Daily Check-in: Time March-es on

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Deloaded some weight today for squats. Weirdly I was sort of apprehensive about lifting today, I can't even say why? I just felt an aversion to it, like I was intimidated or something. Bizarre, right? Anyways, I did it and that's what counts. I started with the bar on squats and this is how it went:
    Squats
    1x5: 45
    1x5: 55
    1x5: 65
    1x5: 75
    1x5: 85
    1x5: 95
    5x5: 105
    --- I wanted to go up to as high as I could while keeping my form in check. 105 was tough to keep locked in on the form, so I'll repeat it next time, and again until my form is solid at that weight. Then I'll move up - I'm in no hurry and I'm certain I won't regret perfecting the form before moving along.
    Benchpress
    5x5: 90
    Rows
    5x5: 85 --- form was sketchy, will repeat next time (and again until I'm confident in it)

I warm up to a little cardio app thingy for 5 minutes before doing all this.
    That's it!
    I'm happy to report that my groin muscle was not moody at all about the squats today, so it seems like the extra day between the lifts paid off. I'm hoping if I stick to my mantra of perfecting form before progressing I will avoid that pain again in the future!

Woah! That's a LOT of warm-ups on the squats O_o Honestly? You could probably get away with doing 45x5, 65x5 and 95x3 (maybe an 85x5 if you're really stiff). You'd be less fatigued by the time you hit the 105, still warmed up and probably less sore at the end of the day. Just the plate switching involved in that progression has me cringe and not feel like doing it, even if it's just 5's and 10s that come on and off xD Any particular reasons you do that many?
  • barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Worst gym workout ever...so frustrated!! Think I pulled something in my groin. I saw where one of you ladies had mentioned changing the stance might help so will Deload next time and work on perfecting form.
    Only had a protein shake before working out...had no energy after finishing squats. So many things going wrong. Feel like I'm just getting fatter!! Went over calories last night thanks to some beer and wine. I don't want to go to less than 1700 but I feel like I'm not losing at all!!! Aaaaagh.

Okay. Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Deloaded some weight today for squats. Weirdly I was sort of apprehensive about lifting today, I can't even say why? I just felt an aversion to it, like I was intimidated or something. Bizarre, right? Anyways, I did it and that's what counts. I started with the bar on squats and this is how it went:
    Squats
    1x5: 45
    1x5: 55
    1x5: 65
    1x5: 75
    1x5: 85
    1x5: 95
    5x5: 105
    --- I wanted to go up to as high as I could while keeping my form in check. 105 was tough to keep locked in on the form, so I'll repeat it next time, and again until my form is solid at that weight. Then I'll move up - I'm in no hurry and I'm certain I won't regret perfecting the form before moving along.
    Benchpress
    5x5: 90
    Rows
    5x5: 85 --- form was sketchy, will repeat next time (and again until I'm confident in it)

I warm up to a little cardio app thingy for 5 minutes before doing all this.
    That's it!
    I'm happy to report that my groin muscle was not moody at all about the squats today, so it seems like the extra day between the lifts paid off. I'm hoping if I stick to my mantra of perfecting form before progressing I will avoid that pain again in the future!

Woah! That's a LOT of warm-ups on the squats O_o Honestly? You could probably get away with doing 45x5, 65x5 and 95x3 (maybe an 85x5 if you're really stiff). You'd be less fatigued by the time you hit the 105, still warmed up and probably less sore at the end of the day. Just the plate switching involved in that progression has me cringe and not feel like doing it, even if it's just 5's and 10s that come on and off xD Any particular reasons you do that many?

Ohhhh, that's not the norm at all for me. I pulled a muscle in my groin at 130 and wanted to slide back and work on my failing form. I wasn't sure really what weight to go to, though, and I also wanted to make sure that the muscle was going to be ok for the squatting. I didn't actually intend this to be a warm up as much as a groin-test LOL. It worked, though, I found the weight that my form got slightly sloppy and stayed. No groin pain, either. Sunday my warm-up will be significantly less than this.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it.

"Well, no mistakes in it yet." - Muriel Stacey :)
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Worst gym workout ever...so frustrated!! Think I pulled something in my groin. I saw where one of you ladies had mentioned changing the stance might help so will Deload next time and work on perfecting form.
    Only had a protein shake before working out...had no energy after finishing squats. So many things going wrong. Feel like I'm just getting fatter!! Went over calories last night thanks to some beer and wine. I don't want to go to less than 1700 but I feel like I'm not losing at all!!! Aaaaagh.

Okay. Tomorrow is a brand new day with no mistakes in it.

-

Barney- do you ever stretch your hip flexor before lifting? My sister's strength coach MAKES them do this stretch before squats and she showed it to me when I was having trouble hitting parallel. It helps a lot..

hip_flexor_stretch_214__1.jpg
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Reducing calories has impacted OHP a bit. It's okay though, I would rather lose a bit more weight and bf than increase quickly on my OHP.

