February ETL - Food and Fitness

Options

Replies

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Wow - red lentil kale is your favorite soup ever?!?! I definitely have to try it!!

I totally crashed hard last night/this morning and didn't feel my fitbit silent alarm vibrating on my arm. OOPS! I guess I needed it, though... but I really wanted to start my day on the treadmill. I have a card class that I'm teaching tonight, so it's just not going to happen at all today now. :disappointed: Also, I had to resort to toast for breakfast, and I didn't have any time to pack myself a lunch. I'm going to go out in search of a nice, big salad...

AND, to make things worse, I'm going to be working all weekend. I have to try to fit about 27 hours of work into 2 days. BOO!! Hopefully I'll be able to find some time for workouts, but it's not looking good. Wish me luck!

Alright, I've gotta get to it. Have a great day - better than mine!! I wish I could be excited about the weekend, but I'm just not feelin' it...
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Yay it's Friday!! I think it will be a pretty crappy work day but I'm pretty happy that it's Friday and I can sleep a bit longer tonight! I brought coffee and muffins for my office today as a nice pick-me-up. I had a bit of a muffin and took a coffee but I had fruit salad for breakfast so I'm hoping it evens out. I am feeling pretty motivated today and for this weekend! My back is finally feeling less awful too, so I'm hoping if I take it easy this weekend, I can try T25 again Monday.

Karrie, blech to your weekend!!! I hope you at least have some good sleeps... why so much work this weekend?

Mihani, how are your hands doing? Do you get some weekend time? I have tried the kale lentil soup, but not in awhile, so thanks for suggesting it! I love it too and will bust it out for lunches next week. I think the Tortilla soup wins for me though!

Sabine, awesome hubby!! That's so nice to wake up to! Sounds delicious too :)

Elena, I think I will follow suit and try out a yoga class this week. I sometimes forget that it helps not only flexibility etc, but is so nice and relaxing to do! I hope to get a chance to do that and some hiking :)

Kelle, no worries, I'm sure you weren't difficult! haha. It is true though, restaurants should take things like that seriously. For all they knew, you had a bad allergy or what not. Or just because you asked specifically. I know some people are rude to waitresses/waitors about it, but I'm sure they thought you were really nice about it! Awesome that you could have veg soup at Panera without probs though :)

Scott, actually loved loved your blog! Very sensible and good common sense (especially in the face of an extremely overreactive forum atmosphere!). Well written :)

Hope everyone has a nice weekend! I am hoping to squeeze in a movie or two. I saw Birdman last weekend and loved it; hopefully Whiplash this weekend. Anyone else excited about oscar movies?
  • EIEIElenaO
    EIEIElenaO Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I made it to yoga yesterday afternoon. It was a restorative class, which is really just a bunch of organized napping. I was feeling tweaky all day, so it was hard to settle in. But by the end, I started to feel some of the stress leave my body.

Sloth: Dental surgery? Ouch! And my take on falling off the wagon is that the wagon travels on a circular path. Just jump back on when it comes around again. (at least this circular path is my explanation of why I always repeat the same "mistakes" over and over throughout life.)

Kelle: Wow. 10 days left. That's finger counting range. You don't even need to use your toes to keep track. Enjoy the home stretch.

Lia: My yoga practice is primarily for stress management (though I do gain some strength and flexibility too). Stress is probably the most important thing for me. If I can deal with that, I can can handle all the other things -- like fitness, eating healthfully, working efficiently, being a loving friend and partner.

and speaking of. . . a while back, I signed up for a yoga weekend to celebrate having turned 50 last fall. It's this weekend! Now that I've officially meno'd, it's also a celebration of entering a new phase of life (fyi, the good attitude comes, in part, from reading Christiane Northrup's "The Wisdom of Menopause"). It's yoga, meditation, some talks and a vegetarian menu on a bucolic 40 acre retreat campus. I can do everything or nothing. So I think I will!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    sloth3toes wrote: »
    I wrote a blog. Probably my first and last. It's a response to someone else's take on 'sugar addiction.' I hope you guys will check it out, and comment.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sloth3toes/view/help-i-m-a-sugar-addict-728617

