Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Lunch was a 30 sec sprint/ 60 second walk x 15. Normally I shoot to cover about 3.4 km in that time but this time I brought my camera and kind of dawdled and took pictures during recovery times. Things that I do to keep all of my hobbies I guess.

Tonight was DL day 3
    155 lbs x 3 175 lbs x3, and 185lbs x 4
    Went to do front squats and my shoulder was just not having it so I did back squats instead.
    3x8 EMOTM 95 lbs. This pretty much left me winded for the rest of the workout but I grueled my way through it because well I am stubborn as a mule.

10/8/6/4/2
    DB snatch 20 lbs
    walking lunges 10 lbs each arm
    burpee squats

total time was almost 15 minutes and I was just toast by the time I was done. I did some mobility work after but I should do a little more once I eat something and get some of my energy back.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Today was pretty good.

Squats - 5x5 at 115 lbs. These felt good, challenging but form felt good. The bar is feeling better on my back, but I need to watch my wrist angle. Still think I need better shoes.

Bench - 5x5 at 70 lbs. So, I realized why 70 lbs felt so hard last time...I never made it past there before deloading! I thought I had finished 75 lbs, but I had only tried 72.5 once and failed it. So, that explains that. 70 felt good today. I think I am going to try 72.5 next time. Need to remember to really plant my feet.

Row - 5x5 at 70 lbs. These still felt ok. Not horribly hard. I am going to try 75 lbs next. I really hate stacking plates. I wish I had a better solution, but the safeties don't go low enough in the rack at the gym.

Then 3x7 assisted pull ups at 55 lbs. I am going to try 3x8 next time, and if I do it, I will be going down to 40 lbs assistance.
    Then I just hung from the bar for a bit. O..M...G...felt so good on my back and shoulders. A few snap, crackles, and pops, but felt great. My posture at work is not very good. I need to keep doing this!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifting tonight for me yay!!

Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs. Deload and felt really good and deep!
    OHP 5x5 @ 60lbs. Still watching the shoulder, felt good
    Deadlift 1x5@190lbs, 1x5@ 210lbs....then just for fun 1x 220lbs - BOOYAH!!!

Accessories: lat pull downs, chest flies, step ups, single arm row things
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Might add well check in between sets

At gym,
    Bench 5x5@60, with 5x12 leg lifts holding bar and 5x5 hip popups. Felt pretty hard which is weird, I have done 65 before, but I guess that was long ago before I fell off the wagon for a while.
    Squats 5x5@90. This was really hard. I wonder if it would have been better if I had done it first, but cage in use.
    Rows 5x5@70. It didn't feel hard, and yet my form felt bad. I just don't get rows.
    About to deadlift hopefully 1x5@145
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Small but satisfying victories - last night I managed to actually complete OHP 5x5 at 40lbs. This was my third time attempting that weight - I kept failing at the last set. On Saturday, I'll be moving up to the standard empty bar.

I only just started SL 5x5 a few weeks ago, and I love that I'm seeing progress in my strength already. I WILL master my shoulders, damnit.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a run day. I did 3.5 miles on my lunch break. Felt pretty good, even if my hamstrings were sore from Monday's workout!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I feel like I haven't been to the gym forever! My recent schedule has been: Monday rest, Tuesday/Thursday lift + some cardio, Wednesday/Friday/Saturday and/or Sunday run days. I had to go out of town for work yesterday, so I pushed my lifting to this morning and Friday this week.

Workout B:
    Squats, 5x5@95 lbs. I was supposed to try 105 but I just couldn't do it this morning.
    OHP, 5x5@50 lbs. These felt pretty easy today so I'll try 55 lbs next time. Unfortunately I always seem to stall out at 55 lbs :neutral_face:
    Deadlift, 2x5@100 lbs. Pretty easy at this weight so will increase next time.

I did some good mornings with 50 lbs in between OHP and deadlift, and I ran/walked 45 minutes on the treadmill. Thank goodness it has warmed up here so I can do my running outside much easier! Cold temps I don't mind so much, it's the heavy snow and ice that sucks!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Nice workout logged in the past two days! Congrats!

@psych101 congrats for the AMAZING 100kg lift!!

I had a recovery day yesterday (it's weird to have recovery when you don't lift?) so I took a long walk and played some badminton (leisurely). I clocked about 60 minutes of activity, but burned less than 200 cals. Hehe.

Today was boring cardio day again (it seems like it will be boring cardio day forever), so I did 35 minutes on the AMT and 20 minutes on the bike.

