Inositol

laols01
laols01 Posts: 57 Member
Hi Ladies,

Thanks so much for such an awesome forum. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in having IR PCOS and I've learned so much reading others' questions and answers. I've been doing some reading on myo-inositol and d-inositol. I guess I'm confused as to what the difference is and which is better for IR PCOS? Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
«13

Replies

  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,614 Member
    They're two different forms of the same nutrient. It's kind of like EPA vs ALA Omega-3. Same nutrient, just different form.

    Myo is cheaper and easier to get a hold of, but requires a little more for full effect, while D-chiro (DCI) is harder to find and more expensive, but requires less. However, they're complementary -- if you can get both, then you can use less of each and the effect is generally more dramatic. The hard part, though, is getting your hands on DCI without spending an arm and a leg. Generally, even with the higher dosage requirement, Myo by itself is good enough and cheaper than the Myo+DCI combo.

    This is the one I buy -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013OUKPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I do 4tsp, but that's for the higher neurological benefit. 1-2tsp is sufficient for just PCOS, usually.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    This is the brand I use for DCI.

    http://www.lornavanderhaeghe.ca/products/Glucosmart-for-Diabetic-Support.asp

    In Canada I'm paying 40 dollars for 30 pills so certainly not cheap. However I can't get the 15 dollar myo-powder in Canada either. Cheapest I can get for that same size is 40 dollars.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,262 Member
    A_Dabauer wrote: »
    This is the brand I use for DCI.

    http://www.lornavanderhaeghe.ca/products/Glucosmart-for-Diabetic-Support.asp

    In Canada I'm paying 40 dollars for 30 pills so certainly not cheap. However I can't get the 15 dollar myo-powder in Canada either. Cheapest I can get for that same size is 40 dollars.

    Amazon doesnt ship to canada? Here i thought Amazon was all about world domination! I am disappointed :'(
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Each country has its own Amazon. Amazon.ca Amazon.au Amazon.uk We're spoiled here because we are the original... LOL Some things can be purchased in multiple places...some cannot. Generally has to do with regulations and restrictions.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Yep Amazon.Ca here I can get that brand but not for 15 dollars :neutral_face:
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    I'm on day 5 of implementing myo-inositol into my daily regimen and I'm feeling SO much better. I have more energy, less sugar cravings, and generally feel more "with it." So glad I looked into this group. Thanks for the advice and support ladies!
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    oh! I should add that I'm doing the pill form (Jarrow brand), 3 pills for a total of 225mg. I'll be switching to the powder form after this bottle is out solely for cost purposes.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,262 Member
    Nice to hear laols! Glad things are working for you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    I've got the Jarrow powder now (was taking the pills from Rugby brand (4-500 mg pills), and just started the powder last night, 1 tsp - roughly 2.4 grams... I'm hoping to see an impact soon, but not expect as big of one since I'm already doing a lot to manage my conditions/issues.

    (Originally, I was only taking one pill a day, then several days ago, I ramped up to two pills, then four, jumped up to six, then back down to make the pills last, four pills at night the last 2-3 days before switching to the powder last night.)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Can't find it anywhere, but given it's natural sweet flavor, what is the nutritional impact?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,614 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Can't find it anywhere, but given it's natural sweet flavor, what is the nutritional impact?

    None as far as I can find. It just happens to have a sweet taste.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,262 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Can't find it anywhere, but given it's natural sweet flavor, what is the nutritional impact?

    None as far as I can find. It just happens to have a sweet taste.

    That's what ive found too. Ive found some /r/ groups who count something they made up because the wiki page on it says it is about 1/2 as sweet as sugar, but there is NO calorie or carb info on it at all. It seems to be a neutral vitamin powder that just happens to be sweet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    WARNING: For anyone one birth control, currently trying NOT to conceive, Inositol in higher doses is BAD BAD BAD. I had to drop my dose back down and I'm currently flipping my lid. It might have "broken" my birth control pills so to speak. My body is trying to fix my medically restricted non-ovulation with this. I wanted to use the inositol to help with other PCOS symptoms, but I'm having to drop back down to a 500 mg dose...I hope I don't have to drop it altogether. I know most of you aren't in this genre, so to speak, but I wanted to share what I've learned in the past month. Hoping to find some research on this somewhere because it was nowhere online.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,262 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    WARNING: For anyone one birth control, currently trying NOT to conceive, Inositol in higher doses is BAD BAD BAD. I had to drop my dose back down and I'm currently flipping my lid. It might have "broken" my birth control pills so to speak. My body is trying to fix my medically restricted non-ovulation with this. I wanted to use the inositol to help with other PCOS symptoms, but I'm having to drop back down to a 500 mg dose...I hope I don't have to drop it altogether. I know most of you aren't in this genre, so to speak, but I wanted to share what I've learned in the past month. Hoping to find some research on this somewhere because it was nowhere online.

