Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    edited February 2015
    Hi all, I missed my first Feb-February check-in. Work has has still been crazy hectic and by the time I get home I have just enough energy to do my workout then crash. So here it is....

Started my 100 pushups a day February challenge.

Ramped up my assisted pull up sets to 2x5.

Ever since those hanging ab crunches last week, core and uppers have been mighty sore.

10 min stretches followed by 2x10@65# Squats.

SQ: 5x5@110
    OP: 5,5,5,5,4@65
    DL: 5x5@165

On the dls, the bar really wanted to stay on the ground and my brain kept telling me to not go through with it...but I just said to hell with it, and did 'em. It was really more a mental battle than anything! :D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    And sometimes even just spiders? I'll shriek and try to run away like a little girl.

there's nothing 'just' about spiders. spiders are serious. i mean, you know what it is in your bloodstream if a spider bites you, right? it's spider spit. that is just so much more ewww-ick squicky than anything that could come out of the bum of a bee.

on second thoughts, maybe i'm not 100% on with my reasoning there. i hear you on heights. that's what near-spills do to me; it's ridiculous. but i have such a paralytical Thing about heights that almost crashing can make me suddenly remember that being on a bike means that i'm Up. it's chilling.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    sumnerfan wrote: »
    Apparently I'm a weakling because I couldn't squat the bar with proper form so I switched to 15 lb free weights on each shoulder. Onward and upward I suppose.

That bar is surprisingly heavy! That bar alone weighs more than my 5 year old. I keep reminding myself of that. Not weak at all. Good job :)

Ok, tonight went better than I expected considering how tired I was when I walked out the door after the kid went to bed.

Squat - 5x5 at 115 lbs. This was a repeat. I didn't like my form last time. This time I concentrated on getting low and hip drive, and they felt good.

OHP - 5x5 at 50 lbs. Woo hoo! Killed it after failing last time. I made sure to keep my core tight, which got rid of any back arching I had before. Total duh moment when I figured that out.

DL - 1x5 at 145 lbs. These felt really good. I used a mixed grip, but I forgot to check where the bar sat on my hand, and pinched the flesh a bit. Live and learn!

Going up on all of them next time, but cracking out the fractionals for OHP and going up by 2.5 lbs.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Apparently I'm a weakling because I couldn't squat the bar with proper form so I switched to 15 lb free weights on each shoulder. Onward and upward I suppose.
    So not a weakling! I'm struggling to squat with the bar, and I'm only using a 12lbs standard bar! There's no way I could do the Olympic bar, or even the weights on your shoulders.

Cardio today. I walked three miles in a little under a mile. I usually bring an audiobook, but totally forgot it today. I spent the entire walk telling myself stories.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Cardio today, a nice 40 min walk/jog.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Hugs all round in here to those who need them xx

Workout for me tonight

Squat 5x5 @‌ 140lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 67lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5 @ 200lbs then just for fun and PB testing 1 rep at 220lbs - which is 100kgs!! I'm sooooooo stoked with that!!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Also, some day that bar will feel like nothing. :wink:

Long day but managed to work out okay despite my back bugging me a bit still. It's to the right side and just a dull ache so not too bad. However, I did go easy on almost everything but bench as I was already in a de-load. Still took me a long time because I had to wait to do the row, though I skipped my usual warm up (trx & pushups, etc) and went to lifting right away.

Workout A

Squat - 5x5 @ 115 - nice and low, didn't feel bad though my left hip aches a little when I squat.

Bench - 5x5 @ 85 - managed okay but did feel heavy at the end.

leg press - 3x8 @ 140 - while i waited to do rows. Also did leg extension at an easy wait.

front squat - 1x5, 2x8 @ 45 - waiting still to row.

Row - 5x5 @ 95 - to be safe with the back, went lighter than last time.

35 minute walk on treadmill.

Glad I have tomorrow off from work.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Keep at it and I promise you that the 45lb bar will feel light one day. When I started SL I couldn't do OHP with the 45 lb bar. I started with a pre loaded 30 lb bar & worked up to it. That was in mid October. Just a couple of days ago, after doing my whole workout I did some Good Mornings with just the bar. It seemed so light it felt like I could twirl it like a baton.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Yup! Eventually you'll be warming up with the 45lbs bar! I do 45x10 of wide grip behind the neck press or military press at the beginning of the workout to oil my shoulders up now (and I started doing sets of 8 with the 20lbs fixed bar) ;)

This AM was a weird puppy. Hormones are still messing with my head. Couldn't get a rhythm during my jump rope warm-up... Which took a whoopin' 25 minutes (what the hell?). I really need to cut down on that :!