I don't expect agreement, any comments are, of course, welcome. And any help promoting my blog would be much appreciated. It's not like I have oodles of friends here..... o:)

You rock Sloth.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    EIEIElenaO wrote: »

Sloth: Dental surgery? Ouch! And my take on falling off the wagon is that the wagon travels on a circular path. Just jump back on when it comes around again. (at least this circular path is my explanation of why I always repeat the same "mistakes" over and over throughout life.)

The dental surgery wasn't mine... it was a quote from StarLovesSky. I am terrified of dentists, and barely manage to amble in for cleanings, every couple of years.

I've had dental surgery & thus have fallen off the wagon! But I can still see the wagon
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,921 Member
    Options
    Kelly, it doesn’t sound like you were at all rude about it. Restaurants want you to be happy just like any other business. They want you to come back and tell your friends. By the way, I have a copycat Panera black bean soup recipe posted in the recipes thread. I just added that thread to the announcements so it will stay put because sharing recipes is one of my favorite things about this group. The soup is really really good, and easily made ETL by leaving out the oil and salt. Ten days left in your 6 weeks, woohoo! And I think on my newsfeed I saw 21 pounds down for you? That is fantastic!

Sabine that looks really good!

Scott, I loved your blog post. So well written. I don’t think it should be your last either, you should keep writing!

Karrie, who’d a thunk it right? Red lentil kale soup my favorite soup ever lol. Sounds like you have a brutal weekend ahead. I hope you get some time for you.

Lia, so nice of you to treat the office. Glad to hear your back is doing better. Oh, my hands are acting up again. I kind of felt like things had settled down, but having quite a bit of pain the past few days plus the pins and needles feeling a lot. I am going to have to start thinking about actually having the surgery and quit ignoring the symptoms before I do permanent damage. I don’t wanna have surgery waaaahhhhh! I am so out of touch with what movies are out there right now. I will have to check out the nominees.

Elena, so glad to hear you enjoyed your yoga, and your yoga weekend sounds wonderful.

I had a not very ETL day. My lettuce looked icky when I went to pack my lunch salad, so I went to the grocery on the way to the office to pick up something I could have for lunch. Ended up with tortillas, hummus and lettuce to make a wrap and some pop chips. And a luna bar, which is basically a delightful candy bar with added vitamins. Then I went to my brother’s and had 2 glasses of wine, came home and ate some tortilla soup from the freezer stash (which is dwindling rapidly) and some blue corn chips. I really need to take a day to restock my freezer soups. I want to have plenty squirreled away when I do have surgery so I have easy dinners.

Tomorrow will be back to stricter ETL.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    After a GREAT ETL week, REALLY GREAT, I went down in flames last night. Friday evening will always be my downfall. Perhaps I'll be okay with that in the long run. I did great until 4pm. Then met some friends for wine. Got home and there was pizza waiting. Managed to only have 2 slices. But wine and pizza? come on lol.
    I'm back at it today.
  • Mihani
    Options
    mmmmm, wine and pizza! My outlook is if I'm going down in flames it ought to at least be for something really really good, and it sounds like your evening fits that criteria.

Just got back from the grocery, got ingredients for the 10 spice vegetable soup with cashew cream from the OSG cookbook. I had almost everything already on hand. Also got a zucchini since I had everything but that to make the OSG tortilla soup. I think Angela has the best soup recipes, I want to try them all. Also have plenty of stuff for my breakfast smoothies and lunch salads this week. And also going to make the butternut squash and black bean burritos from OSG website. That should have me plenty full on good plant-based food all week.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Wow, how did I get so far behind? 30 new posts?

