Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    S
    Has anyone had the Baskin Robbins pralines and cream? I've never seen that brand in stores before but they had a bunch of it at Winn Dixie.

One of my favorites.
    Eta. I keep it safely tucked away with the Talenti.cheh7g90au3p.jpg

That's good to know. :laugh:
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had the Baskin Robbins pralines and cream? I've never seen that brand in stores before but they had a bunch of it at Winn Dixie.

I'm with my best friend right now and she works at DD/Baskin Robbins. She says it's "pretty good," and she's also an ice cream snob. She says the caramel ribbon is great and the pralines are good. Very sweet, so she says. The version she would've had is the big *kitten* vat at the actual store.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I'm with my best friend right now and she works at DD/Baskin Robbins. She says it's "pretty good," and she's also an ice cream snob. She says the caramel ribbon is great and the pralines are good. Very sweet, so she says. The version she would've had is the big *kitten* vat at the actual store.

Cool, thanks. It used to be that nothing was too sweet for me but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. It's still rare for me to find something that I can't tolerate-- HD salted caramel gelato was one.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Cool, thanks. It used to be that nothing was too sweet for me but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. It's still rare for me to find something that I can't tolerate-- HD salted caramel gelato was one.

Luckily I haven't hit that wall yet. I was never really a caramel person until recently when I decided I like chocolate LESS than caramel, but I love when the flavors are intertwined. I never spring for a plain chocolate flavor. I'd rather have vanilla with chocolate in it or...smothered by it. The caramel apple pie Talenti I finished off yesterday was a good level of sweetness, for me at least.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only things I find too sweet are Cadbury creme eggs and pretty much anything sweetened with splenda.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    The big cadbury eggs are right on the line for me. I can do one and then I'm done. I used to eat them by the box. I like the minis though.

Certain cream cheese icing is too much, but generally it's more to do with texture-- insufficient whipping of the butter and cream cheese before the sugar is added creates that really melty, syrupy icing that won't hold up to piping. You also have to add more sugar that way, which makes it too sweet for me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Pretty excited, I'm on my way home from Whole Foods and procured my first ever Jeni's.... whiskey and pecans. I thought my husband was going to faint when he saw the $10/pint price tag.

So my review is... I liked the nice creamy base. It didn't have a strong whiskey flavor, as @cortelli has pointed out, but I detected some sour notes, almost like the sour mash used in the distilling process? The pecans were almost too big for my taste, I like lots of mix ins but I like them to be smaller and more dispersed throughout.

ETA my first Jeni's experience was good but not great. I think based on the flavor selections they had at whole foods, which only included bramble berry crisp and salted caramel and dark chocolate, I will probably just wait for when they open the Jeni's ice cream parlor here and try fun flavors there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    New banner is up for the group-- one of those pics is mine and two are Jen's (GiveMeCoffee).
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    New banner is up for the group-- one of those pics is mine and two are Jen's (GiveMeCoffee).

Saw that, looks nice!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The only things I find too sweet are Cadbury creme eggs and pretty much anything sweetened with splenda.

The last time I had a Cadbury egg (two years ago, I think?) I could barely finish it because it tasted like pure sugar.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Saw that, looks nice!

Thanks it only took me 8 tries to get it the right size. :laugh: You would think it would automatically adjust the size but you'd be incorrect.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

The last time I had a Cadbury egg (two years ago, I think?) I could barely finish it because it tasted like pure sugar.

I eat one a year at Easter. I like them, but they usually hurt my teeth because they're so sweet.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Saw that, looks nice!

Thanks it only took me 8 tries to get it the right size. :laugh: You would think it would automatically adjust the size but you'd be incorrect.

Good job!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Went to Shop Rite, bought 3 new things and had to sample them (although it's not always easy to tell with just one tablespoon)...

Baskin Robbins pralines'n cream. Ok I'll have to eat more probably to appreciate it, it seemed a bit... bland. I don't know. Once again I'm comparing to the local ice cream place and that one seems way more flavorful.

Haagen Dazs tres leches - good!

And this one

Haagen-Dazs-ice-cream-Applewood-Smoked-Caramel-Almond-Cool-Mom-Picks_zpszxal1aqk.jpg

Kinda surprised it wasn't even in the MFP database, so I had to add it... it's fantastic, but at 290 calories a serving, I'll have to eat a bit at a time, I think.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Woah, that stuff looks good. I don't think I'll get to taste it because it says regional exclusive on the Haagen-Dazs website.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Pretty excited, I'm on my way home from Whole Foods and procured my first ever Jeni's.... whiskey and pecans. I thought my husband was going to faint when he saw the $10/pint price tag.

So my review is... I liked the nice creamy base. It didn't have a strong whiskey flavor, as @cortelli has pointed out, but I detected some sour notes, almost like the sour mash used in the distilling process? The pecans were almost too big for my taste, I like lots of mix ins but I like them to be smaller and more dispersed throughout.

ETA my first Jeni's experience was good but not great. I think based on the flavor selections they had at whole foods, which only included bramble berry crisp and salted caramel and dark chocolate, I will probably just wait for when they open the Jeni's ice cream parlor here and try fun flavors there.

Brambleberry was AMAZING!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Brambleberry was AMAZING!

I like that one too. Although when I first tried it I said I wasn't going to spend that much money on it again. And then I did.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    What are brambleberries? Are they like snozzberries? No seriously, I'm allergic to strawberries so I always steer clear of the mixed berry/hybrid berry concoctions...
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    What are brambleberries? Are they like snozzberries? No seriously, I'm allergic to strawberries so I always steer clear of the mixed berry/hybrid berry concoctions...

I remember it from the package -- it is a blend of blackberry and black currants. And it's good; but the little oat cluster mix-ins are the shining star. I will buy this again, for sure (even at Jeni's prices).