What do you have on your cheat day?

Options
Been on this low carb diet for about a month. Everyone talks about doing a cheat day. So, what do you eat on a cheat day. Can you have a baked potato with that steak on the grill? My weight goes up and down so much it scares me to cheat. All the water I drink, I think i'm going to turn into a river,lol. I'm not complaining at all, I love this low carb diet, it's just finding things to eat other than pasta, potato, and bread.

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Some people don't have cheat days at all, some plan cheat days. It's really up to you what you eat on a cheat day if you want one.
    For special events I decide ahead of time if I will cheat or not. Making a snap decision doesn't help for some reason. Not always successful but no one is perfect.
    For ME, let's say Easter. Let's say I plan to cheat on Easter. I'm not going to eat any ham, cheese and sausage, bacon etc. Why would I? I can eat that any time. I'm going to be eating my fudge eggs, Cadbury eggs, pancakes with syrup and some cheesy potatoes. That's how I feel at least.
    Personally, if I'm up and down in weight, as easy as it is to say "screw it!" and have a cheat day, it'll only hinder you from moving down for good. On the other hand, when you have a lot of success you want to keep it going.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The only real cheats I'm allowing right now is a drink (whiskey or red wine) occasionally.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't feel a need to cheat. Most anything I might want that's carby can be made differently that will be more keto friendly. For example, I craved mac n' cheese the other day. I used shirataki noodles (found near the tofu in my grocery store) and used those instead. 1 full package is 5g of carbs! I also have a birthday coming up, so I've been experimenting with cake recipes for keto. Indulging without cheating! That's what works for me. Hope that helps!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Cheat days usually sound better then they actually are. Getting into ketosis can be very tough for some people (like me), with the keto flu. That's not saying that I haven't cheated...because I did this weekend. I tried to stay on plan, but a girls weekend with breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks and then brunch...it just got away from me. On Saturday, I thought, this is worth it...but this week, seeing my weight up 6 lbs (back down now, but still) AND still not back in ketosis, 4 days out, yeah, probably not worth it.

To each there own though. So whatever you choose, it's yours to do. Just don't let it spiral out of control of Keto is your woe. Use it as a learning opportunity.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't do a ton of cheat days. Around the holidays I took myself to a sushi restaurant and ate a few pieces with rice. That was nice. Otherwise I make lower carb versions of what I'm craving or eat a portion small enough to fit my macros. I know it's cliche but I consider how I eat more of a lifestyle than a diet so cheating the way I live seems a little odd to me. My reasons for not eating carbs (and other things I restrict) are for health overall, not just to lose weight.

As far as potatoes go, on a rare occasion if I really crave it I'll have half of a small sweet potato and just skip some other carbs for the day. Potatoes are pretty healthy in moderation.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everyone talks about doing a cheat day...My weight goes up and down so much it scares me to cheat.

Don't cheat :) Planned cheat days are a thing that some people do, some people just don't worry about it on a holiday or special occasion. But many, many others are aiming to never cheat in an ideal world. If it happens, you just get right back on track, and its fine, but there is no reason at all that you need to plan a cheat day with any sort of regularity just because.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What's a "cheat day"? :wink:

Okay, seriously... I don't generally do planned cheat days or meals. Instead, I make choices on a regular basis. LCHF is my diet, as in, it's the way I generally eat. It's not some "diet" that I follow and feel deprived on and whatever (that was USDA/SAD/MFP style eating for me), so I generally don't feel the need or desire to "cheat."

Does that mean I never choose to eat something that contains carbs/grains/sugar? No, though I do increasingly find that doing so isn't really worth the consequences. So, I may choose one day to have a gluten free cookie, or a few bites of the French Silk pie my husband got for dessert on a night out (actually, I went after the whipped cream on top more than the pie, itself, because the pie was super-sweet), or get a cappuccino even though I know it's going to have more sugar than I usually consume. I accept the consequences that come with it (both with how I feel and things like on the scale), and move on.

When I choose what I eat, it's generally a conscious decision whether or not to eat it. As a result, I make the conscious decision that yes, I'm going to have the cookie or whatever, so it's not a surprise and I don't feel guilty over it. More often than not, though, I have little to no desire for such things, and even seeing them on a menu in a restaurant (and not just desserts, but things like pancakes and French toast, too) doesn't generally trigger any kind of desire for them, anymore (though, admittedly, smell still does, and that's harder to resist, but doable).

I don't really like the idea of planned cheat days just because. They strike me as a remnant of the fad diet mindset and in my opinion perpetuates the notion that this way of eating is or should be "hard" or "restrictive." The mindset that comes along with that, too, the "I can't have this," is counterproductive to any lifestyle change, in my opinion, and perspective is the kingmaker in this arena. I can have that cake or cookie or donut or whatever, but I choose not to. I decide I don't want it (or the consequences that come from eating it). It might seem like a small difference, but the effects are huge, and it's hugely empowering when you actually make that shift.

It does take a little getting used to if you're used to basing your meals around grains, but it can be done, and very soon, it will become second nature (true story -- it doesn't even really occur to me to ask for anything other than lettuce wrapped or bunless when I get a burger anymore). Base your meals around meats and non-starchy vegetables. Start with simple stuff, then experiment from there. Don't keep the pastas and breads around the house (if you have a spouse that doesn't do it, a common arrangement is that they keep their carby stuff at the office and/or have it for lunch and dinners are primarily LCHF), for the first couple of months, at least, until you can break the "starch-first" mindset. Then you can bring stuff like rice or potatoes in for an extra side for the more carby family members.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I rarely have cheat days because it messes with my tummy and meds I am on, but If i could choose a cheat day, it'd be all the veggies I could eat all day long.

