Recipes

Options

Replies

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would love that even without the paninni grill. You'll have to let us know when you get one and how you like it anew.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It will be awhile (like months) before I get a paninni grill unless my husband decides he wants that real bad. If I find one on sale I might go for it though.

In the meantime I went to Walmart, the only store like it near me, and bought a lodge 10" flat skillet so I can cook tortillas on it. The little cast iron skillets I have are too small since hubby isn't here to smash the corn tortilla dough for me tonight. I will need to roll it out instead so I am sure they will be a bit wonky. I'm thinking the pan might work for a sandwich like that one up there.

• isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think that is a great idea! :) Also, garage sales could be a good place to look for an inexpensive paninni grill perhaps...
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    From a post in the main forum...
    echofm1 wrote: »
    To edit a recipe on the website:
    On the top blue bar, click "Food" then when you're at that page, click "Recipes" on the darker blue bar that is below it. Click on the recipe you want to edit. Towards the top of the nutrition fact, just to the left, is a link for "Edit recipe." There you can edit or add ingredients.

To edit a recipe on the app - specifically iPad, but it should be pretty similar.
    Go to (or pull up) the left hand menu. Towards the bottom there should be what looks like a little cog. It may say "Settings" next to it. Tap it. Tap "My Foods and Exercises" and then "My Recipes." From there, click on the recipe you wish to make changes to and you can do so. Though it's trickier to get to, I find recipes easier to edit when using the app.

• mygnsac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And, another post out on the main forum regarding another recipe calculator here on MFP.
    daw0518 wrote: »
    Is it the new calculator on MFP you're having trouble with?

There's no longer a way to get to the old MFP recipe calculator from the site I don't think, but I have it bookmarked & it seems to still work! I beg MFP to never remove the old calculator because the new one is completely unusable to me (and a lot of others, apparently!)

Anyways, here's the link I have:

It's much easier to use, in my opinion. myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I came across this recipe and I don't have a paninni maker I need to get one because my husband likes sandwiches grilled on a paninni grill. At first glance of the recipe I thought it was going to be a bad sandwich but I see it isn't so bad after all.

Here is the nutrition info for one whole sandwich with two pieces of bread. I see this would make a great snack if I shared it with my husband or just made half a sandwich. This was using HEB cinnamon bread they call french toast and there are no raisins in it.

Breakfast-Peanut Butter Panini with Banana and Pineapple, 1 serving(s)

Calories 349
    Carbs 59
    Fat 11
    Protein 8
    Sodium 231
    Sugar 26

Here is the link to the recipe and it won't let me copy the picture of the sandwich but you will see how delicious the sandwich looks.

bellahousewares.com/recipes/paninis/peanut-butter-panini-with-pineapple-and-banana

I think I am going to buy a paninni maker in the future.

Ok, so this recipe is a go, yummy! I used my new flat cast iron skillet and cooked it like a grilled cheese which required adding butter to it. I used a half teaspoon on each bread slice. My husband really liked the sandwich, the warm pineapple really kicks this sandwich up a notch in flavor. I used fresh pineapple chunks because I don't buy canned pineapple, so be careful flipping the sandwich if you use a skillet and pineapple chunks and the bananas could easily come off too.

I also found a paninni grill on sale at Macy's for $19.99 with a $10 rebate as well which makes this Bella brand paninni grill only $9.99 instead of $49.99 after rebate is received.

Here is the link and the sale ends today at Macy's online. It might be available in store for you but I have to drive 35 miles to get there so I would rather just pay the shipping cost.

Here is the link to the paninni grill

www1.macys.com/shop/product/bella-13267-panini-grill?ID=315154&upc_ID=1354364&Quantity=1&seqNo=2&EXTRA_PARAMETER=BAG

And here is the link to the rebate form

https://www.macysrebates.com/static/quicktrack/macys/Current-dotcom-Rebate-Form.pdf?cm_sp=popup-_-646362-_-Get-Rebate

So, sale ends today and the rebate ends today for purchasing and qualifying for the mail in rebate.

Off to shop so I can make the sandwich without extra butter because you don't need it with a paninni grill.

Update:

What a deal, I put in the extra 20% off Code of WKND and I received an additional 20% off the grill. Wow!

• anewstart22
    Options
    I have been talking about a vegetable called Fennel in the Pot Bellied Stove Water Cooler thread and wanted to post about it here.

