Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I feel like I haven't check in for a while! Thursday was cardio. I took Friday off and Sat/Sun I don't work out. I finished my diet break and went back to deficit Sunday. Felt good to lose a pound+ of water fluff in a day. :)

Squat/Bench/Row today at 90, 75, and 60 all 5x5. All felt pretty good except those darn rows. And I closed the night with about 20 minutes on the treadmill.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    YAY lifting day! I look forward to lifting, it's my favorite time of the day.

Squats 5x5 140lbs
    Bench 5x5 75lbs
    Rows 5x5 75lbs - hard and annoying. I've learned the form on the other lifts, why is this one still being a PITA? debating repeating this weight.

Also did 2 sets of 45lb front squats and 1x1 unintentional 135lb deadlift (ugg, clean up yer weights! I couldn't get the plate off the bar so I gave up and deadlifted it to the squat rack.)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    50 minutes of DDP Yoga (Diamond Cutter) in the books. I keep forgetting I have those videos. Pretty decent sweat for an active recovery day! :)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Squats: 2x5 @ 45, 1x5@ 85, 5x5@125. Going to move up to 130 and try that next.
    Bench: 2x5@45, 5x5@75. Scared to move back to 80 after I almost got smooshed by the bar at 80 last time. Will likely stick to 75 once more.
    Barbell row: 5x5@90.
    Inverse row: 3x8

This lady was in the weight room today just absolutely yammering away about people that were being hired and fired at her company, and how they couldn't find people who were a good fit and yadda yadda...and I feel qualified to work there after her 30 minute rant!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Up early for working out is going well. Deadlift 1 day.
    155 x5, 175 x 3 195 x 2
    Front squats 3x8 empty bar to work on form
    And finally 10/8/6/4/2
    Db snatch 20 lbs
    Lunges 10 lbs each hand
    Burpee squats
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio

Couch to 5k, week 2 day 3.

Next I need to make playlist for week 3.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Wasn't in the mood to lift today, so did a 3mi run. Also set a new time record for myself. 11.75min/mi including several strenuous uphill sections. I know that time is laughable, but my previous record is 12min/mi so it's an improvement for me :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Just the basics today

Workout A (Tues)

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 75

Barbell Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 105

Squats 5 x 5 - 175
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hey all

Taken two days off in a row this week - all those 220lb deadlifts took it out of me on Sunday, plus I have a wee one who is refusing to sleep at night at the moment *yawn*
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    too tired to lift. like, seriously. i'm taking r.a. meds again just on the chance some of this stuff that's been going on is a flare, and it does seem like it's helped. but bleagh this stuff makes me feel sick when i'm not used to it. and feeling barfy makes me feel feeble too.

i did some bathroom-cubicle-wall hangs and a bunch of stretching and a set of 10 semi-pushups off the bike rack before heading home, and i'm done. there have been random bodyweight squats and i may throw in a few planks before bedtime tonight, but sometimes half the battle with strength training is knowing when not to push it.

and with fecking immune disorders, of course.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Got back to lifting tonight. Feels good

Squat 5x5 @150lbs.
    Bench 5x5 @90lbs.
    Row 5x5 @105lbs.

Lat pull downs
    Bulgarian split squats
    Paused front squats
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Felt great today but was a little worried as I was really uncoordinated during my jump rope warm-up and I was getting at 15.3 (scaled version, obviously. 14 min AMRAP 50 wall balls @50 and 200 single under. Muscle-ups are still waaaay ahead of my skillset. And I'm lucky if I can get 5 DUs in 5 minutes. One day!).

Turns out I'm more relaxed when I'm already fatigued and I didn't stumble *that* much. Got to 700 reps. Missed a good number of wallballs, not used to them and my throws were a little too vertical at times.

Rounded out that session with:
    - Pendlay rows 3x5 @ 105lbs
    - 6 rounds of a superset of 1-2 heavy snatch pulls and 4 slow negative romanian deadlifts with 105, 115x3, 120 and 125
    Threw in some push-ups, recline rows, hanging hollow swings and just random stretches in-between sets. Sometimes you gotta take it a little easier and have fun with it! Nice little sesh considering I did NOT want to be up at 5AM when the alarm went off!
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Last night was workout B

Squats: 5x5 @ 95# (I think I'll do this one more time before I move up to 100#)

OHP: 5,4,4,4,2 @ 50# (Yeah! Can't believe I got that many reps with added weight, when I couldn't even do the bar a few weeks ago!)

DL: 1x5 @ 125# (This finally felt heavy. I might have to do this again before moving up, or maybe only add 5# next time.)

