Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Had to take an extra couple days off of running; managed to make my knees pretty sore. Got a new pair of running shoes, but they may have made it worse...or I may have over done it by going on a long evening walk with my son, after running my week 2 workout. I've still been walking so I don't have to completely start over. I'm still getting my cardio in, just not quite ready to run again, yet. Hopefully they'll be better tomorrow, or the next day.
    Everyone else is doing great! Way to go, guys! Wish I was running along the Thames! I just found out about a 5K in May that I'm thinking of signing up for. I won't be done with my C25K program yet, but I don't HAVE to run the whole thing. Just see if I can. Maybe running with a couple hundred other people will be helpful?
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Have just done W2D2, it's official, I run slower than I walk B) I downloaded some pace music at 118beats/minute, felt great walking that and kept up fine, but my run pace was not matched.... At all...

118bpm is very slow for running, a very unnatural gait. Aim to increase your cadence, personally I was about 150bpm during C25K, now generally aiming around 170.

Higher cadence doesn't need to be a higher speed, but it encourages a shorter pace, so places less load on your lower legs.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between cadence and speed? Can you explain to me MeanderingMammal? I want to get this right :-)

Did W2D3 today, it amazes me how on day one it is a struggle and by day three I'm feeling good and thinking I can add the extra next week.
    I defiantly kept up with the 118bpm today, no problem. I downloaded the playlist off "RockMyRun" and there were many that were 118bpm so others must run/shuffle along to that too?
    Oh well, the aim is to improve so I am sure I will work my way up to a better cadence/speed. I am very overweight so am making my body move with a large load on board lol

• ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Completed week 4 day 2 yesterday. Having a rest now until Saturday... If I can make myself rest that is.

Also I made a big decision and decided I needed something to focus on, so I've signed up for a half marathon in October!!! Yeah... I'm crazy!!! Really hope I'll be ready for it. My running trainer at work said it's doable. Not told hubs yet... Going to see how I get on with training first!

Oh and lost a kilo in 3 weeks... Happy with that!!

Definitely doable, just be careful not to do too much and hurt yourself. Finish the c25k, then a 5 to 10k program. Even if you end up having to walk some of the half, you should be able to finish it.

Defiantly taking it slowly. Got enough time and a few different training plans to follow.

I'm out of running at moment though... Yesterday work did a C25k strength and conditioning class, showing us different stretches etc to do after running and also exercises to do on rest days... My legs are possibly going to fall off today. I am so thankful for lifts and elevators!!! Lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between cadence and speed? Can you explain to me MeanderingMammal? I want to get this right :-)

Cadence is your number of steps per minute, pace is your mins per mile or kilometre.

The research indicates a higher cadence reduces injury risk, as a result of the shorter step, so landing the forward foot just in front of, or under, the centre of mass. Optimal is seen as around 180steps per minute.

For comparison a marching pace, Quick March, is 120bpm

Your speed is driven by how much ground you cover with each step, so how hard you push off.

• Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Greetings all - just really started to get back to MFP today.
    I am on Week 3 and will move on to W3D3 tomorrow.

Today was rest day - I really wanted to run but decided it would be wiser to pace myself by just going for a one hour stroll.

Onwards!
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Following my first ever 5k last weekend (37:58 on the treadmill) I decided to try it on the road today, I don't have a timer with me when I'm running but started the stopwatch on my phone as I left home. I thought I was going at about the right pace although I did have three short walking bits (about 15-20 seconds each) but when I got back the timer said 34:22 :smiley:
  • jdctrumpet
    jdctrumpet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    W5D3 done...crushed it! I felt so good as I was walking back home that I tacked on an extra 8 minutes running and then cooled down.

I also never thought I'd say this, but I've got a pretty bad runner's tan going on. Can't wait for the school year to be over so I can get to the beach and even it out!
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    coviman wrote: »
    W5D3 done...crushed it! I felt so good as I was walking back home that I tacked on an extra 8 minutes running and then cooled down.

I also never thought I'd say this, but I've got a pretty bad runner's tan going on. Can't wait for the school year to be over so I can get to the beach and even it out!

