Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I can't run a mile yet alone alone under 15 minutes and that's just one.

Some good stuff going on in here. I finished workout A for stage 1 of NROLFW. Just have workout B then the weird test days where supposed to test reps on all the lifts with starting weights from the beginning of the stage. After that, I'll have 2 gym days to just play around and maybe try a couple things stage 2 introduced, then I'm taking a few days off from it all. Off from gym, work and calorie (protein) counting. They will be 3 glorious days and I can't wait.

Day 15, A8

squat 3x8 @ 120 - not bad, I wasn't sure at first on the increase but felt fine.

push up 3x8 @ bench - first improvement on pushups at all. I decided to do at least one set using the seated cable spot and ended up getting all three done there though last ones were tough.
    seated row 3x8 @ 70 - still a little challenge but not bad.

step up 3x8 @ 22.5 - kept to same weight on this one.
    PJ 3x15 - couldn't find the right ball so had to use a bigger one, which I didn't care for doing.

For Fun:
    leg press 3x10 @90 with focus on pushing with heels
    good morning @ 45 just the bar
    row @ 50 with fixed weight bar, not pendlay style
    glute bridges 3x10 bw

Enjoying a nice greek yogurt as I am doing days where I eat dairy and the rest of the week no dairy. mmm yogurt. Then it's off to bed cause so tired.

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in the mood, but I did it anyways.
    Quick cardio warmup
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x3x75, 5x5x115
    Bench: 5x5x85
    Row: 5x5x70

Squats were hard to hold form so I'll repeat that weight until I feel confident with the form - bench was also a struggle at the end, so I'll repeat that as well. The rows were fine, but the little 10 pounders don't keep the bar off the ground very high, so the lift is a bit awkward.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thank You @krokador! I went back today and did another 20 minutes cardio and then lots of stretches/back strengthening per the chiropractor. I saw him again yesterday and the bulging disk is now hitting my sciatic nerve. GRRRR.
    Excuse my whining...I just want to be better! Its been about 7 weeks since this all started and it feels like a lifetime of no lifting.

I will be sure to try a dumbbell circuit when things are feeling better.

I still love reading everyone's updates! So motivational!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have been managing to drag my butt out of bed early still. Yesterday I was supposed to get up and go for sprints but I just managed to get out of bed and do some editing instead. I did however manage to get my sprints done after work before getting the tiny humans so it got done and I kept my up early going
    Today was easy to get out of bed, lifting is more enjoyable so it is easier to get started on it.
    Bench 1 day
    70 lbs x 5, 85 lbs x 3, 95 lbs x 2
    Then 3x8 65 lbs
    10/8/6/4/2
    upright rows 45 lbs
    DB rows 20 lbs
    resistance band crossover rows
    assisted pullups
    hanging knee raises

Next week is the deload week so I will probably play around with accessories a little bit, try to be a little creative for my next wendler cycle
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Cardio day

I remembered what I hadn't done yet last night as I went to bed at 1am. I didn't have a playlist made for C25K week 3. So, I just did Week 2 an extra day. Probably for the better since I've been on my feet so much and went to the gym last night. I had planned my fitness schedule on the idea of having Thursday's off along with Friday but that wasn't the end result. I'll need to re-evaluate my schedule when I start stage 2.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout B (Thurs)

Dumbbell Side Bends - 5 x 10 - 40

Bench press - 1 x 5 - 105

Deadlift 5 x 5 - 195

Squats 5 x 5 - 175

Flat Dumbbell Fly - 5 x 5 - 40

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 105

Overhand Biceps Curl Seated - 5 x 5 115
  • barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Been MIA due to a cold, but now I'm back and ready to rock and roll. Had a workout earlier this week, deloaded my squats to 75 to really concentrate on form. Definitely felt it the next day! :) Worked out tonight, was pretty hungry, but gave it 110%. Couldn't repeat my best deadlift performance of 135x5 but will be sure to eat a quick snack next time and not wait halfway through the workout to do deadlifts.