I hope I'm just having a bad week, but I'm really starting to feel like I'm hitting a wall. Everything just felt so heavy last night, and my knee keeps preventing me from doing extra cardio. I'm also super bloated for some unknown reason this week, so I can't even see the visible changes I was able to see over the last few weeks. I guess I need to just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing, but sometimes I wonder if I'm doing enough (or maybe I just want to be able to do more than I can physically do right now). /end whine-fest ;p
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Workout B:
    Squats - 2x5 @ 28.5, 1x5 @ 36.12, 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 60
    Overhead Press - 1x5 @ 19.13, 5x5 @ 30.5
    Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 100 lbs

Sumo Squats - 5x5 @‌ 45

I was thinking the same thing last night @Andi_1977, and I'm only at 30.5, lol.
    Last night was *huge* improvement from last week. I even had some energy left for sumo squats, which I desperately need to get rid of the mountains and molehills on my inner thighs. Might move the sumo squats at the end of squats so I don't have to reset...
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in since last Friday! I had a long weekend and wasn't thinking about checking in. I logged and all that, just didn't come here. So here's the fast version:
    Saturday - 60 minute bike ride (about 9 miles - a few stops at stores to pick up things I need and toss them in my backpack).
    Sunday - Walked 30 min (leisure stroll with the man), Lifts: 2x5x45, 1x5x75, 5x5x110 squats; 5x5x65 rows, 5x5x85 bench.
    Monday - 60 minutes walking outside (about 3mph for 3 miles) and 20 minutes of lazy volley ball with the kids
    Tuesday - Lifts: short warmup and then 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x110 squat; 5x5x65 OHP, 1x5x110 deadlift
    Today - nothing yet, but planning a 3 mile walk outside at lunch time (3.5 mph is my guess).

Carry on, champs - you guys are rockin it!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was on Workout B today.

Squats, 5x5@105 lbs. I had been struggling with 95 and 100 over the past few weeks, but tried 105 lbs today, and they actually felt pretty good! I think I will repeat 105 on Friday to not push myself too fast.

OHP, 5x5@55 lbs. These were, not exactly easy, but felt pretty good! I did a 6th rep on a couple of sets, and those reps were hard. I really hope I can get 60 lbs next time!

Deadlift, 2x5@105 lbs. These were pretty easy (which is why I did 2 sets - haha). I will go up next time.

I did some calf raises and lunges in between sets, also did good mornings, 3x10 @ 55 lbs.

Finished off with ~4 miles on the treadmill. All in all, it was a pretty good workout! I'm glad I sucked it up and made myself get up at 4:15 this morning. :smile:
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @coltsgirl311 your comment about squats gives me hope! I know some days just feel better than others, and I probably haven't gotten enough sleep this week, but my last few workouts have really "messed with my head" a little. I guess I need to just be patient, push myself (safely and within reason), and eventually I'll be surprised at my increases too!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Andi_1977 wrote: »
    @coltsgirl311 your comment about squats gives me hope! I know some days just feel better than others, and I probably haven't gotten enough sleep this week, but my last few workouts have really "messed with my head" a little. I guess I need to just be patient, push myself (safely and within reason), and eventually I'll be surprised at my increases too!

I have had a heck of a time moving up on lifts! I was up to 135 on squats at one point, but my form was crap, so I made myself deload and work on form, and it has been slow going getting back up in weight. However, I do not want to hurt myself, and so I try not to beat myself up when I need to stay on the same weight for more than one session.

Others have said that if you can't increase in weight, try increasing # of reps (maybe do 5x6 or 5x7 sets at a weight you can do). I have been trying that with OHP because I cannot get over the 55 lb hurdle.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Much better workout today than Monday! Felt much more "in the zone."

Squats: 5x7 @ 160lbs
    Bench: 5x7 @ 100lbs (still grindy on reps 6 and 7 of sets 3, 4, and 5)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i wasn't sure if i should go today or or rest one more day, but in the end i did and it worked out really well. i'm happy. workout a, with extras.

squats: 2x5@45, 2x5@55, 1x5@65, 5x5@75.
    back still ticking, but shoulders much more level and i did all those warmup sets because i was trying to locate a form that didn't cause it. think i may have a track to follow with that. been forgetting to point the nipples at the ground :D. also think i've been overkilling it on the depth and putting myself into buttwink turf, so i tried to keep that more under control. 75 felt pretty easy really and i'm getting so much better at holding the bar up with my delts/traps/all that. but i'm not ready to push any limits with squatting right now.

** just gonna mention though . . . my legs are like rocks. i tend to forget this kind of thing because i'm so used to it now, but thinking back to my form when i first started out the most impressive change is how solid my legs have gotten with squats. i can't remember the last time 'cave-in' was even a thing in my mind. my legs just go down and then they come up again, like it ain't no thing. don't even think about needing to keep my knees tracking over my toes anymore, because that's just what knees do.**

bench press: 2x5@45, 2x5@55, 5x5@60
    yay, a 5lb increase. go me. felt pretty good and i liked my form quite a lot. definitely felt my left rear shoulder muscles working to control the descents, which is exactly the kind of thing that i'm looking for.

rows: 5ormaybe6@5@50. 50 was easily manageable, but i was in the gym with the fixed-weight bars that only increment by 10lbs, and 60 was too heavy for me to keep my form right. much better symmetry in my shoulders, and probably the happiest i've been with rows yet.

i meant to do some one-sided farmer's carry circuits as part of the asymmetry project, but then i kind of, well uh well . . . forgot.

and then since the rows had been light but i didn't want to do any more of them, i did 3 sets of 8-12 ohp @30lb so as to give myself a 3-dimensional shoulder workout. well, closer to 8 than 12, but it counts as accessory work.

@threnjen, your run is great. calling it 'laughable' is just . . . laughable. being able to sustain the kind of effort that running takes for as long as that is impressive to me, i don't even care what kind of distance you covered in it.