How to add fat to feel full without adding carbs or protein?

Options
I've been eating a half stick of butter to help me to feel full, and that's all fine and good, but are there any other foods that will help fill me up without adding carbs (avocados), or adding protein (cheese)?

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Look for the fat bomb recipes scattered throughout this group's posts (or Google them). DittoDan posts some awesome ones with regularity.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I drink tea or coffee with cream or butter added in.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Your protein level shouldn't be a cap, and as a man, you can probably get away with quite a bit more protein than 85g, unless you have a specific reason for keeping it there. Tweaking your goals to include a little more protein will probably make your life quite a bit easier.
  • jerryellis63012
    jerryellis63012 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Your protein level shouldn't be a cap, and as a man, you can probably get away with quite a bit more protein than 85g, unless you have a specific reason for keeping it there. Tweaking your goals to include a little more protein will probably make your life quite a bit easier.
    When I started tracking ( because I wasn't losing weight) I realized I was eating ALLOT of protein and not nearly as much fat as I thought I was so I worked out my macros with the keto calculator and the numbers I'm using now is what it suggested. I tried not counting calories and going over my allotted macros on fat and protein but wasn't losing, so now I'm sticking to a calorie deficit and see how that works out, so that's the reason for the question and why I'm trying to stay at the macros the calculator gave me.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When I started tracking ( because I wasn't losing weight) I realized I was eating ALLOT of protein and not nearly as much fat as I thought I was so I worked out my macros with the keto calculator and the numbers I'm using now is what it suggested. I tried not counting calories and going over my allotted macros on fat and protein but wasn't losing, so now I'm sticking to a calorie deficit and see how that works out, so that's the reason for the question and why I'm trying to stay at the macros the calculator gave me.

Keto calculator gives a range for protein. What range does it give you, and where does your 85g fall in it? Unless you picked the top number (in which case, you might want to consider double-checking your body fat percentage), you should have quite a bit of wiggle room to try a higher amount. Even increasing by 10 or 15g can mean the difference between feeling starved and satiated, or being able to get the right balance of fat and protein without eating sticks of butter all the time.

You don't need to change your calorie allotment in order to increase your protein intake. It just takes a few grams away from fat (and by "a few," I really do mean a few -- we're talking 5-8g).
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you want to search for fat bombs... you can search the site using this round about method. You can use it to search for anything by changing what is in quotations You enter this exactly as below into google. mfp sucks for searches. After the quotations -lcd is this group. You can also search the keto group.

"fat bomb" lcd:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

"fat bomb" keto:community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group

hope that helps
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The easiest way I have is to eat spoonfuls of double (heavy) cream. I agree with Dragonwolf that 85 is probably a bit low for a man. I'm eating around 100. 85 is the lowest limit when I calculate my macros so I keep it around the middle mark. Some days, if I'm hungry, I have more.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Boy, I feel your frustration. . Weight loss is so slow for me . I have changed my macros and increased my fat. But I simply have to watch the calorie thing. 1600 but I exercise a lot.

In 12 weeks I have only lost 5 lbs. It is discouraging. I see such progress in others.
    I try to get my protein and carb count to be under my fat count. Some days are impossible.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The easiest way I have found to add fat is with olive oil.

Toss some into your salad, toss your veggies in it (lightly sauteed veggies in olive oil and some garlic - yummy).
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Bullet Proof Coffee.... Coconut Oil in everything... Fat bombs, especially raspberry ones.
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Mayonnaise with pretty much everything.

Cream in your coffee.

Well - that's what I do.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Butter on my protein, spoonfuls of mayo, fat bombs, sour cream. I did maje my first BPC the other day and it was yummy, however I went way over on my calories for the day!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of macadamia nut oil that I use for extra fat. I also have mayo and heavy cream. At the end of the day if I'm low, I just have a tablespoon or two of the oil by itself. Down the hatch... I have been known to also take a small glass of almond coconut milk and mix fats into that (mac nut oil, flax oil, and heavy cream). Drinkable fat bomb with a negligible amount of protein and carbs.

When I fix my lunch, I usually have vegetables with it like broccoli or spinach. With the broccoli, I started adding cheese AND butter for a double dose of fat. With the spinach, I have a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Sometimes I make "spicy broccoli" with mayonnaise, sriracha (spicy red rooster sauce), and a dash of sesame oil.
    With my dinner, I use bacon fat with all the things.

I didn't used to add cream to my coffee and tea. I do now.

-T.
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    I have a bottle of macadamia nut oil that I use for extra fat. I also have mayo and heavy cream. At the end of the day if I'm low, I just have a tablespoon or two of the oil by itself. Down the hatch... I have been known to also take a small glass of almond coconut milk and mix fats into that (mac nut oil, flax oil, and heavy cream). Drinkable fat bomb with a negligible amount of protein and carbs.

When I fix my lunch, I usually have vegetables with it like broccoli or spinach. With the broccoli, I started adding cheese AND butter for a double dose of fat. With the spinach, I have a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Sometimes I make "spicy broccoli" with mayonnaise, sriracha (spicy red rooster sauce), and a dash of sesame oil.
    With my dinner, I use bacon fat with all the things.

I didn't used to add cream to my coffee and tea. I do now.

-T.

I like the idea of nut oil, if it eliminates the carbs. Is it expensive? For me, fat bombs have evolved into candy substitutes, especially with chocolate added. Lures me to the dark side :p (no pun intended!)

I will try your spicy broccoli for lunch today :) Thanks for your strategies.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    The mac nut oil is kinda pricey. It's around $10 for an 8.5 oz bottle. I get it from Sprouts or Whole Foods, but you can also order it online from Amazon. The plus side is that I can have a spoonful of it without feeling all nasty like I do with flax oil.
    I also have a bottle of walnut oil that I got from Whole Foods that was a bit cheaper, but I don't have that often. It tastes bitter to me.

-T.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember about nut oils is that they often have a shorter shelf life than many other oils. That bottle of walnut oil had a shelf life of only a year or so unopened. Once it was opened maybe six months in the fridge or 3 in the pantry.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I just ate a whole pack of Cornish clotted cream (incredibly thick cream with texture of artisan ice cream, but with lovely yellow crust, in case you don't have this where you are) with frozen raspberries for punch. It is well over 90 per cent fat and you could leave out the raspberries as these add a few carbs. It's like eating ice cream but less cold, you don't miss the sugar as the cream is so delicious. Lots of fat, hardly anything else.... heaven!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Lunch not punch, sorry....
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Clotted cream is lovely stuff, can eat off the spoon or add to coffee. You just have to change your way of thinking about fat.