Vinegar and Insulin Resistance

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    But what does this do to the enamel on your teeth if you take it regularly? I would think it erodes your tooth enamel. Wouldn't drinking it from a straw still affect the tender tissues of your throat and mouth? Not trying to be difficult, but I don't want to create new health problems.. lol
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    This discussion intrigues me. I never was a "oil & vinegar" salad eater. So if I want to make up a lettuce salad with Oil & Vinegar...

I could use, "Bragg apple cider vinegar" (if I can find it) & what kind of oil? Light tasting Olive oil, coconut, etc?

And what ratio of oil and vinegar?

Thank you for any consideration you may give me,

Dan the Man from Michigan

I use an old multipurpose squeeze bottle and do half olive oil and half balsamic. Just shake real good and squirt. I'm not great at measurements but this ratio tastes good to me.
  • kristyneberg
    Options
    But what does this do to the enamel on your teeth if you take it regularly? I would think it erodes your tooth enamel. Wouldn't drinking it from a straw still affect the tender tissues of your throat and mouth? Not trying to be difficult, but I don't want to create new health problems.. lol

Good point. I think that if you take it right before your meal you would get the benefit of lowered BS & insulin without leaving the acetic acid on your teeth to erode enamel.

I take hot honey & lemon water first thing in the morning, then brush my teeth, then have coffee or tea. That way the lemon doesn't erode my tooth enamel. I have heard about people seeing that erosion if they drink lemon water and don't rinse their mouth afterward. Probably the same for vinegar.

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to try this. Ever little bit helps.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I found Bragg's online. They limit the vinegar to two 16oz bottles. To get it shipped to Michigan, it's $15! Not gonna pay that much. Does anyone know if I can buy it at a store? Trader Joes? GNC? Whole Foods???

I do like the idea that's it has probiotics and other good stuff, but I need it to be cheeper that that.

I will go buy some Balsalmic in the mean time. Thank you MeBeep!

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Bits and pieces about vinegar

I think balsamic vinegar is carbier than other vinegar. Ofc, I used to like it better on salads. I often put a tbs of acv on avocados with pepper and salt as a snack. Vinegar is often used to cut through heavy dishes, giving them a more balanced taste.

I wonder if although all the white rice the japanese eat as sushi, the effect is lower because some of it is resistant starch and sushi rice is seasoned with both sugar and plenty of vinegar. Plus the ginger is pickled as well.

Yes, I think the ACV Fung recommends is the unrefined with the Mother.

Totally off topic of food: If you have workout clothes that "stink", wash them with some 7% table vinegar. It removes funky anaerobic, keto-ish workout smells.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options

The straw as well as rinsing your mouth helps with the tooth enamel. I dilute with quite a bit of water (1.5 tablespoons of ACV per 8 oz. water) so the final product is quite a bit lower percentage of acidity than the ACV straight, so I personally am not concerned about affect on any other mouth/throat tissues.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I found Bragg's online. They limit the vinegar to two 16oz bottles. To get it shipped to Michigan, it's $15! Not gonna pay that much. Does anyone know if I can buy it at a store? Trader Joes? GNC? Whole Foods???

I do like the idea that's it has probiotics and other good stuff, but I need it to be cheeper that that.

We buy the unfiltered or with 'The Mother' from walmart, tractor supply, Big R, the Amish Market, kroger, Whole Foods, etc. You can find it most anywhere.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

You can get Bragg's at most grocery stores, including WalMart.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options

I can find the Bragg in the health food section of my local grocery store. I buy a gallon at a time, it is shelf-stable for years. Any natural food co-op or Whole Foods type place should have it or a similar product as well. There are other brands that are raw ACV with the mother. Doesn't have to be Bragg specifically.

Other brands:
    • Spectrum Naturals Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Unfiltered
    • Heinz Unfiltered All Natural Apple Cider Vinegar
    • Eden Foods Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
    • Trader Joe's Organic Pasteurized Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar (from Trader Joe's obviously, but you can also buy on Amazon)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    The usual ratio for oil and vinegar dressing is 2 parts oil, 1 part vinegar. If you're not used to vinegar, start slowly and add to taste so you don't ruin your salad.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I forgot the ACV today but when I do buy it I'll spend about $4 on a big jug of it at Walmart. We use it for cats and chickens, not to mention cleaning.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This discussion intrigues me. I never was a "oil & vinegar" salad eater. So if I want to make up a lettuce salad with Oil & Vinegar...

I could use, "Bragg apple cider vinegar" (if I can find it) & what kind of oil? Light tasting Olive oil, coconut, etc?

And what ratio of oil and vinegar?

