New members - tell us about yourself

Options

Replies

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Luthien007 wrote: »
    Hi all, My name is Maree - I'm 51 and I am married and have 3 sons (22, 19 and 17). I've been on MFP for almost 3 years now ( wow that time flew by). I lost a stack of weight in the first 15 months (woman on a mission) and then maintained well for the next 8 months until I turned 50 at xmas time. Gradually a few extra kilos have come back over the last 12 - 15 months and its take to take back the reins. I'm tracking carefully...Feel free to add me as a friend if you think we could support each other :)
    ~Maree (off to burn

Maree – sounds like a plan. Your commitment comes thru loud and clear. It’s comments like this ( you lost a stack of weight – did great maintaining for months – and are now catching things early) that reminds me of how important it is to remain vigilant.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    bambione wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my name is Karen. I'm 62 and just started using MFP this week. I just finished my 6th day. I have four kids, 24,23,21, and 17. I never had a weight problem growing up, and even after my 4th child was born at the age of 45 I was doing fine. But the stress of working full time, and having four young children made me go on anti depressants. I started gaining weight and gaining more and now I'm up to 195 lbs. I should be at maybe 140 but right now I'm starting with a goal of 20 lbs. then I'll set another goal. I broke my ankle over three years ago and am still having problems with that. I'm trying to walk more and so far so good. Although today it snowed, I'm from Colorado so it snows into May so couldn't walk. I'm in overall good health except for weight. I love MFP. Entering the calories is so much fun and it's really motivated me to stick to 1310 calories. Which is what it picked for me. I never realized that a slice of Costco pizza has 700 calories in it! My motivating factor is I want to remain in good health and I know being overweight can lead to a lot of problems.

Bambione – I can understand your ladder approach to goals. It’s pretty much what happened to me. As for the pizza – it really was MFP that had me see the light. Of course, I knew pizza was heavy in calories – but even a slice of plain cheese at my local grocer is around 400 calories – and I never just ate 1 slice. LOL – good luck
  • NikonPal
    Options
    smd305 wrote: »
    Hi everyone my name is Sue. I have been struggling with my weight & yo-yo dieting since I was 16. I am the mom of 2 & grandma of 1 & I am getting scared that my weight problem will never be resolved. I am at my highest weight ever of 165 but I am 5' 2" so that is too high. I have had success with weight watchers many times but always gain it back. I am trying MFP now because logging my food & seeing what other people are doing is helpful. But it's so hard to get going. I binge eat at night when everyone else goes to bed.

Sue – I think yo-yo dieting is a prerequisite – lol. From Weight Watchers to Medifast to Nutrisystem to – you name it – I have done it. I lost weight but never lasted more than a few months. I found MFP and it has been my answer. I do not consider what I did this time a “diet.” I lost 200+ pounds by changing my habits/lifestyle. I have been calorie counting since 2013…As for “snacking” I must say it is the first thing I subtract from my calorie bank each day. It might be a Fiber Bar, Jello, 100-calorie popcorn or WW treat – but I know I will want something and rather than “fail” I always planned it into my day. Good luck. This is a great group.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    BBee5064 and I started this site in November 2014 as I was inspired by some of her comments in another forum....Sorry if this sounds depressing, its not supposed to be. I've been thankful for having the opportunity of reading about all of your successes and following your weight loss stories. Some of you I know a little more about as you are the originals on the site. I'm glad that each and every one of you have found the site and are working towards your goals. Good luck to all of you on your journeys !!!
    Heart2Health

Heart2Health – First – I’d like to thank you and BBee5064 for starting this group.

It is in fact hard to find groups in our age category. Unlike you I don’t struggle with being “older” – everyone else is getting older (especially on TV) – but I am still in my 30’s or thereabouts (I can’t decide exactly) – just a bit of elderly humor.

I can somewhat relate to your heart issues. My brother and a sister both passed in thier 60's from heart-related issues. I have a couple cardiologists of my own (LOL) and take various meds throughout the day. I’ll stop there and simply say - MFP has been a true blessing for me in many ways.

You have certainly been dealing with a ton of stress beyond anything I have had to deal with. You have been hit from so many directions – you deserve special kudos for not giving up. You are an inspiration to others.

Wishing you continued progress in all aspects of your life!
  • heart2health
    heart2health Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I appreciate it.

I figure you have three choices when something happens to you in life,

You can either let it DEFINE you,
    let it DESTROY you
    or you can let it STRENGTHEN you.

I'm working on the last one.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    IHeart2Health, you've been through a lot. Many people would have folded under all those difficulties. I hope you continue to go from strength to strength as you continue recovering and improving your health.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    Options

Hi everyone my name is Sue. I have been struggling with my weight & yo-yo dieting since I was 16. I am the mom of 2 & grandma of 1 & I am getting scared that my weight problem will never be resolved. I am at my highest weight ever of 165 but I am 5' 2" so that is too high. I have had success with weight watchers many times but always gain it back. I am trying MFP now because logging my food & seeing what other people are doing is helpful. But it's so hard to get going. I binge eat at night when everyone else goes to bed.

