Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Short warmup and then
    Squat: 2x5: 45, 1x5: 75, 5x5: 105
    OHP: 5x5: 65
    Dead: 1x5: 110

I've been sticking with 105 on the squats for a few sessions now because they're still a little sloppy and hard. I have no problem creeping up. Wasn't the best feeling workout. My form was ok, but I just wasn't feeling it. I almost didn't get up and do it, but I'm glad I sucked it up and hit it.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@75, 5x5@120
    Bench: 2x5@45, 5x5@70
    Rows: 5x5@90
    Inverse row: 3x8

• MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The rumors were true - little improvement the first day then I started to feel much better. I'm not 100% but I can move/sit/sleep without pain and I have most of my flexibility back. I can trigger unpleasantness if I move in certain ways and I need to be diligent about moving about and stretching throughout the day or else I get stiff. Tiger balm and icy hot also help soothe. Thankfully, I think it's just pulled muscle and nothing more serious. Should be 100% in a few weeks.

I did hot yoga last night and it felt great. I was able to do upward dog and cobra and full forward bends. We didn't attempt anything more advanced like headstands, shoulder stands, or camel pose, not that I would have attempted them if they were on the agenda. My balance was a little off because my core is injured but I was happy with how I did and felt. Going to stick to yoga, low impact cardio, and maybe some upper body work for the time being.

I was really bummed that I was injured because it seems as soon as I start to make progress (I had a squat PR before this) something happens to knock me off my high horse. Thinking about it now, though, I needed a break. I was having to make myself go to the gym and it's been a nice mental break to just go home after work and not have anything I feel I need to do. I'm traveling next week for work and I don't have to worry about finding a barbell or not exercising. It's also given me time to shift focus on eating within/nearer to my calorie goals.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio Day: Week 2, Day 1 of C25K

This was a little tough but partly from lifting till midnight last night with some accessory focus on hamstrings and glutes, followed by getting less than 4 hours of sleep. Plus my route results in the last 2 jogs including some slight inclines. My thighs were tired by the end, but I made it through without feeling like dying or having lots of pain, so it's good. Last jogs were slow and I definitely need to make my own playlists for these weeks but still getting through it all.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Just the basic workout tonight, because of a truck fire a couple of nights ago my commute is a traffic nightmare till next week.

Workout A (Thurs)

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 75

Barbell Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 105

Squats 7 x 5 - 175 (first 2 were more of a warmup, not as low)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Finished moving all (most there is still some random plates that need to go and the elliptical is staying where it is) of my gym into the basement and did bench day. I must say that I really like this set up better and I will be able to lift early AM without waking up hubby if I ever so choose to workout before work.
    Bench
    75 lbs x 3 85 lbs x 3 95 lbs x 3
    then 3x8 at 65 lbs

Finally 10/8/6/4/2
    DB rows 20 lbs
    reverse flies 5 lbs
    upright row empty bar
    assisted pullups
    hanging leg raises

I think I need to find some new set up for accessories for my next wendler cycle. I found the 10/8/6/4/2 set up to be neat but the novelty is wearing off.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Cardio day, ran three miles, the end :)
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Pretty empty at the gym this morning, it was nice.

Workout A
    Squats, 5x5@100 lbs. Tough but a lot better than I felt on Wednesday at 95 lbs, so that's a win in my book.
    Bench, 5x5@60 lbs. These were ok. I will move up next time.
    Rows, 5x5@65 lbs. First set felt tough, but got easier after that. I will attempt 70 lbs next time.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the gym and I am embarrassingly excited that I hit 50 for 5x5 on OHP. Only took 9 weeks to add weight!!

BRTky.jpg
    See more on Know Your Meme

Last night’s workout reminded me of your post, lol, can’t wait till I can say that!!

Workout B:
    Squats - 2x5 @ 28.5, 1x5 @ 36.12, 5x5 @ 50
    Overhead Press - 1x5 @ 19.13, 5x5 @ 28.5
    Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 95

@andy_1977 & @questionfear, thanks ladies! It wasn’t as disastrous as last time, only hit myself in the face/eye once trying to take the clamps off the bar to switch weights, and slight black/blue mark on my bad knee. People are going to wonder, lol. Even tried chin ups, just not going to happen, couldn’t even hang on the bar - but it will happen!

Reading all your post gives such encouragement.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Another boring cardio here in my world. I did 50 minutes of Spinning this morning (and almost throwed up by the end of the workout). I feel much more tired after cardio than after strenght. Is it normal?

I spoke to my trainer this morning and he suggested me that we bring back strenght training as soon as next week, but with little charges (like, doing 65 pounds squat instead of 130). I'm not sure about this, because the doctor advised to stop for two weeks, but the trainer thinks I may be able to take it. Blah. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Ooooo...I might stick with the doctor's advice, better to be safe than sorry I would think. I don't know, it's also a lot about how you feel. Two weeks is better than 2 months by worsening an injury...
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    Rest day. So far. Any time I have a planned "rest" day it usually turns into some kind of cardio later. I'm ok with either outcome, but for now, I've done zero.
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Another boring cardio here in my world. I did 50 minutes of Spinning this morning (and almost throwed up by the end of the workout). I feel much more tired after cardio than after strenght. Is it normal?

Any advice?

I spin 3 times a week for 45 minutes and am completely wiped out after! Much more so than with lifting... so I feel your pain
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Workout A today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 100lbs
    Bench: 5,5,5,5,4 @80lbs
    Rows:5x5 @‌ 83lbs

I probably could have squeezed out another rep of bench but ever since I failed last summer (safely) I'm a little nervous to.

