Having trouble with Low Carb

Options
GoPerfectHealth
GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hi,

Edit: Sorry for a bit of a ramble below. Basically I'm trying to figure out how to do the following:

1. Keep my blood sugar levels in check
2. Lose weight
3. Feel great

Indications of Insulin Resistance: Having some indictions of insulin resistance based on fasting glucose which is regularly measuring over 100, and usually under 110, however my A1C was only
6. 9. Anyway -- I can see I have some insulin resistance going on here.

What I've been doing about it: I have been experimenting with low carb over the last couple of weeks. The problem is, I have felt pretty dang terrible. I guess you could call it the low-carb flu. I was doing great until Easter weekend (50-100 carbs per day for a few weeks. Then Easter and scalloped potatoes and ham for a few days. Today, I had a bunch of rice crackers and am way over my calorie goal.

Yesterday I ate a bunch of almonds for lunch, and eggs for breakfast. By the time supper came, I was famished and hangry. Today I went back to 1 slice of bread with pb & j for breakfast. Then I had vege chili for lunch with a low-carb tortilla sandwich. Basically ignoring my low-carb limits. And kind of going off the deep-end

I just started a new job, and clearly need to get food prep down so I don't eat just almonds as I did yesterday, or go to the cafeteria for chili and then come home and eat rice crackers.

I think I can feel okay around 75 to 100 carbs per day. But seem to get hangry on less. If someone can help me figure out how to go lower without getting so hangry I would try it. Maybe with a healthy dose of veges at lunch, I could do it. I need to lose more than 100 pounds. Whatever I do, I have to stick to it, but also do whatever I can to keep my beta cells.

I will say that more carbs today seemed to result in craving more and more carbs resulting in the binge. Or maybe the binge was from the restriction over the last couple of weeks.

My highest my blood sugar has been is 144 after eating a plain bagel with jam. Should I just focus on "lower carbs" and losing weight? Or what do you think I should do?

If I eat low carb (50-75) how I can stay hydrated and feel great?

Thoughts, advice?

Well, if you actually read the whole post -- thank you! :smile: I should learn the art of brevity.

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have friends who can write that much without taking a breath. Yours wsn't that bad.

I can't tell you what to do or what will work for you. I can tell you what I've done and what seems to be working for me. I'm down a bit over 50 lbs and my blood glucose is mostly controlled, so far so good.

I began by eating to my glucose meter. High carb meals spiked the meter, no surprise there. But as I weaned myself from carbs my weight started to drop and my lab tests improved.

A few months back, I started following this group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    There is a lot of support there and people doing a variety of low carb eating. Check it out and check out this site
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

• GoPerfectHealth
    Options
    Thanks so much! I appreciate your share. So, when you would eat to your meter, what numbers were you eating to?
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I second the low carb group. The first thing I'd ask here though is when you reduce carbs do you increase your calories in some other way (preferably fat, which I know can be scary)? Lowering carbs will typically reduce cravings, though perhaps not initially. If you change the way you get your calories it may take a little while to adjust. Unfortunately, In the 75-100g carb range I can't offer a whole ton of help myself, I'm one of the keto crowd, which for most of us is 25g carbs or less, and ketosis changes a lot of things, and I'm honestly not sure how much of the "standard" advice for keto newbies will hold at a slightly higher, but still quite low carb count.

So head over to the low carb forum and ask there. It is fairly overrun by us keto folk, but there are people doing what you're talking about, with success, who will be able to help.

In general though I'd say aim for consistency, the bread and the jam some days with more strictness other days is probably going to make it harder to find success. And make sure you eat enough, changing the way you're eating drastically AND trying to seriously restrict calories at the same time makes for a hell of a challenge.
  • radiii
    Options
    I second the low carb group. The first thing I'd ask here though is when you reduce carbs do you increase your calories in some other way (preferably fat, which I know can be scary)? Lowering carbs will typically reduce cravings, though perhaps not initially. If you change the way you get your calories it may take a little while to adjust. Unfortunately, In the 75-100g carb range I can't offer a whole ton of help myself, I'm one of the keto crowd, which for most of us is 25g carbs or less, and ketosis changes a lot of things, and I'm honestly not sure how much of the "standard" advice for keto newbies will hold at a slightly higher, but still quite low carb count.

So head over to the low carb forum and ask there. It is fairly overrun by us keto folk, but there are people doing what you're talking about, with success, who will be able to help.

