Help with calories

Options
2»

Replies

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    omg that's hillarious! It's like watching an educated "smart" person who has done real research not on wikipedia trying to argue with the common internet troll going "BUT BUT I'M RIGHT" oh thanks, I needed a laugh this morning! :laugh:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    punchgut wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Seems Fuhrman deleted Chris' responses in the Dietary Advice and Electrical Engineers post that Chris references, too.

You mean this comment thread?

http://web.archive.org/web/20080501213545/http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-electronic-engineers-and-dietary-advice.html

Thank you, my Google-fu was failing me earlier. And wow, it seems he deleted a lot of responses for that one. :open_mouth:
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Seems Fuhrman deleted Chris' responses in the Dietary Advice and Electrical Engineers post that Chris references, too.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080501213545/http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-electronic-engineers-and-dietary-advice.html

Thank you, my Google-fu was failing me earlier. And wow, it seems he deleted a lot of responses for that one. :open_mouth:

I'm always entertained by these old people that think they can just delete things from the internet and it will be gone.

This is always my reaction:

IP3DALV88Ll3G.gif
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

I'm always entertained by these old people that think they can just delete things from the internet and it will be gone.

This is always my reaction:

IP3DALV88Ll3G.gif

Haha, yes, indeed!

I found a spectacular gem from Masterjohn's post that I just had to share (emphasis mine):
    In fact I suspect that any success with low-fat diets such as you and Esselstyn and Ornish advocate comes from the reduction of polyunsaturated fat rather than saturated fat. Since the fat content is so low, lipids will be manufactured from carbohydrates or other substrates via the enzyme fatty acid synthase. The end product of this pathway is palmitate, a saturated fatty acid. The body cannot introduce double bonds between the omega-end and the omega-9 position, so only saturated and monounsaturated fats will be produced.

Is it bad that I just about cheered as I read this? This is exactly what always baffled me about the "(saturated) fat is bad!" crowd. Regardless of diet, about half of our fat stores are saturated (palmitate, of all types, which is supposedly one of the "worst" of the saturated fatty acids, according to these folks). What the hell do they think our bodies burn when losing weight?!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Oooh...and this is an important thing to note for this group (emphasis his):
    As it turns out, the number one most saturated fat on the world market -- coconut oil -- actaully lowers total and LDL cholesterol, raises HDL cholesterol, and powerfully prevents the oxidation of LDL *** IF AND ONLY IF *** it is virgin coconut oil. Apparently, the active constituents of the oil are polyphenols.

This is good to know -- the polyphenols are what help cholesterol, not the fatty acids, and the polyphenols are what get destroyed in the refining process.
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I've had this conversation a few times:

Person: fats are bad, don't you know dummy.

Me: If fats are bad, why does your body store all back up energy as fat?

Person: It's doing that do remove fat from the blood because it's bad.

Me: Then why does your body convert all excess carbohydrates to fat and store that fat?

Person: Ummm.

Me: In fact, carbohydrates are so bad that your system has to remove them from the blood serum as fast as possible, and if your glycogen stores aren't able to use it your body has to rid itself of the carbohydrate. To do this, your body converts it to fat and stores it for future use. The body has a whole system to ensure low blood glucose levels, insulin, but no such complementary system for blood fat levels.

Me: Biologically speaking, our bodies can only use so much protein and carbohydrate with the excess converted to fat for future use. So why would our bodies ever store it's future energy source in a form that is bad for it, and have no system to ensure minimal amounts or set levels throughout.

Person: FU

Internal monologue: Just lost that one at FU.

• Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I've had this conversation a few times:

Person: fats are bad, don't you know dummy.

Me: If fats are bad, why does your body store all back up energy as fat?

Person: It's doing that do remove fat from the blood because it's bad.

Me: Then why does your body convert all excess carbohydrates to fat and store that fat?

