Gallbadder attack and leg cramps

Options
ok, I had a rotten day yesterday. I had horrible leg cramps, and mid afternoon a gallbladder attack. Kept reading online and found that these could be caused from too low of calories,too much fat, several things. Drink a lot of water each day. Could that be why my legs are cramping.? Maybe A depletion of sodium?? Anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Cramping can be caused by a lack of potassium. Supplements are good, or have an avocado or something with tomato paste. I have super bad issues with low potassium and am on prescribed supplements. One of my first signs things aren't right is muscle cramps. My doctor told me the above foods would help also (there is a whole list, but not all are LC friendly)

The gallbladder attack, I have heard can be brought on by too much fat, but also could be an excess of green leafy vegetables. I have gallstones but have had no issues with this way of eating so far. I hope you feel better soon.
  • deniserichardson11
    Options
    Thanks! I do today. Gonna watch my fat intake. And look at that list of higher potassium foods.
  • pcfrend
    pcfrend Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Cramping can be caused by a lack of potassium. Supplements are good, "
    I agree with this comment. I find I have to take potassium supplements for this reason. If you are on the Dr. Bernstein WL program they require you to take a potassium supplement and if you get leg cramps they increase the amount of supplements you take.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @deniserichardson11‌

Broccoli is another high potassium food. And surprisingly, I think so are chicken thighs? Something on my diary jumped up my potassium. This way of eating dumps a lot of sodium, and if your sodium gets too low, it will dump potassium and magnesium. So keeping your sodium up and water up will help. Some people like using "lite salt." It's half salt and half potassium. For me, the taste is offputting, but many like it.

I honestly do not thing the fat is what triggered your gallbladder attack. Fat actually helps most people with gallbladder issues. That's what it is there for, to concentrate bile to attack the fat. Eliminate the fat and it will create gallstones because it doesn't have a real NEED anymore in your system. That's why I had to have mine removed.

I started having some minor issues with my bile floating when I drank too much water with a meal. But I quickly found that it wasn't that I had too much water. It was that I had too little fat for that bile to attack. Once I upped my fat, I haven't had a problem since. Also, last night we had a food that had a ton of vinegar in it (had soaked it trying to rid it of an aftertaste....so did NOT work). I mixed it with sour cream and then had a jello fat bomb to round it out. While eating, I started having some mild issue with the burn, at that fat bomb, and nothing, even though I went to be less than two hours later, which in my past life would have given me bile up my throat.

So, unless your "attack" is different than the terminology my doctor used, I hope this helps. If I'm completely off the mark from what you're suffering (I passed gallstones while and after pregnant too, so my experience with this is all over the map), let me know, and I'll add anything additional I can. Gallbladder hell is the worst thing ever, aside from bone pain!

Hope you feel better!