The Gym Rat thread

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    My back hurts just looking at that initial back arch...

My back hurts doing it sometimes lol. Although yesterday it did not - depends how loose my back is that day. It is challenging keeping it tight the whole set sometimes, especially on hyper. That being said, the lower arch looks more extreme as my azz is so big :p

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    MattBrouse wrote: »
    Do any of you mother *kitten* even lift?
    http://youtu.be/HJscKGDnPS8

giphy.gif

That's about all I can say about that.

All I can say is...Holy.....shart. I was holding my breath through that whole thing.

Thanks for posting that!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Yes Sara at home! Just works out better for me as I homeschool my kids. Thanks for your inspiring story btw! It was a big motivator for me to start heavy lifting. And thanks to the info in stickies in this group I've finally been steadily losing 1#/wk. So thank you to you and sidesteel!!!

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Are you planning on doing barbell squats? They are a bit problematic without a cage/rack (both from just getting the bar on your back and for safety reasons).

Yes! I am looking now and am wondering about this cool 1/2 rack I saw at Dicks or a cage. If I get the bar before I get the rack/cage I'll either have my son spot me for squats or start split squats. Thanks for asking and making me think ahead!

That is a nice half-cage if I saw the same one, longer safety catches that are adjustable too, and whole thing could be used for bench and incline bench if desired?
    I liked that it had a small foot print, and appears it would work with 6 ft oly bar I have at home, if my home-built wooden one ever has issues.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346

Though I guess this isn't so big either.

http://www.titandistributorsinc.com/default/titan-crossfit-power-rack.html

SS or Sarah, - please delete this sidetrack if desired, no problemo.

My apologies in advance for not knowing how to trim this quoted thread!!!
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Ummm not sure where the rest of that post went...but thanks hey bales for your input. Footprint was attractive to me and the posts for plates and the pull-up handles. Full cage doesn't have that... Any other opinions out there?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Ummm not sure where the rest of that post went...but thanks hey bales for your input. Footprint was attractive to me and the posts for plates and the pull-up handles. Full cage doesn't have that... Any other opinions out there?

My personal favorite is Rogue, they have full racks, half racks and squat stands (which include safety bars). Got a variety of options. Very modular too (lots of accessories). $$$$$
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Yes Sara at home! Just works out better for me as I homeschool my kids. Thanks for your inspiring story btw! It was a big motivator for me to start heavy lifting. And thanks to the info in stickies in this group I've finally been steadily losing 1#/wk. So thank you to you and sidesteel!!!

Thank you :flowerforyou:

Are you planning on doing barbell squats? They are a bit problematic without a cage/rack (both from just getting the bar on your back and for safety reasons).

Yes! I am looking now and am wondering about this cool 1/2 rack I saw at Dicks or a cage. If I get the bar before I get the rack/cage I'll either have my son spot me for squats or start split squats. Thanks for asking and making me think ahead!

That is a nice half-cage if I saw the same one, longer safety catches that are adjustable too, and whole thing could be used for bench and incline bench if desired?
    I liked that it had a small foot print, and appears it would work with 6 ft oly bar I have at home, if my home-built wooden one ever has issues.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346

Though I guess this isn't so big either.

http://www.titandistributorsinc.com/default/titan-crossfit-power-rack.html

SS or Sarah, - please delete this sidetrack if desired, no problemo.

My apologies in advance for not knowing how to trim this quoted thread!!!

The second one is similar to mine...big difference is...mine did not have crossfit in the name otherwise I could not have bought it :wink:

If you have the room, get the full cage.

Another option is a sumo squat rack - especially for low ceilings.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/TDS-C-92565-SPL-Sumo-Rack-Special/dp/B004TMMA26

Then again, if you have the room, I would get a full cage.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will take some measurements and see. Full rack wouldn't cost any more than the 1/2 but then I will need to get something to hold plates I guess. Still need to pitch this whole thing to the hubbie.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I will take some measurements and see. Full rack wouldn't cost any more than the 1/2 but then I will need to get something to hold plates I guess. Still need to pitch this whole thing to the hubbie.

FWIW, on-rack plate storage is highly overrated. Just get a weight tree. It will take up less square footage than the extra bulk of on-rack storage too.
  • indianarose2
    Options
    Thank you!! I was wondering about that!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Today was heavy-bench day, but rather than work up to singles at 90% of 1RM I did five sets of five at 225, which is roughly 80% of 1RM but was a good, solid number which did almost as much for me psychologically as it did physically.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    As I am pretty much sidelined from heavy squats and deads at the moment due to my knee issue I am trying to take solace in getting better at my worse lift - bench. I feel it is so far behind my other 2 main lifts. Anyhoo, I did manage to get a PR at the weekend with paused bench of 120lb x 9 (followed by 120lb x 8,8,7,7). The pause is a bit abbreviated at the beginning, which I realized partway through so made it a bit longer - but its not the most comfortable position to be in for over a minute and you kind of want to get it over with lol.

It's not that exciting but I thought I would throw a vid in for some female representation =). Hopefully I can get back at it with squats and deads not too soon and post lifts that are a bit more 'up there'

thanks for posting, I love this thread. I lift at home and these vids are a great learning tool. thanks all. Hopefully, someday I can post some nice lifts too.
  • timg760
    timg760 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    3 plate squat today, 1x3. Yeehah. (1st evah)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    timg760 wrote: »

Nice!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Every time you add a plate it's a memorable event!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    timg760 wrote: »

BOOM.
  • timg760
    Options
    Couldn't have done it without you lot ;)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Another squat PR yesterday hitting a new 1rm and new 2rm. Previous best was the week prior where I hit 420x3. Yesterday I managed 425x2. First rep went with good speed, second rep was a grind, almost came to a dead stop but I pushed through.

Unfortunately the minor ache in my back turned into all out pain by the time I completed my session. There was no pain DURING the actual lifts but seconds after on both squat and deads I could feel it.

Also hit 265x2 on bench which is not a PR, but the bar went fast and my butt stayed down and I paused and all of these things made me quite happy. Bench is finally moving along again.
  • timg760
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Another squat PR yesterday hitting a new 1rm and new 2rm. Previous best was the week prior where I hit 420x3. Yesterday I managed 425x2. First rep went with good speed, second rep was a grind, almost came to a dead stop but I pushed through.

Unfortunately the minor ache in my back turned into all out pain by the time I completed my session. There was no pain DURING the actual lifts but seconds after on both squat and deads I could feel it.

Also hit 265x2 on bench which is not a PR, but the bar went fast and my butt stayed down and I paused and all of these things made me quite happy. Bench is finally moving along again.
    WOW. I crumbled yesterday on the fifth of 315x5. Fortunately I took a rest, reset everything, and pumped it out. Can't even imagine 400+.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I've finally gotten back to barbell lifting in my home gym after shoulder surgery in Dec and only being able to do a machine based leg routine and minimal shoulder rehab exercise. Slowly trying to get back to where I was a year ago when my shoulder started acting up. Still can't do low bar squat, trying to get comfortable with high bar and heavier safety bar. OHP with just the bar is ugly, Bench and Row feel good but very light still.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Sara, That Bench Arch is insane. I can't arch at all!!

My First attempt at video editing... I compete next weekend, so these are planned openers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhTJra4CWLY