I feel like my elbows are less strained (they don't hurt when I pull the bathroom door, at least), so maybe this two weeks off lifting is helping in some way. But I still miss the good feeling of a strenght workout.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    :'( Did not go well last night! :'(
    Started at 7:40 and ended at 9:30. Switching from old equipment to new equipment, using the power rack, going up in weights = equal disaster.
    After the squats, couldn't even lift the bar to move it out of the way to use old equipment, then trying to move it again! for the rows - OMG! I just wanted to curl up and cry! Need a new plan. Must move on. End rant.

Barbell Squat - 1x5 @ 11.5, 2x5 @ 36.12, 5x5 @ 45
    Bench Press - 2x5 @ 28.5, 5x5 @ 36.12
    Barbell Row - 1x5 @ 45, 2x3 @ 65, 3x5 @ 45
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Started at 7:40 and ended at 9:30. Switching from old equipment to new equipment, using the power rack, going up in weights = equal disaster.
    After the squats, couldn't even lift the bar to move it out of the way to use old equipment, then trying to move it again! for the rows - OMG! I just wanted to curl up and cry! Need a new plan. Must move on. End rant.

I totally feel your pain! Last night was Workout A, and it was the first time I really didn't feel great about my workout. (I'm gonna blame it on DST!)

Squats: 1x5 @ 45#, 1x5 @ 65# 5x5 @ 90# - I just didn't feel as strong on the first few working sets, like I just couldn't go as low as I usually do. I'll do at least one more workout at 90# before I move up.

Bench Press: 1x5 @ 45#, 1x5 @ 55#, 4x5 & 1x4 @ 65# - Yep, I failed for the first time on the last rep, and now I truly know what the "roll of shame" is all about. I was by myself in the garage, and my hubby couldn't hear my cries for help, lol. My form didn't feel right at all on these, so I will try again at 65#, and if it still doesn't feel right, I'll go back to 60# until it does.

Rows: 5x5 @ 65# - This was the only thing that felt good last night. My form could probably still use a little bit of tweaking, but it has come so far. I think I can easily do 70# next time.

Still motivated by all the amazing workouts posted here! Great job everyone!
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    8 weeks in and I just got my first comment from someone RE noticing a change! A friend at work asked me what I'd been doing b/c I looked like I'd lost 10-15 lbs! I really haven't lost more than about 3-4 lbs on the scale, but I'm happy to have someone finally confirm that the changes I think I've been seeing in the mirror are real. She said I was looking a lot more "fit"! Yeaaahhh!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    giusa wrote: »

Barbell Squat - 1x5 @ 11.5, 2x5 @ 36.12, 5x5 @ 45
    Bench Press - 2x5 @ 28.5, 5x5 @ 36.12
    Barbell Row - 1x5 @ 45, 2x3 @ 65, 3x5 @ 45

Some days are crappy. You nailed it with "must move on". Just think, the next set will be great!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Nothing exciting, day 2 of Smolov.

Squats: 5x7 @‌ 140lbs
    Bench: 5x7 @ 90lbs
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Cardio today - went for a 4 mile walk OUTSIDE!!! with my man...lovely :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Not so good lifting day.

Workout A
    --Squats 5x5 at 135. I'm staying here for form issues. These felt really heavy. They shouldn't be, but I just felt like a weakling today compared to normal. I think not sleeping well last night impacted me.
    --Bench 5x5 at 110, but barely. The last 1-2 reps on set 4 and 5 weren't pretty. A random dude actually came up and was there to catch the bar in case I didn't get it up. I did get it, but that proved to me how much I struggled today.
    --Rows 5x5 at 65. These felt good.

Did some accessories:
    Forward and side raises for shoulders/delts
    Lat pull down
    Lunges

Also rode for 7.2 miles on the bike
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Another day of being tired from Daylight savings. My body thinks I'm in Hawaiian time, uggg!

Workout B
    Squats 5x5 130lbs - went well, video taped form and looked good.
    Bench 5x5 70lbs - Pretty good, yay bench is fun (I say that now, hahahahah)
    Rows 5x5 70lbs - bleh, these are getting hard and annoying. I need bumper plates as the blasted bar is rolling around on top of the stacked plates and throwing me off. I want to lift, not wrestle with equipment.