Did EMOTM x6 of box assisted pistols, 3-4 per leg. My right leg (and knee) struggle with this. My meniscus is not 100% yet, I guess?

Then a 6 min AMRAP of 2x 30# KB
    - 1 leg RDL x6/leg
    - Press to push-press x6

And managed 4 rounds, 6 rdls and cleaned the bells before time was up

Then went into this ladder for time:
    - KB ground to overhead x 10, 20, 30, 20, 10 @35lbs
    - Forward/backwards 10m sprints x2, 4, 6, 4, 2 (I actually forgot to do the backwards on the first 2 sets, tho >_>)
    And finished in 9:53

Moved on to a giant set of
    squats 135x4x3 + 12
    pendaly row 115x4x3 + 4 (this was HEAVY)
    Push-ups x 8, 10, 7, 9, 14 (?)

The last set was an AMRAP and boy was I wobbly after the 12 squats, but I'm pretty sure I had 1-2 more reps in the tank, if only I hadn,t missed my setup 3 times over because the plate on the left had shifted and I couldn't center myself :/

And I did some hanigng work (blissssterrrssss) and hip mobility and wow, 2 hours in the gym again :| I really need to speed this crap up! lol

You guys are rockin it, as usual :)
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Girls, you're rockstars! All of you! Seriously, I was almost dying after my work day yesterday, and I went to bed at 8:30 for a second day in a row. I didn't have any energy to make my cardio, and I skipped it. Again. But the last thing I read over the internet was this thread, and all your check-ins encouraged me to go to the gym this morning.

Not sure it was a good idea. though, 'cause I had to take cough suppressant before going to bed and I'm feeeling like I'm starting to be sick now, but my workout was GREAT. Everything went well, and I felt super strong on the bench.

Workout B

Warm up: Elliptical - 13 minutes.

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 75, 5x5 @ 100. It was good. I should probably up to 105 Friday, but I may repeat if I'm still sick. I had a mini-panic moment with the last rep of the fourth set and thought I would have to drop it, but no, I went up. Yay!

Pendlay rows: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 60. I'm probably ready to go heavier on this one.

Bench: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 55, 5x5 @ 60. Felt really good, better than the first time I did this load. I struggled with the last two sets, but I did them anyway. I'm not ready to go up to 65, I wish I had fractional plates to do 62.5.

Accessories

Pull ups 2x5 (they were easier than usual, yay!)

Plank 60 sec. on the BOSU

Stretch and foam rolling.

Now, I want to have your input on something. I had, before going to bed, something like a nervous breakdown because I didn't have energy to make my cardio and I was feeling guilty about it. The nervous breakdown was more like me feeling tired, and I was trying to explain to my husband how much I find it mentally exhausting and kind of challenging to plan and organize everything in my life (we have big projets that needs a lot of planning, because we will be moving in three months and we plan to go on a honeymoon in July, but I feel like the little things are equally challenging: pack gym bag before going to bed, plan and cook lunch at the same time I am cooking dinner, plan food ahead for the week... those kind of things). Husband, who is really sweet, thinks I may put a lot of pressure on me and proposed a diet break (just food) for one week.

I am eating at a 750 cals deficit for more than 9 months now, and it's true that the perspective of eating at almost maintenance for a week seems wonderful, but I don't know if it will be really helpful, stress wise. What do you think about it?
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    Not logged the last few sessions here but just finished B-

Squats- 52.5kg 5x5 (116lbs)
    OHP 23.5kg 5x5 (52lb)
    DL 70kg (154lb) 1x5

My 500g (about a lb) fractional plates arrived this morning as I wouldn't have managed 25kg at OHP. I did manage them all at this wt but it was tough- not sure I will manage 25kg next time.

The DL was heavy and a big jump from the 65kg I did last time. I should maybe have just went up to 67.5kg and I will def stick at the 70kg next time.

@mirrim52‌ we seem to be at the same stage :)
    @Autumnfilly2005‌ you will be amazed at how quick you progress!
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member

Better to get the form down and work up. Honestly, we all started light to varying degrees.

A standard bar is 45 pounds, you're at 30. That's pretty close, so just hang in there, get your form together and before you know it, you'll be adding plates to that bar because it feels so light.

• glwerth
    I need to de load on dead lifts. I have now failed at 245 three times. So, taking it down 10 and working my way back up.

Is there a point where you just have to 'stay' or is there something anyone knows of to blast past this? It feels so heavy and I have such a hard time even getting the bar off the ground. I kind of feel proud of myself for managing two and a half. (Got it up to knee height on the third one).

