Pre-diabetic diagnosis ~ how do I approach this lifestyle?

Options

Replies

• SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ALNoog wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with diabetes last week.

I had been sick for years and no one thought to check my blood sugar. I set my carbs at 100 but very rarely go over 50. My advice is do what you can now before it turns into full blown diabetes. I have to do more of a low glycemic index diet Because I also have diverticulitus and my stomach doesn't tolerate when I don't eat some "good" carbs.

Make sure not to skip meals, even if you aren't hungry just eat something small.

Thanks. I'm not generally a breakfast eater but I've been trying to eat something the past few days even if it's just an egg. If I wait till I get too hungry then I'm likely to make bad choices. :/ I feel ok around 50 carbs but it's extremely difficult to stay under that if it's a day that I have to eat away from home. Like today, I'm going to meet a friend for lunch. I haven't seen her in over 8 years. We're meeting at chik-fil-a because it's the only place around with a play area for my daughter but what can I get there that won't totally screw me over? I don't want to be rude and not eat but I will probably just eat something before I go. :/ I don't want full - blown diabetes. That's the main reason I'm doing low carb but losing weight would be great, too.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken and a side salad at chick-fil-a would be one of their best choices.
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    you can get chargrilled nuggets in different amounts, 4, 8, 12 and a side salad with various dressings. I find chick fil a an easy place to stay keto
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze wrote: »
    We're meeting at chik-fil-a because it's the only place around with a play area for my daughter but what can I get there that won't totally screw me over? I don't want to be rude and not eat but I will probably just eat something before I go. :/ I don't want full - blown diabetes. That's the main reason I'm doing low carb but losing weight would be great, too.

Grilled chicken sandwich, complete with mayo, lettuce, tomato etc. Throw away the bread. Easy peasy. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sorry, that was two choices, not one, lol!
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    I just checked out their website. Grilled chicken nuggets (8-pc) with buffalo sauce is 5 total carbs! I'm so extremely happy! Lol. I used to eat there all the time and I swear I don't remember them having grilled chicken nuggets. Is this new? Granted, I didn't care and always went for the fried, breaded stuff so I could have just overlooked it. But this is awesome! And I love all your suggestions! Thanks. <3
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    They started the grilled nuggets in the past year or two. They're not fabulous, they're better than they were at first, but they'll do.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    They started the grilled nuggets in the past year or two. They're not fabulous, they're better than they were at first, but they'll do.
    Yeah, that'll do for today, at least. I've never been crazy about that restaurant anyway.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    There is an excellent book often quoted by other authors called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volek PhD RD and Stephen Phinnery PhD MD. This explains in very understandable terms what to expect and concerns about setting your macros and many other things. I felt very prepared to go Keto after reading this book a few months ago.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I had been sick for years and no one thought to check my blood sugar. I set my carbs at 100 but very rarely go over 50. My advice is do what you can now before it turns into full blown diabetes. I have to do more of a low glycemic index diet Because I also have diverticulitus and my stomach doesn't tolerate when I don't eat some "good" carbs.

Make sure not to skip meals, even if you aren't hungry just eat something small.

Thanks. I'm not generally a breakfast eater but I've been trying to eat something the past few days even if it's just an egg. If I wait till I get too hungry then I'm likely to make bad choices. :/ I feel ok around 50 carbs but it's extremely difficult to stay under that if it's a day that I have to eat away from home. Like today, I'm going to meet a friend for lunch. I haven't seen her in over 8 years. We're meeting at chik-fil-a because it's the only place around with a play area for my daughter but what can I get there that won't totally screw me over? I don't want to be rude and not eat but I will probably just eat something before I go. :/ I don't want full - blown diabetes. That's the main reason I'm doing low carb but losing weight would be great, too.

Have you considered Bullet Proof Coffee or Tea in place of breakfast? I like coconut oil and heavy cream in my double strength tea. I'd been using Stevia, but I'm currently looking to wean myself there, too... A little water and on occasion some broth or salts for electrolytes and I'm golden until lunch time...
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze - Feel free to add me - gerrielips - I'm also "pre-diabetic" (I hate that term...it's like being told you're a "little bit pregnant"...anyway, I've lost 23 pounds to date following a low/slow carb approach. I've learned so much from the MFP boards re: Low carb eating. Lots of good information, a tremendous amount of support and also lots of information that is overwhelming at first. I started out just avoiding processed foods, bread, rice, potatoes and starchy vegetables - you can get a good idea of what to eat/not eat in the beginning by looking at the South Beach Diet. I'm like you, I have to have my fruits as well as vegetables, so I basically have skipped the step 1 of SBD, and followed phase 2. (and have 2 fruits a day - preferably the lower glycemic ones like strawberries) That will get you going at least...you'll find hints from the friends you make. It is too difficult for me to follow the strict LCHF approach as I'm older than you, and concerned about other medical issues. The slow way works best for me as it is sustainable and I've found that I do very little, if any, yielding to my old temptations. Are you on any medication, such as metformin? If so, let your doctor or endocrinologist know about your new way of eating...and if you can make an appointment with a licensed nutritionist who knows about low carb, that might also help get you started. You'll find that you'll be feeling so much better and that "bloaty" feeling will also go away.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    SazzySuze you are getting good suggestions. The first two months (Aug-Sept 2014) I could not leave off the Carbs all of the time so I just had to stop them cold turkey because my time was running out being 63 and the doctors wanting me to start on a cancer causing shots in 30 days. Now 7 months later after stopping cold turkey I have only lost an additional 20 pounds eating only low carb high fat but getting off carbs prevented me from needing to start Enbrel injections for pain management. I lost 20 pounds the old way before I found LCHF eating lifestyle.

