Misc. Chat Thread - Feb. / March 2015

Options

Replies

• ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in a bit of a rut right now because I'm about 8kg overweight and getting married in August. So, cutting with keto. But it sucks because I also just want to get strong damn it! Did alright until I hit 2/3BW squats and now it is such a goddamn struggle every time. And there are people so much stronger than me AND my lower body is miles ahead of my upper body (OHP-ing the bar as of like a week ago).
    Just to add insult my weight loss (and measurements) also appears to have stalled, and my fiancee is miserable because learning to teach is hard.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Someone asked why I am sitting on a blanket at my desk and I said it helps cushion the seat more which feels good on my back. He asked if I hurt it and I said yes I did while squatting with bad form. He told me to do quarter squats because they're better for my knees... :expressionless:
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    tsk... Some people.

I spent most of today just feeling tired. Had a headache last night so didn't get much sleep at all. Then worked even though it had originally been a day off on the schedule. Boss had asked if I wanted more hours so I said sure, then coworker had a medical thing anyways so I was need around noon as it was freight day. I did a lot of work, putting away all of the stuff for my department. So, now I'm just blah and not sure I'll get any writing done cause my brain doesn't want to work much. I iced my left arm as it was bugging me by the time I left work. We'll see how it all feels tomorrow as I don't work for one day. Yay sleep.

ellieco - good luck. I know my upper body is also much weaker than the lower. Squats and such were easy to keep increasing or to work somewhat heavy at the higher rep ranges, but the bench and OHP, etc, not so much. Some days are better than others, just keep pushing.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    when i look at myself this past week, i keep getting struck by how much 'smaller' i look - as in, more compact in general. and then i get on the scale and it still says i'm 10 pounds 'overweight' at 135 :D but right now i really like how i look.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @MissHoliday -- I hope you gave him the exact look and finger gesture in your profile pic. Because that's what I pictured you doing.

@Canadian -- This is lovely to hear. :)

@Ellico -- You've got ~5 months to lose that 8 kg, which seems like it's very do-able. And many of us have a big discrepancy between upper and lower body strength. Plus, OHP is just a b!tch of a lift -- I've been trying to get to 5x5 with just the bar for *months.* I just tell myself that every workout helps, even if it is frustrating.
  • canadianlbs
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    That would be cumbersome to deal with.

working in can be fun, actually. i always refuse when someone else makes the offer to me, but that's because i'm twitchy about autonomy and feeling like a guest in some other guy's space. but i do often make the offer myself if i'm the one in the rack because i'm just public-spirited (and efficiency-minded) that way ;-)

i guess i regret it about half the time, and the level of my regret can be anywhere on the scale between 1 and maybe 8 - i'd classify last night's mess as about a 7. but the 50% of times when it works out, i like it. it's like all the fun of a nice little social interlude without the aggravation of having to actually converse about anything. like the two of you working together at every changeover to get the plates on for the person who's up. i guess i have a bit of a guy-culture streak. i like the non-verbal collaboration and syncing of signals and stuff. it's like a little window into that whole anthropological thing of the Ways Men Don't Need to Talk In Order To Socialize With Each Other, you know? if you get someone with an or a bit of a hierarchical-complex (another 'male' theme), it does take the fun out of it. but i enjoy the low-scale cameraderie of all the times when that doesn't happen.

mind you - in the words of the banana-eater who shares my office - 'this is canada. people are nice.'
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Still, passive-aggressive can be cumbersome even if you deal with it while smiling. :wink:

Though, I'd let anyone work in that wanted to for sure. Even if not in Canada, lots of nice people around, just no one has really asked and in a way I'm glad but more because it's rare I see anyone who wants the power cage that needs it at the same height as me. Changing weight every time is one thing but add moving the bar higher and lower between sets, eh, I don't mind waiting. Plenty of time and gym is open 24 hours. With coworker, I would leave it too high up so she wouldn't have to bend down super far to get the bar off the rack, which would require me going up on my toes to use it. After a few times and as I increased weights when I did them, we decided it was better to take turns overall and not in between every set.

Feeling a little better today now that I've had some sleep. Was just so exhausted yesterday after all the work. I was tired enough that even though they said I could have stayed a full shift, I declined and left after just under 7 hours (though I should have left at 6 but I had a few totes left and two rolls of film to process along with the occasional customer).

Have a bit of aches but not too bad. Some being the forearms is an odd experience, lol. Hoping to still lift later tonight after more rest and getting some errands done. Even wearing a skit today, which I rarely do cause 5-6 days or so I have to wear my work clothes (company shirt and black or khaki pants). This is one that used to be too small and I got it from my sister's closet when she'd moved. I would feel bad for commandeering a skirt but I found a few items of my own intermixed in her stuff she'd left behind, so think we're about equal on that front.

