Week 1 newbies?

Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

I tried running a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, but got injured. I was running like a maniac :D .......

Been there, got that t shirt. I succeeded on my second round of c25k only because I left my ego at the house on the way out for a run. I never got to maniac status but was definitely going too fast for my muscles, tendons and ligaments to keep pace with and being obese at the time. Have fun

• ftrobbie
    Options
    I started the C25k program 4/4/15 and am working on Week 1 Day 3 tonight. I'd like to get back up to a 5k and run that 3 times a week for a few months and then look for a 10K or half marathon to start training for. But before I get ahead of myself, I'd like to complete the program.

It's good to plan ahead, rather than doing 5ks several times a week, I would jump straight into bridge to 10k. That is c25k for the first 8 weeks and then 5 to 6 weeks to extend you out to 10k if you want to do longer distances. In doing so, your 5k time will improve. If you just want to improve 5k times then search for a 5k improver programme and do that. You will need variety otherwise it will get boring and stale. Have fun

• Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    I started the C25k program 4/4/15 and am working on Week 1 Day 3 tonight. I'd like to get back up to a 5k and run that 3 times a week for a few months and then look for a 10K or half marathon to start training for. But before I get ahead of myself, I'd like to complete the program.

It's good to plan ahead, rather than doing 5ks several times a week, I would jump straight into bridge to 10k. That is c25k for the first 8 weeks and then 5 to 6 weeks to extend you out to 10k if you want to do longer distances. In doing so, your 5k time will improve. If you just want to improve 5k times then search for a 5k improver programme and do that. You will need variety otherwise it will get boring and stale. Have fun

Thanks for the advice! I had basically the same plan as blantonjm. Right now, I am happy with the thought that I will soon be able to run a 5K, but to be able to do a 10K without stopping would make me ecstatic!
  • LBoggie77
    LBoggie77 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    LBoggie77 wrote: »
    Groan, cold weather mad me miss day 2 yesterday. Fingers crossed that it doesn't snow like the forecast is predicting.....

:-( that sucks! I know there are a lot of people that still get out there and run in the freezing cold and snow and rain, but I can't do it either! That'd why I got my gym membership. I hope it holds out enough for you to at least get your run in!

I just finished week 1! I'm s proud of me! :-) My knees were a little sore, so I was glad that it was just a brisk walk/ jog day. They aren't as bad as yesterday, so I'm going with my thought of them just being sore because they aren't used to this.

I got through day 2!!! And you will be proud of me, as it was snowing/sleeting. I have to say, it was kind of nice as the cool weather kept me from getting too warm.

My knees are okay, but my ankles tell another story. They have been taking a beating, even though I got fitted for these new fancy running shoes, I still have some pain. I am sure it will improve as I get further in this program. In the meantime, its a bike ride tonight. Tomorrow will be my day 3, wish me luck :)
  • Brans34
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    Groan, cold weather mad me miss day 2 yesterday. Fingers crossed that it doesn't snow like the forecast is predicting.....

:-( that sucks! I know there are a lot of people that still get out there and run in the freezing cold and snow and rain, but I can't do it either! That'd why I got my gym membership. I hope it holds out enough for you to at least get your run in!

I just finished week 1! I'm s proud of me! :-) My knees were a little sore, so I was glad that it was just a brisk walk/ jog day. They aren't as bad as yesterday, so I'm going with my thought of them just being sore because they aren't used to this.

I got through day 2!!! And you will be proud of me, as it was snowing/sleeting. I have to say, it was kind of nice as the cool weather kept me from getting too warm.

My knees are okay, but my ankles tell another story. They have been taking a beating, even though I got fitted for these new fancy running shoes, I still have some pain. I am sure it will improve as I get further in this program. In the meantime, its a bike ride tonight. Tomorrow will be my day 3, wish me luck :)

Wow! Awesome dedication!
    I really need to go het some fitted shoes, too. There's just no place near me to do it. I'm planning on going out of town this weekend JUST to get some. Closest place I have heard of is about an hour and a half away. And hopefully the reviews are wrong! Lol. Most of them talk about hateful customer service. If that happens though, I'm the type of person that will smile through it, find out what shoes I need, then ask them what other stores sell them. Lol. I'm a little evil like that!
  • MandyJoy624
    MandyJoy624 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started day 1 on Saturday (4th) going to do day 2 today after work. It's been cold here in Utah and I am a wuss and have to push a jogging stroller. Involving my kids seems like the only way I am going to be able to do this. Hahaha.
  • Brans34
    Options
    I really have to get a jogging stroller. I have a 3 yr old that ALWAYS wants to go, but it's just too hard to push a regular stroller and try to run.

