Fat FAQ

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
I'm gathering info to start hashing out the Fat FAQ.

So far I have as "to be addressed":
How to increase fat intake?
What should my fat macro be?
Isn't fat bad?
Are there any bad fats?
What is a fat bomb?
What is a fat fast?

Any suggestions for other questions and for easily mined resources appreciated. I'm combing through a few old threads here and other places.

This one might take awhile. Bear with me. :smile:

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Smoke points for cooking with different oils/fats and/or things to be aware of when using them for cooking vs baking. I've noticed a lot of people who come in new to lc are also new to cooking.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/34/c9/07/34c90785c7f316aac56144ad37694726.jpg

That could go hand in hand with "I read about coconut oil and ran out to Costco, why do I live in the bathroom now?"
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My fat level is X, isn't that too high? (Where X is just about any value, but especially 100g+ ranges.)

Won't I gain weight eating all that fat?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Worst, bad, ok, good and best fats (the whole spectrum). Or which to eat and which to avoid. Hydrogenated/trans fats the worst? I'm thinking coconut oil is the best. That was the first question I had when starting Keto.
    Then there is the poly, saturated, (and all those other types)....

Dan the Man from Michigan

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    A few links I have gathered mostly for me but always happy to share.

From Web Med not so much about Fat and more to the good of low carb but a good short read.
    webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term

A long youtube part one and two.
    https://vimeo.com/77730824

https://vimeo.com/78259209
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Any other suggestions?
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How to render lard from pork fat or tallow from beef. How to store it properly.

Also, which oils are good for cooking and which are better reserved for cold uses, like the other posters mentioned above.

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Maybe simple recipes to boost fat intake, like Hollandaise sauce?
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Personally, how can I get some fat in when fat is the *only* macro I'm short on by the end of the day? I'm not quite there yet for eating butter from a spoon.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Personally, how can I get some fat in when fat is the *only* macro I'm short on by the end of the day? I'm not quite there yet for eating butter from a spoon.

Well I have to tell you, with this Fat Fast thing I did this week? Getting my fat % in was definitely the hardest thing for me to do. Every day I was sitting crunching and shifting foods and macros around to try and get as close to the recommended 90% for the FF as I could, and I STILL didn't make it except for one day (averaged 87% over 5 days). All I can say is that pre-logging helped immensely because I didn't find myself at day's end short on fat yet already at (or above) my calorie goal.

Maybe try a week's worth of pre-planning/logging before you eat, just to get a feel for where you need to be and where you can effortlessly add fat to hit your targets? Just a thought...

• DittoDan
    Options

Have you tried some chocolate fat bombs yet?

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Chocolate fat bombs are my favorite thing EVER!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    Maybe try a week's worth of pre-planning/logging before you eat, just to get a feel for where you need to be and where you can effortlessly add fat to hit your targets? Just a thought...

My husband is the chef for our main meal (brunch), though I only need to place a recipe in front of him and that's what he makes. Then later I usually 'gather' all the foods I could eat for dinner by entering them in my diary, and deleting those that won't fit for my day's goals. Then I print the page and take it to the kitchen so I remember what, and how much, of anything to eat LOL It's a good idea to pre-log my dinner before I've eaten brunch though, thank you!

@DittoDan no, I haven't eaten a single sweet thing since my first day of LCHF, but you have me thinking about fat bombs and I'll go search and see if there are any savoury ones, thank you.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    - link to Joulwan's olive oil mayo page
    - link to a good clarifying butter page (higher smoke point, no milk solids)
    - avocado is a berry, coconut is a drupe
    - fish oil supps as source of Omega 3s
    - some nuts are high in O6
    - grass-fed beef has better O6:O3 ratio
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ... you have me thinking about fat bombs and I'll go search and see if there are any savoury ones, thank you.

Ask and you shall receive:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10046349/savory-fat-bombs/p1
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with how to eat animal fat on meat. I just can't bring myself to eat chicken skin. Can eat fat on pork chop if fat is v well cooked and nice and hot, but fat on steak is a struggle as I like my steak medium rare, but not nearly uncooked beef fat! Guess I should fry it up afterwards!
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Aawww thank you so much Kirkor!!!
    I've struggled with how to eat animal fat on meat. I just can't bring myself to eat chicken skin.
    I hear you on that TO. I can cope with chicken skin that's really well done and am slowly getting used to bacon fat if it's cooked to crispy. I can't yet even eat beef, lamb, pork etc meat, never mind the fat (as a lump)!!! *shudder*. I'm keen to try pork crackling if someone else will make it tee hee!

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Are you trying to eat more fat so you can get up to a specific number for the day, or because you're hungry and that's all you have to work with? If it's the former, don't bother. Your fat number is an upper limit, not a set in stone goal you're supposed to hit every day. If you're not hungry and you haven't hit your fat number, but you've done the rest, you don't have to eat something.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Are you trying to eat more fat so you can get up to a specific number for the day, or because you're hungry and that's all you have to work with? If it's the former, don't bother. Your fat number is an upper limit, not a set in stone goal you're supposed to hit every day. If you're not hungry and you haven't hit your fat number, but you've done the rest, you don't have to eat something.
    I've been trying to get a score of above 2 here flexibleketogenic.com/ each day. Because I'm a post-menopausal woman with a history of excess food and sugar addiction I've had very little weight loss, or inches lost in the 4 weeks I've been doing this. Partly I'm doing a science experiment and seeing if the 'Magic 2 and above' does anything better than vaguely being 'low carb'.

Truth is that no, I've rarely been hungry in the evenings and when I am I grab something like a small piece of camembert cheese. But I've usually hit my protein goal by then and/or hit my carb goal and/or have a low carb score for the day that I'm excited about and don't want to add to.

• mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    (
    How to render lard from pork fat or tallow from beef. How to store it properly.

Also, which oils are good for cooking and which are better reserved for cold uses, like the other posters mentioned above.
    (*)
  • DittoDan
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

My husband is the chef for our main meal (brunch), though I only need to place a recipe in front of him and that's what he makes. Then later I usually 'gather' all the foods I could eat for dinner by entering them in my diary, and deleting those that won't fit for my day's goals. Then I print the page and take it to the kitchen so I remember what, and how much, of anything to eat LOL It's a good idea to pre-log my dinner before I've eaten brunch though, thank you!

@DittoDan no, I haven't eaten a single sweet thing since my first day of LCHF, but you have me thinking about fat bombs and I'll go search and see if there are any savoury ones, thank you.

You don't have to search far. I recently posted a wonderful fat bomb on this list. And I posted another on the MFP Keto group. I'll re-link them here:

Putting Chocolate Back Together

Almond Joy Wanna Be's

Enjoy,

I hope this helps,