Making changes that are sustainable

Options
alphabetsoup2013
alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
When I started losing weight in January 2013, I made a promise to myself: I would only make changes that were changes I could sustain over the long-term. Otherwise, what was the point? I would simply be setting myself up for failure again.

This was my thinking:
  • Sure, I could exercise for three hours every night, trying to burn a ton of calories, but would I be willing to keep up that kind of commitment over the long-term? Absolutely not!
  • Sure, I could cut my caloric intake way down so that the weight would come off more quickly, but would that be sustainable? Absolutely not! I had enough experience with weight loss to know that if I deprived myself too severely, my body would respond by triggering an urge to binge.

So I committed to a reasonable exercise plan. I started out walking around the block, because that was all I could manage. I gradually built up to 10,000 steps/day (about an hour of walking at a brisk pace). And I committed to cutting back my calories to 1200 net calories per day. (Total calories consumed less calories burned via exercise = net calories.) Sometimes I would bump that up for a while to give myself more calories to play with.

A little over two years later, I have transitioned into maintenance (which has meant eating approximately 1500 net calories per day). I feel confident that I will be able to keep the weight off this time (for the first time ever!) if I
  1. keep exercising daily (because that is so key to my overall well-being: everything from managing my anxiety/depression to helping me to sleep well)
  2. keep a food diary on an ongoing basis (because that is the only thing that has ever worked for me in balancing my food intake with my exercise output).

So if I can offer you one piece of advice (as someone who has been working away at this thing for a while), it would be this: try to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable -- that you can live with over the long-term. And treat the weight loss phase as training for maintenance and the rest of your life.

Hope this is helpful.

Ann, age 51, 5'6"
Starting Weight: 286.6 (January 2013) -- Goal Weight: 154.6 (achieved January 2015)
132 lbs. lost

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing this. I have a tendency to get impatient and want my weight to just be constantly dropping. When I was heavier, it came off easier. I know think I will need to adjust gradually as I approach my goal weight and then the transition to maintenance also will only be small change. It took me a long time to get that overweight. It won't change back overnight.
  • SusieBe9
    SusieBe9 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I started losing weight in January 2013, I made a promise to myself: I would only make changes that were changes I could sustain over the long-term. Otherwise, what was the point? I would simply be setting myself up for failure again.

This was my thinking:
    • Sure, I could exercise for three hours every night, trying to burn a ton of calories, but would I be willing to keep up that kind of commitment over the long-term? Absolutely not!
    • Sure, I could cut my caloric intake way down so that the weight would come off more quickly, but would that be sustainable? Absolutely not! I had enough experience with weight loss to know that if I deprived myself too severely, my body would respond by triggering an urge to binge.

So I committed to a reasonable exercise plan. I started out walking around the block, because that was all I could manage. I gradually built up to 10,000 steps/day (about an hour of walking at a brisk pace). And I committed to cutting back my calories to 1200 net calories per day. (Total calories consumed less calories burned via exercise = net calories.) Sometimes I would bump that up for a while to give myself more calories to play with.

A little over two years later, I have transitioned into maintenance (which has meant eating approximately 1500 net calories per day). I feel confident that I will be able to keep the weight off this time (for the first time ever!) if I
    1. keep exercising daily (because that is so key to my overall well-being: everything from managing my anxiety/depression to helping me to sleep well)
    2. keep a food diary on an ongoing basis (because that is the only thing that has ever worked for me in balancing my food intake with my exercise output).

So if I can offer you one piece of advice (as someone who has been working away at this thing for a while), it would be this: try to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable -- that you can live with over the long-term. And treat the weight loss phase as training for maintenance and the rest of your life.

Hope this is helpful.

Ann, age 51, 5'6"
    Starting Weight: 286.6 (January 2013) -- Goal Weight: 154.6 (achieved January 2015)
    132 lbs. lost

What a great accomplishment! Congrats! The goals you set are the very same goals I have set. 10,000 + steps and 1200 calories per day. So far it seems to be the perfect set of goals.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

This was my thinking:

Hope this is helpful.

