Primal egg coffee... holy cow!

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
Trying my first primal (whole) egg bulletproof coffee this a.m., and I gotta say- holy cow, this is good. Who would've though that junk food junkie me would enjoy things like this?

Is amazing what kinds of stuff your body starts craving when you cut out all the junk!

Replies

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Did you put the salt in?
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I had one this morning... 2 eggs, salt, Coconut oil and butter. It was really good. I think I need to make the coffee a little stronger next time.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I added the salt, cinnamon, and vanilla this morning, and I don't know how but it was more bland than yesterday. Maybe it was the less HWC I used? Ugh. Will try the salt but maybe only one of the other two or something. I will work this recipe out! Keeps me full almost 8 hours!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I added the salt, cinnamon, and vanilla this morning, and I don't know how but it was more bland than yesterday. Maybe it was the less HWC I used? Ugh. Will try the salt but maybe only one of the other two or something. I will work this recipe out! Keeps me full almost 8 hours!!!

This might sound weird, but back when I was drinking it regularly, I found that a little sugar (like 1/2-1tsp) acted a lot like salt often does -- bring out the flavors and give the flavors more "body." And it had to be real sugar, too. The sweeteners I tried didn't do it. I still can't figure out why it does that. It's possible the HWC has enough sugar in it (from the little bit of lactose) to have the same effect.
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I forgot the salt! I also thought the coffee needed to be stronger. I've been experimenting with making my coffee progressively weaker to see how little I can get away with using, and I think for this recipe I need to up the amount a little. I'll have to try cinnamon and vanilla next time too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I think the recipe specified double strength coffee. For my LOADED TEA, I already do double strength.
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

This might sound weird, but back when I was drinking it regularly, I found that a little sugar (like 1/2-1tsp) acted a lot like salt often does -- bring out the flavors and give the flavors more "body." And it had to be real sugar, too. The sweeteners I tried didn't do it. I still can't figure out why it does that. It's possible the HWC has enough sugar in it (from the little bit of lactose) to have the same effect.

It might just at that. I used 4 packets of stevia, and hardly a dent in the flavor factor. I was trying the primal egg stuff to try to compromise my usage of heavy cream because of carbs, but I'll try a compromise tomorrow. I can always add more heavy cream!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Say whaaat? Egg in coffee?!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »

Recipe Links. I use the second recipe in the first link...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee-frappe/
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    That does look yummy. I was thinking you were adding eggs to hot coffee and was the imaging the whites going solid in the hot water and how revolting that would be. My partner makes something similar but with cocoa.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That does look yummy. I was thinking you were adding eggs to hot coffee and was the imaging the whites going solid in the hot water and how revolting that would be. My partner makes something similar but with cocoa.

Exactly what I was thinking, "Wouldn't the hot coffee cook the egg?" Well, I am still too chicken to try it, but I think I will try the egg yolk in my salad dressing next time I make it so I don't have to shake the mix every time.
    I will ask those of you who tried it, how does it compare to BPC made with cream? Same froth, oily feel, or not?

Here's a question for any egg yolk recipe - What do you do with the whites?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Exactly what I was thinking, "Wouldn't the hot coffee cook the egg?" Well, I am still too chicken to try it, but I think I will try the egg yolk in my salad dressing next time I make it so I don't have to shake the mix every time.
    I will ask those of you who tried it, how does it compare to BPC made with cream? Same froth, oily feel, or not?

I just do whole eggs for the primal egg coffee, and for my mayo. In the past, when I've done stuff that requires only the yolks, I might whip the whites and make meringue cookies. I'm also the type that would probably find a way to boil or otherwise cook the whites if I had more on hand, because for whatever stupid reason, I love cooked egg whites (I seriously would not be opposed to just eating the whites of hard boiled eggs, if it weren't for the fact that all the good nutrients are in the yolk). If all else fails, I'd give them to my dogs or use them in a hair treatment (the biotin in the eggs is great for hair).
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

Has anyone tried that frappe version? Does it stay suspended while you drink it?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

My standard BP variety uses heavy whipping cream and coconut oil with a little sweetener. I used these in the egg recipe, too. The hot coffee does cook the egg, but in the same manner custard is cooked on the stove top. Slowly adding heat to the eggs and blending is the key to cooking them without creating solids.

It has FAR FAR more froth. Like over an inch higher froth WITH the eggs. The taste difference is negligible, though it is more hearty and stays with you. Yesterday, I didn't eat lunch until 3 pm after having it and breakfast, and even then, drinking the first half, waiting an hour, then finishing the second half. There is NO oiliness whatsoever. Because the egg emulsifies the blend, the coconut oil stays completely suspended, even when it cools to room temperature which is not the case with standard BPC/BPT.