This mornings lifts:

WARMUP
    bike 5 min
    arm swings 1 min
    kettlebell swings 2 mins
    jumping jacks 1 min

LIFTS
    Squat 5x8 107.5
    OHP 2x5 51.3, 2x5 50, 4x5 47.5 (hopefully the volume makes up for it)
    Deadlift 2x5 96.3 (up slightly!)

I signed up to run 30 miles for March so tomorrow will be a long-ish run!!
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    First time lifting since last Thursday. Travel, guests, and snow really threw off my workout plans for the week. Workout was hard but felt good. Next time will be good :smile:

Squat 125 5x5 deload from what was supposed to be 135. I'll get there again in no time. 125 felt heavy today though because of my recent sloth-ness.

Row 80 5x5 deload from 85. Was fine.

Bench 80 5x5 deload from 85. I did two reps at 85 at the end.

Going to get back in the gym Sunday and go every other day next week because I will be traveling again the week after next.

• awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Today was hot! I'm in California and it's 29c/84F right now! I hate lifting in stuffy warm garage! I'm happy to give you all over in the east some warm weather!

Anyways, today was SL A, working back from a small deload for being away for 2 weeks. However during warm up sets for bench, I decided to repeat my last weight as it was easy.

Squats 5x5 120lbs
    Bench 5x5 65lbs - too easy! I was doing 90 sec breaks and watching the timer!
    Rows 5x5 65lbs - went over better than last time

Weird how being away my brain and muscles clicked on form!

I also attempted to do chin ups with an assisted pull up band. It did not go at all. I know I got the right band, I guess try again after some more progression on rows.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So I ended up extremely active today and I'm going to pay for it tomorrow.
    5k recovery run
    30 minute walk to prevent coworker homicide
    Beautiful unplanned 2 hour hike in the park taking pictures
    Then day 5 squats
    135 lbs x5, 145 lbs x 5, 155 x5 these were hard probably because by that point I had 20, 000 steps.
    Hanging cleans 55 lbs 3x8
    Then 10/8/6/4/2
    Ax swings 25 lbs
    Farmer walks 45 lbs plates
    Straight leg Dls with the 45 lbs
    High knees

Then lots of stretching and foam rolling. Will be doing lots of that tonight and tomorrow...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    You gals are all doing amazing things!!! Be proud of your bad selves! :)

I had hoped to get two gym sessions in while traveling this week. Second session would have been today, but I decided that dinner and sleep were more important -- I will likely be asleep before 8:45 PM. Back to normal next week.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just got home from the gym and I am embarrassingly excited that I hit 50 for 5x5 on OHP. Only took 9 weeks to add weight!!

BRTky.jpg
    See more on Know Your Meme

Anyway...My back feels 97% so I think I'm going to load next week. I definitely need to take advantage of eating at maintenance and the energy I'm getting from that.

Squats - warmup with bar for 10, 4x5 at 75lbs, and 1x5 at 80lbs.
    OHP - 5x5 at 50lbs.
    DL - 1x5 @ 85lbs.
    Lat Pulls - 3x8 at 60lbs
    Hamstring curls - 3x8 at 50lbs.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    BRTky.jpg

well, i ain't skeered of you . . . not enough to not say YAY!!!! anyway. bunnies and rainbows for you. you'll have to go and be badass where someone's not grinning this hard.

i just spent 14 hours at a desk so my social-appropriateness metre has gone all goofy. ignore. the ohp is seriously great though. congrats.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Made it to the gym after short shift at work. Good day overall as I even got writing stuff done before going in to work along with buying groceries so that I have more protein options in my house. That is my food plan pretty much, trying to get enough protein daily and the rest is just bonus. lol

Day 10, B5

deadlift 3x10 @ 145 - working on form a tad but still decided to go up to the 145 again. Not bad at 10 reps.

db should press 3x10 @ 20 - the 17.5 was in use so figured I'd go up instead of down.
    lat pulldown 3x10 @ 60 - kept this one the same as last time.

lunge 3x10 @ 25 - so heavy. I wanted the 22.5 but they were in use.
    sb crunch 3x12 - eh

