Today is Day 100 of my low Carb lifestyle. I'm down 55 pounds.

Options

Replies

• stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is amazing- and inspiring!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    nsoss wrote: »
    Congratulations on the weight loss!

However, looking at your food diary, which is open for everyone to see ... there is so much processed food.

uce4lqin7hre.png

For long term health, it's important to eat real food. There's more to good nutrition that hitting the mark for percentages of fat, carbs and protein. A MacDonald's breakfast sausage may be low carb, but at what cost?

It is good to know there are low carb options when on is on the road. Been losing some on the Huddle House modified breakfast of 5 eggs over easy medium, 3 strips of bacon and 2 sausage patties with 4 cups of coffee with 4 packages of half and half per cup of coffee. I have never been a regular coffee drinker but it is kind of good this weather. I try to make this my last meal of the day between 4-6 PM.
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    In fairness, having worked at McDonald's, I can assure you that the round egg is just a real egg cooked on the grill. The sausage is probably no worse than any other sausage you'd be eating. Not sure why the cheese is so high-carb (relatively), so that's probably the worst of the lot. My biggest concern would be what the egg is cooked in (margarine) and not the actual egg, sausage, and cheese you intend to eat.
    SAUSAGE PATTY:
    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Seasoning (Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Spices, Dextrose, Sugar, Spice Extractives), Preservatives (BHA, Citric Acid and Propyl Gallate).
    PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE:
    Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic
    Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

Meh, not the best for the cheese. The sausage is pretty standard (although I hate that they all have carbs added). But, everything is cooked with margarine.

Adding corn syrup solids, dextrose, and sugar to the sausage patties is completely unnecessary. We can probably also assume that it's the cheapest pork they could come up with, so who knows what the pigs were fed? This matters when you eat meat. You eat what the animal eats.

Lots of crap in the cheese.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Flip that's great, well done. How do you keep your calories so low? I don't think I could be so disciplined - aren't you hungry? Advice please as I've loads more pounds to lose and could learn a lot from you!
  • jonesphotog
    jonesphotog Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Mc D's being not so great for you. But when you leave the house with nothing eaten, and you don't have time, 20% of those times I just don't eat, the other times I grab something.

Honestly @totaloblivia‌ , I don't intentionally keep my calories that low. I try to eat 2 eggs & two pieces of bacon for breakfast. I try to have some almonds for a snack. Then lunch is usually some kind of meat with a salad. That keeps me plenty full until I get home. Last night I just ate some fish and cauliflower and that was my day. That and drinking water whenever I think I'm hungry helps too.
  • Jdkbs
    Jdkbs Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Your transformation is great. Looking forward to your next 100 day progress. (*)
  • jonesphotog
    Options
    Thank you @Jdkbs‌ On my 15 week mark (Sunday) I hit 60 pounds lost!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress! Keep at it. I know that convenience food is not the best nutrition-wise, but some days that is all you can get. I buy salads and packaged meats for my lunches at conbini here in Japan, but get a "real" food meal at home at night.
  • jonesphotog
    Options
    Yes, it is true. I just have to make more of an effort to make sure what I'm eating is healthier then the alternative. Tonight, I did go ahead and cook a weeks worth of chicken breast to eat at work. While I was at it I baked some asparagus for dinner as well.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Way to Go!!!
  • jonesphotog
    Options
    Thanks @LioshaM‌
  • Ruskinbarb
    Ruskinbarb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great!
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! Keep up the good work!
  • jonesphotog
    Options
    Thank you @Ruskinbarb‌ and @fatchimom‌ !!!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    nsoss wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    In fairness, having worked at McDonald's, I can assure you that the round egg is just a real egg cooked on the grill. The sausage is probably no worse than any other sausage you'd be eating. Not sure why the cheese is so high-carb (relatively), so that's probably the worst of the lot. My biggest concern would be what the egg is cooked in (margarine) and not the actual egg, sausage, and cheese you intend to eat.
    SAUSAGE PATTY:
    Ingredients: Pork, Water, Seasoning (Salt, Corn Syrup Solids, Spices, Dextrose, Sugar, Spice Extractives), Preservatives (BHA, Citric Acid and Propyl Gallate).
    PASTEURIZED PROCESS AMERICAN CHEESE:
    Ingredients: Milk, Cream, Water, Cheese Culture, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic
    Acid, Acetic Acid, Enzymes, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Natural Flavor (Dairy Source), Color Added, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

Meh, not the best for the cheese. The sausage is pretty standard (although I hate that they all have carbs added). But, everything is cooked with margarine.

Adding corn syrup solids, dextrose, and sugar to the sausage patties is completely unnecessary. We can probably also assume that it's the cheapest pork they could come up with, so who knows what the pigs were fed? This matters when you eat meat. You eat what the animal eats.

Lots of crap in the cheese.

Farmer John's ingredient list is:
    Fresh pork, water, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, natural flavoring.

Jimmy Dean's ingredient list is:
    INGREDIENTS: PORK, WATER, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICES, SUGAR, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE.

Johnsonville's ingredient list is:
    Pork, water, corn syrup, and less than 2% of the following; salt, spices, monosodium glutamate, dextrose, natural flavors, spice extractives, BHA, citric acid, propyl gallate.

Again, these are not great... not ideal... but this is probably what most people would be cooking for themselves at home, if they were eating sausage. You'll be hard pressed to find breakfast sausage without similar additives. Maybe if you grind your own or have your butcher grind it for you. I don't find McDonald's offerings particularly offensive. We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

Personally, I don't care what the pigs were fed. I don't eat what the animal eats. I eat the animal. If I ate what cows eat, I would be eating grass. I don't eat grass. I eat cows. Again, we may have to disagree on this one.

There is a lot of junk in the cheese. It's probably the worst of the morning food offered. Still, on the whole, it's not much worse than most people would end up cooking for themselves at home. The only major difference is that most people (at least on this group, I hope) would cook with butter or bacon grease, not margarine.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • Jdkbs
    Jdkbs Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow, your doing great! Excellent progress. Thanks for the update, its very inspiring.
  • jonesphotog
    Options
    It's great checking in and seeing all the support @Jdkbs‌ ! It's very motivational!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Great job! But seeing you are a man, your calories are dangerously low. That's even low for a woman. Please tell me your diary is not complete.
  • jonesphotog
    Options
    The past few days, yes they are complete. Definitely not the normal, just too busy to do much else. Taxes, kids, work. It's been a heck of a week.