Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Our Easter is deferred until next weekend (in-laws traveling this week). Tried McConnell's Toasted Coconut Almond Chip ice cream tonight. Fantastic! Great sweet cream base; both toasted and shredded coconut mixed in (so coconut taste with different textures); almond chips and dark chocolate bits too. This was my best surprise in some time. If you're in California or have access to McConnell's and like coconut - this is a dare-not-miss ice cream!

f4w3n11pk304.jpg

EDIT: (forgot to mention you'll pay a price for this treasure with both coconut and almonds mixed in -- 310 cals in a 106g serving :# )

I just saw this brand and decided to not pick them up because you mentioned the Turkish coffee wasn't so great. I may have to give this a try sometime.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Ok now I am officially stocked up on ice cream.

My order of Jenis came in & I have Brambleberry Crisp, Goat Cheese with Red Cherries, Brown Butter Almond Brittle, & The Savannah Buttermint flavor. Weis has a deal on Talenti so I price matched at Wal-Mart & got two Salted Caramel Peanut pints for $3.50 each & still have a pint of Southern Butter Pecan & Egg Nog (yum I didn't know I had another one tucked in the basement freezer). Weis also had a slew of ice creams on sale for $1.98 (Edy's ice creams & their bars, Haagen Dazs ice creams & their bars, & Nestle cones) so I bought Cinnamon Bun Fun in the light & normal variety & Light Mint Chocolate Chip & light Cookie Dough (also priced matched this deal at Wal-Mart).

At Wal-Mart I also had to pick up some Easter Candy since it's half off. I bought two of the Coldstone Creamery Rainbow Cakery Eggs for $2.50, two packages of Mini M&Ms, & some other assorted candies for family members.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    There's a thread on Easter candy in the main forums and I'm just giggling at the people saying real eggs are their favorite candy.

That's just sad.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Acrylics wrote:
    @Cortelli your counter top looks like mine. For a second I thought that was my picture and I was confused.

I'm sure yours is cleaner and neater!

auddii wrote: »
    Our Easter is deferred until next weekend (in-laws traveling this week). Tried McConnell's Toasted Coconut Almond Chip ice cream tonight. Fantastic! Great sweet cream base; both toasted and shredded coconut mixed in (so coconut taste with different textures); almond chips and dark chocolate bits too. This was my best surprise in some time. If you're in California or have access to McConnell's and like coconut - this is a dare-not-miss ice cream!

f4w3n11pk304.jpg

EDIT: (forgot to mention you'll pay a price for this treasure with both coconut and almonds mixed in -- 310 cals in a 106g serving :# )

I just saw this brand and decided to not pick them up because you mentioned the Turkish coffee wasn't so great. I may have to give this a try sometime.

The Turkish Coffee was pretty good - I was just expecting more "Turkish-ness." However that was a different brand (Mission Hill).

This McConnell's is great - I had no idea you could get it in Texas. So far I've tried Choc Covered Strawberries and the Coconut one - both very, very good. Hadn't come across it before but remembered it from Santa Barbara long ago so decided to give it a whirl - super glad I did! Try one!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    www.theimpulsivebuy.com said that Skippy might've been Jif will also have a Sea Salt Caramel peanut butter coming to stores soon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    www.theimpulsivebuy.com said that Skippy might've been Jif will also have a Sea Salt Caramel peanut butter coming to stores soon.

Limited edition I think.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Acrylics wrote:
    @Cortelli your counter top looks like mine. For a second I thought that was my picture and I was confused.

I'm sure yours is cleaner and neater!

auddii wrote: »

f4w3n11pk304.jpg

The Turkish Coffee was pretty good - I was just expecting more "Turkish-ness." However that was a different brand (Mission Hill).

This McConnell's is great - I had no idea you could get it in Texas. So far I've tried Choc Covered Strawberries and the Coconut one - both very, very good. Hadn't come across it before but remembered it from Santa Barbara long ago so decided to give it a whirl - super glad I did! Try one!
    Well hell. I just noticed the Turkish coffee flavor and assumed it was the same one you tried. Now I need to go back and see which one it was. The packaging was very minimalist and white, so it might be the McConnell's. Darn, I must go investigate more ice cream...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So I was browsing Target last night, and I saw they carried Jeni's. Have seen lots of posts in here about it. I'm especially intrigued by the Whiskey & Pecan flavor @Cortelli and others have mentioned a few times before.

