The Thyroid Cure / Paleo Diet

Options
Surfingbodi
Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
I met with Michelle Corey yesterday who wrote The Thyroid Cure which she just published and has received strong reviews. She happens to live in my little town so I was able to see her in person. Lovely woman!

The first thing she is having me do is a very clean Paleo diet for 21 days to see if that makes any changes in how I feel which is different than how I normally eat to some extent. Anyone want to join me? I also posted on one of the Paleo Forums so hopefully I will have a few sources to tap into. I have sample meals and shopping lists. I know it shouldn't be that hard but . . . .

Happy Health to all!

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I wonder how it could help someone like me with Hashimoto's. Since my situation is an auto-immune disease, it would seem that the only answer for a 'cure' is to somehow replace the cells that have been killed. After that, it is a matter of preventing those new cells from also being killed and removed.

There has been some research regarding type 1 diabetes (which I also have), another auto-immune disease wherein the pancreatic beta cells are destroyed by one's immune system. Though there isn't anything available yet, Viacyte and Harvard have both found some promising ways to protect transplanted beta cells. The most promising seems to be a method of encapsulating transplanted beta cells to protect them from the immune system, and that may keep them safe for as long as 5 years. Again, that method is still in the R&D phase and is not available as a mid-term cure as of yet. But I wonder if a similar treatment could be used for Hashimoto's?

Nonetheless, I'm not sure that a Paleo diet would help to replace thyroid cells. And that probably means that the cause of your thyroid issue is different than mine. Can you clarify what issue is expected to be helped by a Paleo diet?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I think it is the higher protein or pure protein which enables the body to make more of the long and short chain something or others. Fine, as long as you are not a vegetarian. I think true Paleo reduces grains which can have beneficial results for some. Also Selenium added iodine in the diet or taken in higher levels as been shown to reduce the antibodies which attack the thyroid. It binds the mineral which blocks the t4 becoming t3.

There are so many causes for thyroid problems, to much/too little iodine, two other glands the one on the kidneys and the other at the back of the head not functioning well, that's before you get to the liver and what ever else in the elimination systems.

Sorry I am so vague but its late here and I don't have my notes to hand.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    From what I have read on other websites, the reasoning is that Paleo removes grains / pulses from your diet which are inflammatory for some people. So less inflammation = your body has more chance to heal itself. But you are right @midwesterner85, no one claims that it is going to restore your thyroid.
  • rfritz5
    rfritz5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    from what i understand my antibodies are killing my thyroid, its part of the autoimmune system thinking its protecting me for what ever reason that is. currently in a hyper phase of hashimoto's but im not losing weight and i cant gain i weigh 240 pound and need to lose. im looking for ideas.
  • Aswennu
    Aswennu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This sounds interesting, but as a vegetarian how/what would I eat on a paleo diet?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Aswennu wrote: »
    This sounds interesting, but as a vegetarian how/what would I eat on a paleo diet?

I'm not on the Paleo diet, but my understanding is that it is based on what one might have eaten if alive during the Paleolithic era. It would exclude processed foods and farmed foods (since this time period is believed to have preceded farming) such as grains. I'm not sure if you eat dairy, but I don't think that is allowed. Generally, paleo dieters say that legumes (beans, peanuts) are not allowed because they were not available until farming was developed.

So you can see that it limits you quite a bit, as you are limited to only certain fruits and vegetables. The paleo diet limits you... a vegetarian diet limits you.... so of course doing both is going to limit you a lot, particularly if many of the foods allowed in one diet are excluded from the other. There are things that you can eat, but you are living off apples and lettuce.

For what it's worth, I would point out that the paleo diet is not entirely the "meat only" diet that everyone makes it out to be, as it includes a lot of healthy fruits and vegetables as well. My complaint about the paleo diet is that it seems to be formed with un-confirmed assumptions. While there may be some benefits, it isn't the perfect diet that some die-hard paleo supporters think it is; and it was developed in opposition to scientific facts (such as that we evolved with teeth made for grinding contrary to the argument that our teeth were made mainly for cutting and ripping). In the end, we are omnivores and I would much rather focus on including or excluding specific foods than use a vague blanket like the paleo diet does.

