Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Good morning to all!

I was on Workout A this morning.

Squats: 5x5@100 lbs. These sucked today. I don't think I hit parallel and had some back pain. Next time I think I need to use a belt for additional back support.
    Bench: 5x5@60 lbs. I tried a set at 65 but it was pretty rough and I didn't have a spotter or feel like having to do the roll of shame, so I just repeated 60 lbs. (Side note, why do people use the full rack when there are two other half racks if they are not even using the safety bars? SMH)
    Rows: 5x5@60 lbs. These were pretty easy, 65 lbs next time.

Accessories: RDLs, 3x10@60 lbs.

45 minutes cardio.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2015
    noteworthiest part was i remembered to 'touch the bench with my hair' throughout the whole thing, for a change.
    What does that mean? :)

threnjen wrote: »
    My attitude has really improved the last few days. I got a deserved kick in the pants from Courtney to be nicer to myself, and at the form workshop last night felt really validated when he praised my squat form as excellent. So I think those things have really perked me up and I feel really motivated. The fact that I have gone to the gym 3 days in a row (after struggling to go twice a week for 2 months now) speaks to that I think :)
    Three days in a row is great! Keep it up! And while I'm glad it worked, I didn't *exactly* kick you. I'm way too nice for that -- for now. :smiley:

Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Last lift I strained my pectineus muscle in the groin so I decided I'd take one extra day to rest it (squats aggravate it). Feels perfect today so tomorrow I'll carry on with the lifts - deloading squats to work on form.
    I had real issues with my groin / adductor when I started squatting. Narrowing my stance to shoulder width (or just outside) really helped. Might want to play with your foot placement and see if that helps at all.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    I am posting even though I cant do 5x5 at the moment...
    But I walked 30min at 3.8mph this morning and then did some good stretching.
    Cant wait to get back at it!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    crabada wrote: »
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Last lift I strained my pectineus muscle in the groin so I decided I'd take one extra day to rest it (squats aggravate it). Feels perfect today so tomorrow I'll carry on with the lifts - deloading squats to work on form.
    I had real issues with my groin / adductor when I started squatting. Narrowing my stance to shoulder width (or just outside) really helped. Might want to play with your foot placement and see if that helps at all.

I shall try this! Thanks for the advice :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Cardio Day

Week 1, Day 1 of Couch to 5k.

Not bad overall. So much easier than my first attempt like 4-5 years ago. Helps that I weigh around 40 lbs less and have been increasing my fitness level gradually since September. My knee got a little cranky but it was achy last night when I tried focusing on heel with leg press and didn't think to lower the weight since I was doing it different than usual. Feet ache but it's more of an issue with not having days off from work in too long (as I am on my feet and often moving around all shift).

Feel much better about this attempt and think I might make it through. Last time had shin splints and pain in my side so never made it far, week 2 at the most but probably was just doing week 1 before giving up. This time, I've got a 5k in June, so I'm gonna do it.

Plus, as long as I don't randomly quit it soon, I can cross one goal off this month's list already.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    @DawnEmbers‌ congrats on giving c25k another chance. I know that it worked well for me when I started running (I had to repeat some weeks but I got through it)

5k run at lunch finished it fast enough to doubt my gps about actually going 5 k. 30:31 which was a full 3 minutes faster than in Saturday. It was a good run even if it wasn't a full 5k.

Then bench day 5 after work.
    70 lbs x 5, 80 lbs x 5, 90 x 5
    I find that I'm not resting enough when there isn't an automatic timer and that made it harder.
    3x8 bench at 70 lbs.
    Then 10/8/6/4/2
    Db rows 25 lbs
    Reverse flies 10 lbs
    Assisted pullups
    Hanging knee raises
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Today was just a run day. I did a 5k during my lunch break. This evening I did some yoga/light stretching and some foam rolling. I need to remember to work stretching and foam rolling into my routine more.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited March 2015
    Can I just jump in and go all grumpy Kro about the fact that some of you guys are running while it's still minus freakin' 20 outside over here (Celsius, but who cares, IT'S NEGATIVE ANYWAY).

So done with winter...
    442738-grumpy-cat-winter.jpg

You can resume your normal programming. lol
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Overhand Bicep Curls - seated 5 x 1 - 105

Overhand Bicep Curls - seated 5 x 5 - 110

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 100

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 105

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 95

Squats 5 x 5 - 165

Deadlift 5 x 1 - 165

Deadlift 5 x 1 - 175

Deadlift 5 x 5 - 185
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    A little rushed today because I had to get back to the babysitter.

Squat - 5x5 at 105 lbs. Form has definitely improved since my deload.

BP - 5x5 at 70 lbs. This felt pretty hard for some reason. I am going to try 5x6 at the same weight next time before moving up.

Row - 5x5 at 65 lbs. These felt really good. I think I am finally getting this one. I am getting the pull to the stomach thing, and these felt pretty easy today. Going up next time.

