Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Workout A today. I think I may have figured out the row for good.

Warm up: 13 minutes on the elliptical. When I hit 100 cals on my HRM, I stop, 'cause I don't want to impair my lifts.

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 75, 5x5 @ 90. Felt better than the first times I did this load. Grip seems better to.

Pendlay row: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 55. As I said, I figured out the move. Now, I need to up the loads.

Bench press: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 60. I thought I would stay at 55 (again) because it felt heavy, but I said to myself... *kitten* THAT *kitten*, I'M INCREASING THE LOAD! and I did 5 sets at 60. It was hard, the last rep was always a struggle, but I did it.

Accessories:

1x5 pull ups with assistance
    1 minute plank on the BOSU

Then stretching and some foam rolling that was OMG painful.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok, so I'm super behind on this toping (like ... 11 pages behind).

So... random thought - I did SL yesterday and I really want to do it again today. Just saying. I'm still just starting out (3rd week)... can I do it today if I want to?

OH and I see some people are posting stats and stuff. So... here's mine from yesterday:

Squats 5x5 at 75lb - did it all, but I think I'll do it next time too, my butt was coming up first for some of the lifts (so it must be heavy for me)

Bench attempted 55lb but did 3x5, 1x3 and 1x4... so I'll be repeating that. I should buy 1.25lb plates. 5lb increment is hard for me for bench.

Rows 5x5 at 55lbs, still feels easy, so I'm increasing that :)
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

So... random thought - I did SL yesterday and I really want to do it again today. Just saying. I'm still just starting out (3rd week)... can I do it today if I want to?

OH and I see some people are posting stats and stuff. So... here's mine from yesterday:

Squats 5x5 at 75lb - did it all, but I think I'll do it next time too, my butt was coming up first for some of the lifts (so it must be heavy for me)

Bench attempted 55lb but did 3x5, 1x3 and 1x4... so I'll be repeating that. I should buy 1.25lb plates. 5lb increment is hard for me for bench.

Give it a day in between. Gives your muscles time to recover.

• glwerth
    Options
    I hit 3 of my 5 dead lifts at

After that, my body just said "nope, not lifting it" and I couldn't move the bar at all. Still not sure if it is metal or physical, but I'm staying at this weight and going for all 5 next time, but I'll take 4.

170 squats, 5x5, staying at this weight one more workout before moving up (by 1 pound, not 5!).

97 on OHP. After all this time, you'd think it would be higher, but you'd be wrong. These are so hard for me and I HATE them. But, I did 5x5 and will increase next time.

Incremental plates are the best purchase I ever made, well, aside from the home lifting equipment...so nice not to have to leave. Of course, I also often have cats on the top of my squat cage and sometimes they jump down on me. :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Defintely give your body a day to recover between lifting days. You do the work while you're lifting, but your body does the work (repair and strength) while you rest.
  • glwerth
    Options
    Workout A today. I think I may have figured out the row for good.

Warm up: 13 minutes on the elliptical. When I hit 100 cals on my HRM, I stop, 'cause I don't want to impair my lifts.

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 75, 5x5 @ 90. Felt better than the first times I did this load. Grip seems better to.

Pendlay row: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 55. As I said, I figured out the move. Now, I need to up the loads.

Bench press: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 60. I thought I would stay at 55 (again) because it felt heavy, but I said to myself... *kitten* THAT *kitten*, I'M INCREASING THE LOAD! and I did 5 sets at 60. It was hard, the last rep was always a struggle, but I did it.

Accessories:

1x5 pull ups with assistance
    1 minute plank on the BOSU

Then stretching and some foam rolling that was OMG painful.

You're moving right along! Great work!

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I think I got all of 4 hours of sleep last night and the sleep I did get was filled with anxiety dreams. The good news is I get married tomorrow so I won't have to stress about the wedding for too much longer.

