Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    QUESTION: technically this was my third "fail" at 80 lbs so the app wants me to move to 70 for my next workout. Honestly, I feel good at 80 and think I should stay there and could probably even do 85 just not 5x5....

thoughts?
    Personally, I would stay at 80 for one more session. If I failed a 4th time, I'd deload as recommended. Others thoughts on using the "easy" weights if/when you deload as time to focus on form is also helpful.

I spoke to my trainer this morning and he suggested me that we bring back strenght training as soon as next week, but with little charges (like, doing 65 pounds squat instead of 130). I'm not sure about this, because the doctor advised to stop for two weeks, but the trainer thinks I may be able to take it. Blah. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?
    I'm assuming your trainer is not an MD. Listen to your doctor! One more week of rest is not worth the potential re-injury! Sorry, but don't rush something that serious just because you're bored. :( And I agree with Krok that once you do start back, deloads all around are a good idea.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Ran 5.5k at lunch nice and easy pace, pretty much just to get out of the office before I lost my mind a did a CLM.
    I went into work really early (left at 5) hoping to get home early and do my workout before I got the kids but nope, not happening. I got sucked into a meeting just as I was heading to the elevator to leave.
    Got to it eventually though. Squats 3 day
    150 lbs x 3, 160 lbs x 3 175 lbs x4
    then hanging cleans 3x8 EMOTM 65 lbs

10/8/6/4/2
    ax swings 25 lbs
    farmer walks 45 lbs
    straight leg DL's 90 lbs
    High knees

Then I just hung from the pull up bar because, well I can.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I caved and after seeing a post on xxfitness facebook, I bought the SL app. Yay less plate maths!

Squats 5x5 135lbs - woot, the big plates!
    OHP 5x5 62.5lbs - OMG the last set was heavy. My PR is 67.5, hoping I can past that!
    Deadlift 5x5 135lb - easy peasy.

I did a set of 45lbs front squats. I feel I should do more of those to help with my back squat form but not sure how to incorporate them. Maybe on another day or on bench/row days?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    I'll get to some good numbers (both volume and working weight)

well, but um er. those are pretty impressive right there . . . i know. it's all relative.

crappy workout tonight. can't decide if i'm sorry or glad that i went. i guess glad because i really wanted to go, and sorry because i ended up in the kind of stubborn and spiteful mood that sometimes makes you do things you'll really be sorry about later on.

squats: 2x5@45, 2x5@65, 5x5@75. idek at this point. it's like my form is an alarm clock that i've taken apart to clean it, and now i've got all the little bits strewn around all over the place, and can't figure out how to put them together again. fix the shoulder imbalance that was such a mess just a few months ago, and now it's like i can't figure out how that 'feels' when combined with the rest of what goes into squats. i thought i had it tonight, but then on my way up - every rep - i was feeling one of those tiny little ticking/clicking sensations you get . . . in my back. the kind of thing that doesn't hurt at the time, but still ominous. and like a noise behind the dashboard, i just could not get rid of it. i was too stubborn to deload and so everything that happens as a consequence of all this is going to be completely my fault.

bench: 3x5@45, 5x5@55. or maybe more than 5, idk. like i said, stubborn and spiteful. it was really hit and miss the whole time. i'd have a set that went great, and then i'd do the next one and it would be totally crap. trying so hard to 'find' and hold onto the sensation of my rear delts on the left helping to stabilize the descent, but with intermitttent success. i wasn't stupid enough to hold out for my last bench weight of 65lbs, at least.

deadlifts: almost didn't do them, but then i did. can't find the clean form for these either, but i did them at 65 to start with, then 85 and then i went up to 115.

i'm going to eat a bunch of calcium pills and fish oil capsules, drink another protein shake and go sulk in bed.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I feel much more tired after cardio than after strenght. Is it normal?

i'm not sure if this is a serious question, but afaik there's no reason why it couldn't be perfectly normal, depending on things none of us knows about you. doesn't matter how much you lift - if your body's not used to doing cardio then it will probably get tired.

on your trainer's opinion too, it just depends on whether you trust his judgment more than you trust your doctor's. some trainers are crap and some doctors are crap, but nobody here knows anything about either of yours, so it's pretty hard to tell you whose advice to follow.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Ah the joys of one day where I didn't have to work. Next day off is Friday so I enjoyed today while I could (though I have 3 whole days off in a row coming up for a special little trip with my grandparents on the 31st). Aside from laundry, grocery shopping, checking out little sports nutrition shop and such, I managed to get to the gym. My forearms still ache a little, left a tad more than right, but overall it went well.