While I will lose another 35 pounds for the last 40 years my problem was not been losing weight BUT my problem has been REGAINING weight after losing it. Today I am not a pound heavier than I was 5 months ago (a record for me) but still losing in size per people that see me once a week. I weigh each morning and my range has been 3 pounds on either side of 209 after being 250 AGAIN for the past three years.

My rambling point is there are many ways to make low carb high fat work for oneself. As of the first of Nov 2014 I had not lost the first pound on low carb but lost 10 pounds in Nov and 10 more pounds by Feb 2015. At my age my goal is to lose 10 pounds and go a while without any regain then lose 10 more with no regain. I do not look at any charts but eat mostly high fat until I get full and daily weigh my butt. My Health-O-Meter scales states I should eat 2300 calories a day but I can not remember the rate of loss, time to lose it that was programmed into the scales.

In my head I monitor % of Fat, % of water content and BMI. It was a great day when the BMI readout went under 30 and stayed. Dieting has very little role as to weekly loss rate in my view/experience but is my weight working down year over year to some "idea" weight after my BMI dropped below 30 so I am not labeled obese any longer by the US government. :)

Again there is no right or wrong way as long as the 'way' works for one. I was aware I was never going to weight food and count calories because I only eat breakfast at home typically. Eating out 15 times a week is not a problem after I got the hang of LCHF. It is the pot luck dinners that nail me if I am not careful. Weighting my butt daily tells me everything I need to know and the chart my progress. I keep about 30 days of numbers on the back of junk mail.

The wife is still into carbs and sodas but is evolving to eating better but still is fearful of fat. The 17 year old son and daughter still eat a lot of processed foods but the daughter is watching the carbs a bit. They let me eat what I want so I do the same. :) I have never really understood/experienced peer pressure in my life so that helps in my case I am sure to do LCHF. :)
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ok, so, I have been pre-diabetic for about 8 years or so . I am 5' 3" and I am 34 years old. I have a lot of weight to lose and here is what I am doing...ketogenic diet. it is so good for those of us with blood sugar issues. your diet would be made up of mostly fat, some protein and very little carbs. I don't really trust the figures that MFP gives so I trust my research and my gut. For now I am not logging my food because I want to see how things go for a while. So far I have lost 20 pounds. I recommend these books: The Bullet Proof Diet and Keto-Adapted. Good luck to you and if you have any questions let me know.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Have you considered Bullet Proof Coffee or Tea in place of breakfast? I like coconut oil and heavy cream in my double strength tea. I'd been using Stevia, but I'm currently looking to wean myself there, too... A little water and on occasion some broth or salts for electrolytes and I'm golden until lunch time...