Workout A
    Squat 170 lbs 5x5 these were hard but I think I can blame running for that
    Bench 80 lbs 5x5 deload after too many fails so pretty easy
    Rows 95 lbs 5/4/5/4/3 these are my nemesis. The first rep on all of my sets feels really good. The second one things feel heavy, the third one I can get through, the fourth is questionable and the 5th tends to not come all the way up. So frustrating.

Then I did my recovery run. I ended up finding my pace really easy so instead of the planned 3k I did 5.5k. My pace was 8:29 so it was slow but so relaxing. Helped me burn off some of my anxiousness.

Now I want food and sleep. I might actually manage to get a quick nap in.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Such fantastic weights everyone! I love coming here for two reasons:
    1) Sharing tips etc
    2) Comic relief
    You all are awesome ...

@katro Happy Birthday!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I think I got all of 4 hours of sleep last night and the sleep I did get was filled with anxiety dreams. The good news is I get married tomorrow so I won't have to stress about the wedding for too much longer.

Workout A
    Squat 170 lbs 5x5 these were hard but I think I can blame running for that
    Bench 80 lbs 5x5 deload after too many fails so pretty easy
    Rows 95 lbs 5/4/5/4/3 these are my nemesis. The first rep on all of my sets feels really good. The second one things feel heavy, the third one I can get through, the fourth is questionable and the 5th tends to not come all the way up. So frustrating.

Then I did my recovery run. I ended up finding my pace really easy so instead of the planned 3k I did 5.5k. My pace was 8:29 so it was slow but so relaxing. Helped me burn off some of my anxiousness.

Now I want food and sleep. I might actually manage to get a quick nap in.

Woohoo! Congrats for getting married tomorrow :) and great lifts too!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Lost my post :-(

@katro Happy Birthday!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Okay, lost again--I'll try later...

ETA:
    Squat 5x7 80
    Press 5x6 62.5
    Row 5x5 80

Standing Calf Raises 3x5 50
    Convict Conditioning Step 2 Horizontal Pulls 3x15
    Convict Conditioning Squats Step 6: Close Squats 2x15

Yesterday:
    Convict Conditioning Pushups Step 1: Wall Pushups 2x25
    Convict Conditioning Iron Spine Step 1: Short Bridges 3x25
    Convict Conditioning Six Pack Abs Step 1: Knee Tucks 2x25
    Convict Conditioning Squats Step 6: Close Squats 2x 15

The knee tucks are a killer!!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    Today when I was squatting, I heard Mark Rippetoe in my head..."THERE'S A GOOD SQUAT"

Haha, that's awesome!

So since I'm a weirdo and like to make up songs to sing to my dog when we walk, I started singing "I believe I can squat" to the tune of R. Kelly's "I Believe I can Fly."
    It was pretty awful :p :

I believe I can squat
    I believe I my *kitten* can touch the grass
    I think about it every night and day
    Widen my stance and squat away

Anyway, I took yesterday off so today was Squats and DL's.
    Squats: 3@155, 3@165, 5@175lbs then 3x8 @‌ 130lbs
    Deads: 3@145, 3@165, 3@185lbs then 3x8 @‌ 135lbs

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I'm not sure how I feel about being 30. It's just weird; kinda like my 20's took FOR.EV.ER to be done with and now I have to start over with another decade lol

And I know what I'm going to be singing today. Yeaaaah! Please, make up more songs.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The good news is I get married tomorrow so I won't have to stress about the wedding for too much longer.

This is amazing!! Congrats! :)
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get to the point where grip is becoming a factor in not hitting lifts. Could only finish 3 of 5 DLs, also didn't finish all my squats because my hands were starting to get slippery. Gonna get some chalk over the weekend. Hopefully no one at the gym cares. There's no rules against it.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options

Congratulations! I hope you have a lovely day!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    Congrats @Llamapants86 on your wedding!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    Options
    So excited it's Friday. I am officially 1 month down with SL 5x5. (I technically did my first workout on 12/22 - but then I was pummeled by influenza and didn't start back up until 1/2. So that is an exciting milestone of sorts.

