Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, first workout of March... :smile:

Workout A:
    Squats: 5x5@100 lbs. These were really tough, even after resting 2+ minutes in between sets. I think I'll stay at the weight and rest the full 3 minutes next time.
    OHP: 5x5@50 lbs. For some reason my 5x5 app is not increasing my lifts properly, even though I know I did 45 lbs without failing last time. Anyway, these still felt pretty easy so I will try 55 lbs next time.
    Deadlift: 2x5@105 lbs. I think I did this weight last time, but my app was screwed up on this lift too, so I just went with 105. I did 2 sets rather than 1 just to make sure form was good.

Accessories: Calf raises, 4x20 (BW) and good mornings, 3x10@50 lbs

Cardio: An hour on the elliptical. Thank goodness for Netflix and "House of Cards"!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Working back up from my deload

Squats - 5x6 at 100 lbs. Depth is much better, as is my lockout and preparation. I actually went ATG on one of my warm ups with just the bar and hit the safety. Oops.

OHP - 5x6 at 50 lbs. Man just one extra rep is hard! But form felt good, locking out much better at the top. Sometimes I still forget to really push up and shrug, so still working on remembering that. I think I will stay here and maybe throw a couple extra reps in.

DL - 2x5 at 135 lbs. These felt heavy today so I just did 2 sets of 5 instead of going up to 145. Did one mixed grip, one overhand.

Accessories - 2 x 60s planks. Ouch.
    3x7 assisted pull ups at 55 lbs. First time I did all reps right up to the top, but still hard.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    @xcalygrl‌, maybe try farmers walks but keep the heavier weight in your left hand to improve your grip.

I'll start adding these in as accessories to see if they help.

I'm also going to see if alternating my grip helps (making my right hand the palm facing away and the left palm facing toward me).

Thank you!!
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    @xcalygrl‌, maybe try farmers walks but keep the heavier weight in your left hand to improve your grip.

i've been using only my left hand to do all my plate-wrangling. with a pinch grip except for the heaviest ones. figure it can't hurt, anyway.

This would probably help too. I do most of my plate wrangling with my right hand, since I'm right handed. Thank you for this suggestion too!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to gym super early (for me), which meant fighting through traffic to get there, for a free form workshop. Turned out that I was the only one to sign up for the morning session, so it was basically a free one on one session with a trainer. We went of deadlift, front squat, back squat and overhead press.

Overall, my form isn't too bad, which was good to hear. I have things to work on for everything but it's all little things. However, my wrist and shoulder does make it not work well for the front squat/push press combination. Just the bar in that position, not even making it to 90 degrees cause I can't get that far, is too painful on my wrist due to past injury. Going to work on wrist, forearm and shoulder stuff but I may just do a set of front squats using the cross over hold, set down, then right away moved to the overhead press position and do that right after without rest, once I'm in stage 2.

Also need a tiny bit more depth on squats and work on not letting my shoulder round a bit on many of the lifts. Posture needs a little work in general so will be thinking on that.

List of things to target with my accessories, mobility work, etc: wrists, forearms, rhomboids, shoulders in general, hamstrings and glutes. Which means I may need to make myself learn some new things, like maybe hip thrusts and good mornings, along with some wrist curls and such. Fun times right there.

It was interesting and good to get a form check after lifting for a few months. Glad I went even though I'm very tired and traffic was a nuisance. Also got the body fat tested with the little hand held device. While not the most accurate, it gives me a general idea. The number was almost 2 percent lower than when I had it last checked in December. Making progress but lots of work to do still.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers ours had the form workshop today... and we're both in Portland area... do we live in the same city?!