There seems to be a bit of a Friday night issue in the group, lol. I did a bit of unplanned eating myself. I made pizza, which I thought was within the guidelines, but then realized the vegan cheese shreds were obviously not, and the serving size of the crust was more than one serving of whole grains. To top it off, I ate a bunch of Trader Joe's Inner Peas for a snack later.

Scott, great blog. I agree so much that the forum can be really unhelpful and often rude, and see any attempt to understand behaviour as excuse making and abdication of personal responsibility. It's like you have to pretend that nothing is difficult or complicated, and the millions of overweight and obese people in the world got there completely independently and for no reason other than personal weakness.

StarLoves Sky, hope you are healing well. I have had several dental surgeries and I know they are a drag. Cut yourself some slack while you get better.

Kelleman, I can't believe they brought you a meat patty when you ordered vegetarian. I am pretty easygoing, but I would actually be upset if that happened to me. Sending it back wasn't even a tiny bit rude. As you said, what if you were vegan or allergic? that was a huge screw-up on the restaurant's part. The edamame sounds better anyway.

Sabine, sounds like a fun slip at least; I know i enjoyed my pizza last night, lol. How long have you been following ETL? I only ask because when I first became vegetarian, i still had cravings for meat for about a year, but after that, I didn't even miss it. Maybe we will find the same with pizza :)

Mihani, sounds like you do a lot of homemade cooking; what's your policy on dinner guests? ;)

Elena, that retreat sounds amazing; lucky you!

Karrie, yikes about your weekend. Is it a special time, tax prep or something? I used to work in brokerage and quarterly earnings weeks were always brutal, working 60-90 hours, but we usually managed to take a few days off after everything went back to normal. Hopefully you can find a bit of time for yourself in the upcoming weeks.

Lia, so you do any rehab or strength training or your back? I had crippling back pain for years, and started seeing a rehab trainer last year. The pain was 90% gone within a few months. I am going to look for someone here, because it's starting to come back now that I moved and stopped going. It might be worth looking into a local chiropractor or rehab clinic.

Not sure what the plan is for today. I think we are going to drive up the coast in the new car :D and try to find a place for a hike in Malibu. I am going to do a bit of research on Solstice canyon and Mount Doom (ok, Point Dume, but my way sounds cooler) and see if either of them would be good for a 2-3 miler.

I am thinking we will stop for a salad for lunch, and then I am planning to make a veggie roast for dinner. There will be quite a few starchy root vegetables, but I will forgo my whole grain serving to make room.

Have a good weekend everyone!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow, how did I get so far behind? 30 new posts?

There seems to be a bit of a Friday night issue in the group, lol. I did a bit of unplanned eating myself. I made pizza, which I thought was within the guidelines, but then realized the vegan cheese shreds were obviously not, and the serving size of the crust was more than one serving of whole grains. To top it off, I ate a bunch of Trader Joe's Inner Peas for a snack later.

Scott, great blog. I agree so much that the forum can be really unhelpful and often rude, and see any attempt to understand behaviour as excuse making and abdication of personal responsibility. It's like you have to pretend that nothing is difficult or complicated, and the millions of overweight and obese people in the world got there completely independently and for no reason other than personal weakness.

StarLoves Sky, hope you are healing well. I have had several dental surgeries and I know they are a drag. Cut yourself some slack while you get better.

Kelleman, I can't believe they brought you a meat patty when you ordered vegetarian. I am pretty easygoing, but I would actually be upset if that happened to me. Sending it back wasn't even a tiny bit rude. As you said, what if you were vegan or allergic? that was a huge screw-up on the restaurant's part. The edamame sounds better anyway.

Sabine, sounds like a fun slip at least; I know i enjoyed my pizza last night, lol. How long have you been following ETL? I only ask because when I first became vegetarian, i still had cravings for meat for about a year, but after that, I didn't even miss it. Maybe we will find the same with pizza :)

Mihani, sounds like you do a lot of homemade cooking; what's your policy on dinner guests? ;)

Elena, that retreat sounds amazing; lucky you!