This is a recipe for Caramelized Fennel and I definitely think this would be fantastic as a side or as an added ingredient to Lynn Matava's Layered Quinoa recipe.

putneyfarm.com/2012/04/05/caramelized-fennel-the-best-fennel-youll-ever-eat/

This is their picture licensed to them so not claiming it to be mine

fennel1.jpg

• anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Leek and Potato Soup is one of my mainstays of soup. It is great hot or cold but I prefer it hot and it can be a side or a snack.

Leek and Potato Soup-higher salt version-to make it lower salt use homemade broth or low salt broth. I use Swansons canned broth.

Couldn't be easier Leek and Potato Soup Recipe from the website below. This is the same website I found the Lobster Bisque recipe for my husband.

oneforthetable.com

Ingredients

2 leeks (white and pale green parts only) cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced
    3-4 potatoes peeled, cut in half then sliced-I dice them.
    1 Tablespoon butter
    4 cups or so of chicken broth or water or a combination (home made broth is best, of course)
    salt & pepper to taste-I don't actually add salt to this recipe because there is plenty in the broth I use.

Note: To clean the leeks, place the chopped leeks in a bowl of water and swish around until the leeks are clean. Lift the leeks out carefully, leaving the grit in the bottom of the bowl.

Here is a video on how to prep Leeks. I don't just put them in the bowl of water, instead I run them under cold water before I cut them into thin slices. Then I break the thin slices apart in the bowl of water while rubbing them. This helps get rid of any additional dirt I wasn't able to get off of them.

I also stir the sliced leeks and let them sit for a few minutes in the bowl to allow any of the leftover dirt to fall to the bottom of the bowl. By rinsing them under water before slicing them it seems to get most of the dirt out first.

Here is the video on prepping leeks.

realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/preparation/prepare-leeks

Instructions

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks; stir to coat with butter. Cover saucepan; cook until leeks are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes.

Add chopped potatoes. Cover and cook until potatoes begin to soften, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add liquid. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Puree soup in batches in processor until smooth or use an immersion blender directly in the pot. Thin with additional broth, water or milk if soup is too thick.

This soup can be very smooth or chunky as you prefer. Season with a good amount of salt and a little pepper. Top with a swirl of creme fraiche or sour cream if you desire.

Note: This recipe makes three (3) servings that are quite large, we easily get about 5 or 6 servings from one batch because we serve as a side to our meals.

I use an immersion blender in the pot because it is so much easier to do that instead of putting it all into a blender. Make sure your pan is a deep stock pot if you are using an immersion blender because the soup could be thrown out of the pot if the pan sides aren't tall.

I have been known to top with some chopped green onions with some Creme Frachie once in a while but I really prefer it just on it's own.

Here are the Nutrition facts for this soup-it seems high in sodium but for me it isn't. I barely go over 1500 mg of sodium per day and when I do it is even rarer that I would go over 2500 mg of sodium in a day. Seems I only go really high when I eat food out, like the chicken I had last night.

If this is too much sodium for you then please use low sodium chicken broth or homemade, so that you can control the sodium in the soup.

Calories 265

Carbs 53

Fat 4

Protein 6

Sodium 602

Sugars 3
  • mygnsac
    Options
    ^^ I'm going to have to make that. It sounds yummy! Thanks, Anew.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    You are quite welcome mygnsac, I hope you like it. I use chicken broth and no water in my recipe. I also suggest you don't add all of the chicken broth at once but add half and then blend. If it is too thick add more broth to make it the thickness you like.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    Life doesn't have to be about the healthiest food, I think we sometimes have to enjoy ourselves and go for it. I like Christy on Southern Plate and I know some of her recipes are not the healthiest but it is southern cooking. If you remember your grandmas biscuits you will enjoy this video Christy made on the techniques of making them. My computer was slow or the video was slow, I don't know which but she has alot of fun when she is in the kitchen.

southernplate.com/2015/02/biscuit-class-classic-3-ingredient-biscuits.html/comment-page-1#comment-6271534

• arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    This was fun.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    arobed53 wrote: »
    This was fun.

LOl, yes I like watching her on videos and she has this funny saying.
    "Whatever Cranks your Tractor", lol.

• anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am adding my Turkey Burger Recipe here, this is only the meat part of the burger.

Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp Tabasco or Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce

Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix with hands until just combined.

Form meat into 4 equal patties (about 3-1/2 inches in diameter by 3/4 inch thick) and chill on a plate 15 minutes.

Preheat grill. Coat burgers with oil and grill burgers on lightly oiled rack over moderate to moderately low heat, turning once, until golden brown, and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Put burgers and accompaniments on bottom of 4 buns and top with remaining bun halves.

Makes 4 burgers.

