2015 MFP Grand Tour Challenge - SIgnup and Discussion Thread...

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
MFP_GrandTour_Challenge_Logo.jpg

For those of you who didn't join in with last years challenge, what I propose is that as a team of 9 riders we try and ride between us a distance each day equal to or greater than the distance of that day’s stage in the Grand Tours (The Giro d'Italia, Tour De France and La Vuelta Espana). The person in the team who rides the largest total km’s gets the Leaders Jersy, the person achieving the fastest average speed overall gets the Sprinters jersey and the person who posts the highest total ascent figure in metres gets King of the Mountains jersey.

To verify the distances/speeds/ascents rides would ideally need to be logged via some form of GPS and posted to Strava. As I’d be looking at average speeds and climbs, I think that it’s only appropriate to restrict this challenge to outdoor mileage only.

So – anyone up for a challenge ??

Hopefully I've given enough time for people to see this, and sign up - who knows - we might even have enough people for more than one team despite the fact that MFP have done their level best to make a complete and utter bollocks of the communities on here, and pretty much ruined the whole group thing we had going for the last couple of years...

Replies

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Giro 2015's Route / Distances are as follows:

16563796074_7047032dc4_o.jpg
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm in. As usual I will be away during the week some weeks, but, I will do my far share of mileage and climbs.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Sure i'm in :smile:
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't miss it! :)
  • Bram61
    Bram61 Posts: 69 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Count me in please.
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I believe I my leg has recovered enough to enroll, please count me it.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    With weekends largely being tied up with house renovations I'd pretty much only be posting commuting miles, so although I'd be happy to join in I don't want any team having to carry me, so I won't be offended at all to sit this one out unless a team would be a rider short in which case commuter miles are better than no miles (sorry Mark, KMs !!!).
  • hawkeyegal1995
    hawkeyegal1995 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I'm in. It's a tradition at this point!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Agree with Hawkeyegal, the grand tours wouldn't be the same with out it.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yep I'm in, just don't shout at me if I do a lot of miles, in training for next year :), Franny your more then welcome on my team, every mile counts.

Disclaimer: Away in London for a three day birthday trip on the 13-15th May with my bird :).
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Frannybobs wrote: »
    ..I'd pretty much only be posting commuting miles, so although I'd be happy to join in I don't want any team having to carry me

Fran... Commuting distances are often the most valuable - most teams seem to have no problem hitting the targeted distances on weekends - lots of clubruns and weekend warrior riding happens - but through the week, that's sometimes a different story.

Lets not get too hung up on the massive distances folks - sure, it was pretty amazing that we as teams did 2 and sometimes 3 times the expected distance, but I'd hate this challenge to get to the point where people feel uncomfortable with signing up because they're not going to knock in 250km or more every week... I certainly can't commit to the same distance as I've done for the last couple of years worth of challenges - at the moment i'm pretty much stuffed after 25-30km (and that's in favourable weather conditions - I simply DAREN'T ride in the kind of weather we had for most of last year's Giro for example...)

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Cool, then I'm in - cheers guys :smile:
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Defo need something like this to refocus after the last 2 weeks calamity.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As usual, I'm in - No 303 again please ;)

I promise to put my #SoapBox away after my little rant on the newsfeed :D
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    As usual, I'm in - No 303 again please ;)

I promise to put my #SoapBox away after my little rant on the newsfeed :D

Rant away all you like Clive - I've got past the stage where I get annoyed by people who sign up then CBA to even send a note from their Mam to say "they can't play out this month"... I just think they're more to be pitied than scolded frankly.

Nothing against anyone who has a genuine reason for withdrawing, just the idle feckers that get cold feet at the prospect of actually being accountable for their rides for a 3 week period, 3 times a year.

So - anyone who's prepared to wave a big stick and kick some *kitten* on my behalf is most welcome to do so.

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm in again. My work schedule is going to be awful this year, but I can pretty much squeeze in 10 to 20 miles per day, and longer on weekends.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'd love to do this again but will be sans' bike for at least 5-7 days of this including the first and last weekends due to pre-planned vacations so I'll bow out. In the immortal words of so many racers: choosing to sit out the Giro in order to focus my energies on the Tour.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Yes! I had to search through TBY's thread to find this link and I'm so glad I did. Please! I really need the motivation for riding!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Was going to pass, but it's just too damn fun...

And I've missed y'all!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    In. Gotta get those miles down for CX season. :p