Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    strange difficulties getting my hands on any equipment today considering how quiet the gym was. i didn't really get to deads or ohp, but i'm having a real bad-body day today so whatever. feels like i sprained something under my left scapula, and that seemed to throw everything off.

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@55, 1x5@65, 5x5@75. have a feeling i'm going to sit at this weight for some time. still working to keep the tight back and maintain my rear-delt shelf all the way through every rep. so either i'm feeble or it's really astounding how much extra energy that uses up. good news is i think i may be investing in better form here for a later payoff; hope so.

ohp/deads: meh. i did about half the ohp sets at 45, and idk, four or five deadlifts at 100 after warming up with 50 and then 70. ohp was a strange combination of 'easy' and 'ow', like i'm simultaneously stronger and have tweaked all kinds of little muscles all through my shoulders and upper back. weird and confusing and i let someone else have the rack after three sets.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Run day today. Did 8.1 miles in 1 hour 17:10 mins.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    workout B for me today in the morning before work at the gym at my work

warmup:
    5 min walk from bus stop to work then I get straight into it with bar only squats, some glute bridges and clamshells

5 x 5 squats at 50kg / 110lbs
    5 x 5 overhead press 20kg/ 44 lbs. Still a bit shaky with this but I will get there. But I am improving which feels good !
    1 x 5 deadlifts at 45 kg / 99 lbs

Otherstuff:
    Lunges and side lunges - 3 x 10 lunges per leg body weight only
    3 x good mornings 20kg / 44 lbs
    working on balance, standing on one leg, going up and down on my toes.

Might do my muay thai class after work today but I am very tired, I only got about 3-4 hours sleep last night... will see how I feel at 4pm hometime ! No caffeine as I don't react well to it ( bad comedowns)

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    There is some serious awesomeness in this thread - you ladies are kicking *kitten*!!
    -
    Took my wee man away for the weekend this weekend so have had three days off....though carrying his 15kg butt around the hilliest zoo ever for an entire day surely makes up for it!

Lifting scheduled for tonight, can't wait!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Gymed it up today but not fully successful with my objectives. I ran to the gym (1 mile), cage was taken so I did 10min on the rowing machine. Cage didn't free up :( So I went in the room with the big fans and made some weight bars for various things.

First 5x6 front squats @65lbs. I'm not really sure how front squat weight is supposed to be related to back squat weight. I also wasn't expecting to have to do this at all so I forgot to look up front squat form before I went. So I hope I didn't jack myself up. I could barely clean up the 65lbs the last time so I probably couldn't have gone higher on the weight anyway. So weak upper body =/

Then OHP 5x6@45 with 5x6 good mornings.

At this point I was out of time and needed to go home and I was pretty exhausted anyway, brisk walk home (too tired to jog)
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Back again!
    Lifted tonight

I have two piece of advice for you ladies

First: ensure you get enough carbs. Tonight felt really really hard, and looking at my diary I'm not surprised as I barely hit 100g of carbs today....aargh

Second: working out in just a crop top may seem like a good idea....until you have to roll of shame your bench press...OUCH! Though I do have a slight amount of loose skin on my stomach which doesn't help!

Squat 5x5 @ 160lbs.
    Bench 5,4,4,3,4 @ 95lbs. Had to roll of shame one set, the rest I knew my limits
    Row 5x5@ 100lbs - felt good! Will stay here a little longer though!

Xx
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    threnjen wrote: »
    First 5x6 front squats @65lbs. I'm not really sure how front squat weight is supposed to be related to back squat weight. I also wasn't expecting to have to do this at all so I forgot to look up front squat form before I went. So I hope I didn't jack myself up. I could barely clean up the 65lbs the last time so I probably couldn't have gone higher on the weight anyway. So weak upper body =/

I just front squat around the same weight as overhead press but I always use the rack or cage whenever doing them. Except in Grit Strength class cause those are lighter, I only do about 30 lbs added to the bar that weighs near nothing. I hold them different too. In the class, since it's light, I can grip it and press after squat, but my elbows certain aren't at 90 degree angle like the NROLFW book wants for their front squat/press. Regular bar weight or higher, I have to do cross arms and not grip the bar, which I don't like but I don't have the shoulder or wrist mobility to do it the other weigh, unless I want to hold the bar behind my head to get the elbows at the right angle without being in pain cause of my bad wrist.

Telling ya, 11 pm. Very little to no waits at all for the squat rack. :wink:

On to my day and workout. I had a tired, cranky sort of day at work so wasn't sure how lifting would go tonight but it turned out much better than expected. Though my arms are going to be sore tomorrow.

Day 11, A6

squat 3x10 @ 115 - Moved up, which was surprising considering how I felt part of the day at work. (I miss the heavy but just 5 reps approach, le sigh)

push-up 1x10 bench, 2x10 rail - still suck at these, my upper body strength needs some work cause my progress in general with pushups has been very minimal.
    seated row 3x10 @ 60 - kept same but will try increase when rep changes.

step-up 3x10 @ 22.5 - finally they weren't in use, got to pick the ones I wanted.
    PJ 3x12

For Fun:
    bench press 3x8 @ 75 - not bad but still a little heavy.
    db bench press 3x8 @ 25 - hard to believe I used to do a little heavier, these were tough.
    db wrist curl 3x10 @ 15 - next time I'll do these last cause it affected the other curl.
    straight bar bicep curl 3x8 @ 30 - hard cause wrists started to ache.

Now I'm ready for a day of rest. No C25k or lifting tomorrow, just an easy cashier shift at work and not much else.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    But if I get there at 11PM too, we would both be there and both wanting to use it :p

I actually do go at 10-11pm sometimes. I really like it that time of night.

So I just looked up front squats and I was doing them totally wrong lol... I was holding the weight in my hands and not resting it on my shoulders. No wonder it made me so exhausted...
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    There is the squat rack and the cage. Plus, I'd share. :smile: I mostly go late because I work till around 10:30 pm so it's convenient then. And I'd rather sleep in the mornings and I struggled to fall asleep at night. Like now, after 2 am when I should be in bed but I'm online.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the gym and I am embarrassingly excited that I hit 50 for 5x5 on OHP. Only took 9 weeks to add weight!!

BRTky.jpg
    See more on Know Your Meme

Anyway...My back feels 97% so I think I'm going to load next week. I definitely need to take advantage of eating at maintenance and the energy I'm getting from that.

Squats - warmup with bar for 10, 4x5 at 75lbs, and 1x5 at 80lbs.
    OHP - 5x5 at 50lbs.
    DL - 1x5 @ 85lbs.
    Lat Pulls - 3x8 at 60lbs
    Hamstring curls - 3x8 at 50lbs.

That is awesome! OHP is so hard!

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I attempted to work out yesterday but hurt my back squatting like a dummy. I was coming out of a fully weighted squat and felt a sudden stab of pain in my lower back. I think I overarched and/or started to lift my hips (mainly right side) faster than my shoulders, putting strain on my back. I got out of it and re-racked then went home.

Could barely move or get out of the car but felt OK to lay in child's pose on the floor with a bag of ice on my back. After showering and moving around, I felt a little better. Sleep was difficult but I feel slightly better today in that I am able to stand up straight and even lean back a little, albeit with some pain, where yesterday I looked like Quasimodo. It's localized to my back and not radiating down my legs or anywhere else. It is slightly to my right side, though, and it hurts more when I put weight on my right leg. I get some relief from pushing on my back. Given this information, I think I pulled a muscle.

I've read online that the first few days come with little improvement then it starts to get better so I'm hoping that is the case. I'm kicking myself for messing up my form like that but I've learned my lesson. Whenever I can get back to it, I will be much much MUCH more diligent because this hurts!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, take care of yourself @MissHolidayGolightly‌!!!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I didn't check in over the weekend - I am minimalist with the internet on weekends. Saturday I went for a walk outside because it was bearable - just 2 miles, but the fresh air felt good. I was laying on the couch not feeling my best, so I figured the fresh air might perk me up some. It helped.
    -
    Sunday - 5x5 - deloaded everything to some extent to focus on form more. It really helped, I'm going to do the climb back up at a slower pace, really focusing on form.
    Squat:
    2x5 - 45#
    1x5 - 75#
    5x5 - 105#
    OHP:
    5x5x65
    Deadlift:
    1x5x120

I also cleaned for about 4-5 hours - that takes effort. House looks good, though :)
    -
    Today: Jogging 4.8-5mph intervals for 30 min.

My body is feeling pretty achy and tired lately.