I did week 2, day 2 (first run day of week 2), and it started raining quite hard. I was SOAKED after my run, and I only did my warm up & run. I usually end doing quite a bit more walking afterwards. I was really kinda sad that that was all I got to do.
  • NessaWild
    NessaWild Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I finished Day 3 Week 1 yesterday. I just have the app. I didn't realize that we only had to run 3 days a week! I ran all three days in a row and on the third day I could barely get my legs to work. Oops
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    NessaWild wrote: »
    I finished Day 3 Week 1 yesterday. I just have the app. I didn't realize that we only had to run 3 days a week! I ran all three days in a row and on the third day I could barely get my legs to work. Oops

Run, recover, run ,recover, run, recover, recover [repeat]

You need to allow your body to adapt, take it slow and steady there is plenty of time to run daily if you choose when you graduate. Have fun

• gizmom19
    gizmom19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just did w1d1 today. It was kinda tough but I made it. I admit though that I was thankful near the end when she said begin your cool down instead of start running :)
  • Brans34
    Options
    gizmom19 wrote: »
    Just did w1d1 today. It was kinda tough but I made it. I admit though that I was thankful near the end when she said begin your cool down instead of start running :)

Way to go! I know that feeling! I was so excited today when I heard her say, "activity complete!"
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    What way kinda tough? Out of breath kinda tough, then slow down, you are not racing yet. If you can't hold a conversation on the run phase you are running too fast. Body hurts kinda tough, substitute some of the run cycles with walk cycles until you can do the run/walk at the correct prompts. If other kinda tough then let us know and someone will be able to help. This needs to be both enjoyable and challenging, have fun on your journey.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi...I started c25k today and was happy that I completed it. I have been walking at a very brisk pace for two months now and felt I was ready to begin jogging. I have always wanted to be a runner but thought it just wasnt possible. I am excited to see my progress
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Hi...I started c25k today and was happy that I completed it. I have been walking at a very brisk pace for two months now and felt I was ready to begin jogging. I have always wanted to be a runner but thought it just wasnt possible. I am excited to see my progress

Well done for starting, if you need advice I am sure there are plenty here who have gone through the programme. It works, trust in it and more importantly enjoy it. Have fun

• Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    thanks Im sure im going to need help at some point! I did the first 15 min and thought wow this is simple. then I turned around on my path to do the second half and the wind was in my face and some hills and suddenly it wasnt so simple ;)
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    thanks Im sure im going to need help at some point! I did the first 15 min and thought wow this is simple. then I turned around on my path to do the second half and the wind was in my face and some hills and suddenly it wasnt so simple ;)

Ah the joys of the weather and being outside. To be honest unless it's a gale I rarely notice these days. Hills will get you at the start as well. The first hills I ran I thought they were hard, it's amazing at how quickly that becomes the new norm. You have made a great start and I look forward to reading about your progress

• Brans34
    Options

I felt the exact same way! The mental image of me being a runner is crazy appealing to me. I've NEVER been able to run for more than a block or so. I'm fixin to start week 2...as soon as my knees quit being sore. They're about there, just gonna give them another day or two to make sure they're good.
  • lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started day 1 today and couldn't finish it. I've been advised to go slower as I'm a complete beginner who never walked anywhere other than to my car.
    I felt dizzy and my chest was burning.
    I'll probably have to do week one more than once :smiley:
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    lisasp4 wrote: »
    I started day 1 today and couldn't finish it. I've been advised to go slower as I'm a complete beginner who never walked anywhere other than to my car.
    I felt dizzy and my chest was burning.
    I'll probably have to do week one more than once :smiley:

You should get some advice from the medical profession before starting any programme of activity if this is new to you, they will advise what level of activity you can cope with especially with what you have reported.

If you have genuinely done little walking, I would look to hold off C25k for a while. There is no rush to start it. There are plenty of reasons to allow the body to adjust to the strain of activity slowly. Have fun with whatever you decide to do.

• lisasp4
    lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I took everyone's advice and went slower today. What a difference. I completed the entire day 2 without stopping.

I had a medical check 2 weeks ago to make sure I was healthy enough to begin this journey. I'm fit as a fiddle, just really out of shape!

So proud that I completed day 2. My bum and thighs are killing me now :smile: