What's the difference? 100g, 50g, 20g, zero?

Options
gsp90x
gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
Ok, so besides the obvious, that they are chosen carb limits people are using, what is the differnce? Why would one person choose one over the other?

Lately I've been telling myself, well... don't stress too much, apparently as long as you eat under 100g, you "could" stay in ketosis. I think this is a cop out though because I just can't stop the cravings. I don't necessarily go binge out, but might end up around 30 or so instead of the 15 I was aiming for. Cravings for sugar definitely getting noticeable as is hunger.

So, I will attempt to answer my own question an any feedback is appreciated!

I'm suspecting really, the limits are based on personal observation for whatever the observer is trying to accoplish (most often being weight loss?) So someone monitors their carb intake versus when they stop loosing weight? Then stick under that amount? Or recently some people talking about having sugar craving only finally going away when they go zero carb? Is that the difference? Carb intake based on observations in relation to what you're trying to do?

Some how I had this notion that the less carbs, the faster you lose weight (akin the CICO) and I can't shake that notion, but I don't think that is true. I think wabmester or... dragonworlf...or baconsalve... somebody had pointed that out one day maybe??

Anyway, if someone would like to sort me out, that would give me some great direction in trying to modify where I'm at. I'm not observing the results I want, so I need to modify, but first I need clues as to what to modify. :)

Grateful for any and all input.

Thank you!

Replies

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is an easy answer to that. I can tell you only what I have discovered. The less carbs I eat, the less carbs I want. The cravings go away the lower carb I go, the "cut off" number for me being somewhere around 30g total. I imagine this varies in specifics from person to person, but seems to be a consistent trait. As far as weight loss goes, I think that is a different animal altogether, many variables involved. Health issues, sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, some people have to cut out dairy, it is all so individualized.....I still haven't quite found what works for me. I know this didn't really answer you, but hopefully gave you some perspective.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think the fewer carbs you eat, the less you will crave them. Every body finds its own tolerance level for carbs, so ymmv. Which in turn means you will eat more fat and protein, and this will be enough to satisfy you. Your weight loss speed will depend on many factors, one being the deficit between calories in and your TDEE (usual amount of calories burned each day). Many people do low carb for weight loss at first, but later on it is to keep feeling healthy! and not gain back what was lost... ;) I lost my 10 kg on a 50 -100 daily carb intake, mostly losing in spurts into the lower range and maintaining when in the higher, I think.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and following the thread because I'm in a similar boat. Not really sure what low carb range I should be in. My doctor recently told me I was pre-diabetic, so I'm trying to make some great changes to be a healthier person. This would mean lowering my blood sugar levels and losing weight. I've been eating less processed foods and more fruits and veggies, though I just realized yesterday how many carbs are in these fruits I've been eating. Yikes! I haven't actually been counting carbs yet as I've just joined MFP today. I know I've been eating a lot less than I used to, though, because my body feels kinda blah. Hope we're able to get some answers.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    don't stress too much, apparently as long as you eat under 100g, you "could" stay in ketosis

That's going to be super subjective though, and you'd only *really* know if you were in deep ketosis and well adapted for a while, then slowly upped your carbs while doing blood ketone tests to find the level at which you leave exit the ketotic state.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It IS very personal, based on your personal tolerance and medical conditions. I started off with the resources on Atkins.com and followed that (start at 20g. net, then work up until you stop losing, then cut back by 5g I believe until you lose again). Then I did some other things and then went Paleo/Primal. So now for carb limits I follow this chart. marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/#axzz3Y60GefVa. Where I am on the chart depends on how I am feeling, what season it is, and what my fitness is like. The more active I am the more I can tolerate, and if I am a winter couch potato I try to do less. I also base my tweaks on GI health. Sometimes I can't process too many carbs and cut back.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I guess the first consideration for me is that the body needs glucose. Not a lot, but not zero. The brain can run on some ketones, but not just ketones. I estimated that our minimal need is about 40g of glucose per day, but I don't know if that has been measured scientifically.