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Girls, you rock! All those workouts logged this weekend, that's awesome. I'm proud of every one of you. :)

I'm on cardio regimen for the next two weeks because of the double epicondilitis and the meniskus pain, so my workouts were bo-ooh-ring. I went to the gym with hubby on saturday and did 30 minutes of AMT and 20 minutes of biking. I must admit that the last 20 minutes of cardio was done reading the latest issue of Saveur magazine, because I was so bored.

I skipped sunday workout because I was slightly hangover and the daylight saving time was hitting me hard.

Today, I made a 50 minutes spinning session and it felt pretty good, except that my elbows were tired (just by supporting my upper body weight on the handlebar when I was pedaling out of the saddle. not funny.).

I miss lifting already. :(
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the gym and I am embarrassingly excited that I hit 50 for 5x5 on OHP. Only took 9 weeks to add weight!!

BRTky.jpg
    See more on Know Your Meme

Anyway...My back feels 97% so I think I'm going to load next week. I definitely need to take advantage of eating at maintenance and the energy I'm getting from that.

Squats - warmup with bar for 10, 4x5 at 75lbs, and 1x5 at 80lbs.
    OHP - 5x5 at 50lbs.
    DL - 1x5 @ 85lbs.
    Lat Pulls - 3x8 at 60lbs
    Hamstring curls - 3x8 at 50lbs.

I am loving this, because this is exactly how I felt after workout B yesterday.... I finally did 5x5 @ 45# on OHP yesterday! Such a small accomplishment, but it's major to me! Maybe by the end of the month I can add weight to the bar, too!

I also made it to 5x5 @ 90# on Squats and 1x5 @ 105# on deadlift. I'll probably stay the same on squats for at least another workout or two to make sure my form is good, but I'll try for 115# on deadlifts by the end of this week. I know I still have a long way to go, but I'm pretty happy with my progress after about 2 months on SL. Now if I can just manage to work in at least 2 days of cardio without screwing up my knee!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I blinked and there are like a million new posts here! Everyone is doing such an awesome job!!

I am tired this week so I am doing a bit of a deload. I did most lifts at higher volume though...

Squat 5x8 90
    Bench 5x7 60
    Row 5x7 80
    Deadlift 1x5 80

All of my lifts felt good. I also aimed for greater depth in my squats.

EXTRAS
    Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 3x10 35
    Convict Conditioning Pushups Step 3 Knee Pushups 3x12

Weather is finally starting to warm up a bit. Yay!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Did cardio and active recovery yesterday (8 rounds of 25/60s incline sprints/walk + 15 min brisk walk)

Then this morning was the last strength day of the program
    1-arm DB snatches 35x8, 40x6, 45x4, 50x2x2
    Box jumps 24x1x2, 25, 26, 27 inches

Then 5 rounds of 1arm DB @‌ 35lbs
    - clean & press x5
    - sumo deadlift x5
    - front rack offset drop lunge x5
    - bent over row x5
    - switch arms and repeat then rest 60s

Then to finish it off, 5x20/10 of
    -high knee sprints
    - full burpees 5/6/6/5/6

It was fuuuuun!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stupid daylight savings time totally messed me up today; woke up with a pounding headache. When I turned the bedroom light on, it was like someone stabbed me in the eyes. It's sunny and warm outside so of course, I'd feel like crap today. Thanks nature! lol I decided to try and lift today anyway and after chugging pre-workout, I felt fantastic! Started the base microcycle of Smolov today.

Squats - 4x9 @ 130
    Bench - 4x9 @‌ 85

On a different note, I'm currently eating a banana smothered in peanut butter. Apparently I grabbed the salted peanut butter at Trader Joe's... salty peanut butter is reeeeeeeally salty. Not sure I want to keep the jar... :(
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    All these workouts are AWESOME! I didn't do anything productive this weekend. Sick kiddo :-( I will be back at the gym tomorrow to continue cardio while the back heals.
  • lhapple82
    lhapple82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I spent the weekend at a lovely yoga farm in the middle of nowhere, and it was so relaxing! But today, back to the lifts!

Squats- 2x5 @ 45, 2x5 @ 65, 5x5 @ 95 (These felt good! I can't believe I'll be in the triple digits next time!)
    Bench Press - 5x5 @ 55 (I'm for reals buying fractional plates for both these and OHP. I think I will need them after one more 5lb increase here)
    Barbell Rows - 5x5 @ 75 (These surprisingly felt good today! I did them in the squat rack so that they were slightly elevated, and it made a WORLD of difference!)

Namaste :)