The other one is at 5 tonight and I am thinking of going even though I am soooo sore from yesterday.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Well, I don't live in the same place as my gym. I go to the gym in Beaverton and think you're on the other side of there from where I technically live. All these little places connected has taken some time getting used to, lol. The workshops at 24 hour fitness were 8 am and 6 pm, I think, though most people signed up for the pm one from what he said. Well, considering I'm the only one who was there for morning, it was pretty obvious most were going tonight.
  • threnjen
    Options
    I go to the Beaverton one on Murray/Scholls
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Ah, so same one then. It could have been 5 instead of 6. I didn't look that hard because I have to work from 4:30-10:30 anyways. That is funny. I usually don't go till 11 pm though when possible. Just so many people there much of the day. Plus traffic in morning and afternoon/evening isn't worth the struggle. Though my boss goes after work at 5 or 6 some days, which I think is crazy due to how long traffic takes to get there.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Everybody is doing great! Here is my workout today:

Workout A (Tues)

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 2 - 50

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 70

Barbell Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 95

Squats 5 x 3 - 125

Squats 5 x 2 - 145

Squats 5 x 5 - 165

Dumbbell Side Bend - 5 x 10 - 40

Flat Dumbbell Fly - 5 x 5 - 40

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 95

Reverse Curls 5 x 3 - 105

Underhand Bicep Curls - seated 5 x 5 - 105
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    Run day today. I changed it up a bit though. I did a "fitness test WOD."
    5 rounds for time of:
    0.25 mile run
    15 burpees
    10 meter broad jump

I managed to complete it in 21:16. I also ran another 2.75 miles after to get me to an even 4 miles for the day. I was slower than normal, but I'm not surprised since I was a bit stiff from yesterday's workout and did the first 1.25 miles differently.
  • threnjen
    Options
    Check-in, kinda sorta workout. I went to the lifting form session that DawnEmbers went to.

There were 5 of us there and I was clearly the only one who knew how to lift so I was kind of stuck between being proud that I had a clue, and feeling like some sort of show-off.

It was really valuable though, I got an A+ on my squat form and I was pretty proud (and then kind of embarrassed because he had me model a bunch for the class and I wasn't trying to show off). He had a minor tip on my deadlift, and he pretty much thought my OHP was all wrong!! Yikes!
    We didn't go over as much as DawnEmbers did, because there were more people in the class.

It was a sorta-workout because the weights were low and it was not challenging, but I'm still tired because I did lift yesterday and I'm still sore from that.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So 5 week for deadlifts
    135 lbs x5 155 lbs x 5 175 lbs x 5
    3 x8 front squats 75 lbs I need to work on form, these really hurt my knees the way I was doing it
    Then 10/8/6/4/2
    DB snatches 20 lbs
    lunges 20 lbs (was supposed to be 50 lbs but my knees were just not having it)
    burpee squat

this was fun although front squats need some(lots) of work shoulder/wrist/elbows just don't work right and so my lower body kind of compensates for it.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rest day, but ima report on my left hand project. the project was to switch sides, and pretend to myself that it's my right arm and not my left that i'm favouring. so for two or three days i've been keeping my right hand close to my side and using my left to do just about everything. reaching and pulling and pouring and turning and pushing . . . and hefting my bike.

i may be being premature here since i've only been on this schtick for a couple of days, but i just can't believe it. there are still a few isolated super-tight muscle strands in lats and rear rotator cuff that feel like triggers points and catch me in certain movements.

but the shoulder itself . . . i'm just breathtaken at how good it felt all day today. it doesn't hurt. it's not stiff. there's way way less restriction. aside from the doms and a bit of an ache from all the ohp and the rows yesterday, plus those one or two trigger spots, it feels right-er than since before i even remember. and i have range. it, like, moves anywhere that i want it to and it feels like the ball is just floating in the socket.

i don't even know what did it, but i actually think it was nothing more complicated than just using it. all the reaching and stretching and turning and stuff that you do just in the course of an average day. turns out making coffee is a good rehab move if you do it with the right hand :D

can't wait to get into the gym tomorrow and see what kind of bench press me and my golden shoulder might be able to pull off like this.

edit: um, er. i mean with the wrong hand. with the left hand, i mean.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Cardio...35 minutes on the treadmill. Done and done.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Today was my first workout in over a week. I think the rest did my back / hip / leg some good, but it felt really great to get moving again -- especially after the 11 hour drive yesterday.