But is it really worth $10 a pint??
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

ceoverturf wrote: »
    So I was browsing Target last night, and I saw they carried Jeni's. Have seen lots of posts in here about it. I'm especially intrigued by the Whiskey & Pecan flavor @Cortelli and others have mentioned a few times before.

I tried the Whiskey and Pecans. I thought it was good but not worth $10/pint.

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Yeah - I am not sure anything I've had from anyone is honestly worth $10 / pint; there are too many good ice creams and gelatos for less that are outstanding in their own right.

But I am OK splurging every now and then to try an interesting flavor. I know I'll buy the Goat Cheese and Red Cherries flavor that dunnodunno (kellybellyjelly - name is too long to remember!) recently ordered. Even if I have to pay $12 for the pint the way I did for Whiskey & Pecans and Brambleberry Crisp from Jeni's! For a unique flavor from a quality creamery, I'm totally game - just not for everyday gelato-ing.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The husband and I are taking a trip to Jungle Jim's this evening: http://www.junglejims.com/. He wants some gross soda (ranch dressing, sweet corn) and I'm super excited to check out the ice cream. If they don't have Raspberry Cheesecake Talenti, I'm probably going to cry.

Looks like a fantastic place.

It is. I haven't been there in about two years, but they have basically every food and drink you can imagine (including a Starbucks).

We did a quick trip. They don't have any Talenti (not that I saw anyway), but had some Steve's, Jeni's, and Gelato Fiasco flavors. They also had the Yuengling ice cream, but I didn't want to buy a whole quart. I ended up with: 2gvxntxf9c4p.jpg

The Crank & Boom is a Kentukian (?) brand with no nutrition info. I'm excited to try both of these. No calories left in the day, but something to look forward to tomorrow.

I'm still trying to catch up since I was on vacation, but I had to say, you need the Yuengling Black & Tan. Trust me.

What the heck is going on with the posts? They're huge!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The husband and I are taking a trip to Jungle Jim's this evening: http://www.junglejims.com/. He wants some gross soda (ranch dressing, sweet corn) and I'm super excited to check out the ice cream. If they don't have Raspberry Cheesecake Talenti, I'm probably going to cry.

It is. I haven't been there in about two years, but they have basically every food and drink you can imagine (including a Starbucks).

We did a quick trip. They don't have any Talenti (not that I saw anyway), but had some Steve's, Jeni's, and Gelato Fiasco flavors. They also had the Yuengling ice cream, but I didn't want to buy a whole quart. I ended up with: 2gvxntxf9c4p.jpg

The Crank & Boom is a Kentukian (?) brand with no nutrition info. I'm excited to try both of these. No calories left in the day, but something to look forward to tomorrow.

I'm still trying to catch up since I was on vacation, but I had to say, you need the Yuengling Black & Tan. Trust me.

The developers broke things again.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    OK cool...good to know. Got 3 half-ish empty pints going right now. Maybe I'll check one out for fun when these are gone.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I hope they're not keeping it that way. That was nice when the pics resized themselves.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I hope they're not keeping it that way. That was nice when the pics resized themselves.

Olivia says by the end of the week. So maybe 6 months?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Yeah - I am not sure anything I've had from anyone is honestly worth $10 / pint; there are too many good ice creams and gelatos for less that are outstanding in their own right.

But I am OK splurging every now and then to try an interesting flavor. I know I'll buy the Goat Cheese and Red Cherries flavor that dunnodunno (kellybellyjelly - name is too long to remember!) recently ordered. Even if I have to pay $12 for the pint the way I did for Whiskey & Pecans and Brambleberry Crisp from Jeni's! For a unique flavor from a quality creamery, I'm totally game - just not for everyday gelato-ing.

The Goat Cheese With Red Cherries is definitely yummy! I've never tried anything with Goat Cheese before & was pleasantly surprised how it well it fit into the ice cream. It had a distinct flavor, but not too overwhelming.

The Savannah Buttermint is a white mint flavored ice cream with white crunchy bits throughout. It does taste more indulgent than the Peppermint flavors I had around Christmas, but I liked that they had more mix-ins.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

That just made me totally LOL!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

It's cheaper than the what I paid online for my four pints. If you break the servings down it's around $2.50 per serving which isn't great, but could be worth it for a rare treat every now & again.

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    Options

Limited edition I think.

I'll buy that one after my MaraNatha one since I assume it will be better price wise.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

That just made me totally LOL!

Hahahaha!