Me: In fact, carbohydrates are so bad that your system has to remove them from the blood serum as fast as possible, and if your glycogen stores aren't able to use it your body has to rid itself of the carbohydrate. To do this, your body converts it to fat and stores it for future use. The body has a whole system to ensure low blood glucose levels, insulin, but no such complementary system for blood fat levels.

Me: Biologically speaking, our bodies can only use so much protein and carbohydrate with the excess converted to fat for future use. So why would our bodies ever store it's future energy source in a form that is bad for it, and have no system to ensure minimal amounts or set levels throughout.

Person: FU

Internal monologue: Just lost that one at FU.

This is amazing. :#
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Just checked back on this thread and am so loving all the great info about fat...sometimes I want to shake people! It's always extra frustrating when I have to explain why I limit fruit (the key word is LIMIT not don't touch) but eat copious amounts of quality saturated fat...I think I'm just going to start linking people to the Real Food Liz site...
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    That used to be an issue for me until I realized that when I logged my food, I wasn't logging my cooking oils like coconut, olive, or macadamia nut oil. I have found that when I am running low on calories, I can make up a quick drink of full-fat coconut milk, 2 tbsp golden flaxseed meal, 2 tbsp hemp seed, and 1 cup of berries plus cinnamon or whatever. That usually does the trick! If I don't feel like going to the trouble, I'll just eat a couple big spoonfuls of almond butter and grapes or a banana.

• samharmony
    samharmony Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "I tried paleo for about 10 days a year or so ago. I broke my veganism for it basically and could not stomach eating that much meat. By the end of it just the thought of eating meat would make me gag and I couldn't keep eating. I don't know if it was because of being a vegan for so long or what. As such, I ended up not being able to eat enough calories. I was struggling to get 1400 calories a day and would eating a lot of almond meal pancakes and stuff just to get calories in. Who would have thought I'd have that issue HAHA! "

There is a new app called mypaleopal, instead of counting your calories your simply taking pics of your foods for the day. I'm still new to it so not ready to completely switch over, but it's still a good way to track and be accountable.

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    ascrit wrote: »
    Also now I try to avoid nut butter as I tend to overeat it.

I think I could seriously eat an entire jar of almond butter or cashew butter in one sitting. It is so good!!

*raises hand
    ...is there a Cashew Butter anonymous group in MFP? I think I'm gonna need it soon...

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    That app sounds cool except I'm not cool enough to have a smartphone :P I've been doing better, my taste for animal foods is really coming back and I'm not paleo yet but I'm working there. My stocks of foods are getting lower and I've been mostly gluten free. Won't lie, I'm sick as crap right now and I had a sandwich from a local place. Didn't even like it so I gave it to my husband, ugh.
    Kinda in a slump for breakfast though and all the paleo cookbook I've checked out have weird suggestions for breakfast like bacon wrapped in lettuce for example. I dunno about you guys but that doesn't seem mentally, emotionally, or physically filling. :lol:

Either way, you guys are freaking awesome, has anyone told you that lately! :wink:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    That app sounds cool except I'm not cool enough to have a smartphone :P I've been doing better, my taste for animal foods is really coming back and I'm not paleo yet but I'm working there. My stocks of foods are getting lower and I've been mostly gluten free. Won't lie, I'm sick as crap right now and I had a sandwich from a local place. Didn't even like it so I gave it to my husband, ugh.
    Kinda in a slump for breakfast though and all the paleo cookbook I've checked out have weird suggestions for breakfast like bacon wrapped in lettuce for example. I dunno about you guys but that doesn't seem mentally, emotionally, or physically filling. :lol:

Either way, you guys are freaking awesome, has anyone told you that lately! :wink:

I like frying up various meats (I've done bacon, sausage, and ham so far) in a skillet with some butter (or your choice of oil), then pouring scrambled eggs over them, making a sort of omelet scramble thing. If you do cheese, mix some cheese in it and add some to the top. It's really good, and filling.

I could see lettuce-wrapped bacon, but I'd likely add mayo and tomato, for a BLT. :D