Thank you for any consideration you may give me,

I am an oil & vinegar guy. My standard lunch is my salad plus a leftover portion of last night's dinner protein. Lettuce is just a base to separate the plate from the meal. I have a standard plan of mini sweet peppers, olives, radish, cuke, grape tomatoes, a few rings of banana pepper which goes together in minutes. That part totals about 5 carbs. Carb count goes up if I add avocado or ground flax seed. Add a generous shake of the spice blend of the day. Top with chicken, beef, salmon, whatever. Mix and pour on 1 TBL olive oil and 1 TBL vinegar. Mix again.

I like flavor. I usually use a full flavor olive oil not a light one. I usually use red wine vinegar. I measure the oil but not the vinegar. First a splash of vinegar to rinse the oil from the measuring spoon then splash on the salad to taste. I don't lick the plate but I usually use a spoon to scoop up any remaining dressing on the plate.

The best commercial vinegar to me is a Cora product labeled Wine Vinegar Aged 8 Years, imported from Italy by a company in Utica, NY. It's pricey so it's a treat not an every day thing. The best vinegar I've ever had is homemade by a man who is one of the old generation owners of the above mentioned company. He has a demijon with a vinegar culture he has maintained for 30 years. When he takes a bottle of vinegar out he puts a bottle of wine in. That is "lick the plate" good.

For the past half dozen years he has been my son's wine making mentor. I now have a gallon jug of his vinegar in my basement complete with maker. My son doesn't want to set up production in his house for fear of contaminating his wine. It's waiting for him to decide he can spare 5 gallons of wine in order to set up vinegar production here, probably next season. At that time I will be in vinegar heaven.

• yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also love salads "dressed" with oil and vinegar. My favorite is a good aged balsamic, but there are others!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU! Wheatless, Misti, Alliwan, FoamRoller

My dad used oil & vinegar for his whole life and he was old school (ate fat) and he lived to 93. I just never picked it up from him, I ate the sugary salad dressings. Lately, I have been eating Ranch, but it has MSG and other things in it that I don't like. So, I will go to Walmart/Kroger and get the Bragg's Vinegar. Mix it with my light tasting olive oil at 2:1.

I love vinegar, so this should be very good.

Thanks again.

My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
    Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The usual ratio for oil and vinegar dressing is 2 parts oil, 1 part vinegar. If you're not used to vinegar, start slowly and add to taste so you don't ruin your salad.

This sounds great to me. When I do it, I find I need WAY less vinegar than oil but as someone mentioned earlier with their 1:1 ratio... it's personal. Just start easy and find what you like. I don't make a "dressing" per say. Just pour them on seperately.

As for the ACV this is a great post 'cause I totally forgot about it.

I used to add maybe a TBSP to a glass of warm water in the morning. It tasted (sort of) like cider without the sugar. Since I've been off sugar so long, that's not really a problem to me. I also LOVE kombucha and it is similar to that especially if you start your kombucha with ACV so...

OHHH and I LOVE ACV or balsamic on my spinach with my eggs! (Thanks to Tim Ferris a la 4hr body for that one)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

I think balsamic vinegar is carbier than other vinegar. Ofc, I used to like it better on salads. I often put a tbs of acv on avocados with pepper and salt as a snack. Vinegar is often used to cut through heavy dishes, giving them a more balanced taste.

I wonder if although all the white rice the japanese eat as sushi, the effect is lower because some of it is resistant starch and sushi rice is seasoned with both sugar and plenty of vinegar. Plus the ginger is pickled as well.

Totally off topic of food: If you have workout clothes that "stink", wash them with some 7% table vinegar. It removes funky anaerobic, keto-ish workout smells.

We use white vinegar on our kids funky as hell hockey/lacrosse gear, and on anything that may get peed on by cats (kids' apparently can't learn not to leave their bloody coats on the floor of the laundry room, where the litter is). Works very well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

We use white vinegar on our kids funky as hell hockey/lacrosse gear, and on anything that may get peed on by cats (kids' apparently can't learn not to leave their bloody coats on the floor of the laundry room, where the litter is). Works very well.

I just use the filtered ACV as fabric softener (in the washer's dispenser). Doubles as a way to get odors and stuff out.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I just use the filtered ACV as fabric softener (in the washer's dispenser). Doubles as a way to get odors and stuff out.

I do that, too, since I discovered that commercial fabric softeners are so toxic. And to anyone worried about vinegary clothes, you can't smell anything when they're dried. You can google all about it to research it for yourself. Tons of info.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Options
    But I use regular white vinegar in the laundry b/c it's cheaper.
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have been using vinegar (apple cider) 1 tablespoon whenever I can remember to take it. I can't find the info now but it helped with my acid reflux (another counter intuitive thing) and it help the enzymes for fat metabolism.