Exercise and hypothyroidism confusion

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
I am hearing and reading so much conflicting advice regarding the kind of exercises I should be doing to keep up my stamina. I have pretty much given up trying to lose weight. But I would like to have more stamina. I have read on the one hand that cardio exercise will make my hypothyroidism worse. I have also read that it will make it better. The same with weight lifting. Does anybody know what the real deal is regarding exercising with hypothyroidism?

Replies

• chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Do not give up. Do not give up do not give up. As far as exercise until your stuff is straightened out do what you can, even if that means a walk on the treadmill, or just a lifting session.

Here's the short and dirty version from my understanding with what I have been through. You will not lose weight until the levels are right-- I didnt. I sure as heck gained weight but it was unavoidable. But you will lose body fat, you will, I promise. Since I did and still do heavy cardio you may feel icky for the first 15-20 minutes of a session but after that feel like you can go on for days.

My metabolism as confirmed by the MDs stopped burning the calories like it should at the rate of a normal healthy adult woman. I think the weight gain could have been much worse if I stopped exercising alltogether.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    What I've found works for me is weight lifting and high volume but low intensity cardio (like lots of walking/hiking -- but no running or anything more intense). I weight lift 3x week, walk a lot (I have a treadmill desk) and do a weekly HIIT session of hill sprints. I will say that I find that I can get run down more than the average person so I'll take a rest or deload week more often than most people (usually every 6 weeks or so). I've also found that I don't need the deload/rest weeks as often when I'm following a carb cycling program (high carb on lifting days). Presumably this is because the high carbs on lifting days (in addition to my protein thresholds) helps with recovery.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I also lift weights and utilize a lot of low intensity/high volume cardio. I spend 30-40 minutes on the treadmill (fast walk) every morning and do free-weights about 2 times a week. Doing so generally puts me at about a pound a week of weight loss, assuming I'm watching what I eat and keeping up with my thyroid supplements.
  • slieber
    Options
    Elizabeth, that sequence of exercises you just described looks very logical to me.
    To all, I spoke to my doctor about this question yesterday. She told me that because my body does not make t3, when I increase exercise, it does not increase the metabolism the way it would in a normal person. She told me that as I increase exercise, if I start feeling bad to call her, make an appointment, do the blood work, and she will change the level of t3 to match the level of exercise.
    Now it makes sense why I would increase exercise, and then suddenly collapse with exhaustion.
    but your sequence of cross training, Elizabeth, looks like the most logical one that I can use. Thank you.
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for weight workouts that would work without weights? I live in the middle of nowhere and do not have access to a gym until I can move to the city
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen the BBC - truth about fat? There is a new idea to increase your fat burning capacity. It was said, a series of 7, 2 minute exercise which pushes you, so a persons personal state of health is taken into account, with one minute rest in between causes the fat burning rate to continue rather than tail off at the end of the period of exercise.
  • slieber
    Options
    I use interval training when I do cardio, which is that version. But if the body doesn't have the hormone to up the metabolism, it will still need to be added artificially when the body needs it.

As for exercise without weights, there are loads of idea out there you can use that are good. Or you can get yourself a small set of weights youse at home. I don't have them because I am not one who likes to work out at home.
  • Camilleathome
    Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hate working out at home but I live in the middle of nowhere right now so have no choice
  • SuzyH
    SuzyH Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    slieber wrote: »
    Elizabeth, that sequence of exercises you just described looks very logical to me.
    To all, I spoke to my doctor about this question yesterday. She told me that because my body does not make t3, when I increase exercise, it does not increase the metabolism the way it would in a normal person. She told me that as I increase exercise, if I start feeling bad to call her, make an appointment, do the blood work, and she will change the level of t3 to match the level of exercise.
    Now it makes sense why I would increase exercise, and then suddenly collapse with exhaustion.
    but your sequence of cross training, Elizabeth, looks like the most logical one that I can use. Thank you.

Thanks for this info and encouragement! I love working out, but then I get to a point where I get sooooo tired and the everyday stresses get to me and I just crash. Then I end up taking a few days off to rest. My dr is really good and I have another blood test scheduled next month. I also need to eat gluten free and only clean foods. This is so hard to do when it isn't the "norm" in society. Hate feeling like the odd man out (or odd gal out!), but it makes a difference in how I feel. I'm going to mention the exercise to the doc the next time I go in. Thanks!
  • languageSteph
    languageSteph Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also lift weights and utilize a lot of low intensity/high volume cardio. I spend 30-40 minutes on the treadmill (fast walk) every morning and do free-weights about 2 times a week. Doing so generally puts me at about a pound a week of weight loss, assuming I'm watching what I eat and keeping up with my thyroid supplements.

what supps do u take?