QUESTION: technically this was my third "fail" at 80 lbs so the app wants me to move to 70 for my next workout. Honestly, I feel good at 80 and think I should stay there and could probably even do 85 just not 5x5....

thoughts?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I spoke to my trainer this morning and he suggested me that we bring back strenght training as soon as next week, but with little charges (like, doing 65 pounds squat instead of 130). I'm not sure about this, because the doctor advised to stop for two weeks, but the trainer thinks I may be able to take it. Blah. I don't know what to do.

Any advice?

I would start with doing bodyweight or very lightweight first (like, bar only) no matter when you start back. At least for a couple workouts, just to get the groove back. See this as a chance to work on form and maybe experiment with a few tweaks. If your elbows were hurting after squats, perhaps try changing your grip on the bar to something more comfortable. If it was the inside of the meniscus that hurt (I can't recall), work with a narrower stance. I'm not saying put your feet together, but maybe just an inch to see how it feels. Try out high bar squats (they're easier on the knees), even! My experience with meniscus was that the stuff I had to avoid was twisting over my knee, but bending was just fine. Even past the toes *gasp!*. And below parallel! *re-gasp!* In all seriousness, if you're not hurting anymore, go ahead and do stuff that makes you happier. Cardio is atrociously boring for the most part, right? xD Just make sure you gradually get back in it and scale back as soon as you feel a twinge uncomfortable in the previously affected areas.
  • Andi_1977
    Andi_1977 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Last night was Workout B, and it definitely felt better than my last workout.

Squats: 5x5 @ 90# - These felt better today, and I had my hubby watch my form, and he said it was fine, so I guess I'll move up to 95 next time. I think I had my feet angled out a little too far last time, and that was making it feel weird to me and messing with my depth.

OHP: 5x5 @ 45# - Got through them all again, but I doubt I'll be moving up to 50# anytime soon! Maybe I'll try for it after one more time at 45#, and just do as many reps as I can, even if it's only 3 per set. I guess that's the point of the program!

DL: 1x5 @ 115# - Felt really good. I love DLs! Will go for 125# next time.

Everyone else is still doing great! Hope everyone that is dealing with injuries and other setbacks right now will be back to normal soon!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Workout A today:

Squats: 5x5 @ 100lbs
    Bench: 5,5,5,5,4 @80lbs
    Rows:5x5 @‌ 83lbs

I probably could have squeezed out another rep of bench but ever since I failed last summer (safely) I'm a little nervous to.

QUESTION: technically this was my third "fail" at 80 lbs so the app wants me to move to 70 for my next workout. Honestly, I feel good at 80 and think I should stay there and could probably even do 85 just not 5x5....

thoughts?

Depends. You could try working 80 more times before you deload, or you could deload and work back up to 80 and try again. I did a deload on bench at 80 and went to 65 (I had some form issues) and am back to 75 with a much stronger feeling. Same with squats (got to 115, failed 3x, moved back to 100, blasted through 115 to 120 like a boss). So experiment and see if stalling at one weight or backing down and pushing back works better for you.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DaivaSimone‌ - stick to the doctor's advice. Re-injuring can often more than double your recovery time...and I mean is you were told to be of for 2 weeks, then reinjure, you will often be off for an ADDITIONAL 4 weeks to recover the second time. Wait until you are healed...there is plenty of time to get back to lifting. Ease in when you do go back and STOP if you feel pain. You can push through soreness, but never push through actual pain.

@Sallybally55‌ - I am no expert, but I know many women are more lax on the "rules" for upper body workouts. If you want to try 80 again, go ahead. If you think you could benefit from working on form by deloading to 70, do that.

As for me, I was exhausted yesterday so I ditched my workout and did it today instead. I am working this weekend, so no derby on Sunday, so I can move tomorrow's workout to Sunday and not miss anything. Today was good. Almost back up to my pre-deload weights.

Squat - 5x5 at 120 lbs. Depth is good, bar could be more stable. I need to remember that whole "pretend you are trying to bed your bar over back" thing. I remembered toward the end, and it also helped keep my wrists straight. Got chucks yesterday, so wore those and loved having no wobble in my feet at the bottom. Definitely sticking with them.

OHP - 5x5 at 55 lbs. Good, but not remembering to lock out at the top, and core could be more stable, so I will repeat this one.

DL - 1x5 at 155 lbs. Felt good :) This is the highest weight I have gotten on DL so far. Last time I tried 165, I pulled the muscle in my back, so I am going up to 160 instead next and will stick with 5 lb increments.

3x8 assisted pull ups at 55 lbs, followed by a couple hangs from the bar. I will be going down to 40 lbs assist next time.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Felt crappy most of yesterday, couldn't really shake it and it showed in my lift last night:

Squat 5x5 @ 145lbs - my deloaded weight, felt good and deep
    - Bench 5,4,5,5,5 @‌ - 90lbs.
    - Row 5x5 @ 90lbs.

Lat pull downs
    Bulgarian split squats
    Paused front squats
    For accessories

Planning a 5 km run today. Feeling better, a big sleep thanks to Mr 2 years old really helped!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Another nothing special, building up lifting sesh. Gonna be boring tomorrow and for all next week; March 23rd is when I'll get to some good numbers (both volume and working weight) lol.

Squats - 7x5 @‌ 150lbs
    Bench - 7x5 @ 95lbs