Work lunches

Options

Replies

• Frisbeelinda
    Options
    What a great idea! The picture is beautiful!
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,852 Member
    Options
    nliette wrote: »
    I bought one of the lunch crockpots. Love it!!! I freeze lunch size meals in red solo cups; then cut way and pop in the crock. Today is chicken in garlic sauce. Others: spaghetti squash w/sauce, zuchini with chicken breast, homemade soups, nachos (layer refried beans, onions/peppers, chicken), baked potato with toppings, any leftovers.

That's a great idea. I have one of those crocks and the only thing we ever used it for was to make nacho cheese. I'm going to have to give your suggestions a try. Thanks.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A lot of great suggestions in this thread. Certainly sounds much better than any kind of prepackaged microwave meals. o:)
  • priyaherian
    priyaherian Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've seen some of you talk about mason jar salad, I googled it and it looked lovely! I've just found a nice one called the Burrito Salad Jar, I saved it to my recipes but I don't know if you can access them? I only downloaded this app yesterday, Abit new to all of it :)
  • philipcummings
    philipcummings Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'll do "flip sandwiches" from time to time. You can do open faced if you don't want the two slices of bread. You could also do it like a lettuce wrap or use the sandwich wraps. All I do is take one of those square shallow plastic containers, put down a paper towel (important), then a leaf of green leaf lettuce (also important). On top of the lettuce, put whatever you want (spinach, tomato, cucumber, turkey, sprouts, peppers, whatevs). I like this Sonoma Canyon Chardonnay Mustard from Vitacost on there too. Keep your bread separate. When it's time for lunch, put a slice of bread on top and flip it over. The paper towel absorbs any liquid and the lettuce keeps everything somewhat together. Best of all, no soggy bread and it is super quick and easy to just flip over a container versus assembling your sandwich at a lunch table.
  • kaz1350
    kaz1350 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mason jar lunches. I just made 3 last night - this time was 1/4 c bow tie pasta, red & orange raw peppers (1/4 c each), bit of onion, diced cucumbers (1/4 c) Trader Joe's ff feta crumbles, whole cherry tomatos and then as much spinach as I can cram in on top. Dressing - one TB EVOO + 2 TB Apricot white balsamic vinegar. Eat with a pack of tuna. I think this recipe is about 275 calories. Use the wide mouth jars. Everything stays nice and fresh and spinach wont get that yucky "wet" look. <3<3
  • weejen73
    weejen73 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas, i usually have soup or poached eggs... whats the jar salads does'nt it get soggy?
  • kaz1350
    kaz1350 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    weejen73 wrote: »
    So many great ideas, i usually have soup or poached eggs... whats the jar salads does'nt it get soggy?
    No - build from bottom up. Most hearty ingredients on bottom of jar to the lightest ingredients. Put dressing on bottom and the top should have the lettuce/spinach. I made them on Sunday night and I will have last one on Wed. Fresh. Just google for different salads to make
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found honey wheat pitas this week. Filled it w/ baby spinach, 2oz of turkey, 1T cottage cheese, paired with an apple or a yogurt. Made for a great filling lunch at right about 200 calories.
  • joeymarszalek
    joeymarszalek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried a nice cabbage slaw this week... but rather than using a traditional slaw dressing, i used a red cider vinegar home made dressing instead and packed it in a mason jar. Deadly good and definitely low cal.
  • Spunkykid578
    Spunkykid578 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love egg salad made with guacamole
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    I like to make a batch of a few different things on a Sunday afternoon and then portion them out for the week. This week it's veggie fried cauliflower rice, butternut squash cauliflower risotto, roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar and honey and snap pea and green pea salad with sesame dressing. My boyfriend and I also recently invested in a few sets of stackable lunchboxes - the set comes with 3 different sizes, so you can keep things separate to make sure nothing gets soggy, and they also have a stackable ice pack that comes with them.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    veggie stir fry.....good way to get lots of veggies and clean out your fridge. :)
  • jujuev
    jujuev Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying wraps. I've made them one week with tuna salad and the other week with turkey breast. I use flat bread called flat out its whole wheat I believe 90 cal. Roll them up with hummus lettuce tomato and my deli meat. Other one was lettuce and the tuna salad mix.
  • brannoncpa
    Options
    Yall are amazing. Stealing recipes!! Thank you. A new lunch treat for me is pink salmon on a triscuit. With a side of fresh pineapple, or blueberries.
  • MomaTplexus247
    MomaTplexus247 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mystic81 wrote: »
    Half an avocado, garlic powder, half a can of No Salt Added chickpeas, squeeze of lime, salt & pepper to taste. Sooo good! I've had this on bread and over lettuce and veggies. Super quick to mash up at work.

• MomaTplexus247
    MomaTplexus247 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, can't wait to try it.
  • nlfellows
    nlfellows Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kaz1350 wrote: »
    mom2boys43 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the mason jar lunches. I make 4-5 at a time and then I just grab one in the morning. If you pack them tightly they stay fresh. I have made mixed salads (I dump it into a bowl at work for easier eating, I even add chopped avocado and just put a slice of lemon on top of the avocado layer and it stays green vs. brown and slimy. I also like quinoa with a balsamic dressing, chopped chicken and whatever else you like such as cranberries and scallions. When I do these, I am much better about having a decent satisfying lunch each day.

I love mason jar lunches - today are red, yellow and orange bell peppers, then a cucumber layer, a bit of onion, then cherry tomatoes, then Trader Joe FF feta crumbles and then I cram as much spinach into the top as I can get. I have a packet of tuna to put in for lunch. Homemade dressing - lemon juice with a bit of Olive Oil. Delish

How do you transport your dressing? Just little separate container?
  • mjsmamma
    mjsmamma Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas, thanks! I freeze portions of soups since they're easy to reheat in the microwave. I have also gotten creative with my salads: salmon fillet over broccoli slaw and sesame ginger dressing; cubed turkey/cranberries/celery with ff greek yogurt & curry powder dressing over romaine; chicken breast/peppers/snap peas/ mandarin oranges over lettuce with a blender dressing of mango, lime juice, cilantro and cumin; and mocktaco salad: beans, avocado, lettuce, a bit of cheddar cheese, crushed baked tortilla chips and a dressing of salsa mixed with ff greek yogurt; tuna salad over lettuce; I make a combo of sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, eggplant and tomatoes a little EVOO and italian spices, then sprinkled with parmesan cheese; quiche with whatever is in the fridge; I am getting hungry!
  • time4play
    time4play Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome and easy to make tuna salad. I blend 1/2 avacado, squeeze of lemon or lime, cilantro, any spicy mustard. Chop up 1 celery stick, 1/2 apple (optional), mix with a can of tuna or I prefer using freshly grilled tuna. I normally make double the batch for two lunches.