So we have 4 levels of carbs we can talk about:

1) Excess carbs. Anything over 150g/d or so can't be fully utilized (if you're sedentary), so the excess gets stored as fat. We all agree this isn't good. Even worse is when you're in a chronic state of excess CALORIES as well as excess carbs. That's probably the main cause of our metabolic problems.

2) Just enough carbs. Around 150g/d. This is healthy, especially combined with a calorie deficit. A lot of people can lose weight on this level of carbs.

3) Too few carbs to meet all of your metabolic needs. Under 150g or so. This will eventually reduce your glycogen stores and you'll start making ketones. The brain will use up to 80g of those ketones. The rest will be excreted in urine until your muscles are "keto-adapted." All of your consumed carbs will also be used by the brain.

4) Way too few carbs. Below 40g/d. This will force the body to make glucose via gluconeogenesis. This appears to be associated with an increase in cortisol (stress hormone).

In terms of weight loss, any level below 150g can work. It'll shift your focus to protein and other high-satiety sources, and it'll shift you away from junk carbs.

To me, the level below 40g/d is potentially a danger zone because of the stress response. It was intended only for weight loss "induction." I don't know how it morphed into a long-term target.

Above 120-150g is also a danger zone for obvious reasons of over-consumption, junk food, cravings, etc.

The sweet spot is somewhere between 40g-120g/d. At that level, for me it becomes a question of the quality of your carb intake rather than the quantity. Avoid triggers that cause cravings and you should be fine.

Everybody says "find your own level," but if you're eating, say, broccoli at 40g/d vs more broccoli at 80g/d, does it really make a difference to your diet success? It's what you eat that matters more than the quantity when we're talking about that small level of carb intake.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    The less carbs I eat, the less carbs I want. The cravings go away the lower carb I go, the "cut off" number for me being somewhere around 30g total.

This is the level I've found to be viable, as well. I don't have cravings anymore. When I was higher low carb (<120g/day), I was torturing myself. Every meal was focused on how many carbs I was allowed. Could I have a piece of toast if I traded back some of my broccoli? That kind of obsessive counting and thinking. Aiming lower is far easier for me. I'm not teasing my body with tiny servings of pasta or bread, and the math is easier.

• wabmester
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The "teasing" is the problem, not the level. Even at my relatively high levels, I had zero pasta, zero rice (except for sushi!), zero bread, zero baked goods, etc. I had no cravings from the veggies, berries, or nuts. Not even the chocolate. :)
  • wabmester
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I estimated that our minimal need is about 40g of glucose per day, but I don't know if that has been measured scientifically.

I'm sure I'm the only one interested in this, but it has been measured, and I found it tonight. They measured how much glucose we make after over a month of starvation: 33g (I was close!). 14g of that was made from protein, and 19g from glycerol. Apparently, it's mostly from protein in the early stages.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC292907/pdf/jcinvest00272-0077.pdf
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I estimated that our minimal need is about 40g of glucose per day, but I don't know if that has been measured scientifically.

I'm sure I'm the only one interested in this, but it has been measured, and I found it tonight. They measured how much glucose we make after over a month of starvation: 33g (I was close!). 14g of that was made from protein, and 19g from glycerol. Apparently, it's mostly from protein in the early stages.

Doesn't that just mean you don't need carbs to produce the glucose the brain needs?
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Professor Tim Noakes says that for people who are really sick, around 25 grams of carbs a day is best. He's type 2 diabetic (contracted prior to his knowledge of low carb) and that's what he sticks to every day.
    biznews.com/health/2015/01/19/complete-idiots-guide-tim-noakes-diet-banting-lchf/
    "What carb-fat-protein ratio is best?

Depends on how sick you are. If you’re diabetic, we say 20% to 30% protein, 60% to 70% fat, 5% carbs. The sicker you are, the more fat you need, because fat is insulin neutral. The more insulin sensitive (resistant) you are, the more fat you can eat, because even when the pancreas fails, fat is the only fuel you can metabolise safely without requiring insulin. It’s perfect for blood sugar control. We don’t tell people how many grams to eat, except for carbs – around 25g if you are really sick."