Now for some coffee.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    I'm not tech savvy so I'm accomplishing something I expected to be quite a challenge. I'm making my own playlist for the couch to 5k training. I'm working on week 2 right now and it does take some time. After playing with audacity for a bit, trying to figure out how to do it right so the one song fades out enough to hear the cues and the next song starts at the right time. Think I have it figured out enough to do what I want. Will be ready for tomorrow's day 2 of week 2. Yay!
  • ellieco
    ellieco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm loving having a gym buddy, I know the gym is not a social club and we're probably annoying to everyone else in the vicinity but it's nice to have someone cheer you on and have a bit of a chat while taking turns in the rack.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Gym buddies are nice. I will have to ask coworker if she wants to go work out again, though finding the equipment in her smaller gym will be interesting (hers lets her bring a buddy when she wants but is smaller than where I go).

I need to be less forgetful. The last month it seems I'm forgetting something a couple days a week. Sometimes it's my water or protein shake that I wanted to bring to work. Or my water that I did bring to work then left there. Other times it's my wallet, which I kind of needed last night to buy food with as I didn't have much available with decent protein. It's just something every few days. My body is starting to do lots of work and my mind is slacking. Need to wake up a bit, get more done and forget less things when I want/need them.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    off to deadlift workshop. don't wanna.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    sigh well. someone took a photograph during the deadlift workshop and posted it. guess who's in the foreground? and guess who now knows now why the scale says 135 pounds?

a little reality check isn't the worst thing in life, i suppose. and i did get to see my form in action since filming was allowed and encouraged. and whoa. no WONDER i have been fighting deadlifts so hard. i'm mortified and also feel extremely lucky not to be in multiple traction right now.

so the second reality check was the awfuller one, but also the much-better one.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    ^ I respectfully disagree. xo
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    heh. the picture was taken long after i'd seen my original heinous form and made a real effort to get it cleaned up. it really was awful, but in a strange way that makes me feel hopeful. because if my form was awful there are things i can probably expect will get better once i start to de-awful it.

just embarrassing and a bit sobering, how easily form creeps on you.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Still not much here. I have been working 6 or 7 days a week. Work is a bit odd because the work week is thursday-wednesday, and pay day is on thursday every other week. So, for this week my one day off was thursday (as in this last thursday). Next week, my one day off is friday (coming up in a few days). I usually work photo but this week I have 3 cashier days, which is kinda blech. I'll be having 2 a week in the future but prefer just 1 a week, or whatever is as little as possible while still getting enough hours.

Grandparents are asking if I can go to a tulip festival in Washington in April. Will have to check work and see. I don't see them often as they live in Utah. But we never have enough people so it's not easy taking time off because I actually work quite a lot even if I don't make enough money yet. Working on moving up but it's a very slow process.

@DawnEmbers - Are you in Washington? I am about 30 min north of Seattle. I went to the tulip festival last year with my mom and 2 kiddos and was thinking of going again this year.

• symba1130
    Options
    symba1130 wrote: »
    Still not much here. I have been working 6 or 7 days a week. Work is a bit odd because the work week is thursday-wednesday, and pay day is on thursday every other week. So, for this week my one day off was thursday (as in this last thursday). Next week, my one day off is friday (coming up in a few days). I usually work photo but this week I have 3 cashier days, which is kinda blech. I'll be having 2 a week in the future but prefer just 1 a week, or whatever is as little as possible while still getting enough hours.

Grandparents are asking if I can go to a tulip festival in Washington in April. Will have to check work and see. I don't see them often as they live in Utah. But we never have enough people so it's not easy taking time off because I actually work quite a lot even if I don't make enough money yet. Working on moving up but it's a very slow process.

@DawnEmbers - Are you in Washington? I am about 30 min north of Seattle. I went to the tulip festival last year with my mom and 2 kiddos and was thinking of going again this year.

Nevermind...im slow this morning. I think I already read you are in OR. So...Hi neighbor!

• symba1130
    Options
    Husband and I had a wonderful date night Saturday! I ate fried cheese and lots of wine. I almost indulged in dessert, but knew I could find something at home instead so I settled on a mint Frango still lingering from Christmas and it did the trick.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    hehe.. Indeed it is Oregon. Hi!

Grandparents had to buy a plane ticket from Seattle to Portland so I can return in time for work since I can't take off the whole time they will be there. But I'll still see them for 3 days, which will be a fun time. And after working 6-7 days a week lately (mostly 6), I could use 3 days off.

oo fried cheese... *envies*
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    My apologies in advance.

I am definitely hanging out in the Doldrums these days. So much work to do for school that I'm feeling rather paralyzed. I don't want to write. I don't want to do more research. I don't want to think. I just want this damn thesis to be done. I am having trouble concentrating and my productivity level is low low low. Of course, my stress level is through the roof. Yet all I want to do is crawl into bed and ignore my life, as if all of this will magically take care of itself. One part of me says "You'll get it done. You always do!" and another part of me is legitimately terrified that it's not going to happen.

Just needed to vent. Thanks.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @crabada‌ thats how I am with every major written project I have ever done, granted I've never attempted something on scale with a thesis. Good luck! And it will all be over soon.