I think the second recipe (the whole egg recipe) only calls for 8 oz of double strength coffee/tea though, and my cup I use is 12 oz...so mine might be diluted a bit. Though when heating it back up, I've easily added 4-6 oz of straight hot water without losing taste.

I'm still working on tweaking the combination to my favorite (it took my a few weeks with just the BP version, so not surprising. I will continue to play with it to find the exact combination I love, but I'm HOOKED.

I was scared of it at first, I admit, but it does work just like blending custard if you've ever done it.

As for the whites, just blend them in with whatever egg stuff you make next, if you don't follow some of @Dragonwolf's ideas!

@minties82 I'd love to hear what your partner does, because I was thinking how to try to do this with cocoa, too, so I could have some variety since I can't stand coffee! LOL Thank for sharing! It had been on my mind. I bet it just adds richness!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Has anyone tried that frappe version? Does it stay suspended while you drink it?

I have not tried it, but there is zero separation in the hot blend, so with the egg's natural emulsifying properties, I can't imagine it separating...
  • lizziewonka
    lizziewonka Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I also used the second recipe in the first link. I just finished this after sipping on it the past half hour or so (I started getting full halfway through). I was a bit hesitant on adding in ingredients so I stuck to tsp rather than tbsp, but I'm thinking I should've done tbsp for more flavor. That's not to say it wasn't yummy though! Surprisingly, I enjoyed it very much. I was afraid of the heat of the coffee with the eggs, so I let the coffee cool just a bit before drizzling it in with the blended eggs. You won't mind if you like cool coffee, however I like it hot and I wish I tried it that way. I added in: ground cinnamon, honey instead of sugar, butter and a pinch salt. It helps that after it's blended, it doesn't look gross at all and smells delicious! I can't wait to try different variations.
    Don't wonder how it is, make it and taste it for yourself! You'll be surprised.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Word of warning - I don't recommend using cocoa if you make this with hot tea. Just saying.

I also used the second recipe in the first link. I just finished this after sipping on it the past half hour or so (I started getting full halfway through). I was a bit hesitant on adding in ingredients so I stuck to tsp rather than tbsp, but I'm thinking I should've done tbsp for more flavor. That's not to say it wasn't yummy though! Surprisingly, I enjoyed it very much. I was afraid of the heat of the coffee with the eggs, so I let the coffee cool just a bit before drizzling it in with the blended eggs. You won't mind if you like cool coffee, however I like it hot and I wish I tried it that way. I added in: ground cinnamon, honey instead of sugar, butter and a pinch salt. It helps that after it's blended, it doesn't look gross at all and smells delicious! I can't wait to try different variations.
    Don't wonder how it is, make it and taste it for yourself! You'll be surprised.

And you don't need it to cool at all. Pour the coffee into the eggs slowly and blend (rather than the other way around). You'll raise the egg temp so you don't get egg drop coffee...
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Hell, I've never had any issues with the egg cooking, and I even just cracked a couple of eggs into a cup of coffee I had the other day. Most coffee makers don't make it hot enough to cook the egg between the time you join it with the coffee and you actually blend it. In fact, the coffee is usually about the right temperature (180-200F) to kill any salmonella bacteria that might be in/on the egg.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think I'll retry this someday when I have an espresso maker. As it stands, the drink just doesn't have enough of a coffee flavor for me. Getting to drink coffee in the morning is enough of a treat for me. I also found that it isn't keeping me fuller any longer than without the egg. But maybe espresso will be strong enough that this will be enjoyable.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try adding egg to a broth?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I think I'll retry this someday when I have an espresso maker. As it stands, the drink just doesn't have enough of a coffee flavor for me. Getting to drink coffee in the morning is enough of a treat for me. I also found that it isn't keeping me fuller any longer than without the egg. But maybe espresso will be strong enough that this will be enjoyable.

Try making it Bulletproof and Primal...and yes, the recipe calls for double strength coffee...but I can see espresso being helpful! :)

Anyone ever try adding egg to a broth?

Yes and no, and you're in the same situation, if it is hot from the spicket thing, it isn't hot enough to cook it, but what I've done it TRYING to make it like egg drop soup. I haven't tried it to add the richness to the broth itself. That sounds like a fabulous thing to do when under the weather!!!! I might have to try this tonight, but there is absolutely ZERO reason it shouldn't work in any hot liquid. Just don't do what I did and microwave the egg with the broth thinking it will heat it up ... you'll end up with scrambled eggs in broth. LOL

Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Hell, I've never had any issues with the egg cooking, and I even just cracked a couple of eggs into a cup of coffee I had the other day. Most coffee makers don't make it hot enough to cook the egg between the time you join it with the coffee and you actually blend it. In fact, the coffee is usually about the right temperature (180-200F) to kill any salmonella bacteria that might be in/on the egg.

LOL - sorry, it's my inner pastry cook screaming at me about not scrambling the eggs in custard, etc. I guess the liquid is significantly warmer in that situation.