No, I haven't considered that. I don't even know what bulletproof coffee is. Lol. Ice seen people mention it here and there but I don't exactly know what it is. If I switch to something like that, it's gonna really suck that I just bought a box of stevia from Costco with about 800 packets in it. Lol. Perhaps I could use the stevia for something else? I just recently weaned myself from sugar to stevia and still not quite used to it yet, but I'm getting there.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Fvaisey wrote: »
    There is an excellent book often quoted by other authors called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volek PhD RD and Stephen Phinnery PhD MD. This explains in very understandable terms what to expect and concerns about setting your macros and many other things. I felt very prepared to go Keto after reading this book a few months ago.
    Thanks. I'll see if I can maybe find this at the library. Little short of funds at the moment. :/
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    gerrielips wrote: »
    SazzySuze - Feel free to add me - gerrielips - I'm also "pre-diabetic" (I hate that term...it's like being told you're a "little bit pregnant"...anyway, I've lost 23 pounds to date following a low/slow carb approach. I've learned so much from the MFP boards re: Low carb eating. Lots of good information, a tremendous amount of support and also lots of information that is overwhelming at first. I started out just avoiding processed foods, bread, rice, potatoes and starchy vegetables - you can get a good idea of what to eat/not eat in the beginning by looking at the South Beach Diet. I'm like you, I have to have my fruits as well as vegetables, so I basically have skipped the step 1 of SBD, and followed phase 2. (and have 2 fruits a day - preferably the lower glycemic ones like strawberries) That will get you going at least...you'll find hints from the friends you make. It is too difficult for me to follow the strict LCHF approach as I'm older than you, and concerned about other medical issues. The slow way works best for me as it is sustainable and I've found that I do very little, if any, yielding to my old temptations. Are you on any medication, such as metformin? If so, let your doctor or endocrinologist know about your new way of eating...and if you can make an appointment with a licensed nutritionist who knows about low carb, that might also help get you started. You'll find that you'll be feeling so much better and that "bloaty" feeling will also go away.
    Thanks for the friend request. I added you. :) and thanks for the info!
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    SazzySuze you are getting good suggestions. The first two months (Aug-Sept 2014) I could not leave off the Carbs all of the time so I just had to stop them cold turkey because my time was running out being 63 and the doctors wanting me to start on a cancer causing shots in 30 days. Now 7 months later after stopping cold turkey I have only lost an additional 20 pounds eating only low carb high fat but getting off carbs prevented me from needing to start Enbrel injections for pain management. I lost 20 pounds the old way before I found LCHF eating lifestyle.

While I will lose another 35 pounds for the last 40 years my problem was not been losing weight BUT my problem has been REGAINING weight after losing it. Today I am not a pound heavier than I was 5 months ago (a record for me) but still losing in size per people that see me once a week. I weigh each morning and my range has been 3 pounds on either side of 209 after being 250 AGAIN for the past three years.

My rambling point is there are many ways to make low carb high fat work for oneself. As of the first of Nov 2014 I had not lost the first pound on low carb but lost 10 pounds in Nov and 10 more pounds by Feb 2015. At my age my goal is to lose 10 pounds and go a while without any regain then lose 10 more with no regain. I do not look at any charts but eat mostly high fat until I get full and daily weigh my butt. My Health-O-Meter scales states I should eat 2300 calories a day but I can not remember the rate of loss, time to lose it that was programmed into the scales.

In my head I monitor % of Fat, % of water content and BMI. It was a great day when the BMI readout went under 30 and stayed. Dieting has very little role as to weekly loss rate in my view/experience but is my weight working down year over year to some "idea" weight after my BMI dropped below 30 so I am not labeled obese any longer by the US government. :)

Again there is no right or wrong way as long as the 'way' works for one. I was aware I was never going to weight food and count calories because I only eat breakfast at home typically. Eating out 15 times a week is not a problem after I got the hang of LCHF. It is the pot luck dinners that nail me if I am not careful. Weighting my butt daily tells me everything I need to know and the chart my progress. I keep about 30 days of numbers on the back of junk mail.

The wife is still into carbs and sodas but is evolving to eating better but still is fearful of fat. The 17 year old son and daughter still eat a lot of processed foods but the daughter is watching the carbs a bit. They let me eat what I want so I do the same. :) I have never really understood/experienced peer pressure in my life so that helps in my case I am sure to do LCHF. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! Ugh..potlucks. I have one of those to go to Sunday afternoon. I don't even wanna think about it. I can lose weight easily, but I always gain it back or stall for so long that I just give up.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    ok, so, I have been pre-diabetic for about 8 years or so . I am 5' 3" and I am 34 years old. I have a lot of weight to lose and here is what I am doing...ketogenic diet. it is so good for those of us with blood sugar issues. your diet would be made up of mostly fat, some protein and very little carbs. I don't really trust the figures that MFP gives so I trust my research and my gut. For now I am not logging my food because I want to see how things go for a while. So far I have lost 20 pounds. I recommend these books: The Bullet Proof Diet and Keto-Adapted. Good luck to you and if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks for the info! And congrats on the loss.
  • kleighsamboer33
    kleighsamboer33 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bullet proof coffee is hot coffee plus a tablespoon or two of butter plus a tablespoon or two of coconut oil blended together. I do add some stevia to mine. Just a little though. Those books I mentioned you can get on amazon. the kindle version is cheaper.
  • SazzySuze
    Options
    Thanks! Bullet proof coffee is hot coffee plus a tablespoon or two of butter plus a tablespoon or two of coconut oil blended together. I do add some stevia to mine. Just a little though. Those books I mentioned you can get on amazon. the kindle version is cheaper.
    I don't own a kindle. :/ But I'll see what I can find. I was just looking through the launch pad links and saw the definition of bulletproof coffee and fat bombs but didn't see any actual recipes or measurements so I wasn't sure. Does the coffee taste bitter like that?