Weekly Post - 12th April to 18th April

Options
13»

Replies

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Afternoon everyone! FD#2 today.. I've had one cup of coffee at around 3pm. Getting nervous about weigh in. Haven't lost in weeks. Starting to think the weight I lost was just from starting Thyroid meds, and not so much the 5:2 at this point. Now that I've been on the meds for awhile, I haven't lost anything. Makes me a bit nervous, to be quite honest. I have started walking on my lunch break, and I ran last night for the first time, so I hope that this will help. You'd think it's as easy as calories in/out, but I'm still not losing. I need to get better about tracking EVERYTHING too! Sigh....
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    ran for the first time *in a while* not, ever. LOL
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    - @HollandOats Oh no!!!! I've done that before too. I usually make that a fast day lol. We have butterfly and fairy and dinosaur chicken nuggets here lmfao
    - @flumi_f yep totally agree. Nature make me feel better too. Hanging out with the trees and watching just how awesome mother nature really is tends to somehow make me feel better. Almost like she's giving me a big hug
    - @angela233Z welcome back to the awesomeness that is the 5:2!!!!!
    - @ACSL3 how'd you go with the b2b fasting?

I've only been able to get over fast in this week. But I've had some awesome days and kept to 1300 or less so it's not the end of the world lol. Yesterday I had continence training and had a bit of a rant about the fact that the snacks they gave us were chocolates and lollies. Now next time I need to be catered for, they are going to give me a healthier alternative.
    On the other side of it. I think it's know all the pee jokes now lmfao

Have a great day / arvo / night depending on your timezone :smiley:
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    angela233Z wrote: »
    Hi - I am back - I went on an all inclusive vacation in Decemeber, then holidays -etc and stopped doing 5:2
    but now i am back and eager to start again.

I am so happy to see so many of you doing so well.

angela
    Ang! good to see you back!

• orlcam
    Options
    Haha.. I wound up having penguin shaped chicken nuggets for breakfast - coworker to the rescue! I'm not ashamed to admit they were delicious... But why penguins? Why wouldn't you shape them like, oh I don't know, chickens? The wonders of the universe...

Impromptu fast for the win!! B) - @snaps27
    According to the Nimrod logs of Sir Ernest Shackleton...penguin does taste a lot like chicken.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    orlcam wrote: »
    angela233Z wrote: »
    Hi - I am back - I went on an all inclusive vacation in Decemeber, then holidays -etc and stopped doing 5:2
    but now i am back and eager to start again.

I am so happy to see so many of you doing so well.

angela
    Ang! good to see you back!

Thank you - I am so excited to see so many of you still here.
    I am doing my fast day today - 7:30 pm here, so I think i will make it.
    Today was actually much easier than I remember the fasts being.

That was one reason I was reluctant to start again, I seem to remember being tired/cranky on fast days. I am tired today, but I don't think it is the fast as much as the previous few days.
    And not sure if I am cranky as I have not had any human interaction :-) (that is a good thing, I needed a day to myself)

Looking forward to seeing all of lose weight.

angela
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    - @ACSL3 how'd you go with the b2b fasting?

Only about half way through. Yesterday went well and I stayed under my goal. Got up and worked out this morning - will see how the rest of the day goes. Not very hungry today which is good. Had a hunger pain just now, but drank some flavored water and it went away, yay ;)

I ordered Dr. Mosley's book and just got it a couple of days ago. Finished it yesterday - it's a great book! I read that he did a 4 day fast where he ate nothing for 4 days. If he can do that, then I can do a b2b fast :smiley:
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    Woah 4 days? In think I would have attacked and eaten a passing kangaroo by that stage lmfao
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Welcome back angela :)

@ACSL3. get enough protein. After some point of time, 3 days or so ? (someone correct me!) the body starts breaking down tissue as well as stored fat. It takes stored fat first though. So no worries. This is why I don't like long water fasts.
  • orlcam
    Options
    In a small study (11 subjects) discussed on Mosley's site they said 3 days of no eating resulted in an average increase to metabolism of 14%...drinking just water. I think this was a sedentary study also. Here's a link:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/food-thought-fast-day-starvation-mode/

I'm sure body fat % comes into play...it seems logical that if it is very low then your body would have to start hitting muscle sooner, but still somewhere past 3 days. Another issue that comes into play is reducing calories long term, you're eventually going to cross a line. It's why so many body builders supplement with branched-chain amino acids and protien powders.

@sijomial and @Foamroller have more info and experience on this than I do.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Kind of a faux fast today, where I'll likely eat over, but work out to make it up... I know that's not how it works, but I need the food energy to get things accomplished today and this evening.

If I didn't do that today, I'd only have one fast day this week, and I really want to get into the habit of having two.
    Hopefully next week I can "keep it real". :)

I'm finding that this 5:2 requires more planning than just a restrictive calorie diet, but that's fine with me. I get a nice sense of accomplishment from making the plan and (sometimes) sticking to it. (Actually, maybe it's not that it's more planning than a proper restrictive calorie diet, but it's more planning than I did when just trying to restrict calories, hahaha)

Sometimes I just open MFP to look at my completed entry (when I've had a really good day)... There aren't many things I do in life that have clear metrics where I can look and say "Yes, I did this, and this was the result, and it's because I made it happen." It really does butter my biscuit.. :D
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you want to reconfirm that fasting is «good».
    There was an interesting article:

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com//health/fasting-for-three-days-renews-entire-immune-system-protects-cancer-patients-remarkable-new-study-finds

I don't think 3 days is necessary. I'm guessing the 5:2 mimic some of the effects, just to a lesser degree than 3 days. With less discomfort ;)
  • HollandOats
    Options
    Note to self: If you're trying to not be bloated the next day, probably don't eat half a cup of pickled jalapenos at lunchtime the day prior... wups.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Oh I was never going to do 4 days - I just thought it was interesting that he did. I actually didn't even end up doing a b2b fast. I was good all day yesterday and saved up my 500 calories for dinner. I gave in to temptation and went back for seconds and ended up eating around 1150 instead. Oh well. I remember reading that Dr. Mosley said fasting for 12 hrs was helpful and since I didn't eat until the evening I definitely did 12hrs. And I worked out yesterday so I still had a deficit of about 1000 calories, so I'm not considering it a failure, just a bump in the road :smiley:

Eating normally today (Saturday) and then will see how I feel tomorrow morning to see if I want to fast Sunday or not.

I opened your link in anther window @Foamroller so I can read it - looks interesting.
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    iwannabeonthebeach Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Note to self: If you're trying to not be bloated the next day, probably don't eat half a cup of pickled jalapenos at lunchtime the day prior... wups.

Blergh!! How did you manage that? I ate a tiny bit of jalapeno by accident the other day and i thought my head was on fire! :D
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Had a week off tracking and exercise as visiting my mum and she doesn't do diets, very ready to get back on track and looking forward to a fast tomorrow, how things change ;)
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    Options
    Hi guys!!!!!! Just popping in to say hi
  • HollandOats
    Options

Blergh!! How did you manage that? I ate a tiny bit of jalapeno by accident the other day and i thought my head was on fire! :D

Just saw this! Pickled jalapenos aren't nearly so hot as fresh ones... they come in a jar with vinegar like... well... pickles...

They still have a little kick, but I mixed them with mashed avocado (which tempers the kick) and cut up grilled chicken for a new take on chicken salad... it was so good, I'm actually having that for lunch today (fast day). Half a cup of pickled jalapenos has like 10 calories, but adds a lot of flavor dimension and some appreciated texture ( : Makes me feel like I'm eating more than I am!