Anyone re-starting like me?

Options
Roxie8611
Roxie8611 Posts: 39 Member
Hi Everyone!

I started this back in January and lost 13lbs in 3 weeks. As is the way, life interrupted....

Not anymore, there is too much coming up and in all honesty I want to feel better in myself as I know the benefits. Just completed my first week and successfully achieved 2 fasts and am planning a third tomorrow.

Is anyone else back on the wagon after a break?

Replies

• karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I'm notjumping back in the wagon, but i just wanted to say welcome back! And woah 13lbs in 3 weeks!! Holy *kitten* that's a huge effort.
    I'm restarting weighing my foods again. I'll hopefully see the scales move that way
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am jumping back from today starting with a fast day :)
    Hopfully the last time I will jump back into any way of eating.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @itsgottago86, I'm not restarting 5:2, but I am restarting trying to lose weight. I was doing the typical, MFP, restrict by 500 calories every day thing - I had been doing it on and off for several years and about a month ago went back to being "on." I discovered a thread that discussed 5:2 and decided to look more into it and then joined this group and decided to try it. So I'm not quite restarting in the same way you are, but I am restarting with a new method - and a method that has allowed me to lose 8lbs in a month which is way better than any time before :smiley:
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This is my second go at this and just had a week off and jumping back on, thats the beauty of this, you don't have to adapt your whole life, just 2 days a week ;)
  • Roxie8611
    Options
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Thanks guys
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Starting over in earnest tomorrow (having a practice day today!!) ..
    Been doing Johnson Up Day Down Day (JUDD) and 5:2 since Moseley's show on the BBC but plateaued... Now trying with a low-carb kickstart after re-reading some science about fats and proteins...
    Good luck everyone.
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am going to start this week. Never done 5:2 before but I love my sweet things and I am struggling on a daily basis to stick to it.
    So my main questions are on the non fast days what is the calorie allowence?

Also @itsgottago86 well done your weight loss in Jan. But can I ask how much have u put back on with stopping?

I am hoping to lose 1 stone before 6th June x
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    @hnyzthms - Different strokes for different folks on non fast days. Here are your possiblities

If you have good portion control - try not counting at all and eat intuitively

if not - count and eat +/- your maintainance cals

If you don't start losing after a few weeks, adjust accordingly...count and or lower your allowance a little or increase your exercise.

If you are short, older, close to goal or inactive, the famous 2000cal average TDEE will probably be too high for you. If you are tall, rather heavy or extremely active 2000 won't be enough.

Average expected loss is about 1lb per week. Again if you are heavy or haven't been on a cal deficit before starting, you might lose a bit quicker at the beginning. 14lb in 6-7 weeks is quite aggressive for 5:2. It's a longterm lifestyle not a quick fix.

Also consult the links on the post at the top of the group page.
  • Roxie8611
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    I am going to start this week. Never done 5:2 before but I love my sweet things and I am struggling on a daily basis to stick to it.
    So my main questions are on the non fast days what is the calorie allowence?

Also @itsgottago86 well done your weight loss in Jan. But can I ask how much have u put back on with stopping?

I am hoping to lose 1 stone before 6th June x

Hi, I've put on 6lbs since jan but feel much much bigger. The beauty of 5:2 is that you lose inches as well as weight. However when you gain, you get back the inches AND weight. Not giving up this time
  • NadiaMirabilia
    NadiaMirabilia Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am restarting every other day!! Welcome back! B)
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I started this back in January and lost 13lbs in 3 weeks. As is the way, life interrupted....

Not anymore, there is too much coming up and in all honesty I want to feel better in myself as I know the benefits. Just completed my first week and successfully achieved 2 fasts and am planning a third tomorrow.

Is anyone else back on the wagon after a break?
    MEEEEEEE! Like you so much has happened over the winter-heartbreaking stuff, and now the pity party is OVER! Let's rock on, sista!
  • Justafewtoloose
    Justafewtoloose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello. I had to give it up for a few months as well. Back again. Good luck
  • startingoveragain2020
    Options
    I'm back on the 5:2 now as well after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Ready to shift some serious pounds! Good luck to everyone.
  • Jackie712me
    Jackie712me Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just restarted 5:2 after Christmas etc and putting on few pounds. Just finished my first week and lost 3lbs yeah!
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did it for 90 days end of last year and lost 12 lbs. I'm starting back today after going off it for a few months. I've put back on 8 lbs in the past 2 months so I need to get serious about this again! But we can do this! :)
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Im starting again but i wanted to ask does it matter if you have light snacks throughout day that add up to 500 cals or does it need to be one meal? And does there need to be a 16 hour gap between last meal one day and following days breakfast?
  • cal0rina
    cal0rina Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    Im starting again but i wanted to ask does it matter if you have light snacks throughout day that add up to 500 cals or does it need to be one meal? And does there need to be a 16 hour gap between last meal one day and following days breakfast?

You get more health benefits from fasting for longer (but not days and days) but the beauty of 5:2 is that you make it fit you, I wait as long as possible to eat on a fast day as eating stimulates my appetite, but usually have an apple sliced thinly to take the edge off midafternoon and I can make that apple last hours. And you are fasting while you are asleep, I often am not that hungry the day after and again leave eating as long as possible. There are a number of threads on 16:8 where your eating window is just 8 hours.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I finished losing my weight over a year ago. Was maintaining for awhile counting. Stopped counting and stayed within my window. Brutal winter meant no exercise for me, since I can't tolerate the cold and I'm all about walking. Few more pounds and I reached my limit so now I'm back on 5:2 and then plan on going back to 6:1.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    How much did you lose and how long did it take you if you dont mind me asking.
  • Skippyonz
    Skippyonz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm restarting the 5:2 again, I lost about 8 pound back in February over 6 weeks, I was loosing about 1-2 pound a week. I have just under 2 stone to go.

My plan was: 2 days 500 calories, then 4 days 1200 calories. I allowed myself an unlimited allowance on the 7th day. This means I could look forward to that take out or meal out on a Saturday without feeling guilty, I usually wouldn't go over 2500 calories on that day. If I stuck to this and went to the gym twice a week (HIT cardio and Strength Training (spent an hour at the gym)) I found I would lose 2 pound. It also helped me lose the pounds to exercise on my fasting days.

Usually when I diet I want the things I can't have, but, with this there is no deprivation, if you want crisps/chocolate that's fine, just calorie count it. Also it's nice looking forward to your Saturday!:)

Starting back Monday, went to Tenerife for a week and slowing getting back to reality!:)