In general though I'd say aim for consistency, the bread and the jam some days with more strictness other days is probably going to make it harder to find success. And make sure you eat enough, changing the way you're eating drastically AND trying to seriously restrict calories at the same time makes for a hell of a challenge.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @goperfecthealth, ditto what Keith said. Eating to your meter simply means testing our bloodsugar both before meals and about 2 hours after meals. The idea being to identify those foods which cause your blood sugar to spike. Once identified, the problem foods can be eliminated or greatly reduced from your diet. A good target to would be to look for blood sugar levels no higher than 120 - 140 mmol/l about two hours after meals. Eating complex as opposed to simple carbs can delay the spike so it will be a case of adjusting until you find what works for you. The really frustrating thing about diabetes is that it's a very individual condition which is why we have to fine tune testing regimes to suit our own bodies. In addition to the excellent information sources suggested by Keith I would suggest Bloodsugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl which is an easy read and very helpful. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Have you considered going reduced carb instead of low carb? It might be a way to work your way down, or you may end up feeling great with it and not need to go low carb.

I have a max of 180 g. of total carbs per day. Within 3 months I was able to reduce my A1C from 7.3 to 6.1 and 3 more months reduced it to 5.4 where it has stayed fairly steady. I am now 15 months past diagnosis and, besides the lowered A1C, I have lost 100 lb. and feel wonderful, even though I still have 50 lb more to lose.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I haven't figured out exactly what to do. I just want to lose weight without feeling crappy. I should probably go back to see my doctor.

120 - 140 is a bit of a range. I am wondering if you all absolutely look for blood sugar levels under 120 or under 140. I think it makes a big difference in how low my carbs have to be.

I'll keep working at it, and I really appreciate you all stopping by to share your thought!

Terri

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    love to hear what other folks have to say on this.

From my reading 'healthy' BGL ranges for non-diabetics is 70-100 fasting and 70-140 post-meal. But many non-diabetics never really go over 100 even post-meal.

Ideally, we diabetics would also like to be hitting and staying in those same ranges. But the poor production of insulin, or insulin resistance makes us much more prone to sudden, drastic changes. Because when glucose enters the system our body doesn't deal with it as efficiently. Thus monitoring our intake and levels becomes so important.

I've heard people report doctors saying things like 'anything under 200 is good enough for a diabetic'. But to me that just sounds fatalistic, and like they just accepting that the condition will get us in the end.

'Immediate' dangers from high and blood sugar levels don't really kick in until below 40 or above 400. But long term dangers can occur outside of above listed 'norms'.

For me a day-to day swing of 10mmol on the fasting level is not unusual. with a +/- of nearly 20 mmol for a given week. My post-meal numbers can swing by 20 points just from meal to meal.

Much like weight loss I focus more on averages over a week to two-week range rather than daily fluctuation. (although I do monitor twice daily, unlike my weight)
  • radiii
    Options
    I've heard people report doctors saying things like 'anything under 200 is good enough for a diabetic'. But to me that just sounds fatalistic, and like they just accepting that the condition will get us in the end.

I agree with this thought of yours.

I'm just one guy, but I can say that on full keto (20g carbs or less a day, strictly adhered to for months or years), I am highly unlikely to ever register a blood sugar over 110 at any time. Some meals keep me under 100 even after eating. A1C's that are so low the testing machine in the doctor's office didn't register them one time. They had to send it off, it was a 4.3. I'm in control here. Fully. Its a nice feeling.
  • KristyRunyon81
    KristyRunyon81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Radiii. I have gone almost completely carbless and have felt great. It has been 5 months since my diagnosis. I have lost 47 lbs and my blood sugars range from 90 to 115. Make sure when you lose those carbs, you make them up with veggies or fat. I keep my calories under 1500 a day pretty consistently without many "hangry" feelings. I still have 200 lbs to lose but I am well on my way.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I appear to have suffered brain fade when I listed 120-140 mmol/l as an acceptable 2 hour post meal reading. The units should of course have been mg/dl. Just my UK brain failing to translate to the appropriate US units. Too many birthdays. In relation to the figure of 120-140 these are not targets to aim for. The idea is that any food which gives a reading in excess of the ' target' should be treated as suspect and once confirmed as suspect by repeat readings can then be eliminated from your diet. It really is a process of elimination until you find what works for you. If you wish to explore the low carb option you can find good information on The Low Carber Forum - The LCD Group. Yet another option is to explore the merits of intermittent Fasting. Google someone like Dr Jason Fung for some really interesting ideas. Hope this helps.
  • KeithF6250
    Options
    At the 6 month point I feel I have bg reasonably under control for now. Fasting bg was a bit low 73. Typical is low 80s to low 90s. After a moderate carb breakfast (15 total, 9 net) the 2 hour post was 106. After my normal lunch (7 total, 4 net) 2 hour post was 94.