• elizabethroyce10
    elizabethroyce10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like what people have to say/ I agree with Chunt87 completely. I have an identical story. I think that we have to work harder to lose/ :( It is so unfair but that is what it is... very easy to gain and very very hard to tke it off. I found that when i got pissed and stubborn and just would not give up it helped. and even when i was not losing weight i would lose inches... It is hard but the other option.... Just never give up.
  • tamaradwyer
    tamaradwyer Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Exercise is probably the only thing keeping me healthy! 8 years into this journey ob the hypothyroid rollercoaster. I start each day walking the dogs and mix in some cardio and/or weights a few times a week at lunch or after work. Overall I'm pretty healthy, but when my fingers are blue and I am so cold and exhausted, I need the movement to keep my blood flowing.

Consider that 20 minutes of gentle arm movements and leg lifts is a good start, and build very gradually. Establish form by moving without weights or resistance bands, then add on as your muscle and balance improve.

Don't push to exhaustion. Don't overdo.
    Do keep your muscles working and engaged, because that muscle mass is so important as we age.

I just found this site today and think it's full of wonderful routines - by the way, "bodyweight" is the new fancy term for "calisthenics" if you're pushing 50 like I am :)
    http://darebee.com/
  • grammyhoyt
    grammyhoyt Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too am having difficulty losing with this thyroid problem, and find it very difficult to get rid of even one pound!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Getting your levels to match how you feel is critical. For that matter, do see your doctor & have them treat symptomatically.
  • lisemcl
    lisemcl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Despite having being diagnosed for 7 years, I wasn't aware of this! Treatment in the UK can be patchy and aside from putting me on levothyroxine, and a doctor doing an antibody test when I wanted to try for a baby (4 years after diagnosis!) I've never really had any medical advice on my thyroid.
    It certainly explains why a strenuous couple of weeks in the gym can cause me to completely crash. I'm going to be more careful from now on!
  • slieber
    Options
    I have so far managed one major gym workout and three really good ballet classes. Sleeping pattern was a bit disrupted but I managed a good night's sleep last night. So far, so good. I am going to try for a minor workout tomorrow and a major ballet class on Saturday. If I get that class in, that'll be the first time in a LONG time I managed to get all my scheduled ballet classes in without a crash!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for weight workouts that would work without weights? I live in the middle of nowhere and do not have access to a gym until I can move to the city

Missed this first time around...if you want "weighted" excercise w/o weights, use your own body weight for resistance training: pushups, planks, jumps, high jumps, wall sits/squats, lunges, that sort of thing. You can use heavy object to move around without having to "lift' ---think tossing tires, boulders, large pieces of wood. Look around your house/yard, see what you've got. Wear gloves unless your item is relatively free of creepy crawlers.

For cardio, I love to bike. In your area, wherever you are, out in the middle of nowhere? I bet you could bike easy. Keep your tires from going flat, carry a cell ph with you if you have one, wear a helmet. Bring a water bottle. There's your cardio! :)
  • SigridKayaAndersen
    SigridKayaAndersen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there...Im also diagnosed with hypotyroism and taking meds since a few months. I started following the Freeletics program and found myself losing weight despites building up muscels..very hard but amazing program can recommend it.
  • qkcam
    qkcam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    these are great suggestions about exercise.. i needed this! i have the same cycle i do and then i crash.. i am having labs drawn this week. i bet ft3 is low...in a major crash now.. and saw an acupnturist he told me not to exericse much at all but i "NEED" to exercise if that makes sense?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    There are some stages when forcing yourself to exercise is actually counter productive. I second your acupuncturist because they know more than we ordinary mortals. If your t3 is low as you suspect it means you do not have enough of the "spark", for want of a better word, to make exercise work, all you will do is push yourself further into a deeper crash.

I know how frustrating it is, not being able to get going, not feeling well. Please take this as a hug, encouragement to give yourself time to recover, may be only a few more days for things to start to improve. I always feel worse when I have to see my doctor and when I have to go for testing. If a dose increase is required you will know soon.

In the mean time, do what you can, try not to push it.