Karrie, yikes about your weekend. Is it a special time, tax prep or something? I used to work in brokerage and quarterly earnings weeks were always brutal, working 60-90 hours, but we usually managed to take a few days off after everything went back to normal. Hopefully you can find a bit of time for yourself in the upcoming weeks.

Lia, so you do any rehab or strength training or your back? I had crippling back pain for years, and started seeing a rehab trainer last year. The pain was 90% gone within a few months. I am going to look for someone here, because it's starting to come back now that I moved and stopped going. It might be worth looking into a local chiropractor or rehab clinic.

Not sure what the plan is for today. I think we are going to drive up the coast in the new car :D and try to find a place for a hike in Malibu. I am going to do a bit of research on Solstice canyon and Mount Doom (ok, Point Dume, but my way sounds cooler) and see if either of them would be good for a 2-3 miler.

I am thinking we will stop for a salad for lunch, and then I am planning to make a veggie roast for dinner. There will be quite a few starchy root vegetables, but I will forgo my whole grain serving to make room.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    Heh. I suspect I will always crave pizza. But at least I can make it healthier!
    Today I'm back to my old self. Smoothie for breakfast, the acorn squash leftovers for lunch, and for dinner we're having a bok choy and snow pea stir fry with tofu and brown rice.
    (and a little red wine)

ETA: I've eaten sorta "healthy mediterranean" for about 14 years. I've recently been trying to eat with even more of a focus on nutrition. I'd say, since November? Way less animal. Even more veg. Again, I was already eating a primarily plant based diet for the last 14 years.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    mmmmm, wine and pizza! My outlook is if I'm going down in flames it ought to at least be for something really really good, and it sounds like your evening fits that criteria.

Just got back from the grocery, got ingredients for the 10 spice vegetable soup with cashew cream from the OSG cookbook. I had almost everything already on hand. Also got a zucchini since I had everything but that to make the OSG tortilla soup. I think Angela has the best soup recipes, I want to try them all. Also have plenty of stuff for my breakfast smoothies and lunch salads this week. And also going to make the butternut squash and black bean burritos from OSG website. That should have me plenty full on good plant-based food all week.

That sounds divine!
  • Mihani
    Options
    The 10 spice veggie soup with cashew cream from OSG... another winner. Really tasty. Seemed very decadent too. I checked the website and it says it freezes well which is good. I have a big batch of soup here.

Peas, hope you found a good hiking spot. Mount Doom does sound very cool lol. I'm always up for dinner guests but it would be quite a commute for you from CA to OH.

Sabine, I aspire to eat healthy all the time. I slip way too often. I want to lose another 15 to 20 pounds and for over a year those pounds have not budged. I am sure a lot of it is work and letting myself get too stressed and then I don't take time to cook and exercise. It's a goal of mine. To take better care of me. I'm good at telling other people to take care of themselves first, but I don't do so well doing it myself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mihani wrote: »
    The 10 spice veggie soup with cashew cream from OSG... another winner. Really tasty. Seemed very decadent too. I checked the website and it says it freezes well which is good. I have a big batch of soup here.

Peas, hope you found a good hiking spot. Mount Doom does sound very cool lol. I'm always up for dinner guests but it would be quite a commute for you from CA to OH.

Sabine, I aspire to eat healthy all the time. I slip way too often. I want to lose another 15 to 20 pounds and for over a year those pounds have not budged. I am sure a lot of it is work and letting myself get too stressed and then I don't take time to cook and exercise. It's a goal of mine. To take better care of me. I'm good at telling other people to take care of themselves first, but I don't do so well doing it myself.

It's a good, good goal!

I'm going to look for that soup. It sounds so very good. I just adore soups.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Swiped this from another thread. I just thought it was too good not to share.
    Everything you eat should taste awesome.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    sloth3toes wrote: »
    Swiped this from another thread. I just thought it was too good not to share.
    Everything you eat should taste awesome.