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    we talking net or total carbs?
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    we talking net or total carbs?
    Prof Noakes is South African and I believe this site is saying that South African foods measure in total carbs healthsociety.co.za/article.asp?ID=591

For myself, I only count total carbs, I can't be bothered doing any more maths than I'm already having to do by weighing and recording my food.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I, personally had never heard of insulin resistance, until joining this group, and I'm a registered nurse. Though I believe I was headed down that road, as my a1c was above 5. Not 100% sure without an actual diagnosis. I began lc at 100g or less and found, pretty quickly, that I felt better the lower I went. I have settled at twenty where I seem to feel best, and don't have any cravings. I have some other health issues, Fibromyalgia being one, and I have seen an improvement (not gone, but better) there. Still have pain if I overdo the activity, but I'm recovering from it quicker. This has been a very welcome side effect of LCHF, for me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I, personally had never heard of insulin resistance, until joining this group, and I'm a registered nurse. Though I believe I was headed down that road, as my a1c was above 5. Not 100% sure without an actual diagnosis. I began lc at 100g or less and found, pretty quickly, that I felt better the lower I went. I have settled at twenty where I seem to feel best, and don't have any cravings. I have some other health issues, Fibromyalgia being one, and I have seen an improvement (not gone, but better) there. Still have pain if I overdo the activity, but I'm recovering from it quicker. This has been a very welcome side effect of LCHF, for me.

How are you an RN and have never heard of insulin resistance? :huh:
  • wabmester
    Options

Doesn't that just mean you don't need carbs to produce the glucose the brain needs?

That's one way to look at it. :)

It also means that your body will fight like hell to get the glucose it needs. When you restrict carbs too much, the body thinks it's starving. It needs to use hormones to signal the organs to switch to "all hands on deck -- make me some glucose!" mode. It appears to use cortisol, the stress hormone, for this signalling. That sort of makes sense if you think about it -- you also need extra glucose for the fight or flight response.

And THAT was my point about consuming enough carbs so that it doesn't have to stress out about the lack of glucose.

I could be wrong, though. There was some indication that the body gives up on getting any glucose from the liver, and it switches to the kidneys for the emergency glucose. I need to read more on the subject.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Dragonwolf I have heard of metabolic syndrome but had never heard the term insulin resistance before. Granted I haven't worked in ten years (been playing housewife), so it's possible this is a newer descriptive diagnosis they are using. I will always be a nurse though.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    http://www.ketotic.org/2012/07/ketogenic-diets-and-stress-part-i.html
    One recent myth, prevalent in the Paleo Diet community, is that the keto diet is stressful to the body ¹. This idea arises from misunderstandings about cortisol — “the stress hormone”. There are two different arguments we know of, and this post will address the first one, the “gluconeogenesis requires cortisol” myth.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    @FIT_goat did you mean to post this in the "does counting calories" thread??
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    @FIT_goat did you mean to post this in the "does counting calories" thread??

Nope, it's in response to the posts by @wabmester concerning cortisol and glucose needs for people consuming less than 40 g/day.

Posts such as:
    Way too few carbs. Below 40g/d. This will force the body to make glucose via gluconeogenesis. This appears to be associated with an increase in cortisol (stress hormone).
    [. . .]
    To me, the level below 40g/d is potentially a danger zone because of the stress response. It was intended only for weight loss "induction." I don't know how it morphed into a long-term target.
    It also means that your body will fight like hell to get the glucose it needs. When you restrict carbs too much, the body thinks it's starving. It needs to use hormones to signal the organs to switch to "all hands on deck -- make me some glucose!" mode. It appears to use cortisol, the stress hormone, for this signalling. That sort of makes sense if you think about it -- you also need extra glucose for the fight or flight response.

And THAT was my point about consuming enough carbs so that it doesn't have to stress out about the lack of glucose.

I could be wrong, though. There was some indication that the body gives up on getting any glucose from the liver, and it switches to the kidneys for the emergency glucose. I need to read more on the subject.