When you guys squat, are you going pretty much until your belly touches your quads and/or your glutes almost touch your calves?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Good day today :)

Squat - 5x5 at 130 lbs - Body weight! Woo hoo! I actually did this weight before my deload, but my form was not good, and I have lost a few pounds since then. Felt ok, but hard. I am debating staying here for another session, or trying for the big girl plates.

OHP - 5x5 at 55 lbs. Meh. I am very unsteady with the bar. I am not keeping it level. My right arm seems to lag behind, which is odd since I am right handed. I wonder if it is because I always carried my daughter on my left side to keep my right arm free? I am going to stay here to work on my form until it is solid, but I am antsy to move up.

DL - 1x5 at 135, 1x5 at 160 lbs. A new high for me :) Last time I increased from 155, I went to 165 and pulled a muscle in my back. I think I might be ok to try 165 next time.

3x6 assisted pull ups with 40 lbs assist.
    When you guys squat, are you going pretty much until your belly touches your quads and/or your glutes almost touch your calves?

This will depend on your body, your stance, and how high you hold the bar. You want to break parallel, so the crease at your hips going below the top of your kneecap. The easiest way I have found to judge this is to film yourself, or have someone watch and tell you when you have hit that depth, then you can see where your body is at that point. For me, yes, my belly touches my quads. I have no idea what the back side is doing :P
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Pretty good lifting today!

Squats 5x5 145lbs - Easy, only took the short breaks
    OHP 5x5 65lbs - first 3 sets were easy and I took short breaks. 4th set was like lifting in slow mo and I realized if I took the 3 minute break instead it would of been easy again. 5th set was fine.
    Deadlift 1x5 145lbs - doing good!

Next OHP will be 67.5lb, which is my PR that I never got 5x5 and failed 3 times. Since my deload to OHP 45lbs it's been smooth sailing without any fails to this point, so I think I can do it!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Had the day off work this morning so took advantage of that with some morning lifting

Squat 5x5 @‌ 150lbs.
    Ohp 5x5 @ 60lbs.
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 190lbs then 1x3 @ 220lbs and 1x1 @ 220lbs.

Latpulldowns, step ups as accessories then a superset from hell....

Death by deadlifts.....
    Deadlifts 5x5 @ 175lbs superset with 5x5 hip thrusts at 25lbs.

Ouch.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Well today was annoying. I went to the gym, cage in use, started on elliptical. At 15min the cage freed up and I was pondering because 10min is usually the tipping point where I will just commit to a cardio workout. But while I stood there mulling it over someone else went to the cage. Sigh.
    So I just kept doing cardio, although after 20 min of elliptical I moved to the stationary bike so I could dink on MFP while keeping my heart rate up >.>

I'm mostly annoyed because it was a beautiful day out and I love running outside, so if I had known it was a cardio day I just would have had a nice run.

I really need to lift, it has been since Sunday =|
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Had another pretty good workout today, good start to my Friday!

Workout A:

Squats: 5x5@105 lbs. I repeated here to make sure form is OK and felt pretty good again. I will try 110 lbs next time.

Bench: 5x5@60 lbs. These were sort of tough, but got 5x5 without issue. I will go to 65 lbs next time.

Rows: 5x5@70 lbs. These are hit or miss for me usually; today's were fine so I will try 75 lbs next time, but not sure if it will pan out.

Accessory: RDLs, 3x10@70 lbs.

Cardio: 45 minutes on elliptical.

Happy first day of spring! I hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

This will depend on your body, your stance, and how high you hold the bar. You want to break parallel, so the crease at your hips going below the top of your kneecap. The easiest way I have found to judge this is to film yourself, or have someone watch and tell you when you have hit that depth, then you can see where your body is at that point. For me, yes, my belly touches my quads. I have no idea what the back side is doing :P

Thanks very much! I thought I was breaking parallel before, but once I started going as low as possible, definitely felt it the next day!

Checked my measurements this morning and since mid-February, have lost 0.5 inches in waist, 1.5 inches around belly button, no changes in biceps and about 2 inches from hips. Scale has gone down 0.2 pounds. I have been frustrated lately with the scale progress and am so glad I have been keeping track of measurements instead. It has been therapeutic for me to write out my progress instead of watching the stupid weight loss line graph on the app go up and down.

