bulletproof coffee FAIL

Options
bluefish86
bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
Yesterday I tried bulletproof coffee for the first time (well, bulletproof tea really as I don't have a coffee maker at home). It looked and smelled amazing... so I banged back very quickly and almost immediately I got the feeling that I was going to **** myself. For the next 3-4 hours I was incredibly nauseated and had a wicked migraine. It was like the worst hangover ever.

Then the nausea passed and I suddenly felt amazing. Like, really amazing. Almost euphoric! I felt like I was a furnace that had just been refueled... I had so much energy, and I wasn't even hungry until almost 3:00pm!

It was only because of this extremely positive after-effect that I decided to try it again today (cautiously). This time I used tea that was not brewed as long I halved the amount of coconut oil I used (as I've heard that can have a laxative effect). I drank slowly, making sure I was really listening to my body for any of the nasty effects I experienced yesterday. This time, I had no upset stomach, no migraine... the only problem is I was starving by 10:30am! I also don't seem to have the same energy level as before.

Was it a placebo effect? A fluke?

I am very curious to see if anyone has had any similar experiences and/or advice. I am trying to get my fat % up and this seems like a good way to do it... I'm just clearly doing it wrong! LOL

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh, that doesn't sound a fun experience. I drink instant coffee with coconut *milk* in it. Is instant coffee an option for you? I have had coconut milk in tea and it's not all that brilliant. I'm imagining that coconut oil would be worse still.

It takes a little while to learn how to easily reach your macros each day so don't get too worried. Butter or cream or coconut milk/cream can be nice additions to add to other foods as well.

• jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have heard several times that coconut oil can make you feel nauseated if you are not used to it. I had the same problem....minus the 'furnace'. Haven't tried Bulletproof coffee for that reason but I have read you can add quarter the amount then build up your tolerance. I just prefer putting butter on everything,lol.
  • bluefish86
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can do instant, I just prefer to wait until I'm at work so I can have my Timmy Ho Ho's!

I'm thinking of maybe adding some full-fat cream but I'm having trouble finding some that is grass fed.

More butter is pretty much my answer for anything and everything. :D
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do instant and any cream I can get here (Dubai) that doesn't have thickeners added. Nothing as sophisticated and natural as grass fed anything here! Lol. We do have Timmy Ho Ho ' though if you mean Tim Hortons??? :)
  • bluefish86
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    We do have Timmy Ho Ho ' though if you mean Tim Hortons??? :)

Yes, I absolutely do. :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You changed too many things at once. You probably drank it too fast which is why you felt sick. Try the original amounts and drink it slowly and see what happens.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    Did you try it with butter in it ? I don't put heavy cream in my BPC, just 1 part MCT oil and 2 parts unsalted butter. Maybe you're not used to the coconut oil ?

I do feel very energized after drinking mine.
  • bluefish86
    Options
    Originally I used about 25g of butter, 1 tbsp of coconut oil per 500ml brewed tea.... today I only used 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil because that's what I suspected made me feel so ill. In retrospect, it was probably not the best idea to chug it like a sports drink.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Yesterday I tried bulletproof coffee for the first time (well, bulletproof tea really as I don't have a coffee maker at home). It looked and smelled amazing... so I banged back very quickly and almost immediately I got the feeling that I was going to **** myself. For the next 3-4 hours I was incredibly nauseated and had a wicked migraine. It was like the worst hangover ever.

Then the nausea passed and I suddenly felt amazing. Like, really amazing. Almost euphoric! I felt like I was a furnace that had just been refueled... I had so much energy, and I wasn't even hungry until almost 3:00pm!

It was only because of this extremely positive after-effect that I decided to try it again today (cautiously). This time I used tea that was not brewed as long I halved the amount of coconut oil I used (as I've heard that can have a laxative effect). I drank slowly, making sure I was really listening to my body for any of the nasty effects I experienced yesterday. This time, I had no upset stomach, no migraine... the only problem is I was starving by 10:30am! I also don't seem to have the same energy level as before.

Was it a placebo effect? A fluke?

I am very curious to see if anyone has had any similar experiences and/or advice. I am trying to get my fat % up and this seems like a good way to do it... I'm just clearly doing it wrong! LOL

It took me a good week to two to really get used to it. I was used to EATING my breakfast... Once I balanced everything out, it helped. I notice that if I drink some broth or just have a little salt straight an hour or two after my bullet proof tea, it keeps me feeling full and staving off that hungry feeling. I think it is just the electrolytes tipping out of balance from more fluids and without sodium, and I'm SOOO not putting salt in my tea.

