Week 1 newbies?

Options
Brans34
Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
This is my very first time doing a C25K program. Everyone else's stories are so inspiring, and I'm actually looking forward to week 5! I know that at the point I'm at now, there's NO way I'm ready for it; I can't even make it 2 minutes straight right now. But the idea that I'm gonna be able to do that in a couple of weeks is so exciting!

I ! did week 1, day 1 on the 1st (even though I didn't start on a Sunday, like it says), and I'll be doing day 2 today, as soon as someone get here to watch the tiny man.

*My April goal was to start a C25K, and didn't realize the program was gonna tell me I had to start it on a specific day of the week. BUT...I can "select the activity" and do it Anyways. The dates just don't keep up with me. Its all good.

Replies

• traveling12015
    traveling12015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting the program! I started on Sunday and finished week 1 today! It was tough, but I made it :p
  • Brans34
    Options
    Thanks! I'm pretty excited!
    And congrats to you on finishing your first week!
  • NELMSH
    NELMSH Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Day 2 today. So far so good!
  • Brans34
    Options
    NELMSH wrote: »
    Day 2 today. So far so good!

YAY! Way to go! I just finished day 2, also! We rock!
  • Jeffwil
    Jeffwil Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Completed day one this morning on Eastbourne sea front was a bit chilly but very sunny, felt great. Looking for people to follow for motivation
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I started C25k on June 15 2014, did 10k mid November 2014, half marathon in 2hr 6 on 15 March 2015, 5k this weekend under 26 mins. I could not not do 2 mins either in June last year. Trust the programme and enjoy the ride (oops run). Embrace it, enjoy it, eulogise it. Have fun on your journeys and if you want some support, just pm
  • Brans34
    Options
    Jeffwil wrote: »
    Completed day one this morning on Eastbourne sea front was a bit chilly but very sunny, felt great. Looking for people to follow for motivation

Way to go! I just finished my 3rd run a few minutes ago. I feel GREAT! I couldn't run for the whole 1.5 miles, but I ran for most of it, so that makes me proud of me. My next scheduled run is a 45 minute brisk walk/jog, just to get used to being active for longer periods of time. That should be fairly easy...since I got my gum membership a couple months ago, I've been on the treadmill for an hour at a time, 4-7 days a week.
  • Brans34
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    I started C25k on June 15 2014, did 10k mid November 2014, half marathon in 2hr 6 on 15 March 2015, 5k this weekend under 26 mins. I could not not do 2 mins either in June last year. Trust the programme and enjoy the ride (oops run). Embrace it, enjoy it, eulogise it. Have fun on your journeys and if you want some support, just pm

That's great! I am really enjoying it now. I can already run so much more than I would have even thought possible in January! I am strangely looking forward to. That 20 minute straight run...without walking breaks. I live the mental image of me being able to do that.
  • Brans34
    Options
    *love, not live. Lol
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »

That's great! I am really enjoying it now. I can already run so much more than I would have even thought possible in January! I am strangely looking forward to. That 20 minute straight run...without walking breaks. I love the mental image of me being able to do that.

You are already there. You have started to convince yourself you can do it. Your mind is the biggest issue on this journey. If you follow the programme and run at a speed where you can also talk you will get there. Speed comes later and largely due to more cardiovascular fitness from spending more time on your feet, more days or longer runs, whatever fits. Finding a motivator may help you depending on what "lights your fire", I signed up for a 10k and vowed I would not walk it. That kept me on the programme the second time. The first time I went too fast and injured myself. I thought I knew better and my ego (running too fast) got in the way of my body and sustainable progress

You have made a fantastic start keep going and I look forward to reading about your success.

• Brans34
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Brans34
    Options
    Thank you!
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just started the program on Saturday, today will be my day 2. So far so good. Hoping with the warmer weather I won't feel like I am running through jello.....
  • Brans34
    Options
    Thank you!
    LBoggie77 wrote: »
    I just started the program on Saturday, today will be my day 2. So far so good. Hoping with the warmer weather I won't feel like I am running through jello.....

Lol. I think I started at a good time, too. Just starting to warm up, so I won't be freezing, and not so hot yet that I'd melt to death!
    Congrats on starting! I will finish week 1 tomorrow with a 45 minute brisk walk/jog.
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am actually just about to do Day 1! I was a runner in high school - I ran cross-country and the 1600 and 3200 on my track team. I have fallen off the band-wagon since college and graduation, though and can't even run for five minutes anymore! I really want to "be a runner" again. Good to meet y'all! I'd love to find some people to follow for inspiration, as well :)
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Groan, cold weather mad me miss day 2 yesterday. Fingers crossed that it doesn't snow like the forecast is predicting.....
  • Brans34
    Options
    LBoggie77 wrote: »
    Groan, cold weather mad me miss day 2 yesterday. Fingers crossed that it doesn't snow like the forecast is predicting.....

:-( that sucks! I know there are a lot of people that still get out there and run in the freezing cold and snow and rain, but I can't do it either! That'd why I got my gym membership. I hope it holds out enough for you to at least get your run in!

I just finished week 1! I'm s proud of me! :-) My knees were a little sore, so I was glad that it was just a brisk walk/ jog day. They aren't as bad as yesterday, so I'm going with my thought of them just being sore because they aren't used to this.
  • traveling12015
    traveling12015 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

You are already there. You have started to convince yourself you can do it. Your mind is the biggest issue on this journey. If you follow the programme and run at a speed where you can also talk you will get there. Speed comes later and largely due to more cardiovascular fitness from spending more time on your feet, more days or longer runs, whatever fits.

I started program on 3/29. I'm currently on week 2. I'll do day 3 tomorrow. Good advice on not focusing on speed. I tried running a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but got injured. I was running like a maniac :D This time I'm going to do it at my own pace. I hurt my ankle Sunday, but found adding custom orthotic insert to my shoes helped tremendously!
  • blantonjm197
    blantonjm197 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started the C25k program 4/4/15 and am working on Week 1 Day 3 tonight. I'd like to get back up to a 5k and run that 3 times a week for a few months and then look for a 10K or half marathon to start training for. But before I get ahead of myself, I'd like to complete the program.