Work lunches

Options

Replies

• Kayla21279
    Kayla21279 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will definitely be trying some of these. Such great ideas! I normally just pack a salad, or just some little baggies of fruits, veggies, etc. So obviously not very exciting
  • mcintoshhelen
    mcintoshhelen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Also, swapping normal bread for a sandwich 'Thin' is a good idea too! A whole sandwich thin has 100 calories. Warburtons, Kingsmill and some others do them. They're also very good tasting and don't add bulk to your lunchbox/bag/whatever you use.
  • nicolerekunyk
    nicolerekunyk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    in what order do you place things in the mason jar lunch? Do you put dressing in with it or on the side?
  • kaz1350
    kaz1350 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    nlfellows wrote: »
    kaz1350 wrote: »
    mom2boys43 wrote: »
    I am a fan of the mason jar lunches. I make 4-5 at a time and then I just grab one in the morning. If you pack them tightly they stay fresh. I have made mixed salads (I dump it into a bowl at work for easier eating, I even add chopped avocado and just put a slice of lemon on top of the avocado layer and it stays green vs. brown and slimy. I also like quinoa with a balsamic dressing, chopped chicken and whatever else you like such as cranberries and scallions. When I do these, I am much better about having a decent satisfying lunch each day.

I love mason jar lunches - today are red, yellow and orange bell peppers, then a cucumber layer, a bit of onion, then cherry tomatoes, then Trader Joe FF feta crumbles and then I cram as much spinach into the top as I can get. I have a packet of tuna to put in for lunch. Homemade dressing - lemon juice with a bit of Olive Oil. Delish

How do you transport your dressing? Just little separate container?

I make homemade dressing for mason jar lunches - you can add as first ingredient to bottom of mason jar or I make enough for the week only and keep at work on my back desk - that way the EVOO doesn't solidify
  • kpstl
    kpstl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try some of these!! I end up bringing dinner leftovers pretty often. I find it's much easier for me to stay on track if I set aside some time on Sunday to prep for the week. I'll chop veggies for salads, bake casseroles, or make big pots of soup and put single portions in the freezer so in the morning all I have to do is grab and go!
  • ScreamingInside
    ScreamingInside Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of bentos for lunches or any other meal really. And you can use any resealable plastic container so there's no need to buy a "bento box" unless you find them to cute to resist like I did :smile:
    Bentos are meant to be eaten at room temp so what ingredients and letting them cool before closing the box is important. Also the foods are done in small portions so you only get a couple bites of each. Cold food in large quantities isn't tasty but a few bites can be yummy. Plus they are nutritionally sound if made right.
    Jar lunches are great too.
  • ribenarach87
    ribenarach87 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So this is my first post, it would seem fitting that it'd be about my favourite thing, food! I make a salad for work each day, and try to use as many colours, tastes and textures as possible. This beauty contains spinach, kale, rocket, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, bell pepper, radishes, celery, cucumber, beetroot, sugar snap peas, cottage cheese, walnuts and a boiled egg! I like to use things like avacado, olives, gerkhins, pickled onions, almonds and pecans too. I find changing it up stops me getting bored!

jr5ka7qwl8yr.jpg
  • kadesbully088
    kadesbully088 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread, hummus, grape tomato, cucumber,
  • jkisses83
    jkisses83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches. It's a sub that uses a cucumber as the "bread." Cut a whole cucumber in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with whatever you like...lunch meat, cream cheese, lots of fresh veggies, hummus, chicken/tuna/egg salad, a little salmon. The possibilities are endless. The one in this picture had lean deli turkey, ham, and roast beef, cream cheese with assorted veggies finely chopped and mixed in, and baby spinach leaves. I made mango and avocado slices as the side. For me this is better than a burger and fries any day!
    bczpla24q24x.jpg

This looks really good....never thought of using veggies as a bread substitute!!
  • cruth428
    cruth428 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the frozen steamable vegetable bags, easy to grab and tasty. They have them now with rice or pasta as well.
  • Patterson50
    Options
    Can you make the Mason salads a week at a time without them getting soggy?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    trumnivdg9sx.jpg
    I have been doing Bento box style. There is another thread for them on the main recipe forum. I find it fun and makes me want to look forward to my lunch!
  • scratchdesk
    scratchdesk Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can you make the Mason salads a week at a time without them getting soggy?

Nothing gets soggy because the dressing is at the bottom. We generally put the dressing layer down then put in the red & green peppers, cucumbers, broiled chicken then the leaves. Or any variety you wish to use. As another member mentioned just use the most hearty ingredients at the bottom and the rest will be fine. When you're ready to eat just shake it all up. Sometimes I'll place the jar upside down in the fridge an hour early to help the dressing mix (depends on what you use). We make the salads on Sunday for Monday -> Friday lunches. Do fresh fruit cups in small jars too as a snack or lunch companion.
  • Crystalp2281
    Crystalp2281 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get on Pinterest for Mason jar meals!! I'm a Pinning Addict, and there is LOTS of really good recipes, ideas, hacks on there for weight loss/foodfight! ;) Feel free to find me....usamom2
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I use half of an avocado in place of mayo with half a packet of tuna. I smoosh the avocado together with the tuna. I sometimes have it on a toasted whole grain English muffin and other times just eat it like a salad. It's filling and delicious.
  • allyblue1128
    Options
    Thank you for all the great ideas!
  • livinmydreamsthruJesus
    Options
    I like to make turkey burgers. I mix 1lb ground lean turkey with 6 sundries tomato halves, (chopped), with 1/4 cup feta, 2 oz. Frozen spinach, 1 egg, and 1/3 cup breadcrumbs. Form 6 patties, and grill or pan fry. It's only about 130 calories per patty, depends on the ingredients you use, and if you add in the egg and bread crumbs. The egg and bread crumbs are optional, they just help hold the burger together when grilling, but if you're patties are sticking together just fine, omit the egg and crumbs for even fewer calories! Serve with cucumber slices, tomato slices, and red onion slices.
  • kriskrey
    kriskrey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite lunches. It's a sub that uses a cucumber as the "bread." Cut a whole cucumber in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill with whatever you like...lunch meat, cream cheese, lots of fresh veggies, hummus, chicken/tuna/egg salad, a little salmon. The possibilities are endless. The one in this picture had lean deli turkey, ham, and roast beef, cream cheese with assorted veggies finely chopped and mixed in, and baby spinach leaves. I made mango and avocado slices as the side. For me this is better than a burger and fries any day!
    bczpla24q24x.jpg

This looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the idea, I have to try it!
  • time2toneupp
    time2toneupp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    isalo1300 wrote: »
    Onigiri! They're rice balls. Since in Japan rice is they're staple not bread they make onigiri as opposed to sandwiches. Use brown rice instead of white and put whatever you want inside. Tuna and mayo is popular, so is some veggies, cream cheese and salmon. I like to put marinated tofu from last night's stir-fry in! It's really feeling because of the rice. Oh and don't forget to wrap it in nori! (That's roasted seaweed ;))

• time2toneupp
    time2toneupp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!!!