:D
    It's true!
  • kelleman1
    kelleman1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so chatty, I'm having a hard time keeping up!

Sloth: I'm getting bored with all the food I've been eating, I wish it all tasted awesome! :/

Mihani: I slip a lot, too. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a downward spiral, especially this past year. My third child has really done me in. Super needy, doesn't sleep well, ahhhh! It's hard to stay on track sometimes. Doing this 6 week challenge is the first time I've ever felt control. But I know I don't want to do this 100 percent.

I will have to check for the panera black bean recipe, thanks!

Yes, 21 pounds gone in 1 month! Just wish I felt different!

Sabine: Wow, a plant based diet for 14 years? Incredible!

And pizza is awesome! ;) When we go to small group, they always have pizza and tacos, and those have been in my face that past 2 meetings. Mmmmm... pizza!

Peas: Why is it so easy to eat a bunch of grains?? I have a feeling that will be my issue after the 6 weeks is up. However, I know I'll be eating less than before. Baby steps.

Whats her name: I hope your weekend got better!

Tomorrow there will be EIGHT DAYS LEFT!! I'm so ready to be done with this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kelleman1 wrote: »
    Everyone is so chatty, I'm having a hard time keeping up!

Sloth: I'm getting bored with all the food I've been eating, I wish it all tasted awesome! :/

Mihani: I slip a lot, too. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a downward spiral, especially this past year. My third child has really done me in. Super needy, doesn't sleep well, ahhhh! It's hard to stay on track sometimes. Doing this 6 week challenge is the first time I've ever felt control. But I know I don't want to do this 100 percent.

I will have to check for the panera black bean recipe, thanks!

Yes, 21 pounds gone in 1 month! Just wish I felt different!

Sabine: Wow, a plant based diet for 14 years? Incredible!

And pizza is awesome! ;) When we go to small group, they always have pizza and tacos, and those have been in my face that past 2 meetings. Mmmmm... pizza!

Peas: Why is it so easy to eat a bunch of grains?? I have a feeling that will be my issue after the 6 weeks is up. However, I know I'll be eating less than before. Baby steps.

Whats her name: I hope your weekend got better!

Tomorrow there will be EIGHT DAYS LEFT!! I'm so ready to be done with this.

21 pounds is amazing!
  • JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been falling behind on posting. I read everything , but it's hard to find time and energy for long posts these days. I've been eating really well during the week, but weekends are harder for me. It's really hard to stay on track when going out to eat or to someone's house. Next weekend will be a big challenge for me since I will be visiting family for 4 days.

Kelleman, 21 pounds is awesome! I know about babies making everything harder. One of my twins is needs to be held all the time, even now at 13 months old. At least they're finally sleeping until a reasonable hour *finger crossed*. But everything is harder when you're not sleeping and have no down time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JCN80 wrote: »
    Sorry I've been falling behind on posting. I read everything , but it's hard to find time and energy for long posts these days. I've been eating really well during the week, but weekends are harder for me. It's really hard to stay on track when going out to eat or to someone's house. Next weekend will be a big challenge for me since I will be visiting family for 4 days.

Kelleman, 21 pounds is awesome! I know about babies making everything harder. One of my twins is needs to be held all the time, even now at 13 months old. At least they're finally sleeping until a reasonable hour *finger crossed*. But everything is harder when you're not sleeping and have no down time.

This is me. I do great until friday night.
    Maybe I'll call it a 1:6 diet lol.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Kelly, I’m sure you have results you just aren’t seeing. We’re usually the last to see and appreciate our own progress. I understand how hard it is to stay on track when you’re tired. Congrats on sticking with the 6 week plan, only 8 days left!

JCN, good to see you. Weekends are harder for all of us I think.

Sabine, hurry and write the 6:1 diet book before someone else does! I posted the link to the 10 spice veggie soup in the recipes thread. I hate the announcements threads because it doesn’t say when there are new posts. I think, if you follow the thread, that it will change to unshaded when there is a new post though. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if that is the case.