The Gym Rat thread

Options

Replies

• RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I struggled a lot on the last rep, but I was able to squat 85lbs (1x5) yesterday! A couple weeks ago I couldn't even do 3 reps at 60lbs. It's really encouraging, being able to see improvement and progress like that.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    I swear I posted in this thread last week but it's not here.
    Anyway, since shoulder surgery in December I have been doing a machine based leg routine. Recently got cleared to do Safety Bar Squats.
    https://youtu.be/i3IC--JaJEI

That guy in the background doing behind the neck presses just made my shoulder hurt terrible.

Good job on yours though. Don't ask that guy for advice.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love these threads, been away for a while, so.. Latest Vid i have was last set of 5x5 at 170KG\374Lbs:

https://youtu.be/eI92_zhYFAE

And this one is a nice Lesson - Sometimes in life you have to fail. (220KG\485Lbs)

https://youtu.be/eTyjOvFZi48

I've since hit that weight twice - Once in the gym, and once on the platform
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bravo Carl...

Anyone have any OHP vids? I need some form tips. I have tried 2. And i am STUCK at 130.

SIGH
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    CarlKRobbo wrote: »
    I love these threads, been away for a while, so.. Latest Vid i have was last set of 5x5 at 170KG\374Lbs:
    Damn CKR! You made that look too easy. Great work, thanks for sharing.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

https://youtu.be/eI92_zhYFAE

And this one is a nice Lesson - Sometimes in life you have to fail. (220KG\485Lbs)

https://youtu.be/eTyjOvFZi48

I've since hit that weight twice - Once in the gym, and once on the platform

That feeling when you watch a video of someone doing 5x5 with your 1RM.

:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ...And making it look easy...

damn.gif
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    first ever 5 plate deadlift this morning.

220kg @ 82kg bodyweight.

Jos%C3%A9-Mourinho-Slides-on-field-after-goal.gif
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »

220kg @ 82kg bodyweight.

Congrats!!

I'm a ways away from that yet but hopefully by end of year.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I could be considered a "gym rat" quite yet-- maybe, "gym mouse" would be more appropriate? But I'm proud nonetheless!

I just began Stronglifts 5x5 after not doing a whole lot of weight lifting (at all, really) since High School. Started out my squats at 60, but I managed 5x5 at 100 pounds the other day, which was a huge deal for me!

Give it a few more months and I'll be back with more impressive numbers, but I thought I'll get my little toot-toot of my own horn for a moment :P
  • kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    @NekoneMeowMixx‌ that is awesome. I'm a newbie and just proud of failing on a bench press and asking for a spot to get one last rep. :) Only 50 pounds, but it's a start!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

220kg @ 82kg bodyweight.

Impressive. Working on this myself.

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I WILL take a video of another Lift, I promise... but today, i did squats: 2 x 215KG\473Lbs...... I'm WILL hit that 500LB mark this comp...

https://youtu.be/f2ktR6woO3I
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,647 Member
    Options
    Today was heavy-bench day, so I figured I'd start at 225 (82% 1RM) for a set of 4 and work my weight up / reps down until I hit 255 (92.5%) for a single. It went up so quickly, I wanted to do one more set, but wasn't ready to try for at or near PR today, not after four heavy sets. Instead I dropped back to 225 for burnout reps with a spotter.

I still remember when I began lifting, dreaming about lifting 225 a single time, and the rush I got when I reached that mark.

Today I benched 225 for ten reps on my fifth heavy (225+) set of the day.

I may need to reevaluate my starting point on heavy bench day, lol. I'll wait a few more weeks before gunning for a new PR, but I can smell that 285!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,647 Member
    Options
    I WILL take a video of another Lift, I promise... but today, i did squats: 2 x 215KG\473Lbs...... I'm WILL hit that 500LB mark this comp...

I'll be rooting for you big guy! My best is 475, I want to hit 500 by end of year myself.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Brouse does some crazy *kitten*.

Matt, Stienborn vid please? :)

Yes, Steinborn vid please! I was just reading about those today. We don't have a squat rack at my gym.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Great to see some ladies out here! Don't get me wrong, you guys are awesome!!! On my 3rd week of SL 5x5 and running out my weights today on my Dumbbells. 65# squat, 35# ohp and 65# DL. Time for a bar and plates!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Great to see some ladies out here! Don't get me wrong, you guys are awesome!!! On my 3rd week of SL 5x5 and running out my weights today on my Dumbbells. 65# squat, 35# ohp and 65# DL. Time for a bar and plates!

Sweet! I was so happy when I saw another woman in the weight room. Until I realized she was trying to figure out how to work the tanning machine. :ohwell: In the 6 months I've been at this gym, there's only been one other woman in there. Once. I caught 2 guys watching me load plates on the bar one night. I guess it's that rare of an occurrence.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you lift at home?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

220kg @ 82kg bodyweight.

e66ppf7d4iv8.gif