I am reading Skaldeman's "lose weight by eating more".

Options
yturie47
yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
I like the simplicity of his ratio guide but am not sure I am doing it correctly. For example today I have eaten 126 gr Fat, 65gr protein, and 54 gr carbs. So dividing the fat grams by the sum of protein and carbs I have a ratio of 1.058. I am hoping that is good. I think it is. I really like the idea of not counting calories and getting bogged down in the details. I am close to my ideal weight (about 10 to 15 lbs) and I really don't care if it takes a while to get there. However, since this is such a drastic change from how I was eating to achieve my former weight loss of another 25 lbs I feel unsure that this is a good plan for me. I am 5'1" , 67 yo and my goal weight is between 115 and 120. I am really interested in the idea of increasing my energy and general health touted by Mr. Skaldeman. I do not have any health issues other than a higher LDL which I am on a statin for. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I know many of you are very knowledgeable about the low carb theories. Thanks so much!

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think that is ok. I am so insulin sensitivite I have to stay at 20 carbs or under preferable to get any loss for me. Many can allow more carbs. BUT as I understand it the carbs need to come from non starch vegetables not breads or potatoes carrots.

I do have a lot more energy. I am not sure if it is from eating the Skaldeman way or just going low carb. I also enjoyed his recipes. Very simple and I use them often.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know about his book. I have done lchf and lost 40 lbs by counting calories on mfp. When I tried to continue to lose w/o counting calories but continuing to do lchf I gained ten pounds back. It would be great to be able to eat and not have to worry about all the logging. I also like easy recipes so will buy his book. Thanks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yturie47 wrote: »
    I like the simplicity of his ratio guide but am not sure I am doing it correctly. For example today I have eaten 126 gr Fat, 65gr protein, and 54 gr carbs. So dividing the fat grams by the sum of protein and carbs I have a ratio of 1.058. I am hoping that is good. I think it is. I really like the idea of not counting calories and getting bogged down in the details. I am close to my ideal weight (about 10 to 15 lbs) and I really don't care if it takes a while to get there. However, since this is such a drastic change from how I was eating to achieve my former weight loss of another 25 lbs I feel unsure that this is a good plan for me. I am 5'1" , 67 yo and my goal weight is between 115 and 120. I am really interested in the idea of increasing my energy and general health touted by Mr. Skaldeman. I do not have any health issues other than a higher LDL which I am on a statin for. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated as I know many of you are very knowledgeable about the low carb theories. Thanks so much!

One thing to note with the LDL thing is that LCHF will make that number higher on the standard test. This is because LCHF makes the LDL particles larger and fluffier (which is a good thing, as they behave more like HDL). Make sure you get it directly measured and you get the LDL-P and VAP tests. Also, put more stock in your ratios than the LDL number by itself, as it's the ratios (and HDL number) that are more accurate predictors of CVD risk (see also: Framingham Heart Study -- https://www.framinghamheartstudy.org/risk-functions/cardiovascular-disease/30-year-risk.php ). In other words, you may not need statins.

As I understand it, since you're close to your ideal weight, the 1.058 ratio is pretty good. The general rule of thumb is that the more excess weight you have, the closer to 2 you want that, but anything over 1 is supposed to be good for fat burning. I believe his book has more specific ratio goals depending on how much weight you need to lose.

Deansdad did a summary of it a while back that may be of use to you -- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10033601/lchf-for-dummies/p1
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    In other words, you may not need statins.

Yep! Reading Perlmutter's Grain Brain first opened my eyes to this, and Kresser has a lot of good info too: http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-statins-dont-save-lives-in-people-without-heart-disease
  • yturie47
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I was kind of wondering about continuing indefinitely on Simvastatin given potential side effects. Started 3 years ago. I will be seeing my Doctor in a few weeks and am due for blood work I will do the research you have pointed me to and discuss this with him.

Also, I've noticed a distinct lack of interest in cardio exercise in this approach to wellness. I have been pushing myself to be more active and get stronger. Does this have any effect on the macro ratios? I'm not talking serious competitive routines here :p . I would rather read a book or garden than run a marathon! But of course, use or lose it always motivates me.
  • yturie47
    Options
    Heliconia wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know about his book. I have done lchf and lost 40 lbs by counting calories on mfp. When I tried to continue to lose w/o counting calories but continuing to do lchf I gained ten pounds back. It would be great to be able to eat and not have to worry about all the logging. I also like easy recipes so will buy his book. Thanks.

Give me your opinion about the book. I have just read the sample on Amazon with my Kindle. Congratulations on your weight loss. Don't get discouraged by a small gain. Just get right back on the program. I am afraid of gaining weight also. Watching those all those yummy fat calories pile up is disturbing.

Digging into LCHF, I have stopped focusing on calorie burning activities which of course means I 've become much less active recently. Somehow it has to mesh together into the right habits and lifestyle.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think we've had so many decades of "carbo loading" for exercise that it's hard to look past that when keeping keto. The ol' "eat a big spaghetti dinner the night before a race" thing ...
    Once you're keto adapted you should be able to function a-ok in your cardio endeavors. Check out Volek & Phinney's book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" for the nitty-gritty.