I drink my tea pretty quickly now, but I've been drinking it a couple months. I didn't like the butter in it (though it is fabulous in broth), so I do 1-2 TBSP of coconut oil (usually aiming for 1 TBSP, but difficult to measure at work, so it's an estimate) with 4 TBSP of heavy whipping cream. I brew my tea double strength (two tea bags in 12-15 oz water), and use one packet of powdered stevia (just enough to take that edge off the tannins), so it is about 4.5 grams of carbs...but I'm generally not hungry until lunch - and if I am, I just have some salty and fatty goodness, and I'm right as rain.

When I first started, I tried gradually upping my coconut oil quickly, and that was bad. I had to step it back down and only up it a little here or there. I used to use 3 oz of HWC, and I'm going to cut that back even more (didn't like the coconut oil I tried), but there is a line on the measuring stuff I use that is easier for "on the go" and I honestly just keep forgetting to nudge back.

I have noticed something, though. I can't have anything with vinegar within an hour or two either side of anything with coconut oil - it has me sprinting for the bathroom... (Pickles used to be my go-to salt boost.) And coconut oil is a great fuel/energy boost. :)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing about heavy whipping cream...hiw much fat does it have per 100ml? Here there is just "cream".
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I keep hearing about heavy whipping cream...hiw much fat does it have per 100ml? Here there is just "cream".
    It's hard for us to get equivalents isn't it Minties? But I just use full-fat cream and I'm sure that would be the same thing.

• Dragonwolf
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    It's hard for us to get equivalents isn't it Minties? But I just use full-fat cream and I'm sure that would be the same thing.

To my understanding, HWC and cream are the same thing, or may be the equivalent to what many refer to as "double cream." We also have a "light cream," as well as half & half (because heaven forbid we just have cream and milk).
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding an egg or two with the BPC. It helped me with the nausea I first felt when I tried it. Basically pairing it with a bit of protein.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    Maybe try adding an egg or two with the BPC. It helped me with the nausea I first felt when I tried it. Basically pairing it with a bit of protein.

I did this, too, for a bit - pairing it with food - but I only have to do that now on HUNGRY days. :) But it definitely eased the adjustment.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    popsugar.com/food/Difference-Between-Heavy-Cream-Whipping-Cream-13491580

https://google.com/#q=heavy+whipping+cream+nutrition

At Wal-Mart in Murray KY the house brand is $4 per quart (32 oz.) which is about 3200 calories per quart. It is 36% or > butter fat by law. Drinking it straight tastes like the boiled custard that we can get around Christmas time from the milk case.

Half and Half milk has about a 1/3 if the calories/fat as Heavy Whipping cream. A cup of plain coffee with 10 to the 15 g/1 tablespoon little creamer cups will give one about 200 calories of mainly fat which can be a cheap snack at McDonalds.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »

How do you add the egg? Raw?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    As a kid the eggs were always raw but cooking the mix with the eggs mixed in at 160-180 F degrees is recommended to make the eggs safe from bacteria.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    As a kid the eggs were always raw but cooking the mix with the eggs mixed in at 160-180 F degrees is recommended to make the eggs safe from bacteria.

The coffee is generally brewed at that temperature (160-185F), so the act of mixing the coffee and the egg, while the coffee is still hot will do it. As an added bonus, that slight cook will denature the avidin in the egg white, so it no longer prevents biotin absorption.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee-frappe/

That said, you're more likely to pick up salmonella from your tomatoes than you are from eggs, anyway. http://www.medicaldaily.com/salmonella-food-poisoning-most-common-vegetables-not-meat-325070
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

The coffee is generally brewed at that temperature (160-185F), so the act of mixing the coffee and the egg, while the coffee is still hot will do it. As an added bonus, that slight cook will denature the avidin in the egg white, so it no longer prevents biotin absorption.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee-frappe/

That said, you're more likely to pick up salmonella from your tomatoes than you are from eggs, anyway. http://www.medicaldaily.com/salmonella-food-poisoning-most-common-vegetables-not-meat-325070

Any suggestions on common brands of pasteurized eggs? I though Eggsland's Best were, but it wasn't on the carton anywhere...
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Adding egg would negate the insulin-sparing effects of original recipe butter+MCT BPC.