Hi Sue! Your story is my story with the exception that I weigh a lot more! Plus, I have been, like some others, on every diet known to man/woman. The madness is never ending, but one thing I know for sure is that I will have to track my intake and exercise the rest of my life..so no more diets..it has to be a lifestyle.

One thing that helps me at night is to "shut the kitchen down".. clean up, put everything away, ect. Then I clean my teeth. Once I do that, and if there nothing on television or I don't want to read or I don't want to be tempted to eat, I just go to bed. You can do this!
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »

Sue – I think yo-yo dieting is a prerequisite – lol. From Weight Watchers to Medifast to Nutrisystem to – you name it – I have done it. I lost weight but never lasted more than a few months. I found MFP and it has been my answer. I do not consider what I did this time a “diet.” I lost 200+ pounds by changing my habits/lifestyle. I have been calorie counting since 2013…As for “snacking” I must say it is the first thing I subtract from my calorie bank each day. It might be a Fiber Bar, Jello, 100-calorie popcorn or WW treat – but I know I will want something and rather than “fail” I always planned it into my day. Good luck. This is a great group.

The yo-yo dieting and history of weight watchers, jenny craig, nutrisystem, medifast etc etc. is so common.
    MFP has been the exception for me. I rarely spoke to other attendees/clients and certainly didn't open up in the way I can on MFP. Here I can hear from people just like me about their successes and failures, experiences and hopes. Its much more real. Also, I'm a numbers gal and calorie counting works for me. It gives me the information I need to set goals and make choices.
    Basically it gives me control. If it is to be it's up to me :)
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Luthien007 wrote: »
    NikonPal wrote: »

The yo-yo dieting and history of weight watchers, jenny craig, nutrisystem, medifast etc etc. is so common.
    MFP has been the exception for me. I rarely spoke to other attendees/clients and certainly didn't open up in the way I can on MFP. Here I can hear from people just like me about their successes and failures, experiences and hopes. Its much more real. Also, I'm a numbers gal and calorie counting works for me. It gives me the information I need to set goals and make choices.
    Basically it gives me control. If it is to be it's up to me :)

I agree totally when you say - "certainly didn't open up in the way I can on MFP." I had a relative asked if they could look me up and follow on MFP and if I would accept as a friend. I said probably not and that - MFP was the one place I could openly make statements without "drama".

I'll never understand why people post their drama on FB (sometimes cryptically without clear explanation) and then are confused or hurt because people make judgements about their actions. LOve MFP.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi. I turned 59 today. Married and two grown sons. This is the third time in my life that I have needed to drop a sizable amount of weight. I thought the last time would be the last. Now I know that I will always need to log and weigh (and I'm ok with that). Since the beginning of January, I have lost about 24 pounds. I would like to lose about another 65 I think. I am taking it slow.

My dr was so excited about my weight loss. She said we tell patients to lose weight but they rarely do. I promised that I would keep going. I don't have any health problems except slightly elevated heart rate. It has come down a little. I will be stepping up my exercise as I lose. I had knee replacements about 8 years ago and it is bad to be overweight, so I want to lose a little more before I expose them to too much activity. I belong to Curves for Women and do some exercise videos and get some steps in. I got a Fitbit Flex and it has been pretty motivating. I like gadgets. I'm happy to be in this group.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Hi susu, Happy Birthday!
    Losing 24 pounds in less than 4 months is great. You should be very proud of yourself.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday susu. You are in the right place. This the final stop on weight loss, lose it and keep it off. I did, You can too..
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday susu and congratulations on the weight loss. I have a fitbit too and love it. I've been working on 10000 steps a day and am on a bit of a streak at the moment. I do the Leslie sansone walking dvds in front of tv at night to lift my step count if needed. This is a great group
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Happy Birthday SuSu!
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the birthday wishes! I celebrated with a margarita, mexican food and a piece of white bakery cake. I probably went over about 1000 calories but I've been planning for it by cutting back a little each day but I am back on my plan today. I'm sure that it won't slow me down much and I'm so happy to be in control. Got a little water weight gain this morning but I'm sure it will go back down in a couple of days.
  • lollye51
    lollye51 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi.
    Thanks for letting me join. I am from the UK. Liverpool. Here same as everyone else...get rid of weight and become healthier. I have three sons. Two grown one living at home. One cat and one dog.
    Lorraine
  • bibliocephalus
    bibliocephalus Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Heart2Health-- it's wonderful to see you back here, it sounds like life really handed you some tough challenges, and yet you have persevered. My hat is off, and my heart goes out to you. I hope the support you find here will help, as you recover from such difficult times.

• marekdds
    Options
    Welcome lolle51, we are all in this together and we can do it.
  • JamieIveyMahaffey
    JamieIveyMahaffey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So good to read your stories...All my young life I never weighed over125 lbs but after taking care of my elderly parents for 5 years and traveling for my new job I gained over 30 + lbs. I joined mfp and lost 25 lbs in 2013 only to gain it all + some...after I had to have corneal transplants times 3. It's like I never realized how much weight I had gained. Now I'm back on mfp, seeing better, and back to riding my bicycle. Determined to get healthy and stay that way. I'll be 56 in July. Jamie
  • marekdds
    Options
    Welcome Jamie! Terrific attitude coming back after life threw you curves.