Awesome!!
  • HannahsMother2012
    HannahsMother2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done!! Onto week 7 on Monday!! Loving it :)
  • gacooley
    gacooley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, is anyone there? Need to get off my butt and "running"!
    Really, no posts here sine April 2013?
  • Brans34
    Options
    gacooley wrote: »
    Hello, is anyone there? Need to get off my butt and "running"!
    Really, no posts here sine April 2013?

I think you need an update. Or refresh. Or something. There are new posts every day!
  • Brans34
    Options
    So I took a few days off so my knees would heal-/feel better. I started my program before it said to, because I didn't want to wait till Sunday, so I started on the 1st. I managed missing my w2d2 by 1 day, so I did that one today. I thought I'd end up having to go back and redo both days, but I crushed it! I am so thrilled with me! I ran the entire 1.5 miles! That is the first time I have EVER gone that far without a walking break. The previous record was 3/4 mile. I guess all those long walks while I was taking a break from running did a body good! Lol.

I RAN THE WHOLE THING!!!!
  • hbarnesccs
    hbarnesccs Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Brans34 wrote: »
    So I took a few days off so my knees would heal-/feel better. I started my program before it said to, because I didn't want to wait till Sunday, so I started on the 1st. I managed missing my w2d2 by 1 day, so I did that one today. I thought I'd end up having to go back and redo both days, but I crushed it! I am so thrilled with me! I ran the entire 1.5 miles! That is the first time I have EVER gone that far without a walking break. The previous record was 3/4 mile. I guess all those long walks while I was taking a break from running did a body good! Lol.

I RAN THE WHOLE THING!!!!

WAY TO GOOOOO!!!!
  • hbarnesccs
    Options
    I did w2d3 today! I did everything just as I should have (90 seconds running, 2 mins walking), but part of me is still timid to move onto next week. Has anybody repeated a week because they're afraid of the next one? Should I try w3d1 next, or repeat week 2 and build up confidence?
  • Brans34
    Options
    hbarnesccs wrote: »
    I did w2d3 today! I did everything just as I should have (90 seconds running, 2 mins walking), but part of me is still timid to move onto next week. Has anybody repeated a week because they're afraid of the next one? Should I try w3d1 next, or repeat week 2 and build up confidence?

I think you should go ahead and try it. Push yourself. If you can't make it, then go back. Wouldn't you hate it though if you could do it, but didn't because you were intimidated? I didn't think I could run the whole time today, but I pushed myself and did it. I would hate to waste a whole week. You'd be surprised at what you are truly capable of.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

The programme has been built around pushing you, but being achievable. In the majority of cases the issue is in your mind. Your mind is telling you to be scared, you need to stop allowing your mind to bully your body. If you have done week 2 then you have done week 2. After week 2 comes week 3, so do week 3. If you can't do week 3 then reevaluate.

Exercise and improvement comes from progressive overload, you might be the one that this programme does not work for, but it has worked for thousands of others. I bet you are one of the thousands not the one. Remember you must be able to hold a conversation on the run intervals, if you can't you are going too fast. Now get out there and crush this sucker!! Have fun.

• hbarnesccs
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Im about to go and try w3d1! Lady cramps are trying to talk me into staying in, but I also know I don't get to workout tomorrow. We are opening our new dinner theatre show tomorrow, so that's going to take up my time after work. Eeeeek!
  • hbarnesccs
    Options
    I DID IT! And it was actually my easiest day so far. I really surprised myself! And my pace was up! I'm far sweatier than usual, but I did it! Take that W3D1!
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I DID IT! And it was actually my easiest day so far. I really surprised myself! And my pace was up! I'm far sweatier than usual, but I did it! Take that W3D1!

SNAP!! Me too, I'm on the same week and day. SMASHED it!! Finally figured out the cadence/speed thing. I had it all wrong Meandering mammal :) I think I was confused because my foot was not striking on the beat when running, I thought I was going super slow, payed extra attention today and realized I am doing about 150bpm when running yay, thanks for the help meandering mammal :)
  • ChelleBelle2708
    ChelleBelle2708 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Week 4 completed, and I ran an extra 4 minutes on top of the last 5min run. Really pleased with myself... Now for week 5!!!