Replies

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YTD swim goal = 32 / 365 miles
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Almost 4 hours of straight swimming? Am I missing something? 2 mile swims? 10K swims? I suppose it's a similar goal to a 10K run, but then again, not really. I would imagine a 10K swim would take much more time to train for. Either way, fantastic goals! Seems everyone at my pool is working on a goal. The pool consistently has 3-4 per lane these days. Nothing like being sandwiched between swimmers to speed you up!
  • mdressage
    mdressage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    New here! Just started Masters three weeks ago after a LONG time away from any serious swimming. Main goal is to stop being a big baby and seriously work on my kick, the strength of which has - somehow :smile: - vanished into thin air. Also, don't quite understand how I'm gaining weight, yet keeping my protein ratio higher than it's ever been (I love carbs!) and monitoring calories on MFP - but oh well - having a blast swimming!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Welcome, mdressage, you'll be back in the swing of it in no time!!!!
  • mdressage
    mdressage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Mac! I'm actually really enjoying the 5:45 a.m. practices, which is crazy!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    As much as I'm most certainly NOT a morning person, I much prefer getting my workout in at 6am when the pool opens.....
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Fishgutzy just for the record, you and Macstraw were my inspiration for my 10 km swim!
    Thanks guys!

That is pretty cool. Mine took me 3 hours and 54 minutes. I'll be happy if My next one comes in under 3:50. :) About 2x competitive time.

Yep took me 4 hours in the pool too! I lost count slightly at some point so I may have done slightly less or more than the 10km. Was great to get through it!
    Almost 4 hours of straight swimming? Am I missing something? 2 mile swims? 10K swims? I suppose it's a similar goal to a 10K run, but then again, not really. I would imagine a 10K swim would take much more time to train for. Either way, fantastic goals! Seems everyone at my pool is working on a goal. The pool consistently has 3-4 per lane these days. Nothing like being sandwiched between swimmers to speed you up!

I think the 10km swim is equivalent to a full marathon run in times of calories burned and so on!
    mdressage wrote: »
    New here! Just started Masters three weeks ago after a LONG time away from any serious swimming. Main goal is to stop being a big baby and seriously work on my kick, the strength of which has - somehow :smile: - vanished into thin air. Also, don't quite understand how I'm gaining weight, yet keeping my protein ratio higher than it's ever been (I love carbs!) and monitoring calories on MFP - but oh well - having a blast swimming!
    Glad to see the new people on here - welcome!!!
    No pool access where I live (rural Ethiopia) but my goal for when I move back to the US this summer is to join a USMS team to 1) remember how to swim and 2) eventually compete again (was competitive/club swimmer through high school, but it's been 10 years since that.)

I've probably swum laps fewer than 10 times since my sprint triathlon in 2012, and I've already decided that its definitely time for me to get back into a pool. As soon as possible.

Love all of the enthusiasm I'm seeing in this thread - definitely getting me more and more excited to be swimming again!

Welcome Celinemarie. The pool awaits you :-)
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    YTD swim goal = 22 / 365 miles
    Great work Bruceapple. I can't wait to get back in the pool next week!!!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Goals:
    • Join the Masters workouts. I'm already a member of USMS but I've never done a coached swim.
    • Get really good at flip turns! I do open turns mostly. Lately I've been adding a 50x10 set on the short course where I do a flip turn but then have to rest a few seconds after each 50 - and some of my turns are just ridiculously bad :)
    • Keep building my endurance. I have no specific goal here but I've gone from 25y being able to swim continuously up to 300m. So just building on that and hopefully doing it more comfortably.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options

That sounds about right! I can only imagine the training... Wow, hats off, folks! Some of you are really taking a bite out of this! It's good to have role models :)

• newoutlook2014
    newoutlook2014 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Curly, if you look at the zoned-out swimmers and see a pull-buoy or kickboard at the end of the lane, they're not really zoning all that much. They do a lot of drills to get that seemingly effortless style.

this is a good point for me to remember. I get frustrated and bored with the drills but must try to remember that it all leads to better technique in the long-run
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest the English Channel, but I see you did that already. Catalina?

So... what the heck are budgy smugglers?

Budgy Smugglers are Mens speedos. Its an Aussie Term. If you "glance" at them it looks like a bloke is trying to smuggle a budgy.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I was gonna suggest the English Channel, but I see you did that already. Catalina?

So... what the heck are budgy smugglers?

Budgy Smugglers are Mens speedos. Its an Aussie Term. If you "glance" at them it looks like a bloke is trying to smuggle a budgy.

Okay, my stomach hurts from laughing, and there is no way I am going to keep a straight face in the pool tomorrow morning.

I like that better than nuthuggers or banana hammock.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

That sounds about right! I can only imagine the training... Wow, hats off, folks! Some of you are really taking a bite out of this! It's good to have role models :)
    For me, it was a goal in 2013 to do a continuous 10K. Since I could already do 5k every day, I start working my way up. And some weekends I would do a 5km (110 laps) in the morning, then another 5km in the afternoon. Other days, I would do 4 miles (141 laps), then 5 miles (176 laps). Then one Sunday, I didn't tell my wife my plans (just in case I didn't make it that far :) Brought 2 bottles of water. A 32 and a 20 ounce.
    Having the digital lap counter is a big plus. 4 digit display. No clock. Just clicks.
    Technically, 10KM is a fraction under 219 laps. But the Monk in me did 220.
    If I can do it, anybody can.
    Calorie count according the MFP calc is about 10 calories per lap for my weight. So about 2200 calories. I ate a 1200 calories breakfast that day :)
    10KM is the Olympic Marathon swim distance. That is why I chose that as my goal.
    Working back up again. Did 4 miles last Sunday.
  • LisaFury9
    Options
    My goals for this year is to increase my front crawl, start openwater swimming and go wild swimming this summer in the Lake District!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I just got back into swimming in November and have worked my way up to doing 1.5 miles (7 x 350 yards plus some cool down laps). My goal for the year is to work up to doing 3 miles once a week on weekends and do 1.5-2.0 miles twice during the week. I've also started doing strength training one or twice a week so as not to lose muscle on account of a very strict diet.

Some of you guys (fishgutzy, AquaticsQuests) have got me thinking about a 10k as a more long-term goal, maybe in 2016, with a continuous 10k maybe in 2106.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YTD swimming for me = 43 miles (January)
    YTD GOAL = 43/365
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    For 2015 my long term goal is simple as I'm a newbie swimmer (1 month), and that is to continue my commitment to swim a minimum of 4 days a week and improve my overall technique and breathing, enabling me to swim continuous laps.

My short term goal is to be able to swim 1 length of the lap pool consistently - freestyle - without stopping mid-lap.

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    YTD swimming for me = 43 miles (January)
    YTD GOAL = 43/365
    Evidently the goal is going to be obliterated!
    You've already shot way past 10% in the first month alone :smile:

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Bruce is racing past me as well - I am on 33.4 miles so far this year. What's worse is that there are quite a few days in Feb where I am travelling and the hotels don't have pools. I think I will have to do some marathon weekends just to get back on track.