Though I haven't eliminated grains, I will make the point that various studies continue to be released showing that grains can be harmful to humans. If anything, one should be eating organic grains. Roundup is a concern of mine based on some of the research available, and they don't use Roundup on organic foods.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I generally eat a Primal diet, which is a more relaxed version of Paleo. I started strict Paleo for very similar reasons (though I hadn't been officially diagnosed Hashi's then) and then added things back in afterwards. I found that the grains did affect me so I generally stay away from them now, but dairy didn't -- at least not full fat dairy which is what most of my dairy consists of. I also seem to be fine with small amounts of milk (in coffee) and greek yogurt (both full fat and fat free).

I found that it did help me, but it wasn't a full cure. But, once I got diagnosed with Hashi's and got my thyroid and accessory stuff in line (for me that was getting my Vitamin D, magnesium and DHEA in to normal ranges again -- I also have insulin resistance so treat that as well), almost all of my symptoms were alleviated and I was able to lose weight like a normal person -- in line with my calculated deficits.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    According to the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554

"Is there any truth to the hypothyroidism diet? Can certain foods increase thyroid function?

Answers from Todd B. Nippoldt, M.D.

Generally, there's no hypothyroidism diet. Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism."
  • NexStar3
    NexStar3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    According to the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554

"Is there any truth to the hypothyroidism diet? Can certain foods increase thyroid function?

Generally, there's no hypothyroidism diet. Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism."

Again I feel that they are giving you main stream, generic answers. Rather pedestrian attitude if you ask me. Sometimes it is hard for large institutions to support homeopathic type ideas. I don't understand how one can talk about the integrative treating of the whole body without acknowledging diet(as in food) at the same time. JMO
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    NexStar3 wrote: »

Again I feel that they are giving you main stream, generic answers. Rather pedestrian attitude if you ask me. Sometimes it is hard for large institutions to support homeopathic type ideas. I don't understand how one can talk about the integrative treating of the whole body without acknowledging diet(as in food) at the same time. JMO

Especially when you're dealing with a condition in which the most common manifestation is auto-immune in origin (as Hashimoto's is the most common cause for hypothyroidism) and it's pretty commonly accepted that food can have a significant impact on those with auto-immune disorders.

I imagine that this often-quoted passage by Editorgrrl is either gravely mistaken or intentionally misleading in that respect.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me to eat whatever I want. I lost the weight thanks to MFP (calories in vs. calories out), and my thyroid levels eventually entered the "normal" range thanks to Synthroid & Cytomel.

I never said don't go paleo—but I am definitely saying you don't have to.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    My endocrinologist told me to eat whatever I want. I lost the weight thanks to MFP (calories in vs. calories out), and my thyroid levels eventually entered the "normal" range thanks to Synthroid & Cytomel.

I never said don't go paleo—but I am definitely saying you don't have to.

Editorgrrl -- do you have an auto-immune basis for your hypothyroid issue (Hashi's or otherwise)?

Because if you don't, I can totally see no reason for a change in diet. But, if you do, I can see a reason for it. Not all hypo folks are Hashi's (or other auto-immune basis). And if you do have Hashi's, that would be pretty surprising to hear.

If you see great results with no diet change, that's awesome. I only wish I were so lucky (and I'm sure others feel similarly).

• editorgrrl
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I never said I lost weight without any diet change. I eat all the same foods I did before diagnosis (Aug. 2012)—I just eat less.

I honestly thought I gained 30 lbs. for no good reason. But learning to log everything I eat accurately & honestly showed me I was eating way too much. I think Hashi's has messed up my hunger cues. I lost slowly (30 lbs. in a year in a half), but I've maintained for more than six months—by logging for more than 800 days straight.

Also, I lost all the weight before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range. Synthroid & Cytomel reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I learned to log. For me, logging works.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I never said I lost weight without any diet change. I eat all the same foods I did before diagnosis (Aug. 2012)—I just eat less.

I honestly thought I gained 30 lbs. for no good reason. But learning to log everything I eat accurately & honestly showed me I was eating way too much. I think Hashi's has messed up my hunger cues. I lost slowly (30 lbs. in a year in a half), but I've maintained for more than six months—by logging for more than 800 days straight.

Also, I lost all the weight before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range. Synthroid & Cytomel reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I learned to log. For me, logging works.

That's great to hear. I think logging for many works. But many have also found that relying on calories alone isn't 100% of the solution -- that the type of calorie, in addition to the sheer quantity, makes a huge difference for some.

