Free weights verse machine

Options
Which is better free weights or machines. I'm just starting out and was going to use the weight machines at my gym but have heard from some they are no use? Any thoughts? Just don't want to waste my time in something if it won't work.

Replies

• MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    They both function equally well. But sometimes it's hard to work all the muscle groups with free weights alone. A combination of the two would be preferable. The key with weight lifting is doing it SLOWLY; many times you will see people at the gym rushing to get through their reps. But it has been proven that slower reps actually work the muscle better and you will get faster and better results. My brother (who is going to school to be a sports physical therapist) says to lift the weight normally, then let it down very slowly too. Resistance bands are also a great investment because they give you more resistance and you can use them at home in front of the TV. Just remember to increase your weights every 4-6 weeks to avoid a plateau. And, do different machines and dumb bell workouts every time you go because your body will adapt very quickly if you do the exact same thing every time. Good luck hun! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Free weights work more muscles because not only do you have to push/pull the weight, but you also have to stabilize it. So in my book that makes them better.
  • nickmast78
    Options
    Free weights recruit more supporting muscle fibers. Machines have less risk of injury.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Free weights work more muscles because not only do you have to push/pull the weight, but you also have to stabilize it. So in my book that makes them better.

I'd have to agree with you there. A lot of the work is pushing/pulling the weight but keeping it stable and in a controlled movement takes effort too. You may find that using machines only and then going to free weights may seem harder and result in less weight being able to be lifted.

Machines are definitely handy though if you don't have a spotter :)
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    All of the above! I would add that this is an important time to make this decision. What you end up preferring has a lot to do with what you start on. I used to advise beginners to start out with the machines to avoid injury, etc. But now I would advise starting out with mainly free weights but with the advice of a good book, videos or, even better, trainer. With free weights having good form is everything. With machines, this is basically done for you automatically. There is no harm in having a combination of both in your routine. It doesn't have to be all one or the other.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Free weights are superior in every fashion because you get more muscle groups involved in the movement. This leads to greater calorie burn, greater strength gains, and you're hitting your core hard with conventional resistance exercises.
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Free weights recruit more supporting muscle fibers. Machines have less risk of injury.

This is the key because with free weights usually depending on the exercise you should use a spotter, which most people I have seen do not and this leads to an increase risk of injury or improper lifting. No matter what make sure your doing the exercise correctly and what I mean by this is that you do use accessory movements to complete your workout. So use both, plus it always good to change it up so your muscle don't accommodate to the workout.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, go with the machines. They provide more stability and are better for safety reasons if you're not experienced in weightlifting.

Free weights work more muscles and burn more calories. But don't just start out all by yourself. Get a trainer to help you in the beginning.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Free weights are superior in every fashion because you get more muscle groups involved in the movement. This leads to greater calorie burn, greater strength gains, and you're hitting your core hard with conventional resistance exercises.

^^ This.

Nothing hits you like a full barbell squat. Except a deadlift. IT comes pretty close. But you should do both.

Strength training without deadlifts and squats is like ***** without your ****.

ps- don't start with machines. Why waste your time? Start free weights. Learn form while doing light weight.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Nothing hits you like a full barbell squat. Except a deadlift. IT comes pretty close. But you should do both.

Strength training without deadlifts and squats is like ***** without your ****.

ps- don't start with machines. Why waste your time? Start free weights. Learn form while doing light weight.

werd xthumb.gif

IMO, if you're not doing squats and you're not doing pullups, what's the point? 2 exercises, full body.