Could I be too low carb?

Options

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Lol! I don't think I would be able to do that without lime too!

Put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up. Put the lime in the coconut and drink them both up....

:D
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    What is everyone's opinion on how long to stay in keto?

I'm in it for life!

x2!

I can't handle dairy well, cheese and creams - all that good stuff. I can have butter but that seems to stall my weightloss to a certain point, the only plus side is that it doesn't make my intestines burn like cheese or cream. Are you allergic to coconuts? Unsweetened coconut milk has less carbs than unsweetened almond milk. So Delicious makes coconut, and almond creamer for coffee. I use butter and unrefined coconut oil in my decaf coffee in the morning. I also use NuStevia sweetener (splenda and other artificial sweeteners stall me).

Some meats that are high in fat:
    country style ribs, beef oxtails (21g fat and 21g protein per serving!), 73/27 hamburger meat, dark meat poultry, bacon, sausage (I have to have it uncured or my body will hate me) and eggs. I only use the yolks because having a whole egg seems to bother my intestines slightly.

My carbs basically come from avocados, spinach and other leafy greens, but today, I didn't have any vegetables. I'm starting to do very low carb before I go zero carb in May. When you're having carb flu, remember to increase your sodium. It was explained to me this way: your body has been using carbohydrates to hold onto water. When you're adjusting from a glucose burning body, to a fat burning body, your kidneys will dump a lot of water, so you need extra sodium during this time to help your body retain the water. I get carb flu bad. In general, I get bad withdrawal symptoms from anything like caffeine, alcohol and anything else.

As Dr. Atkins said, those who face the worst withdrawal symptoms often have the most to gain.

And I did! The energy and mental stability is unprecedented :smiley:
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Thank @AnarchoGen. We use coconut milk too, I haven't been drinking it lately at all. I used to make smoothies in the am but now inn hooked on the iced bpc you talked about :)

I feel better now, which kinda scares me that maybe I did something to mess it up. My brain didn't feel clear today at all, almost buzzed feeling. At some points I feel fantastic other times not so much.
  • auntstephie321
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Anyone suggest any other beverages for sodium other than broth?

Edit: FYI for those who don't already know this. DO NOT palm a half teaspoon of course sea salt and chug it down with water, it will make you vomit almost instantly. Lesson learned!
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A good chug of pickle juice usually helps me
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    That's an interesting idea, not sure I could drink pickle juice. I kinda want something sweetish
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I'm so bummed when I started low carb I had tons of energy then I went lower carb and now I feel like hell. I don't think it's keto flu cuz I don't feel like I have the flu, I'm just drained and my back ache is back which was gone. I'm trying to eat more sodium and potassium but it didn't help much. Should I up my carbs or wait it out?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It takes 4 weeks to see changes, so you're probably feeling the effects of the initial step down. And make sure you get magnesium in there too.

And I'll try to remember, but someone shared a lemon electrolyte sweetish recipe for something like gatorade. lemon, salt, sweetener, water, and something...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you think ketosis will do for you vs a more moderate low-carb diet.

My personal preference is a moderate level of carbs because it's more sustainable for me and it still seems effective. Whenever I get a taste of ketones in my mouth, I intentionally consume more carbs to get myself out of that level of ketosis.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm so bummed when I started low carb I had tons of energy then I went lower carb and now I feel like hell. I don't think it's keto flu cuz I don't feel like I have the flu, I'm just drained and my back ache is back which was gone. I'm trying to eat more sodium and potassium but it didn't help much. Should I up my carbs or wait it out?

Oh and I almost forgot @Stbarber1 . Up your fats not your carbs! Your body will thank you. whenever my body isn't happy with my eating, I fat load and sodium load. it has saved me every time!
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I make an electrolyte drink! Fresh lime juice, stevia, baking soda, pink salt... I think that's it. It's not as low carb as I would like but I use for emergencies, and it works great for me. & Yes, get more fat! As much fat as you can. I just got done eating some ribs & broccoli with 1.5 TBSP coconut oil on top
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    And apparently I'm excessively irritable. I just yelled at my bf when he asked if we were having bacon for dinner. I let him know unequivocally that it was my bacon not everyone's bacon.

Wow, kinda shocked myself
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    it was my bacon not everyone's bacon.

I...I...I didnt even know there was an option for 'everyone's' bacon. Always thought it was all mine!

There are two ways you can go with this. Either say "Bacon, My bacon!" in Bubbles voice from Finding Nemo. Or you can go geek and say "All your bacon are belong to me"
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Alliwan LOL! I let all know that it's mine! Btw: I cook my bacon in the oven and it's so much easier to make a big batch to keep in the fridge, or freezer (if it lasts that long). Won't cook it on the stove top anymore!
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    @Alliwan lol i went with a look of disgust on my face and "No, i'm making bacon for myself, what I can't have bacon if i want it"

He looked stunned and backed away and said "no thats cool, no problem"
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

I...I...I didnt even know there was an option for 'everyone's' bacon. Always thought it was all mine!

There are two ways you can go with this. Either say "Bacon, My bacon!" in Bubbles voice from Finding Nemo. Or you can go geek and say "All your bacon are belong to me"

I read this and heard Smeagol's voice "Precious, my precious..." LMFAO I've seen Nemo, but don't remember the others.

"This is not the bacon you're looking for" followed by the Jedi mind trick wave....
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Alliwan lol i went with a look of disgust on my face and "No, i'm making bacon for myself, what I can't have bacon if i want it"

He looked stunned and backed away and said "no thats cool, no problem"

This is awesome. My guy would fight me for the bacon though, but since I know that, I always make double what I actually want. That way I can share without being a being a total b!tch...LOL Plus if I'm cooking it, I can nibble before it makes it to him.

@Karlottap I do the oven thing, too, but some odd pieces (I get the weird shaped stuff to save money - ends and remnants - irregulars, etc.) don't cook well that way...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I read this and heard Smeagol's voice "Precious, my precious..." LMFAO I've seen Nemo, but don't remember the others.

"This is not the bacon you're looking for" followed by the Jedi mind trick wave....

My husband would hug me if I did the Jedi one. I've actually done it before with other things. I don't remember what offhand, but I did it without missing a beat, gesture and all, and my husband just stopped and was like, "I love you." :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

My husband would hug me if I did the Jedi one. I've actually done it before with other things. I don't remember what offhand, but I did it without missing a beat, gesture and all, and my husband just stopped and was like, "I love you." :D

Unashamed nerd/dork/geek/gamer here. :) Hee hee.