I wish I was one of those people that lost the same amount of weight or maintained just as easily with sheer caloric numbers. But, my own logging experiences has shown me that that isn't the case. I do much better -- in terms of weight loss/maintenance as well as hypo symptoms -- when I avoid certain foods. It's a bummer, but once you realize the connection, it makes the choices much easier because you realize that you won't feel as well and the scale/body fat percentage won't reflect nearly as well.

Just like how people eat differently to help recover after heavy lifting. Getting a proper amount of carbs and protein after heavy lifting helps you recover better, so you can lift more the next time. The sheer number of calories is important too, but the type of calories (carbs, protein, fat) makes a huge difference for many. Not all calories are the same in the body and each person's body reacts to them somewhat differently, especially those with atypical issues like Hashi's.

Good to hear that you're one of the lucky ones!

• twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

That's great to hear. I think logging for many works. But many have also found that relying on calories alone isn't 100% of the solution -- that the type of calorie, in addition to the sheer quantity, makes a huge difference for some.

I wish I was one of those people that lost the same amount of weight or maintained just as easily with sheer caloric numbers. But, my own logging experiences has shown me that that isn't the case. I do much better -- in terms of weight loss/maintenance as well as hypo symptoms -- when I avoid certain foods. It's a bummer, but once you realize the connection, it makes the choices much easier because you realize that you won't feel as well and the scale/body fat percentage won't reflect nearly as well.

Just like how people eat differently to help recover after heavy lifting. Getting a proper amount of carbs and protein after heavy lifting helps you recover better, so you can lift more the next time. The sheer number of calories is important too, but the type of calories (carbs, protein, fat) makes a huge difference for many. Not all calories are the same in the body and each person's body reacts to them somewhat differently, especially those with atypical issues like Hashi's.

I was with you until the last sentence. I'm a firm believer that whatever you want to put in your mouth is your business and vice versa for myself, nor do I believe that we are all cookie cutter projections of each other. What works for one, won't work for all.

Although I take exception to her being considered 'lucky' because logging works for her. I have a long-standing history with graves, 2 rounds of chemical ablation and I am now hypo and on a regular dose of synthroid. Should I also be considered lucky because logging works for me?

I call it dedication when I lose weight by logging honestly, accurate and consistently while expending more fuel than I take in. Not Luck.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

I was with you until the last sentence. I'm a firm believer that whatever you want to put in your mouth is your business and vice versa for myself, nor do I believe that we are all cookie cutter projections of each other. What works for one, won't work for all.

Although I take exception to her being considered 'lucky' because logging works for her. I have a long-standing history with graves, 2 rounds of chemical ablation and I am now hypo and on a regular dose of synthroid. Should I also be considered lucky because logging works for me?

I call it dedication when I lose weight by logging honestly, accurate and consistently while expending more fuel than I take in. Not Luck.

I didn't mean lucky in the effect of logging. I think logging works for everyone to some extent because a lot of people don't realize how much they're eating until they started logging -- which seems to be Editorgrrl's experience. She was just eating way too much and didn't realize it until she started logging. It doesn't sound like her case was exacerbated that much at all by her Hashi's -- she was a classic case of overeating.

I meant that she was lucky because reducing caloric value alone worked for her. I think that often works for many, but for some (especially those with other issues like Hashi's or insulin resistance), they also need to look at what they're eating in addition to how much they're eating because their bodies process certain foods or react to certain foods differently. Just continuing to cut calories for these people can be disastrous.

If it were all about just reducing calories for everyone, this would be a lot easier for many. But, from what I've seen, that's not the whole solution for everyone and certain people really do need to adjust the type of calories they're eating in addition to the quantity of calories they're eating.
  • tamaradwyer
    tamaradwyer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I met with Michelle Corey yesterday who wrote The Thyroid Cure which she just published and has received strong reviews. She happens to live in my little town so I was able to see her in person. Lovely woman!

The first thing she is having me do is a very clean Paleo diet for 21 days to see if that makes any changes in how I feel which is different than how I normally eat to some extent. <snip>

Happy Health to all!

Hey, congrats on shaking up your diet! Let us know how it goes. I must say the focus on protein in the last 15 years or so and now healthy fats has shaken up some of how I eat. My brown rice and veggies now gets a half avocado and pumpkin seeds and sesame oil to boost fats and protein. I eat meat more often. I bake less bread.

Paleo or any similar plan will have you eating out less and having to think up different ways to prepare meals. Set aside one evening or afternoon a week to plan, shop, and prepare meals, and suddenly opening the fridge is faster than fast food. We only have two adults in the house, both of whom will eat "precooked food" without fuss, even if it means eating the same thing 2-3 times in the week.