Squats 171, 5x5
    OHP 97, 5x5 (wobbly on the last set, but I didn't wait long enough between.)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    @Daiva I would try maybe taking a week off and eat at maintenance. It is amazing the amount of physical stress you put on your body while eating at a long term deficit. I would personally stay away from the scale for that week just because you will get some crazy fluctuations when you up to maintenance calories.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    glwerth wrote: »
    I need to de load on dead lifts. I have now failed at 245 three times. So, taking it down 10 and working my way back up.

Is there a point where you just have to 'stay' or is there something anyone knows of to blast past this? It feels so heavy and I have such a hard time even getting the bar off the ground. I kind of feel proud of myself for managing two and a half. (Got it up to knee height on the third one).

Squats 171, 5x5

What's your diet like (deficit, surplus, maintenance)?

I've heard of people who eventually stall out, then they end up going to a bulk/cut cycle to be able to get pass the stall.

If you're on a deficit, there is only so much gains you can make. So you may have to change up your diet to maintenance or bulk/cut to make further gains.

You could also look into changing up the program (to something like MadCow) just for deadlifts. It's supposed to have you pulling PRs in 4 (or was it 5) weeks.
  • glwerth
    xcalygrl wrote: »

I've heard of people who eventually stall out, then they end up going to a bulk/cut cycle to be able to get pass the stall.

If you're on a deficit, there is only so much gains you can make. So you may have to change up your diet to maintenance or bulk/cut to make further gains.

You could also look into changing up the program (to something like MadCow) just for deadlifts. It's supposed to have you pulling PRs in 4 (or was it 5) weeks.

Diet is cut most days, but random others. I should check out the MadCow post.

It may be due to stress in my life too. My mother has been in the hospital for the last couple of weeks and I've been running back and forth and trying to keep my own life balls in the air. Sleep hasn't been good either.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member

Squats 171, 5x5

You could switch it up for a few workouts and do your deadlifts as EMOTM sets. So you'd end up doing 5 reps, one on each minute. You can then add a minute if you don't feel like you can add weight. Work up to 8 minutes, move up in weight back to 5, keep going until you stall again, then go back to a set of 5 and WHAM you've put on 15 lbs on your deadlifts ;) (results may vary, especially if you're in a deficit)...

@DaivaSimone‌ diet break could definitely help. While others might suggest maintenance, I would actually not even log for 2-3 days (without going insane about it) and then get back to logging at maintenance. Just don't get sucked up in how awesome it is to not weight or meausre every single darn thing you eat >_>
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member

It may be due to stress in my life too. My mother has been in the hospital for the last couple of weeks and I've been running back and forth and trying to keep my own life balls in the air. Sleep hasn't been good either.

You're welcome.

I've noticed that stress can greatly impact my lifts. It could be because I'm more run down than at non-stressful times or just because mentally I'm not there.

Sending healing vibes to your mom. Hope everything works out well for her (and you).
  • @crabada my warm up is similar to yours. I stretch, do a few reps with the bar, a few at 95 and a few at 115 then I do my working weight. If I get tired out warming up, I'll wait a few minutes before my working set. For some reason, the difference between 125 and 130 might as well be 50 pounds rather than 5. I might try half at 125 then the rest at 130 and ease into it or de-load to 115 and work my way up again.

@krokador I'll try to explain my crazy a little bit. When I was little, I put on a pair of pants my mom had folded after taking them off the clothesline outside. A few minutes later, I heard a buzzing sounds and felt an electric pain shoot through my hip and leg twice. I didn't know what was happening so I completely freaked out, ripping the pants off of me to find a dead wasp in there. So now anything that makes that buzzing sound, has a stinger, and flies erratically puts me on edge. One was literally in my pants so I feel like they could be anywhere and sting me at any time lol.

The bumblebees bother me specifically because we had tall rhododendron bushes surrounding the pathway to our front door. They would attract a ton of bumblebees and the buzzing would amplify in my head and give me the fear. I never told my mom about this until later and it suddenly made sense to her why I would sprint into the house and why I refuse to have flowering plants near any pathways.

I don't mind other bugs really unless they're big and hairy and look like they want to poison me.
  • glwerth wrote: »

I'm having the same problem with squats so maybe it is the deficit thing (I am on a small one most days). I guess this question is for anyone but if you do a bulk/cut cycle and up your lifting abilities on the bulk, do you generally lose them on the cut or only just a little bit?

I'm sorry about your mother and hope she gets well :-( That's really hard emotionally and mentally which absolutely affects athletic performance like anything else.