Ann, age 51, 5'6"
    132 lbs. lost

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.. you have made me rethink how I go about losing weight. You are so right when you say.. try to make lifestyle changes that are sustainable... Excellent advise :)
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I really appreciate it. Have an amazing day -- and remember to be kind to yourself. That is key to this journey, too -- self-compassion. It's so easy to beat yourself up as opposed to treating yourself with the kindness you would extend to a friend who is struggling. Be that kind of friend to yourself.
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! You are an inspiration for sure! One thing I got rid of this time was that "either or" thinking that I almost always have had when dieting, you know that I was either dieting or I was not and one slip in the morning meant eat whatever I wanted for the rest of the day which then generally turned into a week! Now I have a range of calorie goals depending on the situation such as I usually try to stay between 1200 and 1300 per day, but if I go out to eat or want a high calorie dessert, I'll go up to 1500 and not worry about it too much. But I try really really hard not to ever go over what would be my maintenance goal. This kind of thinking really helped me during the holidays particularly when it could have been a perfect excuse for me to completely blow my calorie limits and then just keep on blowing them because I felt in my own mind that I had already messed up.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You did so well. I have approached this attempt with much the same attitude as you. I wasn't going to starve myself or workout like I'm on the Biggest Loser. Some days I work out more than others but I'm not getting carried away either. I have learned to not beat myself up, too, when it hasn't been a 'perfect' day. You certainly are an inspiration and I hope to learn from your example.

• alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    One thing I got rid of this time was that "either or" thinking that I almost always have had when dieting, you know that I was either dieting or I was not and one slip in the morning meant eat whatever I wanted for the rest of the day which then generally turned into a week!

Hey, I hear you! I've lost entire decades of healthy living to that kind of thinking. ;-)
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to starve myself or workout like I'm on the Biggest Loser.

Agreed! Can you imagine? Weight loss would have to become the focus of your entire life. It would be your full-time job. That doesn't have any appeal to me at all....
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well written, Ann! Thanks for sharing.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I agree whole-heartedly Ann. I will never be a gym rat. Wasn't going to spend hours and hours working out. That would have lasted a long time, ha. Wasn't going to stop eating chocolate and other goodies, now I just enjoy them in smaller portions. I have been at goal for three years. I still have"bad" days. I don't beat myself up over it. It's over, move on. Now it is mostly good days and I am happy with that. I love being a size 4/6 and sharing clothes with my fit daughters. It has been a blast buying new clothes, so much better than eating myself into a coma. The most exciting (and the hardest) has been maintaining. Never done that before. Been a lifelong yo-yo, not anymore. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Great job Anne -- it's amazing what just walking can do as an exercise. It's all about what you will do on a regular basis...while losing and afterwards. Congrats!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    In my teen years I would lose (and gain) 10 lb in two weeks. Those days are long gone (I'm 55) and my new reality is that I have to work hard to lose a pound.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Nice post, Ann. One thing I tried to keep in the forefront of my mind while losing was to make this a sustainable journey. It was hard at first to find that balance of good eating, healthy eating, junk eating, exercise and general healthy lifestyle. But it can be done. Slow and steady is the key.
    A co-worker of mine recently said "be kind to yourself" and that really stuck with me. I hadn't heard that saying before and do have a tendency to beat myself up. I'm trying hard to remember and live this saying.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    A co-worker of mine recently said "be kind to yourself" and that really stuck with me. I hadn't heard that saying before and do have a tendency to beat myself up. I'm trying hard to remember and live this saying.

I read an amazing book on this subject last year: Self-Compassion by Kristen Neff. It's a great book and really helped me to shift the voice in my head from self-critical to self-compassionate.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll see if the library has a copy. One can never be too nice to oneself. We (or, at least, I) can spend a lot of time attacking ourselves for tiny little things.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options
    @alphabetsoup2013 ..thanks for sharing. Had you struggled with weight all of your life?
  • alphabetsoup2013
    Options
    Hi @lovesretirement -- Yes, since I was in elementary school. I was an overweight kid/teen, a chubby bride (175 lbs.), and an obese adult.
  • jlcase0000
    jlcase0000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    These are great comments and really strike home with me. I lost 50 pounds during my divorce 15 years ago, and I remember telling a friend nothing tastes as good as tucking in my shirt! I kept it off for a long time but the past couple of years, the weight has crept up on me and now I need to lose about 25 pounds but it's a different ball game now that I'm 52. I'm my own worst critic and I need to work on that. Thanks for all the good advice!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for being so open about what you are doing. Would you mind sharing some more details on what maintenance is like? How many calories more do you get than when you were losing? Do you gain some and then lose again or do you stay pretty consistent? Have you changed your exercise schedule at all?
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Super job and I agree wholeheartedly. I refuse to give up fullfat dairy so I'm not! I need to work on my journaling, the good bad and the ugly.