Initially my doctor had me testing once a day at various times during the day. I felt I wasn't getting the info I needed with that pattern. Now I run 3 or 4 test sequences twice a week. I think I have a better handle way.

In March I had one reading over 120. That was after a dinner with a new recipe and a glass of wine. I haven't repeated that recipe.
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Terri, my home-care nurse and doctor both told me to keep my fasting blood sugar (FBS) to under 150 (and two hours after a meal). If my FBS is 147, they're both happy with that. I'm aiming for 120 just for my own edification, but I don't want to shortchange myself that will drive me to bingeing.

You're probably doing great because you have the right foods in your kitchen and pantry; I still have all the ingredients I need to make comfort foods, and I have no idea how to work them into my daily calorie/carb/sugar/fat allotment.

Being diabetic is tough. Stress, pain, even a cold can increase blood sugar readings, no matter the time of day. Monitor your health, both mentally and physically, while you're working so hard.

Linda
  • KeithF6250
    Options
    I do have a fair amount of control on food availability. I make the shopping lists with my wife's input & we grocery shop together. I make the breakfasts for both of us. Lunches I'm often on my own although I do have one or more grandchildren here fairly regularly. There are happy if I make them soup, thrilled if it's mac & cheese and don't mind if I eat something else entirely.

Dinners are a bit more of a challenge. I've eliminated rice, bread, potatoes and pasta from my own meal plans. Since we often have children or grandchildren here for dinner, I'll make them and then do something like double up on veggies. Or if I make tacos I'll have mine on a bed of lettuce rather than a shell. It has gotten easier as time has gone on.
  • LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keith, you have made wonderful adjustments, using "regular" food. You've inspired me to be able to use up the foods I have here until I can go grocery shopping again and buy better-for-me food. If I make adjustments like you do, I should be okay. Thank you!

Linda
  • KeithF6250
    Options
    You're welcome although I'm not sure I deserve any particular praise.

In return I'll offer something I've picked up reading these forums. I can't give proper attribution since I don't remember from whom I picked it up and it may have been more than one person.

"Diet" is not a verb, it it a noun. The verb is "eat." I don't diet, I eat. "Diet" is what I eat. I cannot cheat on a diet. If I eat something that was not on my plan, I didn't cheat, I didn't follow my plan. If my plan isn't achieving what I intended or I can't follow my plan, I need a new plan. My anthem is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So, looking at what you are eating, i don't think you are getting enough nutrition. I do reduced carb. Try some lean protein and cut raw vegetables that are low carb: greens, peppers, tomatoes, celery, etc. the low carb group might help. However, you may want to consult a nutritionist. Also, exercise will bring your sugar down if you are simply insulin resistant. (Best thing for it.) hope that helps.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    LCHF has been a blessing to me. I have been doing this for about 10 months. After about 4-6 months I noticed:The positives are amazing. My sugar is going down; Blood pressure is much better, especially heart rate. I am NOT hungry. For the first time I know full means you don't want anymore to eat; not that you just feel expanded and want more a few minutes later. Its hard to tell if I'm imagining things but I am noticing many things. My mind is sharper; My skin is much better; not so many spots and wrinkles.
    My dermatologist told me last spring I need to use Efudex around my hair line and face. He told me a week ago I did not need it and I think I can notice many of the rough spots are not there.
    I feel like doing some things, Depression less. Just feel better about myself.
    A very good book is Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution".
  • GoPerfectHealth
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for all the great feedback. It's funny how a couple weeks can go by and things already seem different. I took Knit and Miss advice about the chicken broth. I started eating Greek salads. I added a few more carbs at lunch. It is amazing how low carb/high fat impacts appetite.

I'll keep taking all of your advice and great ideas and report back as time goes on! Thanks again!
  • turbocoupe5150
    turbocoupe5150 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The general icky feeling when you start low-carb is typically a lack of electrolytes. It can be avoided by taking in extra sodium and potassium. Many people drink chicken broth and it completely clears up the "low carb flu". A great resource can be found at http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq