C25K...Starting 1/27/15 wanna join me???

Options
1235»

Replies

• acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I did W2D1 yesterday and I'm really proud of myself for being able to do it! It was HARD for me. But not nearly as hard as was warranted by the fear I had built up over it. That second 3 min stretch was a stretch. I've been running on a treadmill and had hoped to be able to do this run outside because I thought it would be easier, but the weather didn't cooperate. The first two weeks I was able to do at 3.5 mph walk and 5 mph run. I bumped W2D1 down to a 4.8 run and I'm really glad I did. This whole program feels monumental to me, and it is hard not to become intimidated. MENTAL TOUGHNESS is what I keep telling myself! :) But I finished day 1 and I think I can get through the next 2. I haven't gotten brave enough to look ahead to W3... I might just wait so I don't psyche myself out. This is my first post on this board, but I've really found it helpful to follow everyone else's progress. Thank you for doing this thread!!

Shannon

Congrats!!! It definitely a mental challenge as well as physical if not more so. Keep it up and keep positive thoughts
  • acarmon55
    Options
    I am a little discouraged because I have not been able to run or exercise for three days. My son had a 4 wheeler accident and taking care of him has been more important. I hope to get back on track soon, but it may be a few more days. I guess I will be redoing week 2 to make sure I am ready before continuing with week 3
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »
    I am a little discouraged because I have not been able to run or exercise for three days. My son had a 4 wheeler accident and taking care of him has been more important. I hope to get back on track soon, but it may be a few more days. I guess I will be redoing week 2 to make sure I am ready before continuing with week 3

I'm sorry to hear about your son.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Completed w3d2 last night. It was tough, but I felt good after. I am definitely improving but my cardio definitely has a way to go. My legs felt a bit rubbery on the last 3 min run, but was able to push through it.
  • dexteropolis
    dexteropolis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have really been struggling lately. My feet and calves have been hurting so bad. I got some real running shoes and they are for stability which I need but they gave me a blister on my heel. I powered through but I am really discouraged!! I could not run all of Week 3 Day 1 (third time I tried this day!!) I managed to finish but felt bad for not running all of the 3 minutes. I pray Week 3 Day 2 is better. :(
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Two things I'd suggest:

As far as finished each session is concerned, slow your pace down a little. Your objective is finishing the run, not finishing the run at a specific pace.

As far as the shoes are concerned, you might have an issue with the fit. Does the shop where you got them have a returns policy? It's worth going back in for a chat, as they may be able to advise you on lacing to secure the heel a little more or they may be able to identify another pair that might work better for you.

Running shoes don't need broken in, so it's not that. What type of shoe are they?
  • madmags
    Options
    Thanks Meandering.., but if I can push myself and finish at a pace isnt that the best of both worlds? I am not keeping a pace and not completing my workout, I am trying to keep that as a standard. If I cannot complete I will slow down, but I am not prepared to move onto the next workout until I can complete the current one ant my pace.
  • dexteropolis
    dexteropolis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Two things I'd suggest:

As far as finished each session is concerned, slow your pace down a little. Your objective is finishing the run, not finishing the run at a specific pace.

As far as the shoes are concerned, you might have an issue with the fit. Does the shop where you got them have a returns policy? It's worth going back in for a chat, as they may be able to advise you on lacing to secure the heel a little more or they may be able to identify another pair that might work better for you.

Running shoes don't need broken in, so it's not that. What type of shoe are they?

They are Asics, they do great when I walk and I wore them all day the other day and they did not bother my heel or hurt my feet it is just when I jog that they are uncomfortable. I wonder if it is the way I tie them I like my shoes to be tight, maybe I had them tied too tight? The guy at Dick's sporting goods was such a snarky jerk (I assume he was a that way because I am overweight and trying to find a good running shoe...he was in disbelief I think) I really do not want to see his face again or go back there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    madmags wrote: »
    .. but if I can push myself and finish at a pace isnt that the best of both worlds?

I was responding to Dexteropolis
    I am not keeping a pace and not completing my workout, I am trying to keep that as a standard. If I cannot complete I will slow down, but I am not prepared to move onto the next workout until I can complete the current one ant my pace.

Notwithstanding that, if it works for you then do it. The programme is a framework to develop the capacity to run for 30 minutes continuously. I used to fast finish so my last minute, or two minutes etc was at a faster pace than the preceding.

Even now, it's just that my fast finish might cover the same distance that I completed overall on W1D1 of C25K.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    They are Asics, they do great when I walk and I wore them all day the other day and they did not bother my heel or hurt my feet it is just when I jog that they are uncomfortable.

I would suggest dedicating your running shoes to only running. If you use them for other things then notwithstanding the accelerated wear, the wear pattern won't conform to your gait, so you end up risking a mismatch.
    I wonder if it is the way I tie them I like my shoes to be tight, maybe I had them tied too tight? The guy at Dick's sporting goods was such a snarky jerk (I assume he was a that way because I am overweight and trying to find a good running shoe...he was in disbelief I think) I really do not want to see his face again or go back there.

Don't know anything about the chain, but it's been discussed on here and few people rate it as having staff who know what they're on about anyway. I'd anticipate that they don't have a returns policy anyway.

So it's difficult to tell, but put the shoes on and see how the seams all line up, particularly with your running socks on. There are usually a couple of different ways that you could lace up to change the tensions, but it sounds like it's not out of the question that you're too tight across the bridge and a little loose in the heel cup.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    Finally got to get back to it after a week off. I went ahead and tried w3d1 yesterday and was able to complete without a problem! I was so surprised since I hadn't ran for a full week. I look forward to tomorrow
  • madmags
    Options
    Roads are finally plowed, i will be heading to the gym to complete week 3 tonight
  • EricMSCV
    EricMSCV Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back to running. Starting week 2 this week. Goal is to run the Hollywood, CA 5K on April 11. Tired of my belly. Need to lose 25 lbs + (I'll settle for 25). Using MFP, C25K, and Garmin Connect to stay on the path.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    emh619 wrote: »
    Trying to get back to running. Starting week 2 this week. Goal is to run the Hollywood, CA 5K on April 11. Tired of my belly. Need to lose 25 lbs + (I'll settle for 25). Using MFP, C25K, and Garmin Connect to stay on the path.

April 11 is the date of my first 1/2 Marathon- 8 weeks. You will totally be ready for your 5k!
  • acarmon55
    Options

Great start!! Keep it up and you can do it!!!!
  • acarmon55
    Options
    W3d2 finished!! Did extra on the treadmill today. Snowed in so looking forward to insanity tomorrow and day 3 on Wednesday
  • swampus99
    swampus99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    W5D1 done. Parts of the running felt smooth and effortless today! 10-15 second spots... Lots of huffing and puffing still. :) I take a beta blocker for PVCs, and I need to make an appt with my doc soon. No increase in problems, but sometimes when I get that extra beat while running, it throws my breathing off. Which is annoying and increasingly problematic as the run times increase! Signed up for two 5Ks this spring. :)
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    madmags wrote: »
    How many of you are doing off day workouts? I made the mistake of starting the 5x5 stronglifts program on my off. After the first day of squats, my quads were killing me and I had to take off almost a week before I ran again. I havent gone back to the 5x5, but am going to try it again tonight. Hopefully it was just the day one pain.

I'm also doing SL5x5 on my off days, but the difference is that I started 5x5 first, and gave it a couple weeks to adjust to the program before I started c25k. I also started SUPER light (12lbs bar), and I'm not going up 5lbs every session, just 2.5lbs a week. To me, the running is more important, so while I wanted to get strength training in, I didn't want to kill myself for running. The weights will still go up quickly (to me), and my goal is to maintain muscle during weight loss and build some strength, not squat 300lbs in 12 weeks.

You must be local to me! I'm also in Los Angeles county, and I signed up for a Huntington Beach 5k in June.

I'm a little late to this, and I already posted in the Daily Check-in thread, but I started yesterday. It was easier than I thought.
  • swampus99
    swampus99 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had to take more rest days than intended due to a bad head cold and a cough, but I went back at it today to repeat W5D1. I did the beginner shred on my rest days in order to have a decent activity and calorie burner. The jogging felt pretty good today! I put little bursts of faster strides in when I feel sluggish and like I'd prefer to walk. It helps to get over the "hump" and to get further down the road. I see my doc the first week of March to talk about the PVCs and breathing as my heart rate increases. I joined a local run club's "learn to run" program that starts Tuesday--I can't wait!
  • momintheburg
    momintheburg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I just got into MFP and C25k about a month ago. Today I did w4d1 and beforehand thought how could I possibly make it through 5 minutes- but I did!!! Took it slow for the walking parts to make sure if recover enough to jog again, but never stopped! I've never jogged in my life- feeling good:) skipping tomorrow and will do again Wednesday! Good luck to all!