Notes:
    Remember to add the oil used to coat the burgers before cooking to your food log. I use grapeseed oil and it is great.

I have also cooked them under the broiler for about 4-6 minutes per side too.
  • sannferris
    sannferris Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video, I couldn't get through to it yesterday and finally gave up, but seeing that Debora got it, I tried again this morning. I think I'm going to like that whole web site, Southern Plate. I can hardly wait to browse all the categories.
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I lighten up the recipes I want to make, whether it means less sugar, butter or oil. It might not be exact to her recipe but it usually still tastes good. I wouldn't change a baking recipe though, thats a science I don't mess with, lol.
  • anewstart22
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am adding my Turkey Burger Recipe here, this is only the meat part of the burger.

Turkey Burgers

1 lb ground turkey
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp Tabasco or Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce

Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl and gently mix with hands until just combined.

Form meat into 4 equal patties (about 3-1/2 inches in diameter by 3/4 inch thick) and chill on a plate 15 minutes.

Preheat grill. Coat burgers with oil and grill burgers on lightly oiled rack over moderate to moderately low heat, turning once, until golden brown, and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.

Put burgers and accompaniments on bottom of 4 buns and top with remaining bun halves.

Makes 4 burgers.

Notes:
    Remember to add the oil used to coat the burgers before cooking to your food log. I use grapeseed oil and it is great.

I have also cooked them under the broiler for about 4-6 minutes per side too.

I wanted to add that I cooked my burgers on my new lodge flat round skillet and they were the best ever. Moist and tender, the edge of the skillet isnt very high but it held the juices just fine. I think because the only fat is what you cook the burger with, I also covered the patties with one of my stainless steel lids to keep the moisture from evaporating.

The burger is also loaded with the veggies and when you form the patties you will be pushing the vegetables back into the meat. You might think you put too many in and you didn't.

I was also out of hot sauce so I used a pinch of cayenne pepper instead. I liked it better and using the cayenne pepper means less salt in the burgers.

• mygnsac
    Options
    Here's a recipe cthompson8083 shared in the Pot Bellied Stove post...
    I wrote a new recipie today :) I was wondering, does anyone remember the meal plans I used to write out? I would like to get back into it if anyone is interested.

General Tso's Meatballs
    Meat balls
    2 pounds Ground Chicken
    4 tablespoons peel and mince Ginger, Fresh
    ½ cups dice Green Onions
    2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
    ½ cups bread crumbs
    2 individual Egg

6 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
    6 tablespoons Honey
    1 cup hoisen sauce
    1 cup water
    1 tbsp red chili flakes

Add meatball ingredients to bowl, mix together, form balls.

Add rest of the ingredients to crock pot whisk to make sauce, add meatballs to crock pot. Cook on low for 4 hours, cool, add to freezer bag to freeze or serve with rice

• mygnsac
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Microwave Brownies

I haven't tried these yet, but sounds interesting...
    Hey everybody!
    Lately i've been trying and perfecting this recipe of a microwavable brownie that's easy, low in calories and also another one a little bit higher in calories but higher in protein!

So, for the first recipe i used these ingredients (you can use only half of the recipe if you want)

30 grams HErshey's unsweetened cocoa powder
    122 grams Natural applesauce
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp Splenda

Nutrition:

Calories: 122
    Carbs: 34
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 3
    Fiber: 14

Directions: Mix dry ingredients in a medium-large bowl so you have enough space to mix everything, add applesauce and mix until well combined.

Grease with spray a ramekin or microwave safe bowl (the one i use is 6 oz. capacity and it fits perfectly) and microwave on high in lapses of 40 seconds to 1 minute until the center is set (it takes like 4-5 minutes in my microwave).

Let cool in the ramekin then flip and it will easily come out, and that's it! a rich, satisfying and delicious brownie is ready to be served.

Wether if you wanna eat it alone or topped with some ice cream and other toppings like i do!

Now for the high protein recipe i used these ingredients:

30 grams Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 container (150grams) Dannon 80 calories 2x protein greek yogurt
    1 scoop (7 grams) Dr. Frank whey protein powder
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tbsp Splenda

Nutrition:

Calories: 165
    Carbs: 28
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 23
    Fiber: 12

Directions: Same as the other normal one

Note: A difference i've noticed between both recipes was that the high protein one has a more moist texture than the one made with applesauce, i don`t know why but the applesauce one is a bit more dense and chewy, the high protein one was more moist but both are very rich and flavorful and will satisfy those late night cravings!

The recipe was from this post.
  • anewstart22
    Options
    The meatballs and brownies look good.