Low carb cream cheese?

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    I just looked up keto Tiramisu recipes. 3 recipes have expresso in them. I don't like coffee, so I doubt I would like it. I don't even know what expresso is, other than its a type of coffee. :(

I'll look for other Marscapone recipes though... Can I bake with it like CC?

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet

Tiramisu is supposed to taste like coffee, hence why I don't like it. I've seen people make it using cocoa powder/brewed cocoa instead of the espresso. And while I'm not a coffee person either, my guy is, so Espresso is generally a high quality of concentrated coffee/caffeine/antioxidants, etc. I believe this started as a high quality Italian thing. It is typically served straight in those little tiny cups (to regulate) and is considered the creme de la creme of coffee, so to speak. I don't think I've ever met anyone who appreciated coffee who was not also a fan of espresso. I know it is supposed to be less bitter, as it comes from a different bean.

As for how to use Marscapone cheese, there are a ton of recipes, and there will be recipes for that in cheesecake and other desserts too. I don't think I've ever had it on it's own....
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It will help in your searches if you look for "espresso" instead of "expresso". :wink:
    I LOVE coffee...pre-keto, I had a bit of a mocha habit (espresso coffee shots + chocolate syrup + milk substitute all frothed up and delicious). Holy Jeebus. If I was feeling naughty, I'd add a touch of raspberry syrup, too, for a chocolate raspberry mocha. I'd tell myself it wasn't quite THAT bad, because I always asked for half the normal amount of syrups.

I think you will have to just try the mascarpone cheese when you get it. Right out of the tub. Once you taste it, you can start to imagine ways to use it. Fiance likes to mix his with nut butter (his fave is macadamia nut butter).

Also, you will be pleased to know that The Googlez (heh) seem to indicate people have used mascarpone cheese to make cheesecake. Mmm...what would Brian Boitano make??

-T.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled across this on pinterest. I haven't tested the recipe so I don't know how it tastes but might be worth a try.

http://www.foodfanatic.com/2014/09/mascarpone-cheese/
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    I just stumbled across this on pinterest. I haven't tested the recipe so I don't know how it tastes but might be worth a try.

http://www.foodfanatic.com/2014/09/mascarpone-cheese/

Just like making panner but using cream... Interesting
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Watch when you buy Marscapone - some have a higher carb count than others. I accidentally picked one up at walmart that had 2 carbs per ounce, while the one at Trader Joe's is 0, if I remember correctly, or <1 (I can't remember off the top of my head!) I now buy it at Trader Joe's. I also think Trader Joe's just tastes better, too.

I currently buy Philidelphia Deli Style Cream Cheese mostly because I can get it at Costco, but also because it has a low carb count on it. It's 1 carb for 2 tbsp. It's probably how they whip it but it feels like it goes further than regular style.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    I actually have plans to make a keto tiramisu with the "ladyfinger" layers made of the "I Breathe I'm Hungry" cream cheese pancakes soaked in coffee.

Please post your results! I'd love to try that!