EXERCISE ~ What exercise are you doing?

Options
124»

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am not as bad as chamblisk, but I am 4 miles to the nearest gas station and 12 miles to the nearest grocer. Ah, country life, lol, the peace is nice, but sometimes the travel sucks.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hahaha...yup, we have a gas station closer :-) Two actually. One in each small town on the way to the "city" (which has ONE regular grocery store, one WalMart-not a superstore-and several small Dollar General/Mini-Mart type)
  • bethlauren8
    bethlauren8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Okay, seriously chamblisk... knee deep snow, and far from everything - where are you?
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Upstate NY. We have more deer and cows than we do people :-)
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    I used to spend my summers in Rockland County with my grandparents, but I'm pretty sure you are more upstate than that! I tend to joke that people who are from that far upstate are not from NY, they are from Canada!! ;) That's what you get from a Queens girl!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I live in rural Alabama, no snow, but more critters than people. My profile says Huntsville, but I don't live in a city, we live 30 miles from it.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    @bethlauren8‌, yes, way more upstate...like south of Buffalo in the Alleghany Mountain foothills. And I am from Canada!
    @marekdds, my husband's family is "down country, Alabama", outside Union Springs towards Auburn. Small world.
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    You are in a beautiful part of the country chamblisk!
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just love hearing where everyone is from. I live in a rural community. La Habra Heights Ca. Is in the hills above north Orange County. I'm 10 mins from the city, 30 mins from Disneyland. I get the best of both worlds. We have lots of critters up here too.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    I would love to visit Disneyland someday. Have been to CA 2x for meetings but didn't get much exploring done.
  • lilyandree59
    Options
    I am also from Canada chamblisk...born and raised in northern eastern Ontario although my parents and siblings are all in southern Ontario now. I have been in southern Manitoba for the past 21 years, considered part of the Canadian prairies. Brandon is a city of about 47,000 so I am close to just about everything. We are about 1hour 15 minutes from the North Dakota border.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    How far northeast? North of Ottawa? I was born and raised in Toronto by Newfoundland parents. Once a Newfie, always a Newfie ... and I spent enough time to love the "Rock" and its culture. However, I transplanted to the US and married a southern boy. We took our kids on a road trip over the course of 2 summers...took the Trans Canada Highway from Mile Marker 1 in St. John's to Mile Marker 1 in Vancouver and traveled back along the northern US states. With the exception of Montana, we all preferred our time in Canada. We stayed in Winnipeg while in MB but remember going through Brandon. Winnipeg had a great Farmer's Market right downtown by the Capital Building. And the kids loved the street artists! Great memories. Doesn't have much to do with this thread that we are on though...hahaha. Maybe I am exercising my brain cells with a walk down memory lane. Does that count?
  • AnnetteOwenby
    AnnetteOwenby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I started, I could walk only 5 minutes on the treadmill, now I'm up to 30 minutes. I'm happy to have progress but have a long way to go. Exercise is not something I enjoy yet. I also live on a hill but I'm not able to walk up it yet.

That's where I'm at now. Barely able to walk 5 minutes on the treadmill. Having COPD & battling depression makes it difficult . My smoking (that I must STOP) doesn't make things any easier. I have a huge problem getting & staying motivated.
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Hi Annette! Baby steps! I started my return to exercise by getting back in the pool (Took MEGA amounts of courage to put on a bathing suit in front of my co-workers!!) The first day, I was afraid I wouldn't even be able to climb back out on the ladder much less EVER swim all the way to the other end! But I knew I had to do something if I wanted to survive and enjoy my retirement years. Since that day, I have progressed to swimming continual laps, up to a mile. My joints are looser and my flexibility has increased. I am also walking more, using the treadmill and AMT, even started weights. You have started your journey now to better health and fitness. It will be a slow process, but you can do it. My motivation comes as I see the small changes. Things are getting better! (I hadn't really remembered those first days back in the pool until I was sharing my experience with you....it is really gratifying to look back and see how far I've come!!!Thanks!)
    By the way, JourneybyT dropped out of MFP but some of us who found each other through this 50+ thread have friended each other and keep tabs on our progress together. We don't communicate through here much any more. You are welcome to join me.