Paleo makes me giggle though. I choose to eat like a farmer! The mesolithic diet, I call it. I do agree preparing most of your own foods from raw ingredients is the best option. Happiness and health to you too!

(and yes, the struggle to get to and maintain my pre-diagnosis weight is gruesome and real. I can spin that sad tale on some other thread.)
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I meant that she was lucky because reducing caloric value alone worked for her. I think that often works for many, but for some (especially those with other issues like Hashi's or insulin resistance), they also need to look at what they're eating in addition to how much they're eating because their bodies process certain foods or react to certain foods differently. Just continuing to cut calories for these people can be disastrous.

If it were all about just reducing calories for everyone, this would be a lot easier for many. But, from what I've seen, that's not the whole solution for everyone and certain people really do need to adjust the type of calories they're eating in addition to the quantity of calories they're eating.
    I could not agree more. It is not only about how much you eat, but also what you eat.

• editorgrrl
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that whatever you want to put in your mouth is your business and vice versa for myself, nor do I believe that we are all cookie cutter projections of each other. What works for one, won't work for all.

^^^This. I have logged everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly for 813 days straight. I have Hashimoto's, and it took me a year & a half to lose 30 lbs. I'm not "lucky"—I worked bloody hard!

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Yes, you can accomplish that by cutting lots of food out of your diet. But you don't have to.

Generally, there's no hypothyroidism diet. Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that whatever you want to put in your mouth is your business and vice versa for myself, nor do I believe that we are all cookie cutter projections of each other. What works for one, won't work for all.

^^^This. I have logged everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly for 813 days straight. I have Hashimoto's, and it took me a year & a half to lose 30 lbs. I'm not "lucky"—I worked bloody hard!

You lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn. Yes, you can accomplish that by cutting lots of food out of your diet. But you don't have to.

Generally, there's no hypothyroidism diet. Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism.

And this is the thing that drives me **nuts** about editorgrrl's perspective. I'm sorry, editorgrrl, but it's flat out ignorant and uneducated about the different manifestations that *can* be seen by those with hypothyroidism and in particular Hashimoto's. You have ONE manifestation -- one that is actually relatively lucky. One where all you have to do is take your thyroid medication and not overeat like a normal person -- all your stars have aligned. That's really not that hard in comparison to what many others have to deal with because they aren't so *lucky*. There are many others that have *OTHER* manifestations, much more difficult manifestations of Hashimotos that don't respond nearly so well to mere calorie restriction.

How would you have felt had you done EXACTLY what you say you've done -- all that hard work over 2 years -- and seen no results? Or worse yet, felt worse or even gained weight? What about those people?

Because there are those of us out there. I was cutting nearly 1000 calories a day below what I should have needed to -- with painstaking, weigh-every-single-morsel-that-went-into-my-mouth measuring. Cutting calories ALONE does not work for EVERYONE, regardless of this bs out-of-context Mayo clinic quote you keep citing.

It was actually finding out through meticulous tracking that the weight wasn't coming off as it should have been (as would be seen with a normal metabolism) which was what finally propelled a deeper dive by my doctor and eventually consulting a thyroid specialist. He did a battery of tests that 5 previous docs (including 2 endos) didn't. And, he found a host of issues stemming likely from long-untreated Hashimoto's -- some major vitamin/mineral deficiencies, insulin resistance, abysmally low DHEA levels, etc.

We got all of that sorted out, and voila, I started losing weight EXACTLY in tune with my calculated deficit. And, I'm sorry, counting calories and seeing the results you expect was 1000X easier than the crazymaking I was doing before (and many others have experienced). Simply eating less (in addition to my already active lifestyle) wasn't hard -- it was soooo much easier to what I was experiencing before. Because I was used to so much more onerous work, weight loss felt like a breeze at this point. Just eating less? Wow. That was pretty simple, finally.

And, from what I've read on other sites (here and more thyroid sites), my experience isn't terribly exceptional. In fact, it's actually somewhat common with those that have Hashi's -- or at least those that come to such sites looking for guidance about why calorie restriction and their thyroid medication isn't working. So, when people like editorgrrl come here and imply that is ALL that should be necessary because that is what worked for him/her -- essentially disrespecting and disproving others' valid experiences -- it is really infuriating and terribly, terribly unhelpful.