Day 13, A7

squat 3x8 @ 115 - kept weight but doing decent so far

push-up 3x8 at rail, didn't want to push the forearm by trying the bench
    seated row 3x8 @ 70 - increased and the last reps were tough

step up 3x8 @ 22.5 - okay so far, area was busier than usual so not used to having people around when I do these
    PJ 3x15 and they are still tough in the last reps but manageable

For Fun:
    front squat 3x8 @ 55 - felt okay at the weight
    OHP 3x8 @ 55 - shoulders need some mobility work but not bad
    db shrugs 3x10 @ 25 - not sure how I feel still on these
    assisted chin-up 3x8 @ 14 - ish... it's going to be a long time before I can pull myself and the range of motion isn't quite where it should be because of my height

Now I can finish up my playlist for tomorrow's C25K workout and maybe write a little before bed.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    @giusa, I remember that when I first got my power cage and first used it after being at the gym it was so hard. Just the bar felt heavier than the bar at my gym. I seriously wondered if Planet Fitness' Oly bars were not actually 45lbs. It takes a little bit longer to move the pins around and the bench to do the different exercises but I got used to it. I had to deload when I started with the power cage. It's a good idea to do get used to the cage and get form down with the new situation. It gets better!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    @giusa, I remember that when I first got my power cage and first used it after being at the gym it was so hard. Just the bar felt heavier than the bar at my gym. I seriously wondered if Planet Fitness' Oly bars were not actually 45lbs. It takes a little bit longer to move the pins around and the bench to do the different exercises but I got used to it. I had to deload when I started with the power cage. It's a good idea to do get used to the cage and get form down with the new situation. It gets better!
    THANKS! I really needed that!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I feel much more tired after cardio than after strenght. Is it normal?

i'm not sure if this is a serious question, but afaik there's no reason why it couldn't be perfectly normal, depending on things none of us knows about you. doesn't matter how much you lift - if your body's not used to doing cardio then it will probably get tired.

on your trainer's opinion too, it just depends on whether you trust his judgment more than you trust your doctor's. some trainers are crap and some doctors are crap, but nobody here knows anything about either of yours, so it's pretty hard to tell you whose advice to follow.

It was a serious question, but I have a hard time to explain why I was asking it (booh to my english skills that are ok to chit chat but make it hard for me when I'm trying to go deeper on any subject).

Ok, so let's try. When you lift, you burn less calories in a single session of lifting, but there is this an after burn effect that keeps running for a while. In my opinion, if your energy expenditure increase for a whole day after lifting, it should be tiring at some point. When you do cardio, the burn is bigger at the time of your workout, but your metabolism goes back to normal as soon as you finish the workout. That would be translated, for me, in some tireness for a couple of minutes after the workout, but less fatigue for the rest of the day. Turns out that my experience is exactly the opposite: when I lift, I'm tired after the workout, but so much more energized for the rest of the day! When I'm doing cardio, I'm really tired after the workout, and I am also feeling pretty numb and apathetic, and it last for a while (like, a couple of hours). I find it almost unsettling, because I go to work just after my workout, and I feel like I am less productive. On the other hand, when I go to work after lifting, for sure I am tired until my breakfast kicks in, but I'm much more energized for the rest of the day.

So, I was wondering if it was normal to feel that much tired after cardio sessions because it is cumbersome to be in this apathetic state after it.

Maybe it's just a nutrition thing, though, because I eat the exact same breakfast after cardio and after lifting (about 40g of proteins, 30g of carbs and 20g of fat), but my nutritional needs are probably not the same after both workouts.