Squats - 85 lbs 5x5. I don't get it...80lbs on Wednesday felt good. Add 5 pounds and it's hard. Anyone else start to feel worn down by the end of the week? Starting to wonder if I need to look at my calories or cardio or just chalk it up as normal human variation...

Bench - 70 lbs 5x5. These are getting tough. But I'm pretty happy that I've been adding weight like I have.

Barbell Row - 55lbs 5x5. I had to deload. Now that I'm not embarrassing myself using a curl bar to do these, I couldn't pull 65lbs all the way to my chest and I felt myself inching my back up.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Another day at the gym, Yay. It wasn't too bad since I didn't have work today, so I went a little earlier than on nights I close. Went pretty well, no waiting or anything, though the cramps didn't help matters (pesky being female).

Workout A

Squat - 5x5 @ 145 - Kept to the weight but doesn't feel too bad. Will do 150 next time.

Bench - 5x5 @ 80 - de-load, so was easy enough.

Row - 5x5 @ 105 - I was going to do 100 but couldn't find another 2.5 so instead of going all the way to other side of gym for one, I used 5's. It actually went pretty well.

3x8 @ 27.5 DB bench and 3x8 22.5 DB row then 35 minutes treadmill with 5 minutes of that where I tried jogging.

The jog was tough cause I haven't done a cardio day lately and don't usually jog at all after lifting. I kinda of look forward to starting c25k because I'll cut down the walking after lifting as I'll be getting cardio different days or in morning, means main gym focus will be on weights and maybe take a little less time.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Phew! Back at it this AM with the 20th day. Only a week left to the program. I can't wait for the transition week as i think I'll be testing some maxes before I truly deload and transition to a different program. That's always exciting ^^

EMOTM x8 of assisted pull-ups/chin-ups. I used my black and blue bands (so ~ 50-60lbs of assist I think), and managed 3 reps on all sets of chin-ups and 2 reps on all pull-ups except the very last round.

Moved on to 4 rounds of the double KB complex (used 2x30#)
    - wide stance sumo deadlift x5
    - front squat x5
    - push press x5 (turned into more of a push jerk towards the end)
    - thrusters x5

the toughest part is always to last through the thrusters. Your shoulders are burning and can barely get the weight overhead, but holding them in the front rack position is also somewhat taxing, so you just gotta bite down and get through it. Loved it! Haha

Then the finisher was an EMOTM x6 of
    - Double KB power clean (used the 30#ers again) x3
    - hanging knee raises RAT

The last time I did this I had 2x25# and managed 66 total knee raises. This time around I did 74 total! The extra grip work has paid off because my abs were giving in before my grip did today!

Then did a 5x5 of squats with 125lbs and they were feeling great. New shoes don't have a raise in the heel when I sink down so I can power back up much more efficiently. Can't wait to test some heavier weight with this, but I'm sticking to the plan of increasing slowleh while on this program!

Now I'm gonna go shower, retake my measurements then go brave the cold to get myself my cheat footlong sub (and maybe cookies) that I've been craving for a while. Wee!
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Another rough work day yesterday, I didn't get to my workouts until 9pm. At that point I was debating between crying over a pint of ice cream or getting my lifts done. I ended up going with the lifts, but lighter.

1x5 pullups, assisted *Green band #5 - 50-120 lbs* in the morning
    10 min stretches
    2x10@65 warmup squats

SQ: 5x5@105#. My deload weight, focused on breathing, keeping core and glutes tight and went ATG.

BP: 5x5@65#. Maintained this weight from last time.

Rows: 1x5@75#, 5x5@65#, 5x5@70#. Started off 75, then went down, then up.

Accessories (focused on upper/core):
    1x5 hanging ab crunches
    5x8@25# kettlebell upright rows
    5x8@40# dumbbell arnold presses

After all was done, my man brung me home a burger and fries. Felt much much better.