    This is good information! I am not able to take any birth control but not worried about getting pregnant but if you are actively trying NOT to get pregnant then knowing the risks with Inositol is good.

    How did you find out it broke your BCP? I know you were spotting earlier. Did you start? or did you ovulate?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Alliwan wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    WARNING: For anyone one birth control, currently trying NOT to conceive, Inositol in higher doses is BAD BAD BAD. I had to drop my dose back down and I'm currently flipping my lid. It might have "broken" my birth control pills so to speak. My body is trying to fix my medically restricted non-ovulation with this. I wanted to use the inositol to help with other PCOS symptoms, but I'm having to drop back down to a 500 mg dose...I hope I don't have to drop it altogether. I know most of you aren't in this genre, so to speak, but I wanted to share what I've learned in the past month. Hoping to find some research on this somewhere because it was nowhere online.

    This is good information! I am not able to take any birth control but not worried about getting pregnant but if you are actively trying NOT to get pregnant then knowing the risks with Inositol is good.

    How did you find out it broke your BCP? I know you were spotting earlier. Did you start? or did you ovulate?

    Since changing to this dosage, all of my breakthrough bleeding had stopped completely. Even with stress. So yesterday, I was attempting to research inositol to see if there were any carbs in it. Found a TON of studies about how it restores ovulation as its primary function for treating PCOS. I haven't "felt" my ovulation since I stopped forming cysts on my ovaries that ruptured each cycle during ovulation or the emulation therein, so I don't know if I'm ovulating, but I sure as heck don't want to be doing so.

    Put 2 + 2 together and got 4. I only started spotting when I upped the Inositol. I went from 500 mg, to 1000 mg, to 2000 mg for a few days. Spotting (and PMS symptoms) started between 1000 mg-2000 mg. Dropped back down to 1000 mg, spotting stopped. Took roughly 2400 mg with my first powder dose. Spotting started again roughly 12-16 hours later. Took 500 mg last night (pill, not powder), still spotting. May have to stop it altogether for a week to let my body fully reset.

    I wanted the insulin optimization effects, but even those seem questionable at best without additional supplementation. I've adapted much easier into full keto after dropping the metformin so I can consume dairy as I prefer. I think I'm going to keep at this way until my revisit to my endo in April, let him test and see if Met is still indicated.

    I didn't find any actual research, but my own experience with my body on birth control at this age let me to hypothesize that the inositol was trying to "fix" what my birth control was giving me as preferred effects. I could be completely wrong, but really, nothing else at all had changed, so very doubtful.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    My blood sugar/insulin levels are fine (or so says my doc when I went in a month ago to get it checked). Do you ladies think that Insolitol is something I should start using, or is it really only for folks with insulin issues?
    And then if "yes, I should try it", then I'll probably have a follow-up 300 questions. Hehe.
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    My blood sugar/insulin levels are fine (or so says my doc when I went in a month ago to get it checked). Do you ladies think that Insolitol is something I should start using, or is it really only for folks with insulin issues?
    And then if "yes, I should try it", then I'll probably have a follow-up 300 questions. Hehe.

    Hey there. My insulin resistance is mild-moderate and I started the inositol to help with hormone regulation/ovulation/sugar cravings/facial hair. While I'm not trying to get pregnant, I do want to be able to have normal cycles...to do this, I need to ovulate of course. My initial "research" showed that all of these things could be achieved by introducing inositol. After calling my gyno, he seemed supportive of the addition to my Metformin XR. I feel a lot better and am on a pretty moderate dose (3 75mg pills=225mg total) in the morning. I feel much more "alert" and seem to have lowered sugar cravings. I'd recommend talking with your doctor before adding it to anything, but I think it was a great addition for me. I didn't realize how much my PCOS was affecting my daily life until I started to cater my eating/supplements to help it.
  • PattieCakes25
    PattieCakes25 Posts: 30 Member
    This was just the thread I was looking for. I've been redoing my meal plan to fit more into low carb/Paleo and Ive been looking for supplements.

    I do have a question about Inositol:
    When my Dr. told me I had PCOS last year, she also said she didnt want to put me on Metformin because my liver enzymes were too high. Do you know if I start using Inositol will it be the same as if I used Met and not be useful because of Live Enzymes.
    Honestly, I don't even know what causes liver enzymes to fluctuate. haha
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    having a fatty liver will escalate your liver enzymes. I don't know what else. but I also hadn't been warned about metformin and liver conflicts. So dunno there. You can research inositol and liver studies online. I read something yesterday but read so much I can't remember what it was.

    In my personal experience, going some form of LowCarbHighFatModerateProtein and/or keto (which can line up with Paleo when leaving out sweeteners and such), will cut liver and visceral fat first. There's a great thread about it in one of the other groups I'm on. I think it is the first but could be the second.

    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

    Good luck!
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    @A_Dabauer I'm in Canada too and got mine from swansonvitamins.com, very inexpensive there.