Woke up last night starving (and this morning)...Strongly considering increasing my calories from ~1750 to ~1900-2000 (would be around maintenance).

TLDR: Screw the scale, take measurements. Eat more!!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat 1 Day
    155 lbs x 5, 165 lbs x 3 and 175 lbs x2, I might have been able to get 3 but my lower back has been complaining a bit lately and I figured I was already pushing it a little.
    Hanging cleans 3x8 EMOTM 65 lbs
    10/8/6/4/2
    ax swings
    farmer walks
    Straight-leg DL
    High knees
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Day o' rest - for now :)
    These days often turn into some kind of walking or whatever, but nothing intense :)
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I was rather hungry yesterday. Learned that I shouldn't do morning C25k then spend hours working while consuming nothing but coffee stuff. I didn't get actual food until after 3:30 pm yesterday. Was a bit hungry all day.

But I don't have work today. Yay! I get to do laundry, buy food and rest. Well, by rest I mean I'm going to not be at work but still go lift later tonight. Though I will go maybe after 9:30 instead of around 11 pm since I'm able to go any time today. It's last day of Stage 1 so deadlift instead of squat but my accessory will be front squats, so we'll see if I have to stalk the squat rack.

As for depth, definitely varies. I carry a fair amount of my excess weight in my stomach so it was hitting my thighs before I'd reach parallel. I fixed my stance a little so my toes point outward to a small degree instead of straight forward and that helped so stomach doesn't rest on legs too early.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Well, I ended up doing 4 days of lifting this week. Two days of 5x5, one of doing 5x5 with empty bar to show a friend who is interested and another day of low weights to use for form and for cardio work. Today is rest day plus my husband comes home from London.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ran 6km this morning - did a few sets of random sprints. Felt hard and almost like I was about to puke haha but survived and now I feel awesome!!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't finish my bench sets, but I'm still happy with today's workout. I completely ran out of steam after 7 sets of squats and 3 sets of bench, but I didn't struggle too much with the weight and reps. I should've planned a more hearty afternoon snack that was closer to lifting time. I even scribbled on my workout notepad "no. more. energy. NEED PANCAKES." Oh well. Lesson learned! I went straight into the kitchen to make pancakes for dinner.

Squats: 7x5 @ 170lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @‌ 105lbs

Tomorrow is 10x3's but since it's a weekend, I can hit it early and be properly fueled.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i went in at 7am today, with a hard time limit of exactly one hour. didn't get all of it done as i had to wait 20 mins for the rack to start with. and way more rushed when it came to the 'resting' in between sets. so my mental note now is to try for 6:30 instead.

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@65, 5x5@80. fingers crossed. that was a 5lb increase over the 75 i've been at for a while, but i discovered/remembered a few of the critical factors and the warmups felt like good form so it felt realistic to try. not saying that they weren't hard work, but i think i executed them well and i'm pretty pleased with myself. HIP DRAHVE.

ohp: not so much. had to move straight into them after the squats with my delts still feeling mashed by the bar. i think i did all 5 sets, but i never got more than 4 reps on any of them iirc. only somewhere in the last set did i start getting the hang of the penguin-elbows/tits-up progression again, and by then i was out of time i could spend.

deadlifts: very rushed. i did do 3 or 4 of them at 100, but ran out of time and again, not much rest. i ended up going back to 50 after i called time on myself, and just cranking off a set of 8 or 10 for the sake of the hamstring hell that they raised.

then bike ride to work. i was pleased about this actually. leaving from the gym adds an extra mile and a half or so, and i wasn't too sure how i'd do with it straight from the gym. turned out that i made extremely good time.

overall, not bad for minimal rest breaks and no-food-eaten, i think.

accessories late in the day when i was alone in the office: 2x60sec front planks, 1 each 60 sec sides, and a buncha stretching. i am SO building myself a deficit when it comes to rolling and stretching my quads. just lying down with them pressed into the floor was a breath-catcher.