Now, about going back to lifting, I think that I will go by the doctor advice and wait another week. Yesterday night, I saw a friend of mine that is a nurse, and when I thold her that I had an epicondilitis, the first thing she told me was to take things easy because tendons are hard to heal. I think another week will give me time to get better.
  • giusa
    Options
    Now, about going back to lifting, I think that I will go by the doctor advice and wait another week. Yesterday night, I saw a friend of mine that is a nurse, and when I thold her that I had an epicondilitis, the first thing she told me was to take things easy because tendons are hard to heal. I think another week will give me time to get better.
    I'm relieved to hear your taking the doctor's advice.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    It was a serious question

ah okay. that actually sounds like the kind of thing your trainer would be a good person to ask about. i suspect it might be hard to even guess at a meaningful answer when 'cardio' is too general a term to provide good input. i've always been given to understand different exertion levels use different physiological pathways to provide the energy that you would need to do it, and that's been kind of borne out in my own experience with bike commuting. a long steady grind feels really different in terms of the after-effects, compared with a short chunk of aggressive sprinting.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

C25K Week 2, Day 2

So much easier using a beginner cue program than the one podcast I had tried using Thursday. I looked up on the web site cause 2.5 minutes of jogging did seem like a lot for week 2 but I had made my way through it since I didn't have any other music options. Turned out the beginner site for C25k lists the jogs and 1.5 minutes and the walks as 2 minutes for week 2. Big difference. Had an easier walk/jog this time while it rained.

Though I'm having a hard time finding clothes that work well. Loose shirts are okay but my stomach is a bit too bouncy. However, tight shirts don't stay down. I tried the tight shirt I got from walmart that I figured would fit well by summer and it was fine except after each jog I'd have to pull it back down. Glad I had a sweatshirt on over it. Had to pull up the leggings a few times so tight doesn't mean it will stay up or down. Shorts with drawstrings seem better. I will try my other shorts that aren't good for lifting (at least not squats as the material doesn't stretch enough) when it's not rainy.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Though I'm having a hard time finding clothes that work well.

you could jog in a spanx . . . ?

not serious. but from everything i've ever heard about them you need a chainsaw to cut yourself free once they're on.

• DawnEmbers
    Options
    I actually don't have any. Well, I have a tight undershirt but it would probably move up too because it's not quite spanx tight. But hmm... *ponders*
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I bought compression pants from Old Navy that were really cheap (like, about 20$). I will use them to run because they don't fall as easily as leggings, and they keep the tummy in place. I actually love to lift with them because I don't have anything hanging out. You should check them out!

• canadianlbs
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I actually don't have any. Well, I have a tight undershirt but it would probably move up too because it's not quite spanx tight. But hmm... *ponders*

okay, forget all of that. i just found this and i'm laughing up a gut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfK8bGuXtg

/end derail. carry on, folks.

• LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x5 90
    Bench Press 5x5 60
    Barbell Row 5x5 60

I find it really difficult to build upper body strength. No big surprise I guess as I'm an extreme case of powerful legs/t-rex arms but it's frustrating.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    katro111 wrote: »
    I'll get to some good numbers (both volume and working weight)

well, but um er. those are pretty impressive right there . . . i know. it's all relative.

True. I've done these working weights already so I don't feel like they're impressive, but I guess I should feel proud of the accomplishment. Thanks for pointing that out! :)
    Yay less plate maths!

Yes, plate math sucks and that feature in the app is AWESOME!!
    Though I'm having a hard time finding clothes that work well. Loose shirts are okay but my stomach is a bit too bouncy. However, tight shirts don't stay down. I tried the tight shirt I got from walmart that I figured would fit well by summer and it was fine except after each jog I'd have to pull it back down. Glad I had a sweatshirt on over it. Had to pull up the leggings a few times so tight doesn't mean it will stay up or down. Shorts with drawstrings seem better. I will try my other shorts that aren't good for lifting (at least not squats as the material doesn't stretch enough) when it's not rainy.

Old Navy has decent, cheap compression tops & bottoms. Under Armour is fantastic as well, but on the pricey side. The Champion brand stuff at Target is another one with good quality, affordable compression wear.

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Triples day.

Squats: 10x3 @‌ 155lbs
    Bench: 10x3 @‌ 100lbs

Definitely ready for my rest day tomorrow!
  • giusa
    Options
    This workout was 100% better! Didn't have to fight as much with equipment.

Unfortunately a lot of women are in the same situation @LaarainNYC‌, I have a small upper body with no upper body strength, my arms wobble doing 28# overhead press. Ultimately that's why we're here.

Workout A:
    Barbell Squat - 2x5 @ 36.12, 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 55
    Bench Press - 2x5 @ 28.5, 5x5 @ 38
    Barbell Row - 5x5 @ 47

Sumo Squat - didn't get to these, my sciatica is acting up, need to visit the chiropractor