Seriously, this low low carb thing makes me miss my veggies soooo much!
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of these posts. I don't plan any kind of "cheats" and I haven't had the desire to. I have read and heard too many post-cheating complaints about getting kicked out of ketosis, having to go through keto flu basically all over again, gaining lbs, etc. I don't crave foods I "shouldn't" eat on keto. The fat is enough to keep me satisfied all the time without cravings. I feel like I'm cheating all the time with the kind of stuff I can eat. But that's just me.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Another person chiming in with "I don't have cheat days." I feel like a lot of people think everyone has cheat days because people tend to talk about them when they happen. Those of us who don't cheat don't often talk about it. It's not like not cheating is newsworthy. It's funny, but often those who are most strict with their diet are also the ones least likely to have something to talk about (aside from success).
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't use the word cheat. It conjures all up all sorts of negativity and guilt.

I do what dragonwolf does. I decide, then and there, if I'm going to eat it or not and then live with it. This is life. Sometimes that chocolate chip cookie has my name it. Most times it doesn't. Even if I do decide to eat it I might get half way through and not want the rest. So I don't eat it. I have a teenage son and he's happy to finish it off otherwise it goes in the bin. I will sometimes work a particular food into my macros for the day. If I want to eat that fun size Mars Bar that will be the only carb I eat for the day.

What I've found more often now is that things don't taste the way you remember they do. I was salivating over some M&M's the other day, remembering how good they tasted. So I decided to have a couple. I ate one. It tasted really bad. Really bad. Nothing like the memory I had. I discovered that I was wasn't missing out anything after all and decided to have a cup of tea to wash the taste out of my mouth.

Different approaches work for different people. You don't have to eat any carbs at all if you choose. It's all about choices.
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not wanting to cheat by any means. I have read that people being on low carb diets should have a cheat day. So, I just thought I'd ask about it. I'm new to this type of dieting, just trying to get all the details about it as I can. The low carb diet is the best diet I have ever been on. Cheating and gaining is not worth prolonging me from reaching my goal. It just ain't worth it!! I am just know being about to notice a difference in my clothes and in the mirror.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I would wait at least a couple months before the first one. Some people find diet breaks, especially planned ones, help with compliance. For some people, like my wife, never eating carbs again is just too daunting an idea to face. So, she plans on one day every so often. Then she knows she just needs to be strict until that day.

Personally, I found being strict with not allowing them eventually led to a lack of desire for them. The thought of most foods people wants on cheat days doesn't appeal to me at all.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I tried to cheat the other day, have a few bites of cake. EEEEE GAWD i threw up for hours, my stomach can't handle cheats.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Eat (verb) is what I do. Diet (noun) is what I eat. I can't cheat on a diet; if I eat it, it is my diet. Whatever I chose to eat (whether It's a wise choice or a foolish one) is my diet and I have no choice but to live (or not live) with the results.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Two months in I loaded up on pasta and a milkshake it was worse than giving up carbs to start with in my case. Three months in I loaded up on oranges and cherries that were about to spoil after Christmas. Not as nasty of a time as with the pasta and refined sugar carb load but bad to know I would be an idiot to try that again in my personal case.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Who are you cheating?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm not wanting to cheat by any means. I have read that people being on low carb diets should have a cheat day. So, I just thought I'd ask about it. I'm new to this type of dieting, just trying to get all the details about it as I can. The low carb diet is the best diet I have ever been on. Cheating and gaining is not worth prolonging me from reaching my goal. It just ain't worth it!! I am just know being about to notice a difference in my clothes and in the mirror.

Ever notice who the people are that say that most of the time? In my experience, they're very often the people that seem to be convinced that making an effort to lose weight should come with a certain level of misery (usually, hunger is the accepted poison), and convinced that such an "extreme" way of eating would create the height of misery (how can you never eat X again?!), and that the only way to be able to sustain it is to "allow oneself" to eat whatever "restricted" item.

There is one exception to this kind of thing -- cyclical ketogenic or "Carb Nite" -- but the "carb-up" day isn't really a "cheat" day. It's a planned day where the person basically inverts their carb and fat intake for the specific reason of refilling glycogen stores. It could seem like a "cheat" day, since they eat a ton of stuff they normally wouldn't and probably get their carbs by any means necessary, but it's still a part of the cyclical nature of that way of eating. The people that follow those types of plans, though, are generally already pretty lean and very active, and found standard keto or LCHF to not work so well (due to the physiological differences between such very lean people and the rest of us who haven't reached that point yet), and have found it as necessary for their health as most of us find standard LCHF necessary for ours.

The fun part is that we can turn that whole "if it fits your macros" thing right back at most of the people that claim we "need" cheat days. Eating that cookie, cake, pasta, potato, etc. doesn't fit in my macros, so I generally choose not to eat it. Problem solved. They tend to not like that. :wink:
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    *sniff* wow I think I found the right forum! So pleased to read these responses. Good job people!!!
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't have "cheat days."

Hopefully, eating Low Carb/Paleo is an enjoyable way of life, not temporary torture for which relief is required.