For Fun:
    front squat 3x8 @‌ 50 just cause
    ohp 3x8 @ 50 taking turns with front squat

db shrug 3x10 @ 20 - trying this out but I dunno, even the 20 felt easy

assisted chin-up 1x5 @ 14 and 2x5 @ 13 - rofl... so, I guess you can be a little too short for that one. Thought I would get up the nerve to try it and I have to be on my toes to grab the bars to begin with. Then add by the time the top of my head is near the top handles, clunk go the weights. It doesn't go higher than that. Until I can pull my own weight up the rest of the way, I guess I can pull up to the top of my head instead of chin. Oh well.
  • abrand1121
    abrand1121 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have done 5x5 twice in the last 2 weeks. Kept waiting to workout with my better half and he kept getting home late on top of coming down with a cold that has wiped him out. I decided to go ahead and start solo yesterday, 5x5 with the empty bar. 45# squat, 45# ohp, and 95# DL. All felt light. Did a few planks and crunch variations, then this morning I did a 12 min wod of:
    4 min. squat cleans with #10 dumbells (56)
    4 min. single jump ropes
    4 min. burpees (39)

Wont have a bench until Tuesday and tweaked my back last week using a coffee table as a makeshift bench, so going to go ahead and wait on that one :wink:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Got in a good workout yesterday.

Did a 5 min warmup on the bike.

Then did the following:
    1 herc hoist with 35 pounds
    2 sawhorse burpees (1 burpee, jump over a sawhorse, another burpee, then back over the sawhorse)
    5 wall balls with 16 pound ball
    Quick sprint to the end of the parking lot and back
    10 sledge hammer tire slams
    2 tire flips
    10 squats
    Then everything backwards
    0.5 mile run with 5 burpees at the mid point.

Did all of that 3 times, and then we did a few mins of ab work and stretching at the end.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Shred Week 4, Day 3
    I ended up taking a full rest day yesterday. I was completely exhausted and had so much to do I couldn't make it happen. The rest paid off though as I felt great this morning!

Front Squats : 125x5, 135x3, 145x3 (triple PR! and i think I had an extra rep in the tank), 115x10
    Pull-ups: ~65lbs assist x4, 5, 4 and ~50lbs assist x4 (I alternate pronated and supinated grip on these sets, hence the higher reps on even sets)

5 min AMRAP (5 rounds and 5 rows)
    - barbell rows 85x5
    - push-ups on DB x10/10/10/8/6

Not much improvement on these, I bumped up the weight 5lbs from 2 weeks ago, but was not in my usual setup and supinated grip is uncomfortable for me. The push-ups were more explosive than usual though.

5 min AMRAP (4 rounds and 3 lunges per side)
    - walking lunges x5/side @25lbs DB
    - KB Swings @24kg x10

I had to do what I call "maze" lunges because there was a class in the xfit area, so I was set-up in between a bunch of machines and it was hard to navigate. Will have to make it to the gym earlier on weekends from now on if I want space to workout in...

5 min AMRAP (4 rounds...)
    - Recline rows (on smith machine, bar around waist-high) x10
    - Bear crawls 10ft to and back x2

Hard to judge progress on this one since my set-up has had to change every single week.

For time:
    - lateral burpee x30 (finished @3:30, broke them down into mini-sets of 6)
    - sit-outs x30/side (got to 23 per side @ 6min, kept going and finished at 7min)
    - squat jump x30 (total time 8:02)

I tried to pace myself so as to not redline on the burpees. The sit-outs really killed me. Squat jumps hurt. But I'm glad I finished even if I was past the cap.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Yay for rest day and awesome work outs.

Cardio day for me so did C25k Week 1, Day 2.

Though decided these exercise capris are better for lifting than running cause I had to pull them up and they aren't even the super loose ones. Oh well. I have a pair of shorts that aren't good for squatting I will wear next time. It's pretty nice outside.

Now to get ready to go eat panda express as part of helping a fundraiser, then go to work.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a rest day but I did walk outside a lot. My kids wanted to go to the park and I am a huge jerk so I made them walk to the one that was a mile away o:)
    I wouldn't even bother to report, but my steps on my Vivofit were really up there.
    Hoping to get into the gym today.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    A little rushed this morning as my kid NEEDED a second breakfast before heading to the gym daycare :P

Squats - 5x5 at 110 lbs. Working back up, and I can feel that my form has really improved since my deload. I think I need flatter shoes though, as mine feel a little wobbly. I also feel like the bar could be a little more stable.

OHP - 7,7,6,6,5 at 50 lbs. I am going to wait until I can do 5x7 before moving back up.

DL - 1x5 at 145 lbs. Felt good but I have issues with slipping grip still. I think I might just need to remember to dry my hands before starting :P Remembering to brace before starting though, and remembering to lock out at the top (mostly).

No time for accessories today. I am going to see if I can find something to do inverted rows on at home...
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to just do 5x squats @ 155lbs today, but that seemed too boring so I did a squat pyramid instead.
    5x @‌ 155lbs
    4x @ 165
    3x @ 175
    4x @ 165
    5x @‌ 155lbs

Rest day tomorrow then Monday squat & bench only for 4 weeks. Let's hope Smolov works as planned and I can really increase my bench & squat working weights!