Rewarded myself with a nice short rib sandwich! yum! (it sort of fit my macros)
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    And I'm back home. Quick trip to the East coast for work. Did cardio at the hotel fitness center yesterday. 30 minutes alternating walk/jog. SL tonight:

Squats - Twox10 WU w/Bar, 5x5 at 85lbs.
    OHP - 5x5 at 50lbs. Hard.
    DL - 1x5 at 95lbs. I finally decided to not be lazy while I'm at the gym and propped the barbell up to mimic the height with 45's. Holy *kitten* that was easier. I may try to jump weight pretty significantly next time just to get the height. Laying the plates down is just a stupid step I'd rather not deal with, but I recognize how important that height is for form now trying it.

Great progress everyone!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Andi_1977 wrote: »
    Rows: 5x5 @ 65# - This was the only thing that felt good last night.

hey, can't argue with good rows. they're a win in themselves.

went to the gym after (leaving) work (at a normal hour), and so glad i did. last workout i got in was saturday so i was due. i'm not even trying to keep the workout a/b thing straight anymore.

squats: 2x5@45, 2x5@65, 5x5@75. not bad. all my shoulder-related form seems to be much better, feeling strong, but still got a bit of a back tweak so i'm fine with staying right here for now. may have had my stance too narrow, now that i think about it.

rows: 1x8@30, 2x5@50, 5x5@55. last time i tried rows it was awful, this time it was fine and even possibly 'good'. i'm increasing very conservatively so as not to fall back into stinking form habits and mess myself up. but i'm loving that hit to my left shoulder and back.

deadlifts: idk, 5 or 6 at 100. decided it's not deadlift day today, so i was just playing around.

and tah-dah . . . overhead press. 2@5@45, 2@5@50, 1x3@50. i'm fine with those numbers, actually. a couple of the 45 sets felt so easy it was just stupid, and the first two at 50 were like that as well. then i got distracted by someone offering me a tactful form tip/reminder two reps into the last set, which i think was justified but i couldn't finish the next rep after that. was also starting to twist and kip, so i stopped there. but check that out :D 50lb overhead press.

planks: 2@30 secs, whoa nelly have i been neglecting the planks and whoa does it show. i did 20 seconds or so on the left side as well because i'm significantly weaker there than i am on the right.

stretching: i did it. during and after, mostly.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Nice work everyone.

Oh today and well a couple times a week I seem to forget things. Today, I forgot to bring both my chicken (dinner) and protein shake to work. I prefer drinking it at work instead of after lifting cause it's almost 1 am and I'm still trying to finish it. Ended up eating chicken jerky for dinner instead of my planned dinner. Tomorrow will be rough cause I have an odd middle of day shift and will need to get up earlier than usual to get C25K done. At least lifting tonight went fine.

Day 12, B6

deadlift 3x10 @ 145 - heavy but not too bad

db shoulder press 3x10 @ 20 - while i tried to figure out what a group of guys were doing, still not sure, lol
    lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - will try 70 next time

lunge 3x10 @ 22.5 - the 25 was a little too heavy last time
    sb crunch 3x12 - meh

For Fun:
    leg press 3x10 @ 90 - focused on heel more
    good morning 3x8 @ 45 - interesting, tad awkward as it was the first time trying
    row 5x5 @ 95 - with bumper plates, was interesting not stacking any to get the height
    glue bridge 3x10 body weight

Now to finish this pesky protein drink and get some sleep.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Not my best day. I've hit the wall, after all. It felt like I was stuck in a school zone and my body would not go beyond 30km/h. Frustrating.

Worked up to a heavy triple back squats. Made it to 155. That sucked. Bad. Definitely don't think I could hit 190 any time soon. No back squats for a while makes back squats suck. Finished with EMOTM x5 of paused doubles @ 125lbs

Did a similar setup on bench. Heavy triple with 120 touch and go (I'm terrible at touch and go. Whoda thunk you could be better at paused?), EMOTM x5 of paused doubles with 95lbs

Tried to get through 15.1, Didn't even get 5 rounds (4 rounds and 8 deadlifts of 15 hanging knee raises, 10 deads and 5 snatches at 55lbs).

15.1A was a little better, got my clean and jerks at 85 (outmuscled this one and hit myself in the chin. Grr), 95, 105 and 110. Which, I think, might be a PR. Might. It was ugly but I seem to not have too much trouble locking out once the bar is up above my head, lol.

Finished off with some wide grip lat pulldowns, 75x12, 85x10, 100x8, 120x6

Forcing myself to take tomorrow completely off aside from mobility (no sweating whatsoever, Mels), and Sat as a yoga day before I even think of hitting the gym again. I think I'll give the open workouts a go once I'm done with the deload instead. I'm just too beat up.