Workout B

Squats - 5x5 @ 135 lbs.

OHP - 6/8/8/8/5 @ 40 lbs.

Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 135, 1x5 @ 145, 2x1 @ 155 lbs.
    - Considering how heavy these were, I can't believe I was able to lift 185 last month. What the heck happened?

Accessories:
    Bicep Curls - 3x10 @ 15 lbs. (in each hand)
    Skull Crushers - 1x12 @ 22.5 lbs., 1x12 @ 25 lbs, 1x12 @ 22.5 lbs.
    Good Mornings - 3x12 @ 45 lbs.

Stretching

The gym I went to was amazing! Maybe the most gorgeous facility I've ever seen. I wish I could take it home with me. And a day pass was only $5!
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I joined the group 2 weeks ago, but first time for check in. Right after I joined I messed up my knee! Anyways, I took 2 weeks off and started again with my knee feeling better for a few days (not sure what happened). I ate a 10% deload for squats/deadlift to my sadness, but I decided it's better to not push it in case my knee got angry. I felt sad as I'm already trying to work back up from deloading back in January.

Workout B

Squats 5x5 - 115 lbs
    OHP 5x5 - 57.5 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 - 115 lb

+ foam rolling/stretching/dynamic warmup

I didn't deload on OHP. During warm ups it was a joke how fast I was banging it up, so I decided to not to deload and repeat my last weight. Surprisingly, that was pretty easy too and I did only short rests. Last session 2 weeks ago with 57.5 lbs was a pain and I used the entire rest. So weird!

Squats and deadlift went okay. The weight felt light but I felt a little unstable at the knees, favoring one side. However my form checker said I looked good and wasn't leaning. Oddly during my 2 week break I gained more shoulder flexibility, which helped out for squats.

Fingers crossed DOMS doesn't get me tomorrow.
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did 40 minutes of kickboxing last night, and although I really enjoyed it, I am going to have to slowly work extra cardio into my SL schedule.

I thought I picked a lower-impact workout, but my right knee is super achy this morning. Same thing happened last week when I did a 50-minute Zumba workout. To be fair, I'd never done Zumba before, and I assumed it was a lower impact/intensity workout than it turned out to be (I did a Zumba MAX dvd). I probably made it higher impact with all the flailing and jumping around I did just trying to keep up with the moves!

I've definitely done higher impact workouts in the past without any problems, but I guess this was a little bit of a shock to my body after focusing strictly on SL and just walking 10K steps a day for the past 6 weeks. I'm so torn, because I want the extra cardio to speed up my fat loss, but I don't want to screw up my lifting progress by over-doing it on the cardio!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Still cold and snowy here...I am still hopeful for warmer weather. On March 14th and 28th we have predicted highs of about 50 F. If this happens I am definitely going to go for a nice run outside!! I can't wait :-)

WARMUP
    bike 5 min
    arm swings 1 min
    kettlebell swings 2 mins
    jumping jacks 1 min

LIFTS
    Squat 5x8 107.25 (up!)
    Bench 5x5 65 (will stay here for a while)
    Rows 5x5 80 (up!)
    Deadlifts 1x5 80 (just for fun)

EXTRAS
    Convict Conditioning Pullups Step 3: Jackknife Pullups 3x20
    Convict Conditioning Pushups Step 3 Knee Pushups 3x12

Jacknife pullups are getting better. I am bearing more of my weight and am pausing at the top and holding for as long as I can. On my way to my first ever pullup. hopefully. some time. this year.

:)
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Cardio today - 3.5mph on a 4.5 incline for 30min, warmup/cool down at 3mph, 0 incline for 5min. I'll be doing the same tomorrow - it would be a lifting day, but my groin (pectineus muscle) is super sore and squats aggravate the hell out of it. So I have to back off until that feels better. I'm hoping to lift, deloaded, on Friday. We'll see...