2x5 inverted rows. I was tired by now and just did two quick sets to do something.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    noteworthiest part was i remembered to 'touch the bench with my hair' throughout the whole thing, for a change.
    What does that mean? :)

somewhere in The Book (bench press chapter) he points out that lifting a bench press with your neck might help you to lift more weight, but it's a good way to injure your neck. sez your head shouldn't actually be resting full-weight on the bench, more hovering just above it. so i've been trying to teach myself that habit too.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    Can I just jump in and go all grumpy Kro about the fact that some of you guys are running while it's still minus freakin' 20 outside over here (Celsius, but who cares, IT'S NEGATIVE ANYWAY).

So done with winter...

You have described both my cats to a "T".

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Today was fun. We took the kids to a trampolining place that is just like... wall to wall trampolines. We were there for 2 hours and OMG I am going to die. My husband is in much worse shape than me and he can barely move lol.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Yesterday was taekwondo (90 mins) and abs work (10 mins). Today is mild stretching and a 15 min skip.

I have noticed that my arm, legs, glutes and back are feeling stronger and firming up but I left out my abs. So that's why, yesterday, I put an ab work out in. I am going to do these along with the SL 5x5 now. I need to train my abs because I have to do 70 sit-ups in one hit as part of my black belt grading. Muscular everything elses with a flabby belly ain't a good look me thinks!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    krokador wrote: »

So done with winter...

Awe. I think my city would die if it ever got into the negatives. We get cold weather (meaing cold enough that it could freeze) and everyone loses their mind. The joys of living down south. (I'm in Houston TX by the way, haha.)
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Deadlift day.

So, I'm kind of a derp sometimes. My squat rack is by a picture window. There is enough room to do a deadlift, but the initial lifting off of the pins always makes me wonder if I lost my balance if I would got headfirst through the window.

My beloved 13 year old son heard me telling his dad this and said "Well, Mom, when I load up for dead lifts, I put the pins at the front of the rack, so I'm not so close to the window.

DUH! Don't you hate it when the simplest solution never occurs to you?

So, neck pain today, but I pushed through. Still just not feeling it. May have something to do with my mother being here. She's recovering from surgery, but instead of staying in the guest room I prepared for her (with its own bathroom, TV with cable, internet connection, etc.), she's chosen to make our living room her bedroom. So, I have a running commentary to listen to about how dumb lifting is as well as constant requests for me to fetch things for her. Sigh. I'm a terrible person for being annoyed by this.

Squats: 175 5x5 (hanging here for one more workout)
    OHP: 100 5x5 going for the big 101 next time (yeah, I'm only increasing by one pound at a time right now)
    Dead lift: 230 (still on deload from 245, working my way back up).

Oh, and I am SO over winter too. I just want to be able to walk on not-icy sidewalks!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Deloaded some weight today for squats. Weirdly I was sort of apprehensive about lifting today, I can't even say why? I just felt an aversion to it, like I was intimidated or something. Bizarre, right? Anyways, I did it and that's what counts. I started with the bar on squats and this is how it went:
    Squats
    1x5: 45
    1x5: 55
    1x5: 65
    1x5: 75
    1x5: 85
    1x5: 95
    5x5: 105
    --- I wanted to go up to as high as I could while keeping my form in check. 105 was tough to keep locked in on the form, so I'll repeat it next time, and again until my form is solid at that weight. Then I'll move up - I'm in no hurry and I'm certain I won't regret perfecting the form before moving along.
    Benchpress
    5x5: 90
    Rows
    5x5: 85 --- form was sketchy, will repeat next time (and again until I'm confident in it)

I warm up to a little cardio app thingy for 5 minutes before doing all this.
    That's it!
    I'm happy to report that my groin muscle was not moody at all about the squats today, so it seems like the extra day between the lifts paid off. I'm hoping if I stick to my mantra of perfecting form before progressing I will avoid that pain again in the future!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    @Lovetowrite -- I usually do two sets with just the bar to warm up on bench, just to lock in form and get my head in the game.

Thanks!!

• lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Hello, all!

So, I trudged through sketchy/icy roads to go to the gym this morning. So glad I did and also happy that I didn't slide off the road!

Squats: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @75 and 5x5 @ 100.
    OHP: 3x5 @ 60, 2x4 @ 60. - My first failure!
    DL: 1x5 @ 125.

I didn't do anything extra as I had to give myself extra time to get home and ready for work. Plus, I got to the gym late because the roads sucked hardcore!
    plus. there was blood on the knurls of the great big bar, and even after i fetched the doohickeys and spritzed them clean i was kind of squicked out. then i discovered that the same someone had actually left a little chunk of his/her callus on the bar too, and i kind of lost my heart to keep lifing today.

That is DISGUSTING. I would have complained to management about that!
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Workout A today!

Squats- 100 lbs 5x5 first time at this weight- felt heavy form felt good but want to stay here at least one more workout before moving up in weight
    Bench- 80 lbs 5x5 this was tough- need to repeat this weigh
    Rows- 83lb x5x5x4x5x3 this was REALLY hard and I could feel that my form took a hit. I was also rushing a bit as I was running late to work

I did some 50 lb hip thrusters 2x10

I also tried some good mornings -first time trying these- I used a 30lb cushioned bar as I wasn't sure what to expect and this was really easy- felt more like a stretch than a lift. Next A day I'm going to move to an oly bar only as I don't